Sign in to follow this  
TT_Grizz

It's Time To Talk About Marc Gasol

Marc to the Lakers for Jordan Clarkson + Tarik Black + 28th pick.

Totally disagree with ya'll on dropping JaMyke. I would rather move on from Zbo first. Dude had the second best +Netrtg in the series and is only 26yrs old!! Let him grow with the team. We have his bird rights so we can safely resign him. He will fit Fizz system very well.

TJones is better than him easily and cheaper

I would honestly purse that Charlotte idea between Lamb and Zeller either of those two can become a break out player and Marvin Williams is a better version of Jam if they through in their pic for marc and whoever there is no way I could pass that up

I said it last year that I want to get a few quality pieces Rather than 1 big star.

It is similar to what houston did when they let Howard go.

The grizzlies are going to have to get some flexabilty somewhere to move this team forward. Maybe we do a pay deal with Marc.

It certainly did not hurt the rockets losing howard.

Disagree with the first part-That's a horrible trade.

Agree on the 2nd part. He was a little disappointing this series, but he routinely gets disrespected by the fans because he started over Zach.

Okay how about D'Angelo Russell (ItIsWhatItIs suggestion) + Timofy Mozgov + 28th pick.  

That gives us the dynamic wing scorer and starting caliber center we need. 

Mike/Harrison/Wade

D'Angelo/Selden/Daniels

Ennis/Martin

JaM/Parsons/

Davis/Mozgov/Wright

Move on from Zbo and Tony.   Yes i have Parsons plugged in as backup PF because no way he will have athleticism to play SF anymore.  At best he can be the bench scorer to replace Zbo 's production.    Martin is place holder at SF but i think they should try to find a defensive-minded true SF otherwise Ennis gets start by default. 

Mike and D'Angelo would be the most dynamic scoring wing combo we ever had.    They can both play on and off the ball and score from anywhere on the court.    

TJones is better than him easily and cheaper

I am not disputing that offensively but JaM is better defensively and already has chemistry with Conley.   I am just sick of us letting guys walk that have grown here because they didn't become a "Star".       JaMyke will not be a bust if we slightly over pay him.   Tjones can possibly still be had even if we resign JaM. 

Marc still has a unique skillset. I don't think you have to give up Marc Gasol to get Jeremy Lamb in a Grizz jersey. The guy only started 5 games last season.

You utilize Marc's skillset to his ability and hope we can bring in a 3rd guy with Conley/Parsons that will boost this team's level of play. 

I felt like when we moved Pau, we tried to make him into something he wasn't. We all knew Pau wasn't good enough to be an alpha leader, yet, we surrounded him with 9 other non all-star caliber players. 

I am not disputing that offensively but JaM is better defensively and already has chemistry with Conley.   I am just sick of us letting guys walk that have grown here because they didn't become a "Star".       JaMyke will not be a bust if we slightly over pay him.   Tjones can possibly still be had even if we resign JaM. 

If  resign Green, you could let ZBo walk then sign TJones and he could take the backup PF spot. Try to use Wright to get a draft pick.

It certainly did not hurt the rockets losing howard.

Bad example. No team has ever been hurt by losing Howard. 

Marc still has a unique skillset. I don't think you have to give up Marc Gasol to get Jeremy Lamb in a Grizz jersey. The guy only started 5 games last season.

You utilize Marc's skillset to his ability and hope we can bring in a 3rd guy with Conley/Parsons that will boost this team's level of play.

I felt like when we moved Pau, we tried to make him into something he wasn't. We all knew Pau wasn't good enough to be an alpha leader, yet, we surrounded him with 9 other non all-star caliber players.

Jeremy Lamb is terrible. He is an also-ran.

You trade Marc and get back lamb we'd be the laughing stock

Okay how about D'Angelo Russell (ItIsWhatItIs suggestion) + Timofy Mozgov + 28th pick.  

Mike/Harrison/Wade

D'Angelo/Selden/Daniels

Ennis/Martin

JaM/Parsons/

Davis/Mozgov/Wright

Move on from Zbo and Tony.   Yes i have Parsons plugged in as backup PF because no way he will have athleticism to play SF anymore.  At best he can be the bench scorer to replace Zbo 's production.    Martin is place holder at SF but i think they should try to find a defensive-minded true SF otherwise Ennis gets start by default. 

Mike and D'Angelo would be the most dynamic scoring wing combo we ever had.    They can both play on and off the ball and score from anywhere on the court.    

The only trade I'm doing with the Lakers involves their lottery pick.

The only way I would trade Marc for a non-lottery pick is if we get a young wing back. A Khris Middleton-type.

Lamb isn't the answer for any question we have. 

Problem is we don't have the money to do that as long as you have soft-passive Gasol and busted Parsons taking up majority of the payroll.   One of them has to go in order to do what you are suggesting.  Nobody is trading for Chandler so by default its gotta be Marc.

It's time to stop overrating what Marc can do and actually look at what he is doing.   Reality is he doesn't want to be the player we need in order to maintain what we have or grow.  It's best to cut bait now before he losses anymore value ala Zbo and Tony.    

I don't think its being discussed enough that Gasol's defense has fallen off.  I was fine with Marc being second or third fiddle if our defense remained elite.   But if he isn't going to be an offensive force then he needs to be an elite defender and that aint happening.  The only bigs i have confidence in defensively are Davis and JaMyke. 

Lamb isn't the answer for any question we have. 

Problem is we don't have the money to do that as long as you have soft-passive Gasol and busted Parsons taking up majority of the payroll.   One of them has to go in order to do what you are suggesting.  Nobody is trading for Chandler so by default its gotta be Marc.

It's time to stop overrating what Marc can do and actually look at what he is doing.   Reality is he doesn't want to be the player we need in order to maintain what we have or grow.  It's best to cut bait now before he losses anymore value ala Zbo and Tony.    

