Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobblybook1

Options For Parsons Injury?

61 posts in this topic

great option that i would love to see do a buy-out and have c.parson retire

we need that 3rd point guard more than another small forward- especially a below average SF 

we need that 3rd point guard more than another small forward- especially a below average SF 

we need a small forward who can score and rebound--- rudy gay

we need a small forward who can score and rebound--- rudy gay

Rudy with a ruptured achilles injury earlier this year. For a player that makes a living off his athleticism, that is kinda a nail in the coffin.

If someone else get Casspi, I would like to see the Grizzlies go after Troy Williams again if Houston doesn't keep him. I think you can run with Harrison as backup PG the rest of the year and just deal with the results.

Rudy with a ruptured achilles injury earlier this year. For a player that makes a living off his athleticism, that is kinda a nail in the coffin.

If someone else get Casspi, I would like to see the Grizzlies go after Troy Williams again if Houston doesn't keep him. I think you can run with Harrison as backup PG the rest of the year and just deal with the results.

i know rudy has a archilles injury , i,m saying the grizzlies have had a big problem a the 3 and they thought rudy would be replace easy

Im down with a euro addition. It would add some playmaking and length on offense. Not for sure on his defense tho B) 

What's Brian Cardinal doing these days?

Living off that Grizz money!

i know rudy has a archilles injury , i,m saying the grizzlies have had a big problem a the 3 and they thought rudy would be replace easy

I think a lot of fans took Rudy for granted. Imagine the complaints you use to hear about him from a production standpoint. We would love to get that production out of one of our wings right now and over the last 3 seasons. 

He had his shortcomings, but I would take 18 and 6, an above average PER and decent outside shooting any day. Eventually, I'm sure he would've adjusted his game to cater more to Conley/Gasol.

Even if Parsons eventually gets right, there will be this unrealistic expectation out of him just like it was with Rudy. If fans thought the deal Rudy got was bad on 18 and 6, imagine what they will think when Parsons put up 16, 6 and 4 on good efficiency at $94M? Parsons is in a lose/lose situation here because fans will constantly have these unrealistic expectations out of him because of his contract. 

I think a lot of fans took Rudy for granted. Imagine the complaints you use to hear about him from a production standpoint. We would love to get that production out of one of our wings right now and over the last 3 seasons.

He had his shortcomings, but I would take 18 and 6, an above average PER and decent outside shooting any day. Eventually, I'm sure he would've adjusted his game to cater more to Conley/Gasol.

Even if Parsons eventually gets right, there will be this unrealistic expectation out of him just like it was with Rudy. If fans thought the deal Rudy got was bad on 18 and 6, imagine what they will think when Parsons put up 16, 6 and 4 on good efficiency at $94M? Parsons is in a lose/lose situation here because fans will constantly have these unrealistic expectations out of him because of his contract.

Nah, sorry. Let's not re-write history. Rudy was way over paid (because the current GM/former owner messed up) and his contract was not sustainable and at the time Mike Conley wasn't an adjust around level player. It was Rudy or ZBo. And to this point there hasn't been a single season in which Rudy was more valuable than ZBo.

Did the organization screw up? Yes. If handled correctly, there would not have been a reason to break up the REAL core 4. However, the team has been managed poorly.

Nah, sorry. Let's not re-write history. Rudy was way over paid (because the current GM/former owner messed up) and his contract was not sustainable and at the time Mike Conley wasn't an adjust around level player. It was Rudy or ZBo. And to this point there hasn't been a single season in which Rudy was more valuable than ZBo.

Did the organization screw up? Yes. If handled correctly, there would not have been a reason to break up the REAL core 4. However, the team has been managed poorly.

I can see the logic in that statement.    Truthfully, if Organization could have developed either Jamaal Franklin, Jordan Adams, or Tony Wroten into a legit player then no one would be missing Rudy.  

We all have to keep in mind that all we wanted was another dynamic perimeter player, period.   All of those rookies had the skillset and talent to become just that.  Unfortunately, they were drafted by a team that didn't have the requisite patience to develop them.

Let's also not forget the main reason why most of our wings haven't worked out is because we start a SG that cannot shoot.   It was always too difficult to find a SF that can compliment Zbo, Tony, and Mike.   

This is all I'm saying.

With the right coaching change, the increasing meaning behind making Conley/Gasol the main guys and adding the correct pieces around those core 4 players could have worked IMO. Its amazing to me how we jumped the gun on moving him around that time, but are refraining from doing the same thing with this current group. 

I was always a fan of utilizing Zbo off the bench, having a better defensive minded 4 start and balancing at the 2 guard spot (Courtney Lee). Eventually, we traded Bayless (who we had during Rudy's tenure here) for Courtney Lee. 

But, its old news. Something that will always make me wonder. I just think its funny/sad how the FO is steadily looking for that SF replacement and how harsh fans have been on those replacements. Neither of those replacements have been able to outperform Rudy regardless of his shortcomings thus far.

Now, you hear some echoing about how Harrison Barnes would've been a better fit here over Parsons, but the reality is that he's basically a younger Rudy Gay on a bad team. Average ball handling is mediocre, primarily plays 15 feet in, not necessarily the most efficient but decent, average to slightly below average defender based on the numbers.

This is all I'm saying.

With the right coaching change, the increasing meaning behind making Conley/Gasol the main guys and adding the correct pieces around those core 4 players could have worked IMO. Its amazing to me how we jumped the gun on moving him around that time, but are refraining from doing the same thing with this current group. 

I was always a fan of utilizing Zbo off the bench, having a better defensive minded 4 start and balancing at the 2 guard spot (Courtney Lee). Eventually, we traded Bayless (who we had during Rudy's tenure here) for Courtney Lee. 

