notnilc20

We sure could use a Hayward or Ingles...

Just think if we didn't sign Parsons we could go after one of these guys.  Or is it possible?  We need a good sg.

Once thought that we should give up signing a big Free Agent last year and just try to go all in on Gordon Hayward if possible.

He's exactly what we need, a wing who can score but can also make plays.

if the grizzlies sign hayward i will fly to memphis and JUMP from the upper deck at the fedxform during a game

that how much faith i have with that i ,m almost puting up my own life 

We had the opportunity to sign ingles as a rookie and we low balled him.  So its fitting that he turned out to be a good player and now we can give him way more money as he starts to decline with us. 

I have stated before and still think that Hayward is the perfect fit for Marc and Mike to make the next leap towards a championship.

The Parsons signing had to happen because Conley gave the team an ultimatum to get a big named player or he was out. Just wish Mike had to vision to wait it out another season. I don't see a way out for the team to move Parsons and get enough space fast enough to be able to chase Gordon Hayward.

I know Orlando had Parson's name on their board but we would still have to get 20 million back in matching salaries and would have to find a way to move those contracts too. As long as Wallace is the GM, Parsons will be our guy because I don't see him stretching the contract of his latest max singing.

I'd be surprised if Utah let either one of them get away.

On 5/9/2017 at 4:56 PM, lions said:

if the grizzlies sign hayward i will fly to memphis and JUMP from the upper deck at the fedxform during a game

Please don't

On 5/9/2017 at 4:56 PM, lions said:

Does this mean you don't want Hayward?  I think he would benefit this team so much both offensively and defensively.

http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2017/5/10/15584026/a-bold-view-on-the-memphis-grizzlies-cap-situation-nba-offseason

The most important number to know when discussing the off-season is $102 million. That is the salary cap that each team must work under whilst trying to build a roster. As it stands at this very moment, the Grizzlies have $92,188,766 committed for next year. For all you math majors out there, that leaves Memphis just under $10 million in unused cap space to chase down prospective free agents. This number could jump up closer to $16 million if the Grizzlies can manage to move Brandon Wright without taking back a contract. Toss in a player like Troy Daniels or (god forbid) James Ennis III and the Grizzlies could be looking at $20 million to spend on the free agent market.

We can't afford Hayward and would have to gut the team to even get Ingles.   If you all want to pursue anybody then say goodbye to Zbo, Tony, Vince, and possibly JaM.   Unless we make a big trade then all we can do is grab some MLE type talent and those two are getting more than that. 

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2017/5/10/15584026/a-bold-view-on-the-memphis-grizzlies-cap-situation-nba-offseason

The most important number to know when discussing the off-season is $102 million. That is the salary cap that each team must work under whilst trying to build a roster. As it stands at this very moment, the Grizzlies have $92,188,766 committed for next year. For all you math majors out there, that leaves Memphis just under $10 million in unused cap space to chase down prospective free agents. This number could jump up closer to $16 million if the Grizzlies can manage to move Brandon Wright without taking back a contract. Toss in a player like Troy Daniels or (god forbid) James Ennis III and the Grizzlies could be looking at $20 million to spend on the free agent market.

We can't afford Hayward and would have to gut the team to even get Ingles.   If you all want to pursue anybody then say goodbye to Zbo, Tony, Vince, and possibly JaM.   Unless we make a big trade then all we can do is grab some MLE type talent and those two are getting more than that. 

This isn't taking into account the team renouncing one (or more) of their free agents. As Larry Coon wrote in his NBA Salary Cap FAQ page:

"By renouncing a player, a team gives up its right to use the Larry Bird, Early Bird, or Non-Bird exception (see question number 25) to re-sign that player. A renounced player no longer counts toward team salary, so teams use renouncement to gain additional cap room. Teams are still permitted to re-sign renounced players, but only with cap room or an exception other than the Bird exception1. The exception to this rule is that an Early Bird free agent, at the team's option, can be renounced to the Non-Bird level. A team might do this in order to sign the player to a one-year contract, instead of the minimum two years required by the Early Bird exception.

After renouncing a player, a team can still trade the player in a sign-and-trade agreement."

2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Ingles is not worth $10 million per year.

I believe 9 million is MLE dollars now

If the cap is now 102 million and the luxury tax is creeping 120 then I would have to say Ingles is easily worth 10 million.  Ingles is more than capable of contributing at a value of 1/10th (10 million out of 102 million) of a playoff team with his shooting, passing and overall basketball instincts.  He is actually a very intelligent player.

Now with the Grizzlies situation of having so much tied up in 3 players and so little expected production from the cheap players...this becomes a tougher call.  But sadly he might be our best wing.

As for Hayward...Boston bound.

23 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

OP's first thought is that we should had just tried getting Hayward next season instead of signing Parsons this season.

1 hour ago, Iron Mike said:

OP's first thought is that we should had just tried getting Hayward next season instead of signing Parsons this season.

Oh gotcha totally agree with that sentiment. 

There is a 0% chance we could have signed Hayward.

He's either going back to Utah or he's leaving for Boston or Indiana (if Paul George leaves).  Memphis is tied for 4th will all other teams that don't have LeBron, KD, Paul George, or Kawhi.

When he opts out and signs his new contract, it will average more than what Conley gets for his highest paid year, something like 5 years/$177 million with Utah, or a little less with Boston or Indiana.

On 5/11/2017 at 11:45 AM, MemphisX said:

Ingles is not worth $10 million per year.

I agree with this, and to get Ingles, it would mean paying more than whatever Utah will offer.

That means overpaying.

Had the money not been spent on Parsons, the SF neighborhood that the Grizzlies would have been shopping in would have been Gallinari, Otto Porter (Restricted), Rudy Gay, Iguodala, PJ Tucker, or Jeff Green.