Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lord Gordon

How Much Criticism Does Wallace Deserve?

52 posts in this topic

All of the talk is about whether Tony, Zbo, BWright will stay or go, but should Wallace be a part of the conversation?

I think he deserves an incredible amount of criticism of how he has shaped this roster. The problems (back up PG, wing play) continue to be issues year after year after year.

He sucks at drafting and seems to continue to put band aids on a gaping wound.

All of the talk is about whether Tony, Zbo, BWright will stay or go, but should Wallace be a part of the conversation?

I think he deserves an incredible amount of criticism of how he has shaped this roster. The problems (back up PG, wing play) continue to be issues year after year after year.

I thought he had an excellent draft last year, but yeah overall it's just been dismal.

All of it but he just got a new contract and Pera doesn't pay attention to the team so as long as people continue to enjoy being tough outs in the playoffs no one will notice how bad of a gm he really is. I've given up on blaming Wallace just have to pray he gets lucky again or the team finally misses the playoffs in a season where we don't have a draft pic. And the media start calling him out.

I've been pushing media members for a while now for not calling Wallace out on air, but most of them all subscribe to the whole 7straight playoff births crap. So whatever on that subject.

his entire tenure has been meh

however i think he did real good last off season- fizz is great, rookies were solid, big FA aquisition, another playoff birth

we just had injury bug hit

I thought he had an excellent draft last year, but yeah overall it's just been dismal.

What was excellent about it? Davis is the only one that looks promising and Wallace isn't very involved with international scouting that's more Hollingers thing. Baldwin looks like trash would rather have had Ullis if they just had to take a pg which made no sense considering they wanted to develop Harrison

99.9% of the blame. He is truly one of the game's worst GMs, but he gets an eternal pass because growl towels and Core 4 and stuff, even though he was only responsible for 2 of them, and he lucked out with one (Marc), and only got the other(TA) because of the disastrous Ronnie Brewer trade.

I am not a fan of Wallace's recent moves but the fact is he just signed an extension last summer so we better pray he has knocked all the rust off  and is going to have a sensational summer wheeling and dealing. Placing blame for getting a team that had never won a playoff game to 7 consecutive playoff appearances and a run to the Conference Finals as well is silly. Sure his picks haven't panned out but he has found talent, made some decent trades and kept the team competitive for nearly a decade. 

What was excellent about it? Davis is the only one that looks promising and Wallace isn't very involved with international scouting that's more Hollingers thing. Baldwin looks like trash would rather have had Ullis if they just had to take a pg which made no sense considering they wanted to develop Harrison

Please. Nearly every draft grade that I recall that came out after draft night said the Grizzlies had an extremely good draft. I was on board with Baldwin at the time, thought he was the best overall talent and player available. He's going to be able to bring a lot to the table once he gets settled and adjusts. He's gonna be a do it all guy as a stat sheet stuffer. His long arms will translate into him turning into a really good defender as well. If he continues to work on his shot, it's going to serve him well because he will be able to get to the rim any time he wants to. He doesn't have that much of a quick first step, which is why he'll definitely need to develop a consistent outside shot that defenders will honor. He has the frame, size, and athleticism to be a really good player.

It's laughable that you seem so willing to write Baldwin completely off when Davis has virtually produced nothing either to this point. They are both rookies and neither was given an ample amount of games and minutes to truly develop in their first years.

Regardless of how or why we made the Rade pick, we did and it was a good move.

All that I said was that I thought last year's draft was excellent. And I stand by that. Doesn't change the fact that I think Wallace has mostly been lame in the draft.

Of course, all this said, people also wanted to write Mike Conley off early on as well.

This draft will prove to pay huge dividends for the Grizzlies moving forward. You can book mark that.

The Ullis thing hurts but is totally hindsight too.  At the time of the draft he had some hip-issue that scared lots of teams away.   However, if they knew they were signing Harrison as a PG then taking a gamble with Ullis would have been justified. 

The Ullis thing hurts but is totally hindsight too.  At the time of the draft he had some hip-issue that scared lots of teams away.   However, if they knew they were signing Harrison as a PG then taking a gamble with Ullis would have been justified. 

Always hilarious to read what the Grizzlies should have done 10 months later.

Please. Nearly every draft grade that I recall that came out after draft night said the Grizzlies had an extremely good draft. I was on board with Baldwin at the time, thought he was the best overall talent and player available. He's going to be able to bring a lot to the table once he gets settled and adjusts. He's gonna be a do it all guy as a stat sheet stuffer. His long arms will translate into him turning into a really good defender as well. If he continues to work on his shot, it's going to serve him well because he will be able to get to the rim any time he wants to. He doesn't have that much of a quick first step, which is why he'll definitely need to develop a consistent outside shot that defenders will honor. He has the frame, size, and athleticism to be a really good player.

