Sign in to follow this  
GF#1

We're About To See How Much The Organization Is Committed To Fizdale's Style Of Play

According to someone in the know (take that with a grain of salt), they say that Jam's offers from other teams have only been 1 year deals and that's the reason he hasn't signed.

If true, This really helps the grizzlies keep his number low. I'd try a 3+1 team option at 9 million per year with bonuses for statistical achievements.

chipc3    0
1 minute ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

According to someone in the know (take that with a grain of salt) says that Jam's offers from other teams have only been 1 year deals.

Ouch. Sure glad Wallace didn't rush out to sign him then. We may get JaM back on a real bargain.

What am I saying? Wallace will find a way to overpay. :lol: 

GF#1    0
Just now, New_Sacred_Cow said:

According to someone in the know (take that with a grain of salt) says that Jam's offers from other teams have only been 1 year deals.

It's looking more and more like the smartest move for him would be to play for the qualifying offer, prove himself, and become and UFA next summer.

chipc3    0
3 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

It's looking more and more like the smartest move for him would be to play for the qualifying offer, prove himself, and become and UFA next summer.

NOOOOO! The smart move would be for him and his agent to panic, decide they need to guarantee his future and to sign a 3 year deal for $15- $20 million. I know that doesn't sound like a lot of money but seriously, $15 million is a lot of dough to pay someone who averaged less than 4 rebounds in the playoffs last spring and was benched to boot. 

Seriously, JaM is taking a big risk playing out the season on a QO. People seem to get hurt around Memphis these days. 

4 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Smart for us sure, but not for him. The future is full of unknowns and possible injuries. I would take the first big multiple year offer If I were him.

GF#1    0
1 minute ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

Smart for us sure, him I wouldn't say so. The future is full of unknowns and possible injuries. If I were him, first big multiple year offer I would take. Guarantee yourself a future with money.

But if he's only getting offered 1 year deals...

Chip, I was going to mention something similar to what you suggested. Lock him up for 3-4 years on a team friendly deal, plus he would feel some security as well. But if he's not getting good offers from around the league I might be inclined just to let it play out. Offer him an extension closer to the beginning of the season.

Temptation is a you know what.

45 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

NOOOOO! The smart move would be for him and his agent to panic, decide they need to guarantee his future and to sign a 3 year deal for $15- $20 million. I know that doesn't sound like a lot of money but seriously, $15 million is a lot of dough to pay someone who averaged less than 4 rebounds in the playoffs last spring and was benched to boot. 

Seriously, JaM is taking a big risk playing out the season on a QO. People seem to get hurt around Memphis these days. 

Man i really wish he would do that!   But the QO seems like the more realistic move as of today.  If he does do the QO i wouldn't be opposed to keeping Jarrell  as insurance.    Unfortunately, JMArt is the only other PF we have that can provide some of the versatility on defense that JaMyke does.  

Michael D    0

Sounds like JaMyke's agent isn't that good.  I heard that he is his only client.  Dude blasted the team for "lying" about offering an initial offer.  I wonder who this guy is.  If he had any connects in the league he would be able to get a team to send through a decent offer just to get the Grizz to offer something better.

He's not getting any good offers and that's weird since most of the media were predicting the Grizz would have to pay upwards of $15 million per year to keep him.

Oh well, his choice of agent, or his agent's lack of experience will work to the team's benefit.

fanboyslim    0
51 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

But if he's only getting offered 1 year deals...

Chip, I was going to mention something similar to what you suggested. Lock him up for 3-4 years on a team friendly deal, plus he would feel some security as well. But if he's not getting good offers from around the league I might be inclined just to let it play out. Offer him an extension closer to the beginning of the season.

Temptation is a you know what.

You can't extend contracts shorter than three years.

At this point, I don't know if JaM offers anything much more than what Speights and Dante Cunningham offer, and those are the two free agents I have watched.  He's younger, but not $10 mm/year based on market.

Speights went $1.4 mm last year, and declined $2.1 mm.

Dante averaged about $2.9 mm last 2 years, and declined $3.1 mm

Tarik Black made $6.6 mm last year and the Lakers didn't want that.

Others out there: Ersan Ilyasova, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, and Jonas Jerebko.

Festus Ezeli is still out there, and like Mario Chalmers, still has injury concerns.

GF#1    0
1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

You can't extend contracts shorter than three years.

I used to know contracts and such inside/out. Been slacking the past few years. ;)

Thanks for the correction.

fanboyslim    0
11 hours ago, GF#1 said:

I used to know contracts and such inside/out. Been slacking the past few years. ;)

Thanks for the correction.

That's an area that has changed a lot, having a new CBA every 5 years is not exactly helpful. :)

17 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Were did you get these stats from? ESPN stats show a slightly different picture. In now way do I take ESPN as a gospel on sports stats of course. It was just the first I saw. 

And welcome to the boards. 

Did you really look at those stats?  They actually prove Silverllama's point more than yours.  I know they showed the Grizzlies at 24th, but I don't even understand how they arrived at that number unless they based it on raw totals, which is stupid because the Grizzlies played at one of the slowest paces in the league which logically means less shots taken and, therefore, less rebounds available.

If you compare to the other teams I think Memphis is about 8th in offensive rebounding percentage, 11th in defensive rebounding percentage, and most importantly, 11th in rebounding differential, which is probably the best stat to measure a team's total rebounding.

While I don't think JaMychal is some super rebounder this argument that he only pulled 3.3 rebounds per game in the playoffs seems silly when you don't take into account that his minutes were reduced to less than 20 per game.  I think if Zach Randolph's minutes were reduced that much his rebounding would suffer too.

