Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TT_Grizz

It's Time To Talk About Marc Gasol

134 posts in this topic

After his incredible 1st half in Game 1, these were Marc's stats for the rest of the series:

15.2 pts, 6.1 rebs, 3.8 asts on 43.5% FG. 

We were missing our two starting wings. We were missing our best perimeter defender. We were missing our only legit scoring wing. We had a 40-year old Vince Carter and a rookie Wayne Selden playing major minutes guarding Kawhi Leonard. We were playing a 60+ win Spurs team.

In a series where our backs were entirely against the wall from the opening tip-off, Gasol let every one of his teammates down. He was called upon when he was needed most, and he did not respond. He did not play with the aggression or assertiveness that we neededIt's not that we wanted to see this from Gasol, we needed to see it if we were any chance. Conley played like a star, ZBo done all he could, VC done a great job defending Kawhi, Ennis and Green both stepped up and hit big shots. Even the rookies, Harrison and Selden, stepped up and gave us some good stuff.

Everyone on this team stepped up. Except for Gasol. Once again, he completely shrunk in the moment and let his team down when they needed him most. One game-winning shot in game 4 does not excuse a terrible series. Nothing excuses his performance. Nothing.

Gasol is a championship-level third option. You can't rely on him to step up offensively every game but he runs this team.

Conley is the man. Straight up, no questions asked. We know that now. So now you have to find a way to get freaking second fiddle or it's going to be the same **** next year because Gasol WILL NOT step up every game. The team and front office are at fault for expecting him to even though he's proven he won't year after year.

Carmelo f'ing Anthony. Get it done.

Gasol doesn't have the fortitude to be a go to guy. 100 million dollar man did not want to take a shot in that fourth quarter. He just refused to shoot. He was petrified. Kept on swinging it to James freakin Ennis like Ennis is the one making 100 million dollars

Swinging the ball to a James Ennis caliber player in high pressure moments isn't the "right play" it's the stupid play. Gasol is a smart dumb person

No excuses for him after this series Conley may have stepped up and elevated his game but if anyone think Marc will ever be any different then you are sadly mistaken. I haven't liked Marc's excuses for not steeping since before we maxed him and nothing has changed.

He needs to go, I actually believe he is holding the team back with his play the right way attitude.

I wanted to trade him because I felt he offered the most value. Now I want him traded because I want him and his diva attitude off the team.

We need a dominate scorer. Scoring and taking over is not Marc's makeup, it just isn't. He's a wonderfully skilled player but we cannot have him as one of our 2 best players and win. Hopefully, Parsons can be traded (hey, he was on Orlando's board as a trade option) or he comes back healthy and gives us 16-18 ppg but even then, we still would not have a dominate scorer. We need one badly to let, Marc do what he does. He's like a bigger Draymond Green in the fact that he can fill up the entire stat sheet across the board. That's the type of role that best suits Marc. 

I don't care what it takes, trade Marc for a legit perimeter player than that create his own shot, and one that doesn't mind taking big shots down the stretch of big playoff games. That might be unrealistic, but I'd try like hell.

He wouldn't have even took that shot in game 4 if Fiz hadn't of called his number in the huddle.

I've defended Marc time and time again and don't get me wrong, he's a phenomenal player with a ton of skill and talent, but he's simply not a guy that can relieve scoring pressure off of Mike Conley in 4th quarters on a consistent basis. Correction: he could be that guy, he's just unwilling.

You've got Mike out there on the perimeter with guys like Seldon, Ennis, Carter, Harrison, etc. And the only other viable scoring option on the team is totally opposed to being a guy to take that pressure off.

Once again, Conley is left hanging and some will continue to bash him and talk about what he isn't, when he's got a poo poo platter of assorted crap alongside him on the wings and a gutless Marc Gasol disappearing consistently.

