Sign in to follow this  
TT_Grizz

It's Time To Talk About Marc Gasol

Now y'all want to rewrite Pau's history? GTFO!

Kobe led those teams. It wasn't co anything.

This board gets dumber and dumber...

Now y'all want to rewrite Pau's history? GTFO!

Kobe led those teams. It wasn't co anything.

This board gets dumber and dumber...

Today we're Kobe's best moments but there's no chance they win without Pau.

Man I can't believe how y'all turned on Marc and the herd mentality running with it.

"If Marc had taken more shots we would have won the series"

Really?

There are always instances in games where ifs & buts decide games.

If Zach nails the two bunnies in the post, if Mike nails the 3 on the breakout from the Spurs TO to go up 10.

Others needed to step up.

I don't see how Marc making a few more contested shot attempts in the paint while doubled and tripled (which Pops had game planned after game 1)

"would have won us the series"

When you pass out to a guy for a open corner 3, who then proceeds to pumpfake his way to glory, and then drives to the paint for a side-on, off balance scoop shot layup with 3 closing in, these are the kind of things that would be very frustrating to Marc and are emblematic of our main problem - the talent level to surround Mike and Marc isn't there.

As BHZ said, the guy needs to have decent talent level around him.

Honestly we placed around him:

No NBA starting level SG,

A broken $94mil SF, and when that didn't work, PumpFake MkII, or a 40 year old expecting him to do what he did @ Sydney Olympics.

A starting PF who only once in 86 games did he reach 20+ points

That's the starters.

Then add absolutely useless no contributors off the bench that basically took up roster and capspace and what do you get?

BHZ used a great comparison ^^^ when talking about Paul and Marc and the surrounding players, the exact same can be said right here for Marc.

Honestly sweeping away everyone except Mike Marc Harrison Selden Davis maybe Zach, maybe Daniels, would save $25mil per year in salary, probably more in cap holds when you consider the increase from current salary Green would get in an offer by another team. There is value to be gotten out in the market if one looks close enough.

The killer ham stringer is Chandler Parsons. If this guy does not provide something resembling max contract play, then we a BBQ'd for a decade and heads must roll.

That's even more reason for him to step up. There's a reason why everyone amongst the franchise - fans, commentators, coaches, players, writers all collectively sigh and get frustrated when Marc isn't even looking at the basket and is solely looking around the perimeter to pass.

I honestly think Brevin hates him at this point. He goes in.

Man I can't believe how y'all turned on Marc and the herd mentality running with it.

"If Marc had taken more shots we would have won the series"

Really?

There are always instances in games where ifs & buts decide games.

If Zach nails the two bunnies in the post, if Mike nails the 3 on the breakout from the Spurs TO to go up 10.

Others needed to step up.

They don't really give many other guys a chance to step up. Conley should've done that when he took the last 3. JMG would be a much better scorer if only they would give him a chance. BTW, Ennis had the highest shooting % last night of the starting unit and Pete said he got fouled on the drive to the basket. 1 thing about Gasol, he will pass the ball to open guys. 2 or 3 guys won't win basketball games by themselves shooting all the time.

I don't see how Marc making a few more contested shot attempts in the paint while doubled and tripled (which Pops had game planned after game 1)

"would have won us the series"

When you pass out to a guy for a open corner 3, who then proceeds to pumpfake his way to glory, and then drives to the paint for a side-on, off balance scoop shot layup with 3 closing in, these are the kind of things that would be very frustrating to Marc and are emblematic of our main problem - the talent level to surround Mike and Marc isn't there.

As BHZ said, the guy needs to have decent talent level around him.

Honestly we placed around him:

No NBA starting level SG,

A broken $94mil SF, and when that didn't work, PumpFake MkII, or a 40 year old expecting him to do what he did @ Sydney Olympics.

A starting PF who only once in 86 games did he reach 20+ points

That's the starters.

Then add absolutely useless no contributors off the bench that basically took up roster and capspace and what do you get?

BHZ used a great comparison ^^^ when talking about Paul and Marc and the surrounding players, the exact same can be said right here for Marc.

Honestly sweeping away everyone except Mike Marc Harrison Selden Davis maybe Zach, maybe Daniels, would save $25mil per year in salary, probably more in cap holds when you consider the increase from current salary Green would get in an offer by another team. There is value to be gotten out in the market if one looks close enough.

