6 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Simmons will make more than Jam this year

I mean everybody saw the playoffs and his potential so you not slipping a salary smaller than Dellavadova and Jon Leuer past this whole league. The best bet is to see if Selden can become a Simmons.

So Wallace's first move in free agency is to sign a player that the team had under contract. Brilliant.

I've been thinking about that.

My guess is if you want to extend him, you have to first decline the team option by July 1st.

So that is probably the reason.

9 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

My guess is if you want to extend him, you have to first decline the team option by July 1st.

Good catch. "Contracts for fewer than three seasons may not be extended." - NBA salary cap FAQ

From the beginning, I've felt Tony was more important to sign than ZBo because of the lack of quality options at the SG versus the PF position, but having watched only Day 1 of this Free Agency frenzy, maybe because there is significant number of options at the PF position, maybe JaM won't get the big offer most of us thought he would get.

Clippers got Blake. Pau likely back to Spurs. Mirotic will stay with Bulls.

Milsaps, Ibaka, are clearly better.

Zach is a better fit for a specific number of teams, which might include teams with a lot of youngsters.

Ilyasova, Taj Gibson, Amir Johnson, Patrick Patterson, and Jerebko are all in JaM's league, without the Restricted label.

You could possibly add Anthony Tolliver and Brandon Bass to that lineup as well.

That's a lot of options without having to worry about the restricted label.

8 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

From what i saw, they had to make a decision on picking up the option by 6/24. I'm pretty sure this way works out better for him. 

12 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

From the beginning, I've felt Tony was more important to sign than ZBo because of the lack of quality options at the SG versus the PF position, but having watched only Day 1 of this Free Agency frenzy, maybe because there is significant number of options at the PF position, maybe JaM won't get the big offer most of us thought he would get.

Clippers got Blake. Pau likely back to Spurs. Mirotic will stay with Bulls.

Milsaps, Ibaka, are clearly better.

Zach is a better fit for a specific number of teams, which might include teams with a lot of youngsters.

Ilyasova, Taj Gibson, Amir Johnson, Patrick Patterson, and Jerebko are all in JaM's league, without the Restricted label.

You could possibly add Anthony Tolliver and Brandon Bass to that lineup as well.

That's a lot of options without having to worry about the restricted label.

I've heard virtually no rumors about JaM. I don't see his name on many lists. We'll see how it works out. If we can keep him for $8 mil or less, I'm down. If we go over $10 mil, I have serious concerns. The problem is, if we don't bring him back, there aren't many available options out there.

7 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I've heard virtually no rumors about JaM. I don't see his name on many lists. We'll see how it works out. If we can keep him for $8 mil or less, I'm down. If we go over $10 mil, I have serious concerns. The problem is, if we don't bring him back, there aren't many available options out there.

If we loose both JaM and Z we are ratsh*t. Parsons aint a PF, he gonna get whupped by the likes of DMC, LMA, Griffin, Green etc. Heck we dont even know if he CAN play period.

I'd be looking at Patterson or TJones and hope JaM stays for under 10mil

4 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

If we loose both JaM and Z we are ratsh*t. Parsons aint a PF, he gonna get whupped by the likes of DMC, LMA, Griffin, Green etc. Heck we dont even know if he CAN play period.

I'd be looking at Patterson or TJones and hope JaM stays for under 10mil

Well, Suns just backed off of Millsap due to price point. Would they make a play for JaM?

great signing for wallace we are on track for our SUPER TEAM. this team will win 30-35 games next year

All this talk about moving Parsons to PF is silly.  He is not a good rebounder and cannot defend other PFs unless they are very undersized or total scrubs.  It would be a disaster for one of the worst rebounding teams in the league.  I think we will have to resign ourselves to the fact that he will just be a slow SF with good size and (hopefully) good offense if he recovers from his surgeries.

I wonder how GSW is going to manage their contracts after giving that huge deal to Curry.  Thompson and Green already have substantial deals and they have very few others signed and they still need to resign KD.  Of course a ton of vets wanting a ring will agree to play with the champs for peanuts to get a ring, but still...

