Sign in to follow this  
Memfizz

Wallace, Vernon, Prancia Go In On Marc Gasol

I very rarely post these years but I am still a fan of the Grizzlies. I know it's not gonna happen as long as Chris Wallace is the GM, he is too conservative and not gutsy enough to pull any big moves, and this is probably not going to be a popular decision, but I have been looking for them to re-shape the team for the past couple of years. This team is too boring to watch. Our guys are old, Marc is slow, and our young guys are never developed. Conley is the only bright spot right now. I propose to trade Marc, don't bring back TA and ZBo, don't bring back Jam cos he will be vastly overpaid. Start building this team around Conley. We may struggle and not make the playoffs next year, but it's better to do it now than later when their trade values go down. The timing is good this offseason to make some big changes. Talk to Boston for their draft picks. Marc would be a great fit there and give them a legitimate chance to win a championship. This is 99.99% not gonna happen of course. We know the boring outcome this offseason would be re-signing ZBo and TA and likely VC and make all of them retire a grizzly. We will probably struggle but still barely make the playoffs next year, and we will probably have a quick first round exit. And Memphis would still be the most boring team to watch in the league.

14 hours ago, Father Pat said:

What difference do stats make when a player clearly doesn't give his all in a playoff game? The true context anyone needs to know is that it was a win or go home situation and he shrunk when we needed him most. In that last 4th quarter he showed us who he really is, and the worst part is that deep down we knew it all along but always held on to false hope anyway. His heart doesn't match his talent. Just who he is.

I don't dispute the fact that he didn't show up when we needed him most, but quoting statistics that way really makes him look far worse than he was.  Those statistics make him look like a D-League player which is unfair.

6 hours ago, Grizball said:

I very rarely post these years but I am still a fan of the Grizzlies. I know it's not gonna happen as long as Chris Wallace is the GM, he is too conservative and not gutsy enough to pull any big moves, and this is probably not going to be a popular decision, but I have been looking for them to re-shape the team for the past couple of years. This team is too boring to watch. Our guys are old, Marc is slow, and our young guys are never developed. Conley is the only bright spot right now. I propose to trade Marc, don't bring back TA and ZBo, don't bring back Jam cos he will be vastly overpaid. Start building this team around Conley. We may struggle and not make the playoffs next year, but it's better to do it now than later when their trade values go down. The timing is good this offseason to make some big changes. Talk to Boston for their draft picks. Marc would be a great fit there and give them a legitimate chance to win a championship. This is 99.99% not gonna happen of course. We know the boring outcome this offseason would be re-signing ZBo and TA and likely VC and make all of them retire a grizzly. We will probably struggle but still barely make the playoffs next year, and we will probably have a quick first round exit. And Memphis would still be the most boring team to watch in the league.

Agree with all of this. I honestly watched maybe 10 Grizz games for more than a few minutes this year. Too boring too predictable.

I don't find our team boring at all when they're on and focused. Honestly love their brand of basketball under Fiz.  Probably the first time in my basketball watching life I wasn't yelling at the coaching decisions during gametime in terms of plays and what not.

Besides his out of bounds plays... And sometimes rotations. But that's minor.

It's really just some of the personnel. Like Marc falling into his soft hide mode, TERRIBLE body language. Or Zbo forcing it sometimes. Jam or Tony boneheaded plays. THAT is predictable and boring, but I could watch our style of basketball every night.  Especially when we had young guys in the mix

The old Grizzlies with like Courtney Lee and Pondexter now THAT was predictable boring pump fake basketball. We've got it much better now

Winning basketball is never boring for me, no matter what the style.  I'm not some little kid that needs some crazy, flashy crap to keep my attention.

If anything the Rockets, Warriors bore the **** out of me. Just a million 3 pointers, absolutely bores me.  Spurs, Grizzlies are probably my 2 favorite teams to watch tbh. Leonard is just amazing. I've lost all interest in flash since the flashy players nowadays kinda suck.

It was fun with Iverson, tmac n those guys

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Winning basketball is never boring for me, no matter what the style.  I'm not some little kid that needs some crazy, flashy crap to keep my attention.