The killer ham stringer is Chandler Parsons. If this guy does not provide something resembling max contract play, then we a BBQ'd for a decade and heads must roll.

Wait til Boston loses, likely in the conference finals to the Cavs.....

Call them and sell them on the idea that we have what you need to get over the hump....

A 7'1 all-star center that can shoot the 3.....

and we'd be willing to trade him to you but it will cost you 

A. Jaylen Brown

B. The nets 1st round pick

C. whatever filler to make it work.

Hey Luv Em Grizzlies,

Don't use my quote, edit to your benefit, and then put it up there so it looks like my words.

I know what I said. You separate your words from mine if your going to quote me.

Everyone has and had their chances.

Green had 86 games of them, and only once or twice did he score 20+

Fiz had to bring Zach back into the starting lineup. Why?

Because Green could not be relied on to be a scorer. It has NOTHING to do with Zach not accepting his role as a bench player.

Ennis would have a great FG%, just like CLee did - when you only take shots that are completely wide open, of course you would. Foul or not, it was dumb play he made, and it was not the only instance in that game where he passed up an open 3, to simply take no shot and pass out, or take a harder, stupider shot. He basically did it all series except in game 4, and even in that game started out the same way, until Fiz got onto him. He honestly crapped himself.

Gasol should pass out if he is doubled and there is a better shot to be had by someone else. But guys need to step up and take and make those shots. The only bench guy who doesn't have a problem understanding that is Daniels. No wonder Marc gets frustrated by the play of others sometimes.

After this series, it should be clear to everyone that for the good of the franchise, Marc Gasol should be traded.  And I am someone who has defended him the entire time he has been here.  I think justifiably so.  

But here is the problem; Marc is an all-star caliber player who refuses to be who we need him to be.  And what's worse, he's too smart not to understand that he is doing this.  Getting him shooting 3s was great to watch, but the trade off was it gave him a legit excuse not to dig down in the trenches.  And it's only when he does that does he get aggressive.  

Z-bo's game 3 in the Spurs series was the end of any real noise we would get out of Marc, the end of game 4 notwithstanding.  Take away the two plays towards the end of game 4, and he was nonexistent most of this series.  He is more than willing to defer, and if that's what he's going to do, he's got to go.  He is at worst our #2 guy right now, and the #2 guy can't be a guy who defers, unless it's to the #1 guy.  Gasol is deferring to everybody on the team, and the team is suffering for it.  

So if he's not going to be who we need him to be, yet he still has what I think is tremendous value, trade him.  The star is already shifting over Conley's head after this series, so the front office shouldn't be worried about losing ticket sales.

You trade Marc, you're probably netting a first round pick, a player who can help us right now, and a decent prospect or two.  I really don't care who it is specifically, as long as in Marc's vacuum we pull in a backcourt partner for Conley that is a legitimate starting talent in this league.  Then the Deyonta Davis experiment goes into full swing, and you pull in a decent frontcourt player to bolster the rotation somewhat.  

I think it will hurt us in some ways, but it's the same as the Pau trade.  It just needs to happen at this point.

So yes, put me on the "trade Marc" train.  Not because he sucks, but because he is selfishly refusing to give us what we need him to give us.  And I don't see that changing.

Hey Luv Em Grizzlies,

Don't use my quote, edit to your benefit, and then put it up there so it looks like my words.

I know what I said. You separate your words from mine if your going to quote me.

Because Green could not be relied on to be a scorer. It has NOTHING to do with Zach not accepting his role as a bench player.

Ennis would have a great FG%, just like CLee did - when you only take shots that are completely wide open, of course you would. Foul or not, it was dumb play he made, and it was not the only instance in that game where he passed up an open 3, to simply take no shot and pass out, or take a harder, stupider shot. He basically did it all series except in game 4, and even in that game started out the same way, until Fiz got onto him. He honestly crapped himself.

Gasol should pass out if he is doubled and there is a better shot to be had by someone else. But guys need to step up and take and make those shots. The only bench guy who doesn't have a problem understanding that is Daniels. No wonder Marc gets frustrated by the play of others sometimes.

For some reason, what I typed didn't take. Now I've forgotten what I said. I think I said something about what Don Meredith said about if and buts, you know, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts

For some reason, what I typed didn't take. Now I've forgotten what I said. I think I said something about what Don Meredith said about if and buts, you know, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts

ok gotcha.

