Kevin B Moses

Jarell Martin, the forgotten grizzly

Recommended Posts

The guy is 22 years old, and hasn't shown much. But it is guys like him who are just hanging around that you say hey they could make a massive leap. The grizzlies have kept him around for a reason. I think he could show Thad Young potential next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen    0

They've kept him around because getting rid of him so soon would make them look like they suck at drafting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grizzgolf    0

I always hoped he was going to turn into a 12/10 kinda guy. I still hold out hope but I don't think its going to happen. I always hoped too Jordan Adams was going to be that OJ Mayo type of shooter we needed. That didn't happen as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, grizzgolf said:

I always hoped he was going to turn into a 12/10 kinda guy. I still hold out hope but I don't think its going to happen. I always hoped too Jordan Adams was going to be that OJ Mayo type of shooter we needed. That didn't happen as well.

Got to remember that he is only 22, and was considered a raw player. I think he is going to get more minutes this year. As raw as he was and only 2 years in the league, I can't wait to see him next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lsugrizzfan    0

I think they need to focus on being PF first and stop trying to see if he can play SF. One step at a time. He has potential. But so do do a lot of other guys. We need him to learn one role before we move on to the next one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lions    0

jarell martin will be out of the n.b.a in 2or 3 years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lions    0

the grizzlies most likely will bring back a 36 years z-bo because they have no FAITH with jerell  martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ndq0327    0

Martin is a Tobias Harris clone that is where his potential  will top out if he reaches it if not he's  just a tweener that can be replaced.  At 22 hes now been playing organized ball for 8 yrs.  Next year will be his final  chance to prove his worth.  I can see him moved by the deadline if he doesn't show he can take on a role next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas    0

Could see him being cut this summer or at some point next season so we can sign Tony Douglas or Ryan Hollins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Martin is a Tobias Harris clone that is where his potential  will top out if he reaches it if not he's  just a tweener that can be replaced.  At 22 hes now been playing organized ball for 8 yrs.  Next year will be his final  chance to prove his worth.  I can see him moved by the deadline if he doesn't show he can take on a role next year. 

Pretty much the way I see it too.

His biggest problem to me was his inability to finish in and around the rim. If that does not improve he will be trade bait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cdp    0
This is the biggest summer of his career cuz if he shows any promise at all he'll have a good shot at bein penciled as the startin pf next year. I don't see how they bring back both Jam n Zbo n expect to get Jarell n DD decent minutes to develop. Unless they move Wright but I don't see that happenin either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Memfizz    0

I like Jarrell a lot. Think it's 50/50 whether he'll pan out or not.  Like him on the roster regardless, good talent.

I liked Troy Williams the most however..

Jordan Adams was solid too. Sucks they're both gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His best shot is due to our 3 max contracts. We need players on the cheap and he's not getting any offers out there. He may stick because he's decent and cheap. Like it or not, we fit well together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, it is hard to say.

The NBA has a whole mix of players that don't blossom until several years in the league.

Nobody on this board or with the Grizzlies, or in Houston, saw DeMarre Carroll as the player he ended up being now.

I imagine that many in the Sixers organization saw Mo Speights as out of the league in 4 years.

Ditto on James Johnson and the Chicago and Toronto (1st time through) organization.

But besides those names, there are a bunch of guys that many thought wouldn't be with a team in 3-4 years, and people were right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The_PROOF    0

Jarell is looking like he'll end up a bust at this point. His basketball IQ is just so far behind where it should be, it's hard seeing him as someone we'll keep going into next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ndq0327    0
12 hours ago, The_PROOF said:

Jarell is looking like he'll end up a bust at this point. His basketball IQ is just so far behind where it should be, it's hard seeing him as someone we'll keep going into next season.

He needs to be on a team that lets young guys play despite if they are ready or not. We have to remember he hasn't played basketball all that long so him having a low bball IQ makes sense. 

 

I just don't think we are the franchise to be taking on players like him cause we have no history of developing anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipc3    0
1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

He needs to be on a team that lets young guys play despite if they are ready or not. We have to remember he hasn't played basketball all that long so him having a low bball IQ makes sense. 

 

I just don't think we are the franchise to be taking on players like him cause we have no history of developing anyone. 

The Grizzlies have given up on young players too early (Vasquez, Lowry, Carroll to name a few) but that doesn't mean you don't take a chance on talent in the draft. The Grizzlies developed Pau Gasol, Shane Battier, Mike Conley and are developing Andrew Harrison, Wayne Seldon, James Ennis and hopefully Davis and Baldwin too. 

What people seem to forget is the carousel of leadership on top with this team. When Wallace arrived Michael Heisley took over all major decisions. When Heisley sold the team Levien took over, then Pera fired Levien and reinstated Wallace. There have been 3 coaches over the last 5 seasons as well. Without consistency at the top it is very difficult to develop young players on the court. Consider that Hollins was in a must win situation when Levien took over, Joerger was nearly fired (if rumors can be believed) after only two weeks on the job and was always under the radar too. When you are in a win now mode you don't have the luxury of developing young players. 

