Grizzled Vet

Predictions on 2017 Free Agents

68 posts in this topic

For the start of the 2017-18 season, what do you think will be the location for each of the following players-on Grizzlies roster, on another team's roster, or UFA?

I've also included Wayne Selden as his contract is not guaranteed for next season (as far as I know). 

Please put clear predictions on top and commentary at the end.  Note: the predictions aren't about what you would do, but what you think the team does. 

Vince - Grizzlies

Zach - Grizzlies

Tony - Another team

JaM Green (RFA) - Grizzlies

Selden - Grizzlies

Obviously for any of these FA, I can see them somewhere else.

VC - I don't think it is a coincidence that Fizz has praised Vince repeatedly this offseason for helping develop the young players.  

Zach - If Marc wants him around, he stays. If not he'll get a contract elsewhere. I don't think the money will be there for a top stretch 4.

Tony - The reason he could stay is because of a relatively weak SG FA class, and he does bring something different to the table as a defender. But he's been hurt, and he will have value to a young team trying to reach the playoffs.  I could see him having the highest demand of the UFA.

JaM - I think the Grizzlies match whatever, barring it isn't too crazy.

5 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

For the start of the 2017-18 season, what do you think will be the location for each of the following players-on Grizzlies roster, on another team's roster, or UFA?

I've also included Wayne Selden as his contract is not guaranteed for next season (as far as I know). 

Please put clear predictions on top and commentary at the end.  Note: the predictions aren't about what you would do, but what you think the team does. 

Vince - Grizzlies

Zach - Grizzlies

Tony - Another team

JaM Green (RFA) - Grizzlies

Selden - Grizzlies

Obviously for any of these FA, I can see them somewhere else.

VC - I don't think it is a coincidence that Fizz has praised Vince repeatedly this offseason for helping develop the young players.  

Zach - If Marc wants him around, he stays. If not he'll get a contract elsewhere. I don't think the money will be there for a top stretch 4.

Tony - The reason he could stay is because of a relatively weak SG FA class, and he does bring something different to the table as a defender. But he's been hurt, and he will have value to a young team trying to reach the playoffs.  I could see him having the highest demand of the UFA.

JaM - I think the Grizzlies match whatever, barring it isn't too crazy.

Vince - returns

Zach - my gut is telling me he may be gone. This is the first time since he arrived that I've felt this.

Tony - my gut tells me if Zach is gone, he stays; if Zach stays he is gone

JaM - gone, a team like Brooklyn offers him big money, we don't match

Sheldon - stays

As you asked, this is what I think will happen, not what I would do

Wallace remains undefeated in resigning the core 4. JAM walks. VC claims he isnt ring chasing but goes and does it anyway. Selden is back.

Zbo - stays on a team friendly deal

Jam - gets overpaid offer from another team that we don't match

Ta - stays on a player-friendly deal to be convinced to come off the bench

Carter - goes to the raps or magic to finish his career

Selden - option picked up

Say they sign Zbo/Ta to deals worth under their cap holds. They'd have the mle n bae to pickup another upgrade or two. Plus the option s&t for a free agent as well. 

I think everybody might be back. I think the grizzlies might be interested in dealing Wright.

TA, Vince and Zbo are all guys that help our younger players improve, and I also think seeing Manu and Tony do what they did in the playoffs against the grizzlies will convince pera that it is the right move.

Zbo - stays on a team friendly deal OR gets hurt in camp and retires

Jam - gets lousy offers, stays

TA - gone after being told he's 9th man at best; shocked at the lowball offers he gets; retires

Carter - goes to the raps  OR signs here as playing coach/15th man who steps in when someone's hurt

Selden - option picked up

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:48 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

Good eye. We will see how much the FO is invested in Fizz. If they are, then I would have to agree, and add that ZBo is gone. All too often the offense grinds (pun intended) to a halt when ZBo gets the ball.

I also think another team will out price the Grizzlies for Jam, TA is done in Memphis, and Selden is kept.

ZBo - I think there is a decent chance ZBo will be gone because some teams out there will offer him a bigger contract than MEM is willing to pay him.

TA - Same goes for TA. I only see TA stays if we can get him for cheap. But more likely he may get 8M+ per year for 2-3 more seasons.

JAM - he is a goner. His market value will likely be 15M+ per year which is out of our range.

VC - If all three are gone, I think FO may want to keep VC with the vet min. His veteran presence and his relationship with Parsons cannot be overlooked.

Selden - will likely be here next season.

so far what i.m hereing the will be a 34 team win club

Bump to see if anyone else has predictions (about current Grizzlies FAs) before Free Agency starts.