Well they are creeping towards .500 more and more each year. 

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Well they are creeping towards .500 more and more each year. 

I worry about that a lot more than the style of play.

On 4/30/2017 at 5:23 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

He did it with Hollins. Because Hollins didn't put up with Marc's bull****.

This is exactly right.  Lionel used to ride Marc relentlessly.  He would make Marc mad until finally he would take initiative and make a play.  I remember hearing Marc yell at Lionel after he got aggressive and made a play "you happy now?"  All Lionel was doing was trying to push Marc's buttons to get him to step up. 

Its that kind of drive that this team is going to need to produce. Lionel rode them all the way to 55 wins. Joerger and Fizdale werent able to get that kind of reaction. 

This team underachieved big time.  Several unnecessary losses by an uninspired team/players caused them to have to settle for 7 seed and draw SAS in the first round instead of taking care of business and getting the 4th or 5th seed.

Honestly, even without CParsons as a key cog, this team could have won close to 50 games.  Its easy to look at the 2nd half of the season and see several games where it just made no sense for MEM to lose.  They would mail it in and just live with the results.  They would dig a huge hole then try like Hades to get out of it and come up just short.  They won only 1 more game than the glorified D league team that took the floor last year down the stretch.  

I understand its a long season and no team is going to try its hardest every game.  Players would burn out.  I get that.  But this team left way way too many wins on the table.  With the new found shooting strokes from downtown, this team should have won 49-50 games maybe more.  Just my 2 cents worth, but it got old to watch them lose to teams they had no business losing to like Brooklyn and ORL and quite a few more.  Just inexplicable and that is Fizdale's challenge.  He has to figure out a way to keep the team from getting in the doldrums and just going through the motions at times.  Lionel was a hard a$$.  He DROVE them to keep playing.  The guys know how to play.  The veterans know what to do.  The young guys are learning, but I saw way too many wins turn into losses over the course of the year.  I know all teams have them but the Grizzlies played down to their competition way more than should be accepted and it made them have to face their nemesis and have yet another first round exit as the scrappy team that no one wants to face, who plays tough in the playoffs, but in the end goes out early while other teams keep on playing. 

2 hours ago, The_PROOF said:

Marc to Celtics for Al Horford and Nets pick.

I cant see Celtics doing it.

But if y'all are intent on moving Marc for at least a pick, Kings are the best chance they got 2 firsts, one is pick #5, maybe add on a couple of their guys but honestly I wouldnt like it

8 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I cant see Celtics doing it.

But if y'all are intent on moving Marc for at least a pick, Kings are the best chance they got 2 firsts, one is pick #5, maybe add on a couple of their guys but honestly I wouldnt like it

I think they're committed to going young though. I'd jump all over that. 

2 hours ago, The_PROOF said:

Marc to Celtics for Al Horford and Nets pick.

Gasol isnt that much better than Horford. Their goal is the Cavs and that moves the needle very little.

Gasol let the entire franchise down in the series vs the Spurs, he completely shrunk in the moment. He was soft, scared, hesitant, whatever you want to call it.

And miss me with the "he is who he is" crap. If you want to be truly great then you step up your game in the playoffs. Look at Conley. I never thought he'd be a guy who would average 25 & 7 in a playoff series, but he did it this year because he stepped up when the team needed him. Look at all the other great players around the league. When their teams need them to step up in the playoffs, do they shy away from it and say "no, I am who I am, I'm not that type of guy"? No, they step up, because the team needs it. Gasol was embarrassing in Game 6 vs Spurs. He was scared of the bright lights. If he had the same mentality as Mike or ZBo, we would've won the series. But he never has and never will. He's content with being "good". He can't take the step like other players can (like Conley can) to be "great". He'd rather play "the right way" and make "the right pass" and feel good about himself instead of doing whatever it takes to win. 

Marc has put in a great shift here, but it's time to move on. 

1 hour ago, TT_Grizz said:

Gasol let the entire franchise down in the series vs the Spurs, he completely shrunk in the moment. He was soft, scared, hesitant, whatever you want to call it.