I don't think its being discussed enough that Gasol's defense has fallen off.  I was fine with Marc being second or third fiddle if our defense remained elite.   But if he isn't going to be an offensive force then he needs to be an elite defender and that aint happening.  The only bigs i have confidence in defensively are Davis and JaMyke. 

Truth to his defense. However, I don't think anyone is overrating his skillset. He's very elite at what he does well. I think if you put him on a team like the Spurs instead of Memphis, people would be in awe at how good he is. I just think we should evaluate all options and look at what we have. 

There's a reason why Marc looked great defensively when Zbo was still dominant and he had Rudy as well. Did his defense drop off due to the increased role offensively + learning a new defensive scheme? Or did his defense drop off because he's simply not capable of defending at a high level anymore? Those are the questions that need to be answered.

If we move Marc and decide to give Deyonta the reigns to anchoring the defense, then I'm fine with that. I have no interest in bringing in a Mozgov or whoever to limit our spacing and ceiling if that's part of the plan.

Okay how about D'Angelo Russell (ItIsWhatItIs suggestion) + Timofy Mozgov + 28th pick.

Mike/Harrison/Wade

D'Angelo/Selden/Daniels

Ennis/Martin

JaM/Parsons/

Davis/Mozgov/Wright

Move on from Zbo and Tony. Yes i have Parsons plugged in as backup PF because no way he will have athleticism to play SF anymore. At best he can be the bench scorer to replace Zbo 's production. Martin is place holder at SF but i think they should try to find a defensive-minded true SF otherwise Ennis gets start by default.

Mike and D'Angelo would be the most dynamic scoring wing combo we ever had. They can both play on and off the ball and score from anywhere on the court.

We need multiple quality player and hope one of them breaks out to be a star your deals all involve a targeted break out player plus filler and a pick. Our roster is so bad that I'd rather we trade marc to properly fill holes get a pic if we can and hope one of those guys break out.

Glad to see people are finally coming to the realization that the Grizz are hamstrung by Marc Gasol. His game negates his physical strengths. He is not strong or athletic enough to really anchor the paint on both ends. I agree also that he would do really well in a system like the Spurs have. But for what the Grizz have, they need a center like Boogie Cousins.

What to do going forward? I would be on board with trying to see if they could swing a trade for a dynamic wing scorer (at least 20/gm, and no, Parsons ain't the answer) and give the center position to Davis or Wright (who ever wins in camp). Jimmy Butler would be an excellent fit, though I'm not sure Chicago would bite. As far as Z-Bo and TA, would they have enough cap space to just let them walk and get better pieces in FA? I'm not sure. Z-Bo thinks he can start, which I think he could if he wasn't relied on to score, but to rebound and clog the paint. TA needs significantly less minutes, but I'm not sure he wants to come off the bench. Perhaps he would be willing to in the right situation.

All in all, this is a disaster waiting to happen. No tradable assets (other than Marc), no draft picks, no cap space, no banners (not even close to a division title). Seems like a colossal failure of the front office to me.

Jeremy Lamb is terrible. He is an also-ran.

You trade Marc and get back lamb we'd be the laughing stock

Jeremy Lamb is 24 and not afraid to shoot he's long and has the ability to defend. He also wasn't a featured part of the offense in Charlotte and most nights came off the bench.

You try and debunk my deal by going after the one player you think is worst yet the deal included a lottery pick and two other players that could fill holes in the starting 5 and fits Fizz system perfectly. But whatever let's watch the same movie again for the 8th time and we can revisit this same convo again next April.

I think Marc could get you a big name like Paul George or even like listed above Jimmy Butler.

How he's not comparable to either talent wise and he's older.

You do have to give up Marc to get Lamb Zeller, Williams and a Lottery pick. But maybe I only thought those other 3 players and didn't type their names my bad.

People who don't watch Grizzlies daily don't get to see his major flaws and timidness

You do have to give up Marc to get Lamb Zeller, Williams and a Lottery pick. But maybe I only thought those other 3 players and didn't type their names my bad.

I'm not too fond of becoming the Memphis Hornets with Conley holding down the Kemba role. Zeller provides no sort of floor spacing at the center spot, either. The trade is largely contingent upon what Lamb and that lottery pick can become because the other two players do not intrigue me at all.

I'll rather just go get one of those guys (Lamb) without having to give up our 2nd best player in the process. Hell, I'm sure we can get that entire package minus the low end lottery pick without giving up Marc.

Jimmy Butler would be hard to get but Marc could get you Paul George.

Just like Marc is timid, Paul George isn't what he was before his injury. It would be a wash but would give you your high caliber wing player everyone wants.

No clue who the hell would be starting center though.

Wallace isnt making any major moves. No point of even bring it up

I'm not too fond of becoming the Memphis Hornets with Conley holding down the Kemba role. Zeller provides no sort of floor spacing at the center spot, either. The trade is largely contingent upon what Lamb and that lottery pick can become because the other two players do not intrigue me at all.

I'll rather just go get one of those guys (Lamb) without having to give up our 2nd best player in the process. Hell, I'm sure we can get that entire package minus the low end lottery pick without giving up Marc.

I think you are under estimating Zeller and you have to take his age into account he might not be a Marc Gasol 3point shooter at center but he has the ability to shoot from range. If you want a shooting big then Go for Kaminsky.. Either way I think the strategy of getting multiple quality players as opposed to trying to swap stars with someone is the better route.

You never know when a guy will break out and become a star in the right situation. The more quality guys you have the better chance you have at striking rich.

I know Marc is what he is and that he's aging, and has never been an elite rebound producer, but only 12 times this year with double digit rebounds? Lawdhamercy.