Yeah I agree with this, that is my original point, debating against the general comment that "if Marc takes more shots we win the series."

I get that he should have stamped his presence in the 4th qtr, no question, but the whole problem is deeper than that. It's the talent level on the bench.

I think possibly you said earlier that 2 or 3 guys can't make all the shots. Totally agree, and that is also my point.

But I get it about what NDQ says about the most tradeable piece, and the capspace. That makes the Parsons thing even more devastating.

I just get a bit frustrated at the scrublove on these boards sometimes when half of the bench ain't done Jack, don't look like doing Jack, and are taking up roster and capspace.

How good do you expect a bench to be? There off the bench for a reason.

Sure if Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen were off the bench Marc would probably get a pass for deferring to then constantly, but they're not, so constantly deferring to every other player but himself is hurting us.

You can see it, sometimes he'll just be looking to pass and a guy like Daniels or Ennis isn't ready for it but comes over on the perimeter gets it and is like 'okay I'll try something' and Marc sets some lazy bull**** pick and thinks he's a floor general

After this series, it should be clear to everyone that for the good of the franchise, Marc Gasol should be traded. And I am someone who has defended him the entire time he has been here. I think justifiably so.

But here is the problem; Marc is an all-star caliber player who refuses to be who we need him to be. And what's worse, he's too smart not to understand that he is doing this. Getting him shooting 3s was great to watch, but the trade off was it gave him a legit excuse not to dig down in the trenches. And it's only when he does that does he get aggressive.

Z-bo's game 3 in the Spurs series was the end of any real noise we would get out of Marc, the end of game 4 notwithstanding. Take away the two plays towards the end of game 4, and he was nonexistent most of this series. He is more than willing to defer, and if that's what he's going to do, he's got to go. He is at worst our #2 guy right now, and the #2 guy can't be a guy who defers, unless it's to the #1 guy. Gasol is deferring to everybody on the team, and the team is suffering for it.

So if he's not going to be who we need him to be, yet he still has what I think is tremendous value, trade him. The star is already shifting over Conley's head after this series, so the front office shouldn't be worried about losing ticket sales.

You trade Marc, you're probably netting a first round pick, a player who can help us right now, and a decent prospect or two. I really don't care who it is specifically, as long as in Marc's vacuum we pull in a backcourt partner for Conley that is a legitimate starting talent in this league. Then the Deyonta Davis experiment goes into full swing, and you pull in a decent frontcourt player to bolster the rotation somewhat.

I think it will hurt us in some ways, but it's the same as the Pau trade. It just needs to happen at this point.

So yes, put me on the "trade Marc" train. Not because he sucks, but because he is selfishly refusing to give us what we need him to give us. And I don't see that changing.

Well put.

If you're advocating for trading Marc, you need to at least realize what his value is around the league. He's arguably the best center in the NBA. You don't trade that to get peanuts in return.

If you're advocating for trading Marc, you need to at least realize what his value is around the league. He's arguably the best center in the NBA. You don't trade that to get peanuts in return.

No doubt.  He should net a starting caliiber player and an unconditional 1st round pick to start, and then see what additional pieces will be added from there in what would hopefully be a bidding war.

Hey Luv Em Grizzlies,

I get your sentiment but he actually had four of 83 (77 reg season and 6 PO).  21, 29, 20, & 20, those last two being 20/10 games.  He added six or seven 15+ games as well.  I know, not a lot, but he isn't out there to score.  He's out there because he's a better defender than any other PF on the team.  Several times after getting switched on a screen defensively onto Kawhi he played just about as good defensively as you could ask for, turning Kawhi back and making him pass.  He passes up a lot of open shots that I think he can make, usually early in the shot clock, but that is what most of the role players on our team do.  It makes me wonder if that is what they have been told to do, which would mean that the acquisition of someone like T. Jones would not reap any more benefits if they are told to pass up shots.  I think that he needs to shoot when open earlier in the shot clock.  If he did, his scoring would increase a bit and take more of the burden off Marc and Mike, but he will never be a scorer.  He is just a role player, but if he could bring his scoring up to a 12-13ppg average it would be helpful.  Still, I agree that we do not need to overpay for him, but do you think that T. Jones is going to come cheaper?

I think the reason Fizz brought Randolph into the starting lineup is because Green was too small to bang with Aldridge, Gasol, Lee, and Dedmon.