It's laughable that you seem so willing to write Baldwin completely off when Davis has virtually produced nothing either to this point. They are both rookies and neither was given an ample amount of games and minutes to truly develop in their first years.

Regardless of how or why we made the Rade pick, we did and it was a good move.

All that I said was that I thought last year's draft was excellent. And I stand by that. Doesn't change the fact that I think Wallace has mostly been lame in the draft.

Of course, all this said, people also wanted to write Mike Conley off early on as well.

This draft will prove to pay huge dividends for the Grizzlies moving forward. You can book mark that.

Its funny that he needs to work on his shot when he was supposed to be a good three point shooter coming out of school. Its also funny that all of a sudden Ulis hip injury was so scary that we passed on him even though he dominated his workout (sorry GTF) yet we go ahead and max parsons who we knew had a bum knee.

I'm sorry but I am passed the blind optimism stage of my Grizz fandom maybe three years ago I would be on board but I'm at the point now where they need to stop screwing up personnel decisions and stop lying to the fans every off season with their vision of putting a championship team on the court when they never change anything.

Look how long it took Conley to get good.... For a first round pick with potential Baldwin sucked in the DLeague at least Davis shows flashes of being something this team hasn't had since the Whiteside blunder. Baldwin is hype that is going to develop into an underperforming player. The best player we drafted last year is more than likely going to be Zagorac.

Baldwin was not the best player at 17 just the one that was hyped to go there I can look at the list from 18-60 and name you five players that were better than him in college and are better than him now.

Stop believing everything the media says and look for yourself and make your own opinion of what's what with this franchise.

I agree that as far as legit PG play Ulis was better prospect and Grizz FO was actually interested in him so that was a good sign.

I am just not gonna kill them for that decision because of all the other baggage. Namely he was battling a potential serious injury and he is severely undersized. We just got burned by Jordan Adams stuff so taking a risk on another potential injury-prone draft pick was a gamble.

Now going back to how stupid FO is - guaranteeing Harrison a deal then paying MAX for an injured Parsons. Seems to Negate all that.

I am not a fan of Wallace's recent moves but the fact is he just signed an extension last summer so we better pray he has knocked all the rust off  and is going to have a sensational summer wheeling and dealing. Placing blame for getting a team that had never won a playoff game to 7 consecutive playoff appearances and a run to the Conference Finals as well is silly. Sure his picks haven't panned out but he has found talent, made some decent trades and kept the team competitive for nearly a decade.

I don't like him because he gave Conley 30M and Parsons 23.5M. That money could have been spent better elsewhere.

Its funny that he needs to work on his shot when he was supposed to be a good three point shooter coming out of school. Its also funny that all of a sudden Ulis hip injury was so scary that we passed on him even though he dominated his workout (sorry GTF) yet we go ahead and max parsons who we knew had a bum knee.

I'm sorry but I am passed the blind optimism stage of my Grizz fandom maybe three years ago I would be on board but I'm at the point now where they need to stop screwing up personnel decisions and stop lying to the fans every off season with their vision of putting a championship team on the court when they never change anything.

Look how long it took Conley to get good.... For a first round pick with potential Baldwin sucked in the DLeague at least Davis shows flashes of being something this team hasn't had since the Whiteside blunder. Baldwin is hype that is going to develop into an underperforming player. The best player we drafted last year is more than likely going to be Zagorac.

Baldwin was not the best player at 17 just the one that was hyped to go there I can look at the list from 18-60 and name you five players that were better than him in college and are better than him now.

Stop believing everything the media says and look for yourself and make your own opinion of what's what with this franchise.

Hmmmm......why should I believe what others say when I can believe your own words from draft night about how you "love" our draft (post #343 for the easy find)

http://boards.grizzliesonline.com/index.php?showtopic=18869&page=18

This is what really irks me about what you do from time to time. Always the one to criticize moves after the fact when you clearly thought that we had a good draft the night of.

I'm not the smartest guy in the world, and I'm not a professional scout, nor am I privy to all of the information that media outlets and others have. I simply said that it was generally a consensus that the Grizzlies had a really good draft. I know you aren't just going to take my word for everything, so I provided some supporting evidence.

I have seen enough from Baldwin to know that he has all of the tools necessary to become a player based on what I posted earlier. And I think he has the want to and the determination. That's important.

I don't like him because he gave Conley 30M and Parsons 23.5M. That money could have been spent better elsewhere.

Parsons, yes. Conley, no.

Hmmmm......why should I believe what others say when I can believe your own words from draft night about how you "love" our draft (post #343 for the easy find)

This is what really irks me about what you do from time to time. Always the one to criticize moves after the fact when you clearly thought that we had a good draft the night of.

