Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Notorious O.D.K.

Best/Worst Draft Picks

17 posts in this topic

So ESPN has done a best/worst draft pick for every team. Memphis has the following:

Memphis Grizzlies

Best: Pau Gasol, No. 3, 2001 (acquired via trade)

Worst: Hasheem Thabeet, No. 2, 2009

mem.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

The Grizzlies sent Shareef Abdur-Rahim and a pick to the Hawks in exchange for a package headlined by Gasol, who became Memphis' first All-Star after the team moved from Vancouver.

The 2009 lottery was filled with winning tickets including Curry and James Harden, but the Grizzlies found a losing one in Thabeet, who lasted just 2,357 minutes in the NBA.

Do people agree? I mean, I don't know if we can include Vancouver but SAR would definitely rival Pau (early on in his career, although he was always on losing teams). not sure if there is a worst draft pick than Thabeet, everyone else including Stro and Big Country at least contributed. 

Pau was a better overall player but I'd argue that Mike Conley has been our best draft pick to date since we've had much more success under with him as a main piece and he's not a quitter like Pau.

Thabeet, yeah. Probably the most ridiculous pick of all time. The whole world knew he was going to bust save for the owner running our team and Jerry ******* West.

17 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Pau was a better overall player but I'd argue that Mike Conley has been our best draft pick to date since we've had much more success under with him as a main piece and he's not a quitter like Pau.

Thabeet, yeah. Probably the most ridiculous pick of all time. The whole world knew he was going to bust save for the owner running our team and Jerry ******* West.

Mike is a piece. Pau was THE piece. If Pau was ever our 3rd best player, we would have had the parade already.

Pau, Conley and Rudy Gay.

Worst is easily Thabeet, but we did absolutely awful in 2003, 2008 and 2012.

16 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

So ESPN has done a best/worst draft pick for every team. Memphis has the following:

Do people agree? I mean, I don't know if we can include Vancouver but SAR would definitely rival Pau (early on in his career, although he was always on losing teams). not sure if there is a worst draft pick than Thabeet, everyone else including Stro and Big Country at least contributed. 

Hasheem Thabeet is among the worst draft picks of all time. In a draft that included James Harden, Steph Curry, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, DeMar DeRozan, Jrue Holliday, Gerald Henderson, Ricky Rubio, James Johnson, Ty Lawson and others the Grizzlies picked a total bust at #2. 

Stromile Swift was not a great player but he may have still been among the best picks in that draft so I have a hard time being overly critical of that pick. Big Country was a solid player and if not for back injuries could have a been a solid NBA player. Injury is no reason to pan a pick. 

Pau Gasol and Mike Conley clearly were the best two picks by the Grizzlies. Pau got the team to 3 straight playoff appearances with a team voted the worst in professional sports when he was drafted. Mike Conley captained the team to 7 straight playoff appearances and almost every playoff victory in franchise history. Tough call between those two players. However, Pau became the Grizzlies first all star player while Mike has never been an all star so I can understand giving Pau the nod. 

Pau will be in the Basketball Hall of Fame, so he has to be #1. Thabeet's picture should be in every G.M.'s office so when the owner tries to choose a draft pick, all the G. M. will have to do is point to the picture.

Both are no brainers.

39 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Pau will be in the Basketball Hall of Fame, so he has to be #1. Thabeet's picture should be in every G.M.'s office so when the owner tries to choose a draft pick, all the G. M. will have to do is point to the picture.

Both are no brainers.

Good idea for Thabeet.  It is also a reminder to all that the rumors that are out there, like "OKC really loves Thabeet and will choose him if available", are probably planted by teams like OKC for gullible guys like Heisley, Barone, and Wallace.

The thing is, I think even if the Grizzlies didn't draft Thabeet, they would have gone with Tyreke or Rubio, and not Harden or Steph (although, Hollins reportedly wanted Steph).

So how would people rank their top 5 Grizz draft picks and bottom 5?

The Thabeet pick literally made me sick to my stomach. An absolutely awful pick. I don't know how a team could see him as the 2nd best player in that draft after seeing what 6 foot 7 Dajuan Blair did to him a few months earlier. 

On 5/16/2017 at 6:31 PM, The_PROOF said:

Pau, Conley and Rudy Gay.

Worst is easily Thabeet, but we did absolutely awful in 2003, 2008 and 2012.

I disagree on the simple fact that neither Pau or Rudy were actually drafted by the Grizz.

Maybe just a technicality...

19 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

So how would people rank their top 5 Grizz draft picks and bottom 5?

Top Picks: 
1) Pau Gasol

2) Mike Conley

3) Rudy Gay

4) Kyle Lowry

5) DeMarre Carroll

Sad that the last two names didn't stick around longer in Memphis but they are both examples of how Wallace can find real value in later picks. Honorable mention to Shane Battier who did so much more for the franchise off the court than on.  

Worst Picks:
1) Hasheem Thabeet

2) Steve Francis (I know he wasn't drafted by Memphis but he was drafted by the Grizzlies)

3) Robert Archibald (pretty sad when a 2nd round pick makes this list but with Carlos Boozer on the board...)

4) Xavier Henry - Never looked like a player to me and then the strange injuries ended his career

5) Marcus Banks/Troy Bell - Technically the Grizzlies drafted Banks and Perkins and then traded them for Bell and Dahntay Jones. No matter which player you want to count the picks bombed. 

Drew Gooden over Caron Butler was a pick that ticked me off.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Drew Gooden over Caron Butler was a pick that ticked me off.

I agree but it wasn't a top 5 mistake. Maybe Drew Goodwin instead of Amare Stoudamire...

8 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I agree but it wasn't a top 5 mistake. Maybe Drew Goodwin instead of Amare Stoudamire...

True but Im trying to leave hindsight out of it so I didnt mention Stoudamire.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

True but Im trying to leave hindsight out of it so I didnt mention Stoudamire.

But you mentioned Caron Butler? 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

But you mentioned Caron Butler? 

I wanted Caron at the time.

On 5/18/2017 at 0:53 PM, chipc3 said:

Top Picks: 
1) Pau Gasol

2) Mike Conley

3) Rudy Gay

4) Kyle Lowry

5) DeMarre Carroll

Sad that the last two names didn't stick around longer in Memphis but they are both examples of how Wallace can find real value in later picks. Honorable mention to Shane Battier who did so much more for the franchise off the court than on.  

Worst Picks:
1) Hasheem Thabeet

2) Steve Francis (I know he wasn't drafted by Memphis but he was drafted by the Grizzlies)

3) Robert Archibald (pretty sad when a 2nd round pick makes this list but with Carlos Boozer on the board...)

4) Xavier Henry - Never looked like a player to me and then the strange injuries ended his career

5) Marcus Banks/Troy Bell - Technically the Grizzlies drafted Banks and Perkins and then traded them for Bell and Dahntay Jones. No matter which player you want to count the picks bombed. 

Good list. I would put Xavier 2nd behind Thabeet. I never had any hopes he would do anything but he was a lottery pick. A lottery pick that was almost out of the league in his second year.