"Welcome to the boards"?  Silverllama has been on here for ten years, just doesn't post much.

chipc3    0
6 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Did you really look at those stats?  They actually prove Silverllama's point more than yours.  I know they showed the Grizzlies at 24th, but I don't even understand how they arrived at that number unless they based it on raw totals, which is stupid because the Grizzlies played at one of the slowest paces in the league which logically means less shots taken and, therefore, less rebounds available.

If you compare to the other teams I think Memphis is about 8th in offensive rebounding percentage, 11th in defensive rebounding percentage, and most importantly, 11th in rebounding differential, which is probably the best stat to measure a team's total rebounding.

While I don't think JaMychal is some super rebounder this argument that he only pulled 3.3 rebounds per game in the playoffs seems silly when you don't take into account that his minutes were reduced to less than 20 per game.  I think if Zach Randolph's minutes were reduced that much his rebounding would suffer too.

"Welcome to the boards"?  Silverllama has been on here for ten years, just doesn't post much.

I said I don't take ESPN's stats as gospel. I still don't know what Silverlama got his stats and I was trying to be polite when I said welcome to the boards. I didn't go look up his history on when he signed up. Sorry if that offended anyone. 

GF#1    0
3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I said I don't take ESPN's stats as gospel. I still don't know what Silverlama got his stats and I was trying to be polite when I said welcome to the boards. I didn't go look up his history on when he signed up. Sorry if that offended anyone. 

Not that it's a big deal, but his post count would seem to suggest he's not a newbie. :P

Just now, chipc3 said:

But did you even read the stats more than to see MEM at 24th?  Just looking at them it's easy to see that there's something screwy about the way they're ranked.

Nobody's offended, I just couldn't resist an extra poke in fun.

Just to be fair, Chip, I thought that the Grizzlies were a poor rebounding team too, because I had heard it said so many times during the season.  I think that the stats show that they were not really as bad as they were purported to be, though we did struggle with it at times.

chipc3    0
9 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Just to be fair, Chip, I thought that the Grizzlies were a poor rebounding team too, because I had heard it said so many times during the season.  I think that the stats show that they were not really as bad as they were purported to be, though we did struggle with it at times.

Add to this the fact that the team lost its best rebounder and what appears to be an average to slightly above average rebounding team down to below average.

Of course some people expect the unsigned JaMychal Green to suddenly become a more impactful rebounder for the Grizzlies and that someone will pick up Z-Bo's team leading 8 RPG off the bench. I just don't see either of these expectations. 

So while the Grizzlies did grab 54 more rebounds than the opposition last season (444 fewer than league leader OKC), to suggest the team shouldn't worry about rebounding is ignoring real issues. 

Carter, Allen and Randolph combined for 16.7 RPG last season. They are all gone now. Who's going to pick up the slack?

That's a fair question, Chip.  I don't expect Jam to get many more than he got last season.  I am hopeful that Davis can earn some minutes and get some boards, and maybe someone like Selden can grab a few too, but I think it is safe to say we are going to be worse at rebounding than last season.

chipc3    0
1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

But did you even read the stats more than to see MEM at 24th?  Just looking at them it's easy to see that there's something screwy about the way they're ranked.

Nobody's offended, I just couldn't resist an extra poke in fun.

Yes I did. I looked at the stats Silverlama actually referenced in fact:

The grizzlies were top 10 on both defensive rebound rate, and least offensive rebounds rate by opponent.

The Grizzlies according to ESPN were not top in defense rebounds or rebounds per game (11th). The Grizzlies were among the league leaders in opponents offensive rebounds however. 

I'm not trying to be rude here. I just asked where he got his numbers from. Especially considering the overall tone of his comments were that the Grizzlies don't have to worry about rebounds based on last year's numbers and not factoring what has been lost and not replaced.  

Michael D    0
2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Carter, Allen and Randolph combined for 16.7 RPG last season. They are all gone now. Who's going to pick up the slack?

Is Tony Allen officially gone yet?  Has he signed with anyone?

GF#1    0
1 minute ago, Michael D said:

He has not signed with anyone, we're all operating under the assumption that he won't be back.

chipc3    0
16 minutes ago, Michael D said:

No Tony isn't gone yet but the door is closing. If it wasn't for the obvious skill differential with what the team is looking for from their SG, then the numbers say he is gone. The team currently has 16 players either under contract or the team owns their draft rights. They also have an outstanding qualifying offer on JaMychal Green. That's 18 players listed on the team's roster on their website. Only 15 can make the final roster. 

So GF#1 is correct that people are making the assumption but given that the Grizzlies drafted a wing and signed two more wings it is a logical assumption. 

SC Grizz    0
18 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

At this point, I don't know if JaM offers anything much more than what Speights and Dante Cunningham offer, and those are the two free agents I have watched.  He's younger, but not $10 mm/year based on market.

Speights went $1.4 mm last year, and declined $2.1 mm.

Dante averaged about $2.9 mm last 2 years, and declined $3.1 mm

Tarik Black made $6.6 mm last year and the Lakers didn't want that.

Others out there: Ersan Ilyasova, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, and Jonas Jerebko.

Festus Ezeli is still out there, and like Mario Chalmers, still has injury concerns.

Illy and Jerebko are out, but I see no reason why we would not want to bring Dante back if JaM get something crazy.

I have not broken down the stats myself, but I suspect they are fairly similar in a PER 48 context. 

Ndq0327    0

I like the idea of Festus just don't know the deal with his knee.....