30 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

All this talk about moving Parsons to PF is silly.  He is not a good rebounder and cannot defend other PFs unless they are very undersized or total scrubs.  It would be a disaster for one of the worst rebounding teams in the league.  I think we will have to resign ourselves to the fact that he will just be a slow SF with good size and (hopefully) good offense if he recovers from his surgeries.

I wonder how GSW is going to manage their contracts after giving that huge deal to Curry.  Thompson and Green already have substantial deals and they have very few others signed and they still need to resign KD.  Of course a ton of vets wanting a ring will agree to play with the champs for peanuts to get a ring, but still...

How is Parsons any worse than Ryan Anderson on the boards and defensively and they won 55 games?

53 minutes ago, Dwash said:

How is Parsons any worse than Ryan Anderson on the boards and defensively and they won 55 games?

You left out the part where Harden also crushed the league record for turnovers in a season. I was never a fan of his, but D'Antoni getting the third most wins in the league out of that roster was amazing.

14 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

You left out the part where Harden also crushed the league record for turnovers in a season. I was never a fan of his, but D'Antoni getting the third most wins in the league out of that roster was amazing.

I didnt think Hardens turnovers were that big of a deal because of his high usage rate and his attempts to not only facilitate but to try and be the primary scorer.  It takes a lot to do both.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

I'm not a huge fan of Ryan Anderson, he's just okay, but size wise he can at least bang with other PFs.  You also left out the part where we get Harden an a ton of other guys who can hit the three-pointer to crush other teams offensively.

For our team it would be worse.

Anderson can get hidden though in their starting lineup that had Beverly, ariza, capella and harden who are all very good rebounders and can switch a lot.

Put Parsons in the starting lineup and you have Conley who is too small to pickup rebounding responsibilities and Gasol who rebounds like a girl.

55 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'm not a huge fan of Ryan Anderson, he's just okay, but size wise he can at least bang with other PFs.  You also left out the part where we get Harden an a ton of other guys who can hit the three-pointer to crush other teams offensively.

For our team it would be worse.

But we are only talking defensively. They are about the same size and same athleticism.  Anderson only plays PF exclusively because he cant dribble and Parsons can.

The Rockets also isnt the first team Anderson has played PF for so the point still remains if he can do it, Parsons can

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I don't think GSW is worried about going into luxury tax territory. Way more revenue streams than the Grizz and they are a perennial championship contender, I don't think the owner cares about luxury tax. Totally different situation from ours, totally different market, it's way richer.

26 minutes ago, Dwash said:

But we are only talking defensively. They are about the same size and same athleticism.  Anderson only plays PF exclusively because he cant dribble and Parsons can.

The Rockets also isnt the first team Anderson has played PF for so the point still remains if he can do it, Parsons can

Defensive rebounding is a part of defense and no, Parsons cannot bang with real power forwards.  Parsons is a better SF than Anderson, and Anderson is a better PF than Parsons, defensively too.  Anderson can be hidden on other teams with other rebounders, but on the Grizzlies with a dearth of rebounders it would be disastrous trying to hide Parsons, who is an even worse rebounder than Anderson. 

38 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Defensive rebounding is a part of defense and no, Parsons cannot bang with real power forwards.  Parsons is a better SF than Anderson, and Anderson is a better PF than Parsons, defensively too.  Anderson can be hidden on other teams with other rebounders, but on the Grizzlies with a dearth of rebounders it would be disastrous trying to hide Parsons, who is an even worse rebounder than Anderson. 

Parsons career defensive rebounding per 36 min while playing SF is 4.4 and Andersons is 4.6 per 36 while playing PF. So nope, Anderson isnt a better defensive rebounder, unless you think .2 per 36 is better while generally being stationed closer to the basket.

Just heard Vince on NBA TV talk about his free agency... he said he's in talks with Memphis, but he's waiting to see what their general approach is and the plans are. I think the Grizzlies don't know that on their own yet. When asked about "chasing the ring", Vince gave a bit of a disgusting look. He wants to play, doesn't wanna sit on the bench, so it's about opporunity for him. I assume he would like to stay in Memphis. At this point, I would keep Vince over Tony.