And miss me with the "he is who he is" crap. If you want to be truly great then you step up your game in the playoffs. Look at Conley. I never thought he'd be a guy who would average 25 & 7 in a playoff series, but he did it this year because he stepped up when the team needed him. Look at all the other great players around the league. When their teams need them to step up in the playoffs, do they shy away from it and say "no, I am who I am, I'm not that type of guy"? No, they step up, because the team needs it. Gasol was embarrassing in Game 6 vs Spurs. He was scared of the bright lights. If he had the same mentality as Mike or ZBo, we would've won the series. But he never has and never will. He's content with being "good". He can't take the step like other players can (like Conley can) to be "great". He'd rather play "the right way" and make "the right pass" and feel good about himself instead of doing whatever it takes to win. 

Marc has put in a great shift here, but it's time to move on. 

Well said

7 hours ago, Dwash said:

Gasol isnt that much better than Horford. Their goal is the Cavs and that moves the needle very little.

I think Gasol is definitely much better than Horford. Gasol, all around, is an elite top tier center. Horford is just solid. That's why the Hawks didn't even consider offering him the max, although they easily would have kept him if they wanted to. Gasol was unquestionably a max player.

1 hour ago, The_PROOF said:

I think Gasol is definitely much better than Horford. Gasol, all around, is an elite top tier center. Horford is just solid. That's why the Hawks didn't even consider offering him the max, although they easily would have kept him if they wanted to. Gasol was unquestionably a max player.

They are both role players or complimentary that mostly require someone to set them up and dont command extra attention.

And the Hawks have let a lot of players go instead of paying them huge long term deals. Its how they work.

Even if you say Gasol is better, think about the value of a number 1 pick. It was the centerpiece for Kevin Love. Would you do Horford and Love for Gasol? It could almost draw an Allstar level player by itself.

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

They are both role players or complimentary that mostly require someone to set them up and dont command extra attention.

And the Hawks have let a lot of players go instead of paying them huge long term deals. Its how they work.

Even if you say Gasol is better, think about the value of a number 1 pick. It was the centerpiece for Kevin Love. Would you do Horford and Love for Gasol? It could almost draw an Allstar level player by itself.

I agree.   Gasol may be an overall better talent but both are nothing more than high level complimentary players.  If we move Gasol I want it to be for a high level perimeter player.  Gasol ain't fetching Horford + lottery pick from the C's.  Ainge is too greedy for that. 

40 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I agree.   Gasol may be an overall better talent but both are nothing more than high level complimentary players.  If we move Gasol I want it to be for a high level perimeter player.  Gasol ain't fetching Horford + lottery pick from the C's.  Ainge is too greedy for that. 

Yes.  Ainge is very greedy and he knows he has the full house in his hand.  He has the assets that anyone looking to move a veteran wants.  Expiring deals/cap space, great picks and young role players on good contracts.  If the Grizzlies want to move Gasol, he is going to question why.  I don't even know if he would offer the #1 pick for him.

6 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Yes.  Ainge is very greedy and he knows he has the full house in his hand.  He has the assets that anyone looking to move a veteran wants.  Expiring deals/cap space, great picks and young role players on good contracts.  If the Grizzlies want to move Gasol, he is going to question why.  I don't even know if he would offer the #1 pick for him.

That's why i thought the Lakers would be better trade partners.  32 year old Gasol ain't fetching a No#1 pick.   Memphians aren't the only ones that saw Gasol shrink in the playoffs

6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That's why i thought the Lakers would be better trade partners.  32 year old Gasol ain't fetching a No#1 pick.   Memphians aren't the only ones that saw Gasol shrink in the playoffs

Nope.

I think the Lakers would definitely take Marc with the #2 pick ONLY if they're able to pry Paul George from Indiana via trade as well. 

It really depends on Magic's vision of the team. 

1 minute ago, BHZMAFIA said:

I think the Lakers would definitely take Marc with the #2 pick ONLY if they're able to pry Paul George from Indiana via trade as well. 

It really depends on Magic's vision of the team. 

How they gone get George without the #2 pick?

Just now, Dwash said:

How they gone get George without the #2 pick?

Well I was going to say they can do 1 or 2 things.

Use their players for Marc and the pick + a player for George or vice versa.