Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Needing to move on after a family loss

chipc3    0

Our family is in mourning. We had a death in our house. It is always sad to lose something that has become a such an integral part of the family so my family and I have been silently grieving the last few days.

However, life goes on and we will need to replace our 55" TV and are considering going bigger. Any suggestions?  

On 6/5/2017 at 0:45 PM, chipc3 said:

Our family is in mourning. We had a death in our house. It is always sad to lose something that has become a such an integral part of the family so my family and I have been silently grieving the last few days.

However, life goes on and we will need to replace our 55" TV and are considering going bigger. Any suggestions?  

The only offer of comfort I can offer is that 70" and 75" TVs are now available, and there will be no comfort unless there is a significant upgrade to your TV system.

Not sure if the brand matters much these days. My living room tv died about a year and a half ago and I got a new 60" LG tv. I ordered it on Amazon (on Christmas Day) where it was already discounted and I got an extra $300 off in a flash sale so I got it really cheap. it's okay from a distance, but if you get too close, it's really pixelated. I had been a Samsung loyalist up until then. I think they may still make the best. Sony has improved but is still way overpriced. I didn't go for 4K cause I may move the LG to a game room in the near future and get a brand new larger one for my living room but prices have fallen dramatically on those, so you might as well make sure it's 4k even though no one is really broadcasting in 4k. I think Amazon and Netflix and few movies can be seen in 4K but it's so cheap now might as well go that route. 

I guess sit all depends on how much you are willing to pay. If you want to go high end at one of those electronic specialty stores, I can't help ya. If you are going the normal retail store Best Buy/Amazon route, I would say most name brands are safe these days-Samsung, LG, Sony, Toshiba, etc. I think the technology has been around so long most companies can make good tv's. Also, I don't use my smart TV, I still use my Roku. The number of HDMI ports may be something to consider as well if you want to keep Roku or Apple TV or Chromecast or Amazon Firestick. I have 4 HDMI ports on mine and can accommodate DirecTV, Roku and PS4. I also have 2 USB ports. I also have a sound bar but it is connected through the optical port. Some of the cheaper tv's generally have 2 HDMI ports and maybe 1 USB port. You need to tally how many things you have hooked up to your tv as well. I do know people who bought tv's that don't have enough ports and they plug and unplug. 

Hope that helps. I also use CNET and PC Mag reviews for stuff like that. 

TimBC    0

Of course you've seen all those online calculators that tell you how big a screen you need, based on room size etc. 

For me, it's the closeups. When they zoom in on a player and I can see the individual pores and nose hairs, that's as big an image as I need, thanks. And you can see how much makeup the news and drama people have to wear because of the high resolution and huge screens ... 

chipc3    0

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I settled on a 75 inch Samsung with 4G capability and it looks great. The US Open was incredible with the picture quality and size. I even rewatched an old Grizzlies game to see if it improved the picture and it's like being at the game. I'm not giving up my season tickets but if I ever have to I will be placated watching the game at home now and road games will be more enjoyable.