Sign in to follow this  
Memfizz

What's really depressing is we could have beat these Rockets

On 14/5/2017 at 2:49 AM, ItIsWhatItIs said:

The difference between an elite PG like Wall and Conley is that Wall can play at whatever pace he wants because he is that talented. In the half court, he is arguably the best pg in the pick n roll in the league (Paul is probably still the best) while he is obviously dynamic in an up tempo team but he can be a one man fastbreak by himself. Any team with any players with any style, the only answer is Wall. 

Also lol at Wall not being efficient, he has a 56% TS % in the playoffs so far. Conley for his career is 54% TS, is he inefficient? Let us just take a look at Mike Conley's playoff run. Conley averaging 24 and 7 is considered him stepping up tremendously to another level. Wall averaged 23 and 11 for an entire season and needs to raise his level in the playoffs to 28 and 10 to not be considered a disappointment. If John Wall in game 7 has an elimination game like Conley did where he shoots 7-18 and allows the opposing point guard to light him up all game long, he will get destroyed in the press. 

We are about to find out......

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Popovich going off about stepping under feet and his history. The guy who introduced us to Bruce Bowen.

I doubt that Popovich of all people was encouraging Bowen to injure guys like Vince Carter.. that was all Bowen he's just a dirty dude

17 minutes ago, Memfizz said:

I doubt that Popovich of all people was encouraging Bowen to injure guys like Vince Carter.. that was all Bowen he's just a dirty dude

But I would look more sideways at a guy like Bowen than anyone. Atleast Zaza is a slug footed big guy trying to contest a guy who is way more athletic than him. It was reckless but not unbelievable. Bowen is a guard who is more nimble and trained to close out. Way worse imo.

21 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That's the real issue and why SuperTeams have become the norm.  Shouldn't penalize Bron for being drafted into the East. 

I give SAS, GSW, and (old) OKC tons of credit for actually drafting well and developing their Superteams organically.   Which is why I really hate that KD joined them because it makes them into a SuperTeam now. 

LeBron was drafted into the East but chose to remain in the East twice since the draft. First he used free agency to move to Miami and then he used free agency to return to Cleveland. I don't believe you can honestly justify LeBron's staying in the East solely on his being drafted into the East. 

13 hours ago, Dwash said:

Popovich going off about stepping under feet and his history. The guy who introduced us to Bruce Bowen.

Seems like Pops has been introduced to the concept of Karma. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

LeBron was drafted into the East but chose to remain in the East twice since the draft. First he used free agency to move to Miami and then he used free agency to return to Cleveland. I don't believe you can honestly justify LeBron's staying in the East solely on his being drafted into the East. 

LeBron can do what he wants and if he is more comfortable competing against the teams in the East than so be it.  Especially considering he had already made it to the Finals before his first FA occurred.   

Now if he was drafted in the West then jumped to the East maybe there is an argument.   

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

LeBron can do what he wants and if he is more comfortable competing against the teams in the East than so be it.  Especially considering he had already made it to the Finals before his first FA occurred.   

Now if he was drafted in the West then jumped to the East maybe there is an argument.   

boom

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

No one is denying that. I was simply responding to the comment that LeBron shouldn't be penalized for playing in the East since he was drafted into the East. 

I don't think LeBron made any conscious decision about being in the East just because it is weaker.  He got tired of pulling the wagon all by himself, so he went to Miami where there was good help, good weather, and a good chance at a championship.  After that he just went back home to give it another shot.

Let's be real. Gsw is not Houston. At this rate Spurs'll be lucky to win a game without Kawhi. They need him playin every game if they want a shot at winnin the series.

4 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I don't think LeBron made any conscious decision about being in the East just because it is weaker.  He got tired of pulling the wagon all by himself, so he went to Miami where there was good help, good weather, and a good chance at a championship.  After that he just went back home to give it another shot.

I agree.  I saw that 3 way union coming together a year before when Riley cleared most of the cap. Miami is a hot spot for max type free agents

1 minute ago, cdp said:

Let's be real. Gsw is not Houston. At this rate Spurs'll be lucky to win a game without Kawhi. They need him playin every game if they want a shot at winnin the series.

Plus Harden for whatever reason wasnt trying. The Spurs are terrible without Kawai. He does everything.

8 hours ago, Dwash said:

Plus Harden for whatever reason wasnt trying. The Spurs are terrible without Kawai. He does everything.

Harden was trying LOL

He just shrunk under the REAL pressure like he always does.

I agree with you about the Spurs. I think they gonna try to be a player in the off season this year when the last few they've been one of the quietest. They need to find a real good PG and a one or two big scoring bigs. I like Mills but he's not in the class required by this team as a starting PG, and he might not get resigned. Who knows if Parker will be back. But if Ginobili doesn't come back, and Parker gets some injuired player exception they'll have some money to keep Simmons with. Simmons has been showing he can step up if called on. They may need to think about moving LMA or Pau or both

The strength of that team is those two long skilled bigs that can play inside and out plus shoot 3s and offer rim protection. It's like people forget they were both All Stars last season.

2 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Harden was trying LOL

He just shrunk under the REAL pressure like he always does.

