Sign in to follow this  
TT_Grizz

It's Time To Talk About Marc Gasol

Wow, so many people are now seeing it my way.  I wanted him traded before he got hurt last year.

Here's my issue with him.  I want this team to have a banner at least and we got nothing so far. Two years ago, we could have had a division banner, but marc gasol played passive after the all star break when he had been playing at an high level BEFORE the all star game.  We lost the banner.  We lost in the playoffs.  He got his big contract and then came back not in the best shape.  Then he got hurt later in the year.

I'm not intestested in a center who wants to make an assist twice as bad as he wants to get a rebound.

I will credit him for hitting a lot of 3's this year which also masks the fact that he is slow getting back since he stands at the top of the key most of the time.  If marc is under the offensive rim and gets outrebounded by a guard (which happens so often), then it's almost a guaranteed basket the other way.  

The bad part of having him stand at the 3 point line is he never figured out what to do when teams would guard him with a point guard.

Also, i dislike passing him the ball at all on offense if he isn't going to shoot.  Nothing pisses me off more than when it becomes obvious he is trying to work on his assist totals.

Don't understand why you guys think D'Angelo Russell and a 1rst rd pick from the lakers is a weak sauce deal.     Dude is only 21yrs old and was the SECOND pick of the draft a year ago.   He IS the lottery pick but bonus of  already being developed.  Russell is 6'5' with a 6''9 wingspan and already a dynamic scorer.   Pair that with Conley and at the very least we are still a playoff team but now we have upside again.

If the Lakers are going to get Paul George then its likely they would want to surround him with some veterans to get to relevance quickly.  Clarkson + George + Ingram + Randle + Gasol can be a good team.  

Don't understand why you guys think D'Angelo Russell and a 1rst rd pick from the lakers is a weak sauce deal.     Dude is only 21yrs old and was the SECOND pick of the draft a year ago.   He IS the lottery pick but bonus of  already being developed.  Russell is 6'5' with a 6''9 wingspan and already a dynamic scorer.   Pair that with Conley and at the very least we are still a playoff team but now we have upside again.

If the Lakers are going to get Paul George then its likely they would want to surround him with some veterans to get to relevance quickly.  Clarkson + George + Ingram + Randle + Gasol can be a good team.  

I dig your line of thinking, but I'm sure they would probably have to use Russell in the trade to acquire George.

Don't understand why you guys think D'Angelo Russell and a 1rst rd pick from the lakers is a weak sauce deal. Dude is only 21yrs old and was the SECOND pick of the draft a year ago. He IS the lottery pick but bonus of already being developed. Russell is 6'5' with a 6''9 wingspan and already a dynamic scorer. Pair that with Conley and at the very least we are still a playoff team but now we have upside again.

If the Lakers are going to get Paul George then its likely they would want to surround him with some veterans to get to relevance quickly. Clarkson + George + Ingram + Randle + Gasol can be a good team.

How does that help us you are replacing Marc with Russel so maybe there is more scoring but how do you fill in the other holes? We don't draw FA's remember so opening up money isn't that useful. I think we should focus on filling holes with a marc trade and just hope a star emerges organically.

I dig your line of thinking, but I'm sure they would probably have to use Russell in the trade to acquire George.

We don't know that though.  Plus they have a new inexperienced GM in Magic Johnson so it's possible he bites on a deal like that.   Lakers got tons of young talent. 

I don't see a reason why BOS would do a trade for Marc when they already have younger Horford and Olynk. And we know Ainge is stingy with draft picks too. 

Lakers are tired of being irrelevant and a new GM's always  try to make a splash.   So adding Marc to their team with prospect of getting George could be something that could attract the attention of other high level free agents like CP3 to sign with them. 

Proudful Ceilar dwellers like the Knicks or Lakers are the most likely trade partners for a "Big Name" like Marc.  

How does that help us you are replacing Marc with Russel so maybe there is more scoring but how do you fill in the other holes? We don't draw FA's remember so opening up money isn't that useful. I think we should focus on filling holes with a marc trade and just hope a star emerges organically.

Russell makes it easier on Conley and he has the upside everyone is looking for. 

In my trade proposal (Russell + Mozgov + Pick) Mozgov is the place holder center until Davis is ready.    We still have Parsons on roster and resign JaM (and possibly TJones too).  Selden and Ennis have shown themselves to have the potential to become solid 3D wing role-players and can play either wing spot.   Harrison and Wade get another year of development time but even if they still stink - we have Russell that can play PG too. 

Mike/Harrison/Wade

D'Angelo/Selden/Daniels

Ennis/Parsons/Rade

JaM/TJones or Martin

Mozgov or Davis/Wright.

What other holes do we have?   

If we do have any then we can potentially do an additional trade of Martin + Wright to address it.   We just watched a series were we almost went 7 games against 2nd best player on the 2nd best team in the league; with NOBODY on the perimeter being able to help Conley. 

