Sign in to follow this  
GF#1

The Top Five Mistakes This Franchise Has Made

lions    0

Big country was 300 POUNDS before the gizzlies sign him to that contract the weight was the main reason his back gave out

lions    0

trading rudy gay speaks for it self the grizzlies have been having major problem filling the 3 

lions    0

hensley country club boys talk him into taking thabrust

lions    0

chandler parson knee problem before that sign him he will NEVER play a full season in the n.b.a 

lions    0

memphis it will be hard to leave the best fit for the grizzlies i feel would be seattle 

lions    0

michael dickerson retires because he had HAMSTRING AND GROIN problem, how many player can you tell me RETIRE because of hamstring and groin problems who play basketball.

GoGrizz!    0

1. Moving the Grizzlies to the FedEx Forum. There's nothing wrong with the Pyramind, it was friendly to the interstate where many visitors would drive by saying "hey! that's where the Grizzlies play." The Pyramid would've been the most unique arena in the NBA, hands down! And we wasted it and turned it into a bass pro shop 12-15 years later.

2. Trading O.J. for Kevin Love. A stretch 4 that can shoot the 3 ball well and get double doubles day in and day out? Are you kidding me!!!!!

3. It's our draft. 2009 was crazy and absurd, but if we had solid draft classes that can produce for the Grizzlies, the majority of our fans will give the front office a bye for drafting Thabeet. We never give our young players a chance. I feel sorry for Deytona Davis because he is going from Memphis to Iowa constantly, leave him somewhere. Sam Young, Tony Wroten, Jarrell Martin.....Wade Baldwin in 2019?

4. Hiring Chris Wallace

Biggest mistake has to be local owners not buying the team from heisley at the price they thought was too high at that time.   I'm pretty sure the "value" of the team is far higher than that now.

It would have made the franchise more stable and maybe have a more visible owner.  I'm still worried the grizz could be leaving in the near future.

So no one thinks this was a big mistake?  I wanna say heisley wanted like 260-280 million from local buyers.  Ended up selling it for approximately 350 million.  The team in now valued at 780 million.

None of you worry the team could leave in the near future?

Teddy.B    0

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/memphis-grizzlies-chris-wallace-isn-t-good-at-drafting-011017

Wallace gets a pass on the Heisley years, but even then only for the OJ - Love swap and Thabeet. Heisley never bothered with the later picks so from 2008 to 2012 ( 2007 Conley was NOT a Wallace pick) then 2014 to 2016 (Levien picked 2013) Wallace has had over 10 picks and again NOT ONE is a rotational player in Memphis. 

This is the guy that gets an extension in Memphis. This owner has to take responsibility for the very average team that this team is going to be the next five years. 

Dwash    0

Well then you can say that about anyone the Grizzlies passed in the draft.

About any position except point guard. The Grizzly offense is setup to work the stew out of one of them.

TimBC    0

michael dickerson retires because he had HAMSTRING AND GROIN problem, how many player can you tell me RETIRE because of hamstring and groin problems who play basketball.

Would you rather have a guy who can't play anymore because of injuries come to your team on a $94 million four-year contract.

I watched the Grizzlies. Dickerson was barely able to run.

lions    0

chris wallace, i feel chris has done a very good job for the grizzlies. i believe this will be the grizzlies 7 year in a roll making the play-off that a great job for a G.M who works in a small market in to days pro sports

lions    0

its very hard to hit a home runs on every move.look at it this way chris wallace has many hits .to bring the grizzlies 7 years in a row to the plays-off .look at he L.A FAKERS

lions    0

Would you rather have a guy who can't play anymore because of injuries come to your team on a $94 million four-year contract.

I watched the Grizzlies. Dickerson was barely able to run.

Chandler parson was on my list

guillermo    0

chris wallace, i feel chris has done a very good job for the grizzlies. i believe this will be the grizzlies 7 year in a roll making the play-off that a great job for a G.M who works in a small market in to days pro sports

lol at CW being responsible for the 7 year run in playoffs

luckiest gm ever

Ethan7    0

#1. Drafting Thabeet. 

#2. Drafting Adams when Hood seemed like the obvious pick.

#3. The Leuer trade/Rudy trade. Never saw that team fully healthy in the playoffs and we got nothing of value in either trade.

#4. Trading Dante Cunningham, the guy was all heart and a great role player for us.

#5. Parsons contract or releasing Troy Williams - too early to tell. 

Edit: Can't forget about the train wreck that Iavaroni was. 

chipc3    0

There was something mentioned in another thread that trading Rudy Gay was the worst mistake made in the history of the franchise, and MemphisX stepped in and said it's not even in the top 5.

That got me to wondering what the board as a whole thinks are the top 3-5 (or more with this franchise :lol: ) mistakes made over the years.

And go.

1) Drafting Hasheem Thabeet

2) Trading Kevin Love

3) Trading Kyle Lowry

4) Hassan Whiteside release

5) Sellig team to Laettner and Davis

Honorable mentions: drafting Jordan Adams over Draymond Green or Rodney Hood, trading Rudy Gay, firing Jason Levien, Bryant Reeves contract, drafting Steve Francis, Michael Dickerson contract, Mike Conley contract, Chandler Parsons contract

Wells    0

Was doing some research about Kawhi Leonard and decided upon another big mistake: not doing whatever they could to get a first round pick in the 2011 draft. All the Grizzlies had was the second round pick that they used to get Josh Selby. The first round was loaded with players.

Allen    0

I get so tired of people giving Wallace credit for forming the core 4.The core 4 was pure luck and was basically just Wallace throwing things at a wall and seeing what sticks. It wasnt a skilled gm building a team

TimBC    0

Is anyone here also on another team's board?  I'd like to know what another team's fans think its top 5 mistakes were. 

Bet they're comparable for most teams (except the Spurs who seem to be right every time)

Was doing some research about Kawhi Leonard and decided upon another big mistake: not doing whatever they could to get a first round pick in the 2011 draft. All the Grizzlies had was the second round pick that they used to get Josh Selby. The first round was loaded with players.

The Grizzlies actually traded mayo for mcroberts and Indiana's 1st Rd pick in 2011, but didn't finalize the trade in time. Indiana then traded the pick few months later to the Spurs for George hill. Spurs took Leonard with the pick

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=6155170

chipc3    0

I get so tired of people giving Wallace credit for forming the core 4.The core 4 was pure luck and was basically just Wallace throwing things at a wall and seeing what sticks. It wasnt a skilled gm building a team

That's unfair. I can understand saying Conley wasn't a Wallace pick, Z-Bo was a Heisley deal and even that Tony only came to Memphis because of his friendship with a Tiger Assistant but the reality is Wallace the GM for each of those moves. It was no more lucky that GS drafting Curry and Green was luck.

Dwash    0

That's unfair. I can understand saying Conley wasn't a Wallace pick, Z-Bo was a Heisley deal and even that Tony only came to Memphis because of his friendship with a Tiger Assistant but the reality is Wallace the GM for each of those moves. It was no more lucky that GS drafting Curry and Green was luck.

Yeah but at least they picked them with a plan. Wallace was trying to build an offensive team and it just happened to become a defensive juggernaut.

Teddy.B    0

If you want to credit him for those moves just because of his title as GM, then you have to slam him for the Thabeet pick and ALL the failed drafts as well. Can't cherry pick what are his moves and what ain't.