I'm not the smartest guy in the world, and I'm not a professional scout, nor am I privy to all of the information that media outlets and others have. I simply said that it was generally a consensus that the Grizzlies had a really good draft. I know you aren't just going to take my word for everything, so I provided some supporting evidence.

I have seen enough from Baldwin to know that he has all of the tools necessary to become a player based on what I posted earlier. And I think he has the want to and the determination. That's important.

Im not gone back track on what I said but that's a pretty blanket statement considering I only pointed out Davis as a standout. I could have easily said the same thing if you replaced Baldwin with another player.

My thing is after watching him this season I have no reason to believe he's gonna be any help any time soon especially if we are developing Harrison. But there are rookies that I also like in the draft that not only helped their team this season but in seasons to com Malcolm Brodgon being the guy I'm referring to.

He lucked into the Core 4 (two of which he tried to trade for some hot garbage at one point) and has not made ONE game-changing move since acquiring Tony and Zbo. And he has ****** away every. single. draft.

He needs to go.

But Pera is all wrapped up in Ubiquiti and we're winning every year so nothing will happen.

He lucked into the Core 4 (two of which he tried to trade for some hot garbage at one point) and has not made ONE game-changing move since acquiring Tony and Zbo. And he has ****** away every. single. draft.

He needs to go.

But Pera is all wrapped up in Ubiquiti and we're winning every year so nothing will happen.

He deserves credit for Marc too. But I agree. And he never could have known Tony Allen would have provided the all around impact that he ended up providing.

A lot.

He got lucky with Fizdale.

Ehhhh, I wouldn't quite go that far. Getting lucky to me would imply that he took a shot in the dark on an unproven commodity. All assistants are essentially unproven, but Fizdale had been to 4 straight NBA finals, and was well known across the league for helping develop young talent for the Heat. He was around guys like Lebron and Wade, just getting to be able to see their personalities around the rest of the team and what it takes to be a leader was huge for him. Coaching against Popovich and Carlisle in the finals.

Getting lucky is what happened when Heisley hired Hollins. But man that turned out good.

Fizdale had more substance to it. I'll give Wallace that one.

You okay with paying a person who you say and I do 2, isn't a SS, 30M a year??? The Grizz got practically 75M in 3 players, I wouldn't think they got much left for the other 12. If you were TA or Z, would you take less with Conley getting paid so well?

Thanks for the link, you can see my immediate thoughts on Baldwin calling him a goober a couple minutes after he was drafted and saying that we should have taken Davis and/or Luwawu instead which Luwawu is well on his way to proving to be the superior player. And then saying the Spurs took a superior pg prospect with Murray 10+ picks later who also had a superior rookie season. 

Baldwin had a terrible rookie season and did nothing to disprove the questions that he's not really a point guard and he's not really a shooting guard either. We had a glaring need at the 2 guard spot and post draft everybody was patting themselves on the back for getting someone who could play with Conley. Instead, they were rolling with a super late 2nd rounder, undrafted players (Williams/Selden) and fringe NBA guys (Ennis). This is the same bad stuff as the Martin pick who will probably get cut next year. 

Ironically, I had a post saying: 

"The league is starving for good wings and bigmen, there are mediocre points available everyday in the d-league and free agency."

And what did we end up doing, rolling with d-league points (Douglas and Harrison) throughout the year. 

I'm not counting on his character either after what he did at Vanderbilt and how his coaches trashed him when he left. 

I think the Grizzlies had a bad draft because they wasted 2 out of 3 picks, obviously if Davis turns out really well he will override the others. 

D-League:

Whiteside - 65 games   7.2 ppg,  5.5 rpg,  2.3 bpg

Baldwin - 33 games   12.9 ppg,  5.3 apg,  1.3 spg

I just don't get how Whiteside is a "blunder" and Baldwin "sucks".  Whiteside never demonstrated much with six D-League teams and one NBA team before he went to Miami.  Baldwin has shown more promise in his first season than Whiteside did up to that point and you say he's trash.  You're just a Monday morning quarterback.  Anyone can do that.

I agree that as far as legit PG play Ulis was better prospect and Grizz FO was actually interested in him so that was a good sign.

I am just not gonna kill them for that decision because of all the other baggage. Namely he was battling a potential serious injury and he is severely undersized. We just got burned by Jordan Adams stuff so taking a risk on another potential injury-prone draft pick was a gamble.

Now going back to how stupid FO is - guaranteeing Harrison a deal then paying MAX for an injured Parsons. Seems to Negate all that.

What does Harrison getting a piddly little guaranteed contract have anything to do with Parsons?  The don't even remotely play the same function.

Really?  Where?  In case you haven't noticed free agents seldom choose Memphis, at least no free agents of any consequence.  I'm okay with Mike's deal, not too keen on Parson's.