This team is Mike's now and Fizdale wants it to play a certain way.  Bringing back Marc and Zbo keeps us in the past and potentially slipping out of playoffs.   We need a shakeup and only dude that should be safe is Mike. 

I definitely will take Russell in a trade for Marc. My goodness at what Fizdale could do with him. 

My only concern is what he could be defensively. 

Wow, so many people are now seeing it my way. I wanted him traded before he got hurt last year.

Here's my issue with him. I want this team to have a banner at least and we got nothing so far. Two years ago, we could have had a division banner, but marc gasol played passive after the all star break when he had been playing at an high level BEFORE the all star game. We lost the banner. We lost in the playoffs. He got his big contract and then came back not in the best shape. Then he got hurt later in the year.

I'm not intestested in a center who wants to make an assist twice as bad as he wants to get a rebound.

I will credit him for hitting a lot of 3's this year which also masks the fact that he is slow getting back since he stands at the top of the key most of the time. If marc is under the offensive rim and gets outrebounded by a guard (which happens so often), then it's almost a guaranteed basket the other way.

The bad part of having him stand at the 3 point line is he never figured out what to do when teams would guard him with a point guard.

Also, i dislike passing him the ball at all on offense if he isn't going to shoot. Nothing pisses me off more than when it becomes obvious he is trying to work on his assist totals.

Yeah he got shut down by Harrison Barnes and Draymond in the later games was a huge reason we lost that Golden State series.

He got injured the next year.

He declined after all star break again and didn't show anybody up in the playoffs, again.

I'd almost want the fat defensive Gasol back because it'd mean we wouldn't be using ton of cap space in him.

Just a total frustrating disappointment of a player.. Idk how much fans can take

I'd definitely trade Marc if he could net a high level wing. 

Gasol to the Bulls for Butler would be great if they would bite.

If the Magic want Parsons I would take a deal centered around Biyombo and the #25 pick. 

Conley/Harrison/Baldwin

?/Daniels/Selden

Butler/Ennis

?/Wright/Martin

Biyombo/Davis

Not sure how much cap space would be available after the trades but I would try to go hard after Blake Griffin or Paul Millsap to fill in the starting 4 spot if possible. 3&D guy to fill in at starting SG (or one of the young guys depending how well they develop). 

Did you see his exit interview? A reporter brought up zero shots in the 4th and he did his typical 'basketballs about finding the right read, I can't think of any plays when I could have taken one' defensive stats don't matter mumbo jumbo

I definitely will take Russell in a trade for Marc. My goodness at what Fizdale could do with him. 

My only concern is what he could be defensively. 

Yea it does put one in the mind of Dame + CJ except major difference is that Conley does actually care about defense.  This is why developing Ennis and Selden into defensive stoppers comes in.  

Think about with an athletic dynamic starting 5 like the following

Mike

Russell

Ennis

JaMyke

Davis

That would be fun to watch!

Did you see his exit interview? A reporter brought up zero shots in the 4th and he did his typical 'basketballs about finding the right read, I can't think of any plays when I could have taken one' defensive stats don't matter mumbo jumbo

It's unbelievable man. It's insane he doesn't realize taking over with his skill set is the better play than making a read where you would pass to a role player like Ennis or TA to do something with the shot clock running down.

Also...one thing I've noticed when he plays with ZBo, it takes Gasol anywhere from 6-10 s to make the "right" entry pass to ZBo. He wastes so much time trying to make the right play while wasting away the shot clock. Be decisive...if you wanna make the right read, make it quick or go to the bench. He'll never realize that the best read when he's on the floor usually involves him being aggressive on the offensive end.

firt off this only make sense if parson is back healthy

im not saying we should trade gasol (just going with the rest of the posters on this tread) but if we do it needs to be handled like this

gasol to brooklyn for lopez straight up- he is basicly a more agrressive version of marc

let jam walk and invest his time into martin who i believe has a way higher ceiling than jam

bring back vc,ta,z-bo only on vet mins and as bench role players

conley/ta/baldwin

harrison/daniels/ennis

parsons/vc/sheldon

martin/randolph/wright

lopez/davis/wright

marc would be so much better if he had a scorer/shooters mentality and was confident with it

he's a great passer no doubt but if he focused on MAKING BUCKETS he would go to the next level offensively like conley has imo

basically id like to see him play more like Dirk Nowitzski on offense and less like Boris Djaw

Russell makes it easier on Conley and he has the upside everyone is looking for.

In my trade proposal (Russell + Mozgov + Pick) Mozgov is the place holder center until Davis is ready. We still have Parsons on roster and resign JaM (and possibly TJones too). Selden and Ennis have shown themselves to have the potential to become solid 3D wing role-players and can play either wing spot. Harrison and Wade get another year of development time but even if they still stink - we have Russell that can play PG too.

