GrizzTigerFan

Memphis Hustle - It's Official

I can dig it. Definitely going to have to get some gear.

I love the tie ins with the Grizzlies, the color scheme and the name. Great job by the Grizzlies marketing heads. 

My initial reaction was that I didn't like it. However, after reading why the name was chosen, it's starting to grow on me. In addition, I live much closer to the Landers Center, it's more affordable for me, and I can hopefully see some developing players. I don't get to many Grizz games in person.

I will be buying a shirt and confusing everyone in Maine with it. I hope they play in Portland this year so I can see them. 

I like how they pulled in the TAMs colors, which seemed to be popular with the fans.

I get the Hustle being a synonym for Grit n' Grind, but I wish they hadn't picked a name with a clear "street" connotation.  Hustle on the basketball court is commendable.  Hustling in a side alley off of Beale is not.  And lest you think I'm being overly concerned, the article announcing this at NBA.com made it clear that that connotation was fair game.  

At the end of the day, we're talking about a minor league affiliate, so it probably won't ever be of note enough that the major media will mention it.  But sometimes one can be too clever.

19 hours ago, The Truth is OUT said:

I like how they pulled in the TAMs colors, which seemed to be popular with the fans.

I get the Hustle being a synonym for Grit n' Grind, but I wish they hadn't picked a name with a clear "street" connotation.  Hustle on the basketball court is commendable.  Hustling in a side alley off of Beale is not.  And lest you think I'm being overly concerned, the article announcing this at NBA.com made it clear that that connotation was fair game.  

At the end of the day, we're talking about a minor league affiliate, so it probably won't ever be of note enough that the major media will mention it.  But sometimes one can be too clever.

Good grief. When people start complaining about a minor league franchise's name because they are stretching to relate it to something while ignoring the actual reason for the name then people are revealing they have too much free time. 

Myself included! 

9 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Good grief. When people start complaining about a minor league franchise's name because they are stretching to relate it to something while ignoring the actual reason for the name then people are revealing they have too much free time. 

Myself included! 

Well, if I'm stretching, NBA.com got there first.

I didn't say I hated it. I said it was unfortunate that there was an obvious double-meaning that the marketers couldn't possibly have missed, so they must not have cared, or were prepared to encourage it.  This is the same franchise that plays "Whoop that Trick!" at games with no irony whatsoever, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised by it.  

It feels like the Macon Whoopee to me.  But then again, that turned into marketing gold, so what do I know?

9 hours ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Well, if I'm stretching, NBA.com got there first.

I didn't say I hated it. I said it was unfortunate that there was an obvious double-meaning that the marketers couldn't possibly have missed, so they must not have cared, or were prepared to encourage it.  This is the same franchise that plays "Whoop that Trick!" at games with no irony whatsoever, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised by it.  

It feels like the Macon Whoopee to me.  But then again, that turned into marketing gold, so what do I know?

People who want to see the negative interpretation can always find it. Hustle is clearly a basketball term and one that suggests a positive not a negative connotation. Hustle fits in with the Grit and Grind mantra of the parent club as well. It can be misconstrued but I don't believe anyone will attend games looking to find a prostitute. If someone connects a basketball team's "hustle" with prostitution then that is there problem. 

This is very different from the Macon Whoopee team name that has no relevant sport analogy, has no connection to a parent franchise and clearly was simply thought to be a funny name. 

What a great first season for the Hustle. Wade Baldwin at PG, Dillon Brooks and Rade Zagoric on the wings, Ivan Rabb and Deyonta Davis on the inside. Jarrell Martin trying to find PT somewhere. Could be a fun team to watch. 

6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

What a great first season for the Hustle. Wade Baldwin at PG, Dillon Brooks and Rade Zagoric on the wings, Ivan Rabb and Deyonta Davis on the inside. Jarrell Martin trying to find PT somewhere. Could be a fun team to watch. 

I think as long as Martin is still here it will be him and Rabb in the front court. I see them possibly putting Simmons at pg cause Wade is gonna need to be with the big team this year. Don't think Rade spends a lot of time down there either.

18 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I think as long as Martin is still here it will be him and Rabb in the front court. I see them possibly putting Simmons at pg cause Wade is gonna need to be with the big team this year. Don't think Rade spends a lot of time down there either.

Dang. People are starting to argue about the Hustle's lineup now. This coming year is going to get crazy on the boards! :lol:

All those guys won't be in the g-league.

No way Martin plays in the g-league this year. It would be a major disappointment if Baldwin and Davis were in the league this year.

This summer league is make or break for Martin he overachieve they keep him if he just fits in they move him. Let's not forget cheap TJones will be out there if we lose green. 

I aatended the events' even had a chance to chit chat with Chris Wallace at the Landers center.

Love everything about the Memphis Hustle... except for the fact that it isn't in Memphis and isn't contributing to the Memphis economy.  

But the name, the marketing, the logo... I love everything else.  I kinda wish the Grizzlies could swap names with them. 

17 hours ago, chipc3 said:

martin is going to be a rotation play next year...watch and see

Saw on twitter DJ Stephens was working out with Troy Daniels. I wonder if DJ would play for the Hustle. He made Iowa Energy games worth watching. He most recently played in some Ukrainian league and won the championship. 

24 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

Saw on twitter DJ Stephens was working out with Troy Daniels. I wonder if DJ would play for the Hustle. He made Iowa Energy games worth watching. He most recently played in some Ukrainian league and won the championship. 

Unfortunately, many people will never forgive DJ....despite the fact that some of the ones judging him have done the same or worse.