Wallace is firmly entrenched on top, the team is aging, the coach is finally his man and the team needs to start developing their young players. We can't look at the mistakes of the past and decide never to attempt to develop young players again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes it is up to the player. Let's be honest about DeMarre Carroll, it wasn't just Memphis that didn't believe in him.  He was also waived by the Rockets and Nuggets.  And after playing 1 and a quarter seasons with Utah, they believed in him so much that they allowed Atlanta to sign him for just 2 years/$5 mm.  So it isn't like there were a lot of suitors for him.  I would say that everyone on this board was fine with him being dealt in 2011.  Nobody was saying, "Hey let's wait, around this guy's 6th or 7th season, he's going to be a major contributor"

Sometimes it is just up to the player.  

Not every young Spurs prospect develops either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ndq0327    0
7 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies have given up on young players too early (Vasquez, Lowry, Carroll to name a few) but that doesn't mean you don't take a chance on talent in the draft. The Grizzlies developed Pau Gasol, Shane Battier, Mike Conley and are developing Andrew Harrison, Wayne Seldon, James Ennis and hopefully Davis and Baldwin too. 

What people seem to forget is the carousel of leadership on top with this team. When Wallace arrived Michael Heisley took over all major decisions. When Heisley sold the team Levien took over, then Pera fired Levien and reinstated Wallace. There have been 3 coaches over the last 5 seasons as well. Without consistency at the top it is very difficult to develop young players on the court. Consider that Hollins was in a must win situation when Levien took over, Joerger was nearly fired (if rumors can be believed) after only two weeks on the job and was always under the radar too. When you are in a win now mode you don't have the luxury of developing young players. 

Wallace is firmly entrenched on top, the team is aging, the coach is finally his man and the team needs to start developing their young players. We can't look at the mistakes of the past and decide never to attempt to develop young players again. 

I didn't say abandon development  but maybe take rookies that are slightly more developed than Martin was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipc3    0
21 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

I didn't say abandon development  but maybe take rookies that are slightly more developed than Martin was. 

Who was the glaring mistake that Wallace missed in that draft? Josh Richardson is the only player I see that has made an impact in the league and he was taken 40th. Who else should Wallace have drafted? 

 

Personally I don't want Wallace, or any GM for that matter, taking a more polished but tapped out player that late in the first round. Give me the talent and hope the team can coach him up to reach his maximum ability.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ndq0327    0
14 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Who was the glaring mistake that Wallace missed in that draft? Josh Richardson is the only player I see that has made an impact in the league and he was taken 40th. Who else should Wallace have drafted? 

 

Personally I don't want Wallace, or any GM for that matter, taking a more polished but tapped out player that late in the first round. Give me the talent and hope the team can coach him up to reach his maximum ability.  

You dont know that player is tapped out potential wise until years after hes been drafted. Lets take Baldwin and Brogdon for example.  Baldwin has all the potential in the world to be something.  Brogdon came out as a rookie and was good. 

 

Now this FO knew going into the draft that they were gonna let the rookie pgs be the back up we already had Harrison who was shaky at best then we drafted Baldwin what if Baldwin never turns out to be what his potential suggests  he should?  How many solid years of Brogdon could we have had while  we waited for Baldwin to realize his potential. 

Most young rookies picked outside of the lottery spend their whole rookie deal developing and they start to signs of what they are around 23-24 you can just draft an older rookie and hope you get lucky and hes the next Draymond for example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipc3    0
3 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

You dont know that player is tapped out potential wise until years after hes been drafted. Lets take Baldwin and Brogdon for example.  Baldwin has all the potential in the world to be something.  Brogdon came out as a rookie and was good. 

 

Now this FO knew going into the draft that they were gonna let the rookie pgs be the back up we already had Harrison who was shaky at best then we drafted Baldwin what if Baldwin never turns out to be what his potential suggests  he should?  How many solid years of Brogdon could we have had while  we waited for Baldwin to realize his potential. 

Most young rookies picked outside of the lottery spend their whole rookie deal developing and they start to signs of what they are around 23-24 you can just draft an older rookie and hope you get lucky and hes the next Draymond for example. 

You didn't answer my question. Who should Wallace have taken instead of Jarell Martin who you have panned? 

I also believe Brogdon versus Baldwin is exactly the situation I am describing. Brogdon likely won't improve greatly on what we have seen. Baldwin has more physical ability and can improve if he works hard on doing so. The "smarter" pick this season may look laughable later if Baldwin continues to work on improving. 

Of course, no one knows for sure what the future holds. It is possible that Baldwin won't develop but when you are picking late in the 1st round it makes sense to take the player who is younger with the greater upside potential over someone more mature with less upside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now