Kevin B Moses

With the #35 pick, Memphis Selects Ivan Rabb

People on the board seem to hate this pick.

It's funny, a player that is similar to Rabb who the board loved was Bobby Portis. I'll leave it at that.

I haven't seen anyone say they hate the pick but maybe I haven't looked. Anyway, for the second year in a row, we have taken a big who was supposedly a solid first round pick (if not a lottery pick) who had fallen. If things work out we could get 2 solid backup bigs for years to come. I pretty much think both Rabb and Davis will be in the G league for most of next year. Dillon Brooks may be another Sam Young type. 

6 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I haven't seen anyone say they hate the pick but maybe I haven't looked. Anyway, for the second year in a row, we have taken a big who was supposedly a solid first round pick (if not a lottery pick) who had fallen. If things work out we could get 2 solid backup bigs for years to come. I pretty much think both Rabb and Davis will be in the G league for most of next year. Dillon Brooks may be another Sam Young type. 

I'm most intrigued with Dillon Brooks. He's a big body SF.

not really sure why he was all the way down in the draft like that other than he was older than all the freshman selected :/

Dillon Brooks has a motor which is nice and he wants the ball in his hands at the end of games, something the team has needed for years. I think the team did great in this draft considering they came in with no draft picks. Good job Wallace and the FO.

Coming into draft with no picks.......coming away with a ( last year lottery pick) and another good looking player is fine with me.

The drafts of the past have done a complete 180 to what we have seen the past 2 years.

13 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

Coming into draft with no picks.......coming away with a ( last year lottery pick) and another good looking player is fine with me.

I couldn't agree more. I don't see any Robert Archibald over Carlos Boozer picks here either. People may have wanted Semi or Jordan Bell or someone else but they shouldn't be complaining about who the Grizzlies got late in the draft.

The only player selected after him that would have interested me was Thornwell because of our inability to produce points at the SG position. However, he is not the type of player this organization has traditionally drafted (pure scorer). 

Seldin is likely just as good if not better than Thornwell anyway.

Yeah Wallace is proving that the 2nd round is where he excels.  He either doesn't have a clue (Jarrell Martin), his hands are tied (Hasheem Thabeet), or he lets someone else convince him of something egregious in the 1st round (Jordan Adams). 

7 minutes ago, Dark-Child said:

Yeah Wallace is proving that the 2nd round is where he excels.  He either doesn't have a clue (Jarrell Martin), his hands are tied (Hasheem Thabeet), or he lets someone else convince him of something egregious in the 1st round (Jordan Adams). 

Good point and welcome to the boards!   

I still believe that Hollinger and Wallace are splitting these picks.    Rabb is obviously a Wallace pick but Dillon strikes me as a Hollinger move. 

19 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Good point and welcome to the boards!   

I still believe that Hollinger and Wallace are splitting these picks.    Rabb is obviously a Wallace pick but Dillon strikes me as a Hollinger move. 

Yes I have heard talk of that as well, so it is no wonder that year after year we are dealing with a disjointed and unbalanced roster.  There is an overall lack of cohesion and we still lack in certain areas that do not get addressed.  The Backup PG situation is an annual scab on the wound of what could have been for the season.  Now they could argue that they are going to address the backup PG and starting SG during free agency, but with the limited budget we all know the solutions will not have us warm and fuzzy.  Throw in the potential grenade of an unmatched offer for J. Green and we have (3) positions that have to be addressed and no satisfying solution in sight. Hence picks that do not strike at the heart of weaknesses leaves us with the same problems.  

4 minutes ago, Dark-Child said:

Yes I have heard talk of that as well, so it is no wonder that year after year we are dealing with a disjointed and unbalanced roster.  There is an overall lack of cohesion and we still lack in certain areas that do not get addressed.  The Backup PG situation is an annual scab on the wound of what could have been for the season.  Now they could argue that they are going to address the backup PG and starting SG during free agency, but with the limited budget we all know the solutions will not have us warm and fuzzy.  Throw in the potential grenade of an unmatched offer for J. Green and we have (3) positions that have to be addressed and no satisfying solution in sight. Hence picks that do not strike at the heart of weaknesses leaves us with the same problems.  

Where have you heard this talk?

For a few years now, the local press and radio pundents have speculated that they were alternating picks because some picks were more Wallace then Hollinger.  Here is a quick recap

2012 1 25 Tony Wroten - Wallace        
2013 2 41 Jamaal Franklin - Wallace        
2013 2 60 Jānis Timma - Hollinger        
2014 1 22 Jordan Adams - Hollinger        
2015 1 25 Jarell Martin - Wallace         
2016 1 17 Wade Baldwin - Hollinger/Wallace        
2016 2 57

Wang Zhelin - Hollinger  

13 minutes ago, Dark-Child said:

For a few years now, the local press and radio pundents have speculated that they were alternating picks because some picks were more Wallace then Hollinger.  Here is a quick recap

2016 2 57

Wang Zhelin - Hollinger  

The local media are basically glorified fans. And their model is to be a talking head.

I don't take what they say with a grain of salt. 

9 hours ago, Dark-Child said:

2016 2 57

Wang Zhelin - Hollinger  

Welcome to the boards, and thanks for adding some quality posts. You'll figure out KBM pretty soon.

10 hours ago, Dark-Child said:

2016 2 57

Wang Zhelin - Hollinger  

Jamaal Franklin - Wallace

This is the one that gives you away.

8 hours ago, tangogriz said:

Jamaal Franklin - Wallace

This is the one that gives you away.

Franklin was a levien pick

I think Rabb is not a bad pick. A traditional back to the basket low post scorer and a very good rebounder with good mobility and athleticism for his size is a pretty good get in the second round. While everyone is talking about stretch 4 and position less players, getting back to the old school basics may also get you a player who will be in the league for a long time.

I didn't like Rabb on initial viewing b/c I didn't think he had traits to be all-round player. After examining him more closely I think he can be an effective bench player. One thing we know he can do is rebound. He did it very well in NCAA, and boardwork translates. If he can do that one thing and grow his game out from there, he can be good enough to get on the floor as a rotational big.

He already has some semblance of a post game, but it isn't really all that effective or consistent. That's a negative that doesn't really matter all that much. I doubt he'll be used as a post scorer very often. All he really needs to be effective is a good mid-range jumper off pnr, and a respectable 3pt. shot would be a plus. He needs to get more consistent, but he's pretty much got those things already. Hit the J and control the boards, and congrats you have yourself a reason to exist in the NBA. I don't see him ever being good on D. He doesn't have the agility to control pnr or track or play closeouts. Strangely he is not a good shot blocker despite his physical profile. On the bright side he is right-sized w/ length so he should be able to guard the post after bulking up 10lbs or so. He changes ends well. Don't forget defensive rebounding is a part of defense if not the biggest part and he excels at that.

So basically we've got a A- rebounder who can blend in well enough w/ an offense, and isn't a huge liability on D. I'd trade a future 2nd for that. I think people that hate this pick are viewing him as a total player, and not valuing his proficient qualities to where you can see his eventual NBA niche.