21 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Jam gets 4 years 44 million. And we don't lose Zach, tony or vince

So essentially bring back the same team that has lost in the 1st round 3 out of the last 4 years?

34 minutes ago, Allen said:

So essentially bring back the same team that has lost in the 1st round 3 out of the last 4 years?

Yes, because keeping these players aren't going to hurt the team and I like the idea of the rookies learning from zbo, tony and vince.

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Yes, because keeping these players aren't going to hurt the team and I like the idea of the rookies learning from zbo, tony and vince.

What have the young guys ever learned from Zach and TA? And how would we know if they can play if they're buried on the bench?

I've heard good thing about VC, especially with him taking Deyonta under his wings and building him his own room. Plus there's Mike and Marc. A new direction is necessary.

.After really thinking about it Zbo is the only one I want to bring back because he's the only one who's role I can't figure out how to replace. 

Jam- easily replaceable Ennis could do what he does honestly. So could a couple of these second round bigs with a year under their belt. (Kyle Kuzma) 

TA - replaceable at this stage of his career both Harrison and Seldon showed flashes of being good wing defenders while offering slightly more than TA on offense.  They will get better with time TA will get worse. 

VC - replaceable his versatility  to play different  positions can be mimicked by Rade,  Ennis,  and Seldon so can his shooting.  And like TA they  will get better where he will retire.  Plus I'd like for him to win a championship 

So with Zbo I don't see anyone who can bring his scoring to the second unit or his ability to be the go to guy in the clutch when he's on.  There's no one in the draft and aside from Tyreke there is no one we could chase in FA. 

If the Grizz could somehow get Kyke Kuzma I'd take him and pray Jam gets offered a big deal that they can't match and between Ennis Parsons,  Rade,  Kuzma,  and Jarell I'd let them battle it out in training  camp for that position next to Mark. 

Sidenote we have to trade Wright for either a wing or a vet back up pg.  Or Pray Harrison takes a big step this offseason. 

Until further notice, I have no reason to believe that anything the Grizzlies do will be outside of status quo.

I think I would be okay letting both Zbo and Tony go. I hear you Ndq0327 about Zbo but if we decide to keep Wright, he could be a backup big with Deyonta.

The rotation of Jam+Marc and Wright+Davis would be better because of length and speed.

Zbo has his moments but has become so **** slow. Teams exploited this way too much during the season which really added stress to Marc having to cover more on defense.

20 minutes ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I think I would be okay letting both Zbo and Tony go. I hear you Ndq0327 about Zbo but if we decide to keep Wright, he could be a backup big with Deyonta.

The rotation of Jam+Marc and Wright+Davis would be better because of length and speed.

Zbo has his moments but has become so **** slow. Teams exploited this way too much during the season which really added stress to Marc having to cover more on defense.

I agree with you here.   Zbo litmus test is the playoffs and SAS handled him pretty easily once he was inserted back into the starting lineup.  Gone are the days when #50 can carry the team offensively in any significant way.  His percentages around the rim was at career lows and his defense was a disaster.   Guys like Lou Williams or Patty Mills can easily be the "goto scorer" for a second unit.  

Time to move on.

1 hour ago, GF#1 said:

Until further notice, I have no reason to believe that anything the Grizzlies do will be outside of status quo.

I agree with this sentiment. 

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I agree with you here.   Zbo litmus test is the playoffs and SAS handled him pretty easily once he was inserted back into the starting lineup.  Gone are the days when #50 can carry the team offensively in any significant way.  His percentages around the rim was at career lows and his defense was a disaster.   Guys like Lou Williams or Patty Mills can easily be the "goto scorer" for a second unit.  

Time to move on.

Only problem is there is no guarantee we can get Mills and we ain't getting Lou so realistically who takes over for zbo offensively on that second unit.?

I'm almost entirely off the bring Jam back for anything higher than 10 mil wagon

1 minute ago, Ndq0327 said:

I'm almost entirely off the bring Jam back for anything higher than 10 mil

Couldn't agree more. I've never understood how some view him as a hot commodity.

He's just the current Darrell Arthur, Hakim Warrick, etc.

1 minute ago, Ndq0327 said:

Only problem is there is no guarantee we can get Mills and we ain't getting Lou so realistically who takes over for zbo offensively on that second unit.?

Troy Daniels can do it or whoever we pick up for the MLE.   You have to keep in mind that the objective for Fiz is to change the offense.  Zbo only really thrives in low post isoball and to maximize him you have to shift your offense to fit him.   So if we move on from zbo that fully frees Fiz up to play a more 1 in 4 out motion heavy style offense.   A more free flowing offense makes it easier to score, period.   Plus One of Parsons, Mike, or Gasol should be on the floor at all times anyway.   I am not worried about losing Zbo's scoring anymore.