I know that one play in game 6 was frustrating, but actually Ennis did shoot that corner three more in that game going 3 of 4 from behind the arc.  Otherwise, yeah, just like our other role players who never shoot.  In fact, the only role player who unquestionably shoots when he is in the game is Daniels, but when Conley is on the floor it just seems that Daniels is only a decoy.  In six playoff games Daniels had nine attempts.

No doubt. He should net a starting caliiber player and an unconditional 1st round pick to start, and then see what additional pieces will be added from there in what would hopefully be a bidding war.

I agree completely.

I get your sentiment but he actually had four of 83 (77 reg season and 6 PO). 21, 29, 20, & 20, those last two being 20/10 games. He added six or seven 15+ games as well. I know, not a lot, but he isn't out there to score. He's out there because he's a better defender than any other PF on the team. Several times after getting switched on a screen defensively onto Kawhi he played just about as good defensively as you could ask for, turning Kawhi back and making him pass. He passes up a lot of open shots that I think he can make, usually early in the shot clock, but that is what most of the role players on our team do. It makes me wonder if that is what they have been told to do, which would mean that the acquisition of someone like T. Jones would not reap any more benefits if they are told to pass up shots. I think that he needs to shoot when open earlier in the shot clock. If he did, his scoring would increase a bit and take more of the burden off Marc and Mike, but he will never be a scorer. He is just a role player, but if he could bring his scoring up to a 12-13ppg average it would be helpful. Still, I agree that we do not need to overpay for him, but do you think that T. Jones is going to come cheaper?

I think the reason Fizz brought Randolph into the starting lineup is because Green was too small to bang with Aldridge, Gasol, Lee, and Dedmon.

I know that one play in game 6 was frustrating, but actually Ennis did shoot that corner three more in that game going 3 of 4 from behind the arc. Otherwise, yeah, just like our other role players who never shoot. In fact, the only role player who unquestionably shoots when he is in the game is Daniels, but when Conley is on the floor it just seems that Daniels is only a decoy. In six playoff games Daniels had nine attempts.

thanks for correcting the stats record, I watched the game he scored 29, and the game after that.

Yeah, I see what your saying, so what is the answer to why?

Is it deferment, is it Fix instructions, , is it timidity?

On TJones, I'm not on the inside so I don't know if the problem is attitude, desire, a coach's preference, injury concern, and obviously these need to be looked before any consideration given, but I do know and have seen that he is proven, he can score from inside and the perimeter, he can defend, has athleticism, has played playoff ball. But yes I do think he'd be cheap, he was picked up cheap by Pelicans after being waived by Hou, and Bucks picked him up after waived by Pelicans after no bites from other teams, then waived again. Need to examine the reasons for this

Were not trading Gasol and both Zbo and Allen will be back. No point of even discussing any other scenario

If major shakeup happens - i would be totally cool with resigning JaMyke and picking up TJones on a cheap deal.

Bottom line is that if our big money AllStar center played to his ability and actually gave a **** about rebounding we force a game 7.

Our role players weren't the problem, all things considered they played well. also no matter how much JaM gets paid in offseason right now he is still just a role player.

I am simply just tired of the whole Gasol song and dance. Dude is 32yrs old and unwilling to do what's necessary for the team to succeed at a high level. If he wants to play ball the "right way" let him do it for another team.

Another thing!

Why does Gasol get such a pass with media in regards to his Terrible body language, diva attitude and complaining to the refs. But that' same media used to absolutely kill Rudy daily.

For all his faults there was one thing Rudy never got accused of and that's not showing up in big games.

Bottom line is that if our big money AllStar center played to his ability and actually gave a **** about rebounding we force a game 7.

The thing is, he never has and never will..If he doesn't in a must win G6 at home..Or really any game outside of G1 in a winnable playoff series. When will he?

If he didn't in a winnable series in a 2nd round playoff series, and when the opposing team has a matchup problem with him, then when will he?

If he can't in must win games down the stretch of an optimistic season where a high seed is attainable, and his teammates and coaches are begging him to impose his will and play to his abilities, when will he?

He's 32, I think it's safe to say he is who he is. He's a stubborn fool. Time to move on.

Were not trading Gasol and both Zbo and Allen will be back. No point of even discussing any other scenario

Wallace Special!