Mike/Harrison/Wade

D'Angelo/Selden/Daniels

Ennis/Parsons/Rade

JaM/TJones or Martin

Mozgov or Davis/Wright.

What other holes do we have?

If we do have any then we can potentially do an additional trade of Martin + Wright to address it. We just watched a series were we almost went 7 games against 2nd best player on the 2nd best team in the league; with NOBODY on the perimeter being able to help Conley.

This team is Mike's now and Fizdale wants it to play a certain way. Bringing back Marc and Zbo keeps us in the past and potentially slipping out of playoffs. We need a shakeup and only dude that should be safe is Mike.

As much as I like youth and athleticism nothing about this roster screams promising future.

I don't like Jam he fits a role sure but he's pretty much tapped potential wise. I'd rather have Jones and save the money we would spend on Green. I don't think Russell would fit in here at all sure he could be the dynamic sg but I don't see the fit.

I really want the team to produce their own star. I've never liked the idea of trying to get another teams star player if all the other teams in the league can find a way to produce stars why can't we.

What if next year we take the reigns off Seldon, Wade, Ennis, Harrison, Zagorac, and Davis and tell them we need one of you to become our next core player. Now maybe that's not possible cause they're not good enough but that's what I hope this team can accomplish in the future

marc would be so much better if he had a scorer/shooters mentality and was confident with it

he's a great passer no doubt but if he focused on MAKING BUCKETS he would go to the next level offensively like conley has imo

basically id like to see him play more like Dirk Nowitzski on offense and less like Boris Djaw

We all would man.. We all would.

Fiz, Conley, the whole organization wants him to but he's too big of a pansy to do it consistently and thinks it's bad basketball

He is who he is and honestly its nothing wrong with that. Its just he's not the right fit for this team unless we continue to add legit talent around him.

People thought of Pau the same way until he went to the Lakers and was utilizing his passing abilities with guys like Kobe, Bynum, Odom, etc. Meanwhile, he had guys like Bonzi Wells, Shane Battier, Stromile Swift in Memphis. 

That's why I said either we find a way to put some more talent around him that fits his game so he can differ or trade him. I think the FO is definitely going to see how a healthy Parsons fit with him and Mike before anything is done. That's the sad part about this season is that we are going into another offseason with a ton of unknowns because of health issues with our biggest FA acquisition. Last offseason the unknowns were of course related to Conley/Gasol health and adding a 3rd piece.

It would make things easier if we knew what we had in Parsons.

This is almost a new topic. Who is better? Pau during his prime or Marc at his?

Umm. Pau? Pau was an elite player. Marc never really has a prime because he can't do it consistently.

Marc's nice little stretches you'd think would make him start a conversation on it, but he's no where near Pau overall.

Pau was soft at times too, but he knew he had to assert himself at times. Marc is deathly afraid of it. He's so afraid of it that he's convinced himself he's being smart by not asserting himself

This is almost a new topic.  Who is better?  Pau during his prime or Marc at his?

Pau was truly one of the best big men during his career.  Without a question, i'd take prime pau over prime marc anyday.

Man I can't believe how y'all turned on Marc and the herd mentality running with it.

"If Marc had taken more shots we would have won the series"

Really?

There are always instances in games where ifs & buts decide games.

If Zach nails the two bunnies in the post, if Mike nails the 3 on the breakout from the Spurs TO to go up 10.

Others needed to step up.

I don't see how Marc making a few more contested shot attempts in the paint while doubled and tripled (which Pops had game planned after game 1)

"would have won us the series"

When you pass out to a guy for a open corner 3, who then proceeds to pumpfake his way to glory, and then drives to the paint for a side-on, off balance scoop shot layup with 3 closing in, these are the kind of things that would be very frustrating to Marc and are emblematic of our main problem - the talent level to surround Mike and Marc isn't there.

As BHZ said, the guy needs to have decent talent level around him.

Honestly we placed around him:

No NBA starting level SG,

A broken $94mil SF, and when that didn't work, PumpFake MkII, or a 40 year old expecting him to do what he did @ Sydney Olympics.

A starting PF who only once in 86 games did he reach 20+ points

That's the starters.

Then add absolutely useless no contributors off the bench that basically took up roster and capspace and what do you get?

BHZ used a great comparison ^^^ when talking about Paul and Marc and the surrounding players, the exact same can be said right here for Marc.

Honestly sweeping away everyone except Mike Marc Harrison Selden Davis maybe Zach, maybe Daniels, would save $25mil per year in salary, probably more in cap holds when you consider the increase from current salary Green would get in an offer by another team. There is value to be gotten out in the market if one looks close enough.

The killer ham stringer is Chandler Parsons. If this guy does not provide something resembling max contract play, then we a BBQ'd for a decade and heads must roll.