I agree with you about the Spurs. I think they gonna try to be a player in the off season this year when the last few they've been one of the quietest. They need to find a real good PG and a one or two big scoring bigs. I like Mills but he's not in the class required by this team as a starting PG, and he might not get resigned. Who knows if Parker will be back. But if Ginobili doesn't come back, and Parker gets some injuired player exception they'll have some money to keep Simmons with. Simmons has been showing he can step up if called on. They may need to think about moving LMA or Pau or both

The Spurs were quiet last year when they picked up Pau Gasol and David Lee in the off-season? They are two former all-stars playing significant minutes on the Spurs this season. I'd argue they had one of the most successful off-seasons if you combine production and cost. 

Yes but they are not adding any scoring or threat of scoring in these playoffs. LMA has been inconsistent. Lee and Pau are not gonna win you games at this level. Even Shaq and Barkley were commenting on this during the Memphis series that there does not seem to be anyone outside of Kawhi that is a go to scorer when its not Kawhi. I agree with this. LMA, Mills are great one game then disappear for a few. DGreen is not the threat he was 2 years ago. Theyve got an aging roster. Its good enough to be in the top 3 of the WC but to beat the Warriors in a series you need more than just Kawhi, although I admit loosing a player of that calbre means you have next to no chance.

The  Cavs defensive strategy against these weak EC teams is so little league. Just trap PG13, Derozan, or IT. Lebron guards the weakest man and plays a zone. 

I want to see this pickup game strategy in action against the Warriors. Lebron gone have to guard Durant or Love gone have to sit so he can guard Draymond.

Never though I would say this but if Im Boston Im trading IT and keeping the top pick for one of the 6'5" point guards.

41 minutes ago, Dwash said:

The  Cavs defensive strategy against these weak EC teams is so little league. Just trap PG13, Derozan, or IT. Lebron guards the weakest man and plays a zone. 

I want to see this pickup game strategy in action against the Warriors. Lebron gone have to guard Durant or Love gone have to sit so he can guard Draymond.

LeBron playing in the free safety role is his best defensive role, he basically screws up everything the other team is trying to do offensively. His defense last yr in the Finals was the best I've seen him play his whole career. He played a similar role to what Draymond plays, where he just roams around and stuffs up everything the other team is trying to do. I love watching him play defense when he's locked in.

27 minutes ago, TT_Grizz said:

LeBron playing in the free safety role is his best defensive role, he basically screws up everything the other team is trying to do offensively. His defense last yr in the Finals was the best I've seen him play his whole career. He played a similar role to what Draymond plays, where he just roams around and stuffs up everything the other team is trying to do. I love watching him play defense when he's locked in.

Until you cross a team where all 5 are a factor.

17 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yes but they are not adding any scoring or threat of scoring in these playoffs. LMA has been inconsistent. Lee and Pau are not gonna win you games at this level. Even Shaq and Barkley were commenting on this during the Memphis series that there does not seem to be anyone outside of Kawhi that is a go to scorer when its not Kawhi. I agree with this. LMA, Mills are great one game then disappear for a few. DGreen is not the threat he was 2 years ago. Theyve got an aging roster. Its good enough to be in the top 3 of the WC but to beat the Warriors in a series you need more than just Kawhi, although I admit loosing a player of that calbre means you have next to no chance.

Well no one was going to beat the Warriors in the playoffs this season. However, a healthy Kawhi and Tony Parker could have made it a lot more interesting. 

20 hours ago, Dwash said:

Until you cross a team where all 5 are a factor.

There aren't a whole lot of teams where all 5 are a factor.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:43 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzlies are better than people think. We are still one of the only teams that play traditional basketball and still beat the mighty teams with it. It's because if you are a good to great half court team and the grizzlies are you can beat just about any team that is mindlessly throwing up threes.

I agree with you KBM.  My point is that MEM has no one to blame but themselves because they underachieved.  Gasol was spot on when he said that 43 wins was not acceptable.   The 2nd half of the season when the 4 seed was definitely in reach, the Grizzlies just screwed the pooch.  They lost to teams they had no business losing to.  This team with the new found shooting they had this year and with Mike playing the way they he did had no business winning less than 50 games and really should have won 51-52 games maybe  or even more.  The point is that if they do that, they dont have to play a full strength SAS team in the freakin first round.  And then when TParker gets hurt and when KLeonard twists his ankle, the Grizzlies are still in the playoffs and then can face them.  Im sure everyone gets the point.  The Grizzlies sealed their fate when the basically sleptwalked through several easily winnable games in the 2nd half of the season and their reward (or punishment if you will) was drawing SAS in the first  round with no TA.

I was so frustrated with the Grizzlies down the stretch cause they just acted like they were perfectly fine with the 7th seed.  They did not play with a lot of urgency like a team wanting to move up in the standings would play.  I guess they were too worried about "burning out" or something.  Marc started out the season with great games but seemed to go through the motions down the stretch somewhat.  I did hear rumblings that Marc was upset with how Fiz kept forcing CParsons in the lineup when everyone knew he couldnt perform, so I guess Marc checked out a bit and it showed down the stretch as the Grizz seemed just fine with the 7th seed.  Its like they are happy being the scrappy team that plays tough but gets put out in the first round and starts their offseason early.  This team could have done more.  If Parsons had been healthy the whole season, they could have challenged for the 3 seed.  But alas they did not and we are left with the hope of "next year."