But, its old news. Something that will always make me wonder. I just think its funny/sad how the FO is steadily looking for that SF replacement and how harsh fans have been on those replacements. Neither of those replacements have been able to outperform Rudy regardless of his shortcomings thus far.

Now, you hear some echoing about how Harrison Barnes would've been a better fit here over Parsons, but the reality is that he's basically a younger Rudy Gay on a bad team. Average ball handling is mediocre, primarily plays 15 feet in, not necessarily the most efficient but decent, average to slightly below average defender based on the numbers.

Barnes can be a knockdown shooter and gets his shot off quickly from the corner, so he may have fit in better. 

Barnes can be a knockdown shooter and gets his shot off quickly from the corner, so he may have fit in better. 

Plus he actually gives effort on defense which was the main problem with Rudy.   Not to mention the pecking order was already in place with Conley and Gasol being the Max paid cornerstones.   

Barnes would have been an opportunity to show how Rudy should have been utilized.    Although his offensive game is similar to prime Rudy - his time with GSW has forced him to adapt more to the modern NBA.   

Barnes on the wing means that Tony isn't nearly as necessary.   So now if we still want someone to share duties with Mike then just start a combo-guard with him.   IE: develop Harrison or Baldwin as a combo guard.

Mike + Harrison + Barnes + JaMyke + Gasol (zbo and vince off the bench)  is the type of team that can go toe to toe with pretty much everyone in the West. 

Love affair with Tony Allen is why you sign a Chandler Parsons because you need a versatile offensive player to counter him.   I was always a fan of going acquiring Barnes as the Rudy successor.   

The Parsons gamble was too risky even with the skillset he brings knowing he wasn't healthy.   Barnes would've been just as high profile of a signing. 

hindsight is 20/20 tho

Without being privy to Parsons medicals, hard to call from outside. Pretty ballsy signing with both Mike and Marc coming off injuries though.

Not saying it was a good or bad SIGNING. However, it has turned out so bad that whoever is responsible should be fired.

It was a desperation move to keep the core 4 competive for a couple more years but it back fired horribly

a smart grizzlies fan

Parsons is in a lose/lose situation here because fans will constantly have these unrealistic expectations out of him because of his contract. 

Best hope is that 18 months from now a $94 million contract will be normal for a solid starter.  

We all accepted that Conley's contract will be caught and passed by many before it runs out.  

The fans just didn't want Rudy stealing the spotlight from Z-Bo.

Trading Rudy was the biggest mistake the FO has ever made.

I think one of the biggest mistakes was not giving Rudy the 60 million contract when he asked for it. I believe it was an extension at the time but we declined. Instead we waited and gave him much much more.

I wasn't against trading him because he had vision issues and was terrible that final year in Memphis and the couple seasons after that. He was just like Jeff Green by putting up empty stats. He finally came around to playing within himself the past couple of seasons.

Had Rudy kept up the focus he had from the olympic team and not pouting about not becoming an All Star, then he would have meant much more to the Grizzlies and would probably still be here.

The fans just didn't want Rudy stealing the spotlight from Z-Bo.

Trading Rudy was the biggest mistake the FO has ever made.

Biggest?

Not even top 5.

I think one of the biggest mistakes was not giving Rudy the 60 million contract when he asked for it. I believe it was an extension at the time but we declined. Instead we waited and gave him much much more.

Rudy was wanting $65 million, the money LaMarcus Aldridge got.

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=4618764

http://upperdeckblog.com/2009/11/grizzlies-dont-think-rudy-gay-is-worth-the-money/

http://www.memphisflyer.com/BeyondtheArc/archives/2009/10/22/season-preview-why-cant-rudy-gay-be-danny-granger

Plus he actually gives effort on defense which was the main problem with Rudy.   Not to mention the pecking order was already in place with Conley and Gasol being the Max paid cornerstones.   

Barnes would have been an opportunity to show how Rudy should have been utilized.    Although his offensive game is similar to prime Rudy - his time with GSW has forced him to adapt more to the modern NBA.   

If I'm not mistaken, Rudy Gay was a good 3 point shooter from the corner as well. The reality is that Barnes isn't a great shooter, but had two good seasons getting wide open looks at Golden State. Even then, he was Courtney Lee like and not taking many 3's to justify being a high level outside shooter. He's still not taking many 3's as a #1 option in Dallas. 

I just don't think there is a big difference between the two players. We see Harrison Barnes in a top 2 option role on a bad team and he turns into prime Rudy Gay pretty much. Surround him on a team like Golden State and he becomes a shooter. 

Whether or not Barnes gives effort on defense, his defensive numbers were no different than Rudy's. Rudy was a net positive defender for most of his career, although he didn't give the effort every night. 

So, I will remain with the same comments. Going after Barnes would've just been the FO looking for that Rudy replacement who they probably felt they should've kept around.

I would've been okay with Barnes just like I was okay with having Rudy. I think fans just gave Rudy a hard time because he wasn't Zbo or TA, the same reason why they give Conley a hard time til this day. Sure, he lacked the effort at times, but he still had good production for his position. Basically what Harrison Barnes is now for $94M. 

Fans here just don't like the lackadaisical approach. It wasn't until Conley broke his face and played in the playoffs that fans actually started to celebrate Conley as a player. Fans here loved Vasquez because of his swagger and he "looked" like he played tough defense. However, he was a poor defender and couldn't shoot. 

Take Nick Calathes he was just as good of a playmaker as Vasquez and a much better defender, but he had no swagger. Fans didn't like him because they said he couldn't shoot and made too many mistakes.

I know I'm not the only one that sees this trend.