We have too much money tied up in Mike, Marc, and Parsons. Not surprisingly the theme of this years playoff defeat was the spurs bench has better players than our bench. Well you wanna know how to get better bench players? You need money, and since most of it is tied up which big contract can you move to get players?

Mike has stepped his game up so now he should stay Parsons is broke so you won't get quality for him. Marc is good but not willing to be great so he's the one you try and flip to make your bench better hopefully in doing that you also land a player that can help Mike better than Marc has helped him. Its time to stop praying that Marc changes his mental make up and start praying that parsons can get healthy and we get lucky in a Gasol trade.

Marc isn't going to change and he isn't going to step up like Mike did this year its time to move on and let Fizz get a group of guys that can really fit into his system cause if it wasn't obvious before it should be now Marc does his own thing

I'm going against the grain and saying that I'm not gonna blame Marc, he is what he is and some facets of his game were way improved from previous years.

Again, the BIGGEST problem we have is no wingman who is a threat.

We wasted $94mil, and our alternate solutions are PumpFake 2.0 Ennis, and a 40 year old man (admittedly he did a good job considering)

Also for someone who is supposed to take over Zbo's mantle, I've definitely decided there is NO WAY I wanna pay $15mil+ for JaMychal Green.

Time to blow up....the bench.

Mike, Marc, Harrison, Selden, Daniels, maybe Zbo, Davis

All the rest need to be cleared out.

Isn't that what Parsons is supposed to be?  Hopefully he comes back healthy next season and ready to ball out.

I don't care what it takes, trade Marc for a legit perimeter player than that create his own shot, and one that doesn't mind taking big shots down the stretch of big playoff games. That might be unrealistic, but I'd try like hell.

I'm going against the grain and saying that I'm not gonna blame Marc, he is what he is and some facets of his game were way improved from previous years.

Again, the BIGGEST problem we have is no wingman who is a threat.

We wasted $94mil, and our alternate solutions are PumpFake 2.0 Ennis, and a 40 year old man (admittedly he did a good job considering)

Also for someone who is supposed to take over Zbo's mantle, I've definitely decided there is NO WAY I wanna pay $15mil+ for JaMychal Green.

Time to blow up....the bench.

Mike, Marc, Harrison, Selden, Daniels, maybe Zbo, Davis

All the rest need to be cleared out.

I can agree with this except there is no money or draft pics to use to upgrade the bench you have to move some money. Mike has proven himself, you can't expect to get much for Chandler, so Marc is the odd man out if you can agree that he isn't going to be more than he is, and also agree that the bench needs legit players that has to be the only realistic conclusion you can come to on how you upgrade the bench.

Isn't that what Parsons is supposed to be? Hopefully he comes back healthy next season and ready to ball out.

At his best Parsons was the 3rd fiddle we need to find a guy willing to step up and be the second fiddle to Mike.

I can agree with this except there is no money or draft pics to use to upgrade the bench you have to move some money. Mike has proven himself, you can't expect to get much for Chandler, so Marc is the odd man out if you can agree that he isn't going to be more than he is, and also agree that the bench needs legit players that has to be the only realistic conclusion you can come to on how you upgrade the bench.

I think Marc to Boston could get you something good in return. Marc + filler for Horford + 1st round. Or get a 3rd team involved to go after Avery Bradley.

I think Marc to Boston could get you something good in return. Marc + filler for Horford + 1st round. Or get a 3rd team involved to go after Avery Bradley.

Horford is just like Marc except he's considerably worse, no thanks

I think Horford and Marc are a wash honestly.

I don't know if Charlotte would bite but Marc and someone for Lamb, Marvin Williams, Cody Zeller and their pick

I don't think Charlotte is that interested in more younger players and a nucleus of Kemba Batum Marc should get them into the playoffs

We'd end up with a complete starting 5

Mike

Lamb

Parsons

Williams

Zeller

We don't have to waste money on Green and we can bring Zach back Charlotte has the 11th pic so we can add a legit lottery quality guy.

