Kevin B Moses

With the #35 pick, Memphis Selects Ivan Rabb

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Grizball said:

No one knows how serious his injury is and you can't trust what they say. If he needs surgery it would be wise not to sign him this year and simply hold onto his rights and free up a roster spot. As for Brooks, unless they have a plan already to trade Ennis and/or Daniels, I don't see where the minutes would go for him. We already have a rotation of Parsons, Mclemore, Evans and Selden not counting Ennis and Daniels. My guess is that once they know whether they can retain Jam they will start making moves to clear up roster spots and start signing rookies to NBA or two-way contracts. If Jam is gone, we will need to trade some of our guys to get a PF and that will solve the logjam at the wing. I think Ennis, Daniels, Wright, Martin and Baldwin are all candidates to be traded. The key is Jam and what Brooklyn is gonna do. They are the only threat right now.

How many times does it have to be said they are not signing the rookies to two way contracts especially not Brooks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was so Right about the Rabb pick being bad all three of Bolden Ojeleye and Bell have looked good yet we took the dude that had been injured since the workouts hell did they even get to watch him work out against anyone???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

How many times does it have to be said they are not signing the rookies to two way contracts especially not Brooks

Once a day until their signings are announced. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

How many times does it have to be said they are not signing the rookies to two way contracts especially not Brooks

But can they go ahead and sign him to a 2 way till he gets healthy and give themselves more time to clear up roster spot?  It's kinda odd how quickly they jumped on Kobi for a 2way but have yet to mention a target for the other one.  Seems like they are holding it to see how the roster shakes out.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

How many times does it have to be said they are not signing the rookies to two way contracts especially not Brooks

 

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

But can they go ahead and sign him to a 2 way till he gets healthy and give themselves more time to clear up roster spot?  It's kinda odd how quickly they jumped on Kobi for a 2way but have yet to mention a target for the other one.  Seems like they are holding it to see how the roster shakes out.   

I guess I was wrong, It takes more than once a day! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

I was so Right about the Rabb pick being bad all three of Bolden Ojeleye and Bell have looked good yet we took the dude that had been injured since the workouts hell did they even get to watch him work out against anyone???

I'll call Wallace and find out.

Hold my beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two and a half weeks from the start of training camp and no word on the Grizzlies signing Ivan Rabb to a contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Two and a half weeks from the start of training camp and no word on the Grizzlies signing Ivan Rabb to a contract.

Typical Wallace fiasco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Two and a half weeks from the start of training camp and no word on the Grizzlies signing Ivan Rabb to a contract.

 

2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Typical Wallace fiasco

 

Great pick! :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jetfixer said:

I think it's more of Rabb and his agent not wanting to sign a two way.

I think the knock on Wallace is not anticipating this prior to the draft. However the two way contract is a new reality and players and agents will have to adapt. Second rounders (other than foreign pick-and-stashes) don't have a lot of leverage if they want a shot in the NBA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

I think the knock on Wallace is not anticipating this prior to the draft. However the two way contract is a new reality and players and agents will have to adapt. Second rounders (other than foreign pick-and-stashes) don't have a lot of leverage if they want a shot in the NBA.

Players and agents don't HAVE to do anything. How about having a plan BEFORE you trade for draft picks with a full roster of crap you signed and can't give away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

Players and agents don't HAVE to do anything. How about having a plan BEFORE you trade for draft picks with a full roster of crap you signed and can't give away.

Oh, I agree completely, I'm just saying that the scenario has changed slightly for most 2nd rounders. Players who are offered two way contracts would simply receive no offers before (other than to play in the G-league). I'm personally not a fan of the two way contracts, I'd rather turn the G-league into a true minor league, with all players being allowed to play in the NBA under certain circumstances and with well defined compensation. But it's a new possibility and it will be used in contract negotiations with borderline NBA talents. 

Now, did the FO account for this draft Rabb knowing he would not have a regular roster spot and he might not accept a two way contract or did they simply not even consider the possibility and have now messed up the plans to round up the roster?

In case it's not clear, the question is rethorical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a double whammy on the kid, super high expectations out of high school (maybe could have signed for big money early) and 2 years later he is injured at a time that stops him from earning his way on a roster during summer league. Even without the injury, he was probably not helping us this year. And isn't the injury why he fell to us in the first place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tangogriz said:

he was probably not helping us this year.

well considering we are thin as heck at PF/C I think he could of contributed a little. And you gotta remember we got fiz who isn't afraid to play youngins, unlike Hollins and Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

well considering we are thin as heck at PF/C I think he could of contributed a little. And you gotta remember we got fiz who isn't afraid to play youngins, unlike Hollins and Dave.

Really?!!  The coach whose initial starting lineup consisted of three rookies, one second-year guy, and another in his third season.  The guy who started rookie Xavier Henry over OJ Mayo?  The same guy who started second year Sam Young over OJ after Henry was injured? The guy who went with rookie Greivis Vasquez as his primary backing PG?

You must have been watching a different LH than I was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

well considering we are thin as heck at PF/C I think he could of contributed a little. And you gotta remember we got fiz who isn't afraid to play youngins, unlike Hollins and Dave.

Maybe he still will contribute. So many things are up in the air about this team. There are interesting times ahead. I hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

Okay I stand corrected haha I just remember in recent years rookies haven't gotten burn. I guess it was just Dave

Maybe the young guys we had then just weren't that good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm are they giving up on JAM?  With JAM you would have 18 bodies. 4 pgs, 4 2 guards, 4 SF, 3 PF, 3 C.  Not sure who goes I would guess Baldwin, Daniels, Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could have done this at first and not waste a summer of development. But Wallace burns through draft picks like Tyrone Biggums and crack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geoff Calkins is reporting Rabb deal is 3 years, first two fully guaranteed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now