Sign in to follow this  
GF#1

We're About To See How Much The Organization Is Committed To Fizdale's Style Of Play

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

They also have an outstanding qualifying offer on JaMychal Green. That's 18 players listed on the team's roster on their website.

Why did Green's agent put the team's FO on blast saying that they never offered Green? :huh::huh:

7 minutes ago, Michael D said:

Why did Green's agent put the team's FO on blast saying that they never offered Green? :huh::huh:

The team had to make their qualifying offer before free agency started, which they did. I believe what Jam's agent was saying is that the team made no offer after free agency started.

Which they don't need to do because the Grizzlies can just match.

If the Grizz offer more than any other team is willing to pay, than they are being stupid.

If the Grizz offer less, the player can be offended, the agent can shop it around, and the Grizzlies gain nothing because they can just match it anyways.  JaM can just play it out and become an UFA, which can then be a problem for the Grizzlies.

An example is what happened with Rudy.  Grizz offer 5/$50 mm for him to extend, he said no and became an UFA after playing out the year.  He then got 5/$82 mm which was a problem and a big part of the reason he was dealt.  Going off of memory here, but I though his agent wanted 5/$60 mm when Rudy was a RFA, so the Grizzlies ended up losing quite a bit by waiting until he was an UFA. 

7 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

If the Grizz offer more than any other team is willing to pay, than they are being stupid.

If the Grizz offer less, the player can be offended, the agent can shop it around, and the Grizzlies gain nothing because they can just match it anyways.  JaM can just play it out and become an UFA, which can then be a problem for the Grizzlies.

An example is what happened with Rudy.  Grizz offer 5/$50 mm for him to extend, he said no and became an UFA after playing out the year.  He then got 5/$82 mm which was a problem and a big part of the reason he was dealt.  Going off of memory here, but I though his agent wanted 5/$60 mm when Rudy was a RFA, so the Grizzlies ended up losing quite a bit by waiting until he was an UFA. 

Not exactly, Rudy never became a UFA. The FO lowballed him in the extension offer they made after his third season with the team and he rejected it. When restricted free agency came at the end of his fourth season the Grizzlies preempted a possible max offer sheet (which was likely) with the near max $82M.

In JaM's case he'd have to sign the QO and play one year with the Grizzlies to become a UFA. Or he can go overseas and hope we rescind the QO st some point.

24 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I think that this ^ is the best summary.

I honestly believe that Jam's agent is in over his head. A pup trying to run with the big dogs kind of thing.

15 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Got it, thanks.

Your point stands, though. JaM is nowhere near as in demand as Rudy, so jumping the gun would be stupid.

If the FA season goes on and JaM runs out of options I could see the FO making a multiyear offer to prevent the QO scenario.

A great article by Joe Mullinax today.

He kind of sums up my view of the situation here in Memphis. Fizdale has gotten what he wanted and the old Grit and Grind Grizzlies are gone. Now Fizdale needs to establish what his vision of the team will be going forward and get Memphis behind it. 

14 hours ago, chipc3 said:

He kind of sums up my view of the situation here in Memphis. Fizdale has gotten what he wanted and the old Grit and Grind Grizzlies are gone. Now Fizdale needs to establish what his vision of the team will be going forward and get Memphis behind it. 

Fizz just realised it was time to move on something that a lot of people were having a hard time with.

I'm waiting for Fizz to realize that MC11 will not push the ball.It was never Gasol or ZBO and definitely never ever TA but MC11 that still has LH in his head(Dig on D & Pound on O) that would not push the ball and when he turns around after getting the outlet pass in no mans land with that little dirty look and pounds the shot clock out, who are you gonna blame

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, chipc3 said:

Memphis has and always will get behind a winning team. Memphis didn't "get behind" GNG, Memphis got behind 50 win seasons and playoff berths. If Fizdale's vision produces wins he will have the city's support, if we go back to 20-30 win seasons he will be run out of here, along with Wallace.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:48 AM, Ndq0327 said:

Fizz just realised it was time to move on something that a lot of people were having a hard time with.

I don't believe as many people are having a hard time with it as some make out. I think people are having a hard time buying into the idea of giving up old guys who they have seen be productive and useful, for the hope of a bunch of 2nd rounders and undrafted free agents.

1 hour ago, trayhezy said:

Memphis has and always will get behind a winning team. Memphis didn't "get behind" GNG, Memphis got behind 50 win seasons and playoff berths. If Fizdale's vision produces wins he will have the city's support, if we go back to 20-30 win seasons he will be run out of here, along with Wallace.

I don't believe as many people are having a hard time with it as some make out. I think people are having a hard time buying into the idea of giving up old guys who they have seen be productive and useful, for the hope of a bunch of 2nd rounders and undrafted free agents.

We are giving up the old guys for the ability to move on so what if the young guys don't work out you can get new players till you find the right fit but holding on to vets cause they are productive is dumb if there production taps out 2nd round of the playoffs