Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

Parsons Has A Partial Meniscus Tear, Likely Done For Season

fanboyslim    0

To be honest, the FO will always have to take risks when hiring FAs because of the hiring disadvantage Memphis has:

- Taking a flyer on good players with injury risks

- Overpaying midding talents and hoping for a breakout

- Hiring older players and hoping on extending their useful years.

In that regard I'm not going to be overly hard on the FO especifically for hiring Parsons (the FO problems go beyond this one decision). It was really him, Barnes (case 2 in that list) or standing pat, all options with significant risks.

Thomas    0

Yeah I think signing Parsons was well worth the risk. The real issue here is the disgusting mismanagement of his injury, something that is incessant with this front office, and forcing him to play when everyone knew he wasn't ready. They just keep getting it wrong, it is killing us, and no one is held accountable.

cdp    0

The real question'll be if he can get away without surgery. If he doesn't need it then he could be back by training camp but if he does....

fanboyslim    0

The real question'll be if he can get away without surgery. If he doesn't need it then he could be back by training camp but if he does....

Surgery now for a partial tear should have him ready for training camp. The key thing is not delaying the decision.

I can't imagine this is "fake".

At the same time, how can this not have been seen as a risk of playing him right now, if this is the result?  We have got to have the crappiest medical staff in the league.  Many of us could look at Parsons and tell that no matter what he said, what the staff said, he wasn't right.  Some of it sounded mental, but I guess that has been disproved now. 

Well - regardless of how it happened, this is probably a blessing in disguise for the Grizzlies.  We were in a groove until Parsons was reintroduced into the lineup - after that it seems like we lost our brains, our mojo, whatever.  Maybe now we can get it back.

I am STILL ok with this signing, because it was about more than just Chandler Parsons.  It was a calculated risk.  The Grizzlies knew it.  We all knew it.  And risks don't always pay off.  But we have now seen that this team can play well without him.  The Grizzlies should be able to get back to business now.  And if Parsons never gets back to form, he will one day be a huge fat expiring, when that will mean something again.

What is unfortunate is that it is now evident that maybe we didn't have to swing for the fences with a signing this past offseason.  Hindsight has never been more 20/20 than this.  If this year was a transitional year, it is now apparent that we were a playoff team, even without Parsons.  But there would have been no way of knowing that going in, which is why a Parsons seemed necessary.  Not to mention how hard of a sell this team would have been without a splashy signing this year.

SC Grizz    0

Sadly this news will only help our team. Addition by subtraction. Everyone else needs to step up and will likely have a more well-defined role.

Sucks for Parsons as a person. Agree that this was horrible management of him as a player and his playing time.

Jordan Adams or maybe more accurately Michael Dickerson 2.0.

Sadly this news will only help our team. Addition by subtraction. Everyone else needs to step up and will likely have a more well-defined role.

Sucks for Parsons as a person. Agree that this was horrible management of him as a player and his playing time.

Jordan Adams or maybe more accurately Michael Dickerson 2.0.

You went where I didn't want to.

GF#1    0

Not saying that it is necessarily fake, but I think it's a convenient way to sell the public on the realization that Parsons simply isn't going to get right in time for the Grizzlies to make a playoff run.

I think there was a very honest discussion among Parsons, Fizdale, Wallace, and whoever else, and they collectivey decided that shutting him down was likely the best thing for the team this season, and obviously for the franchise moving forward.

I don't doubt that Parsons is hurting/sore. But I'm not quite buying into the "tear". I could be way off base on that, but just my gut.

trayhezy    0

I have no problem with the signing....right now.

I have a problem with the coach and organization forcing him out there after it was obvious to the average fan that Parsons wasn't right.

He may never again be right, but that is a risk that you take.

GoGrizz!    0

Personally, I hate it for Parsons. He's been injury prone and will continue to get hatred by our fans and Dallas' fans. Our fans will continue to gripe and complain wanting to trade him (even though we can't) However, I wish he could live a normal lifestyle. I don't know if its because he is a 'professional' ball player and making millions of dollars by the organization and in endorsements, but get a girlfriend, be a professional ball player, have fun and know your limits. The only bad thing is that it is personal life and I have to respect that. 

It was clear that him getting in "basketball shape" was not cutting the pie. I'm assuming he is just going to be shut down rather than have a season-ending surgery. But who knows.

However, if anyone is going to use the Parsons injury as a scapegoat towards the failure of our season, that is uncalled for and that's not fair for Chandler himself. He tried to get on the basketball court and produce, did it work? Not really.  

I hope he gets better and if I'm the Grizzlies, he is not returning on the court unless he is 100%, hopefully he can get some minutes in Southaven before returning to the Grizzlies and play in the association, just like the MLB players do with the DL and minor-leagues and all that stuff.

The front office should be 100% embarrassed in themselves. 

Didn't spend the money then I thought Conley would've left.

no we could have filled he roster with more than just Parsons for that money. Especially with the career averages he has.

You still could have cap room going into this coming season where we could have made some huge moves with plenty of players to pick from

Paul mill sap, Gordon Hayward, Danilo, jeff Teague, JJ Red, Greg monroe, Taj gibson, George hill, Shaun Livingston, Jrue Holiday, etc.

It's managing wisely. I don't care what anyone says about this being a small market. You overpaid Chandler. You can do the same to someone without an injury history.

I was all for not spending the money this past season. I was for signing a couple of guys for fair contracts leaving room for a big move this coming offseason knowing we wouldn't have draft picks to help us out.

Chandler should have never been a target.

Teddy.B    0

no we could have filled he roster with more than just Parsons for that money. Especially with the career averages he has.

You still could have cap room going into this coming season where we could have made some huge moves with plenty of players to pick from

Paul mill sap, Gordon Hayward, Danilo, jeff Teague, JJ Red, Greg monroe, Taj gibson, George hill, Shaun Livingston, Jrue Holiday, etc.

It's managing wisely. I don't care what anyone says about this being a small market. You overpaid Chandler. You can do the same to someone without an injury history.

I was all for not spending the money this past season. I was for signing a couple of guys for fair contracts leaving room for a big move this coming offseason knowing we wouldn't have draft picks to help us out.

Mic Drop

Doesn't like Chandler Parsons as a FA target because he's injury prone; but instead lists Danilo Galinari and Jrue Holiday.

4 of those guys you listed have significant injury history, and if signed, you probably would have stayed silent...until they were injured, then you would complain about not saving more cap space for the following year.

Just because you can list free agents, doesn't mean they have any interest in signing them without overpaying them.

I would like to hear why you think Gordon Hayward would choose Memphis over Utah or Boston.

Then I'd love to hear the George Hill reason instead of Spurs or Utah.

Greg Monroe.....perfect for when the Grizzlies match up with the Pelicans.....and no other team.

scooter    0

Apparently you've never heard of the 76ers or Kings or you just want to add fuel to the negativity fire. 

I said arguably.   Apparently, you have reading comprehension problems.

lions    0

like i said many posts in the past the signing of chandler parson will send the grizzlies back 5 years..chris wallace needs to be fired for this very bad move  he,knew chandler parson was coming off  two or three knee set back 

lions    0

grizzlies nation can.t blame c.parson any more this year

srmjr23    0

Fire Chris Wallace and Hollinger.. Also