Very disappointed in Marc. Soft as a marshmellow. You big money guy has to come up big. Mike Conley has proven himself. Marc has go to consistently come up big and not be a wilting flower.

marc is a great comlimentary offensive player- he's skilled and versatile and invaluable to our success- he's just not a killer on offense.  

lets not panic yet- we are still a big time respected team with a winning culture and identity.  you don't believe me just ask Pop.

honestly, If TA and CP were healthy for playoffs we may have beat spurs.

marc is a great comlimentary offensive player- he's skilled and versatile and invaluable to our success- he's just not a killer on offense.  

lets not panic yet- we are still a big time respected team with a winning culture and identity.  you don't believe me just ask Pop.

honestly, If TA and CP were healthy for playoffs we may have beat spurs.

That could be true, but a more assertive Marc Gasol would have resulted in a series win as well. Games 5 and 6 were begging for someone other than Mike Conley to step up, and unfortunately we didn't get that from one of our two best players.

All this is telling me is that we just need guys around Marc that are high level shooters/scorers. 

Do I think we get better trading Marc for players on the same level as him or worse? Nah. But, I do think we need to do what we could've done with Pau. Continue to put talent around him and let him be the player he is. There's nothing wrong with the passes Marc made if the guy spotting up with Lou Williams, Rodney Hood, Eric Gordon or some guy we should've had on our team.

Rebounding is another issue, but we've always known him to be a poor rebounder. I just think the FO needs to understand what they have in Marc and that's just how he's wired. I'm happy that Conley broke out of his shell, but we need to simply add more talent next year. Parsons being healthy will do wonders for us, but I would still like more talent out of the SG spot. 

Marc to the Lakers for Jordan Clarkson + Tarik Black + 28th pick. 

Totally disagree with ya'll on dropping JaMyke.  I would rather move on from Zbo first.   Dude had the second best +Netrtg in the series and is only 26yrs old!!    Let him grow with the team.  We have his bird rights so we can safely resign him.    He will fit Fizz system very well.

I don't know if we can blame his age but we can reasonably expect Marc Gasol is not going to improve overall this season. His defense and rebounding have been declining for the last few years and his offense isn't reliable enough to count on over any stretch of games. When he starts hot he is fantastic. When he doesn't he is not usually going to turn things around.

Perhaps Marc is the player the team needs to move on from. Get someone who is a decent perimeter shooter willing to go after rebounds. That's what is needed at center in a Fizdale type of offense from what I have seen.  

Totally disagree with ya'll on dropping JaMyke.  I would rather move on from Zbo first.   Dude had the second best +Netrtg in the series and is only 26yrs old!!    Let him grow with the team.  We have his bird rights so we can safely resign him.    He will fit Fizz system very well.

Disagree with the first part-That's a horrible trade.

Agree on the 2nd part. He was a little disappointing this series, but he routinely gets disrespected by the fans because he started over Zach.

Will all depend on the price tag for me. I'm vehemently opposed to overpaying to keep him.

All this is telling me is that we just need guys around Marc that are high level shooters/scorers.

Do I think we get better trading Marc for players on the same level as him or worse? Nah. But, I do think we need to do what we could've done with Pau. Continue to put talent around him and let him be the player he is. There's nothing wrong with the passes Marc made if the guy spotting up with Lou Williams, Rodney Hood, Eric Gordon or some guy we should've had on our team.

Rebounding is another issue, but we've always known him to be a poor rebounder. I just think the FO needs to understand what they have in Marc and that's just how he's wired. I'm happy that Conley broke out of his shell, but we need to simply add more talent next year. Parsons being healthy will do wonders for us, but I would still like more talent out of the SG spot.

How do you expect them to do that with no money or pics? That's easy to say if you have an avenue to purse that option but we don't so why not move Marc for the opportunity to get a player that might also elevate his game like Conley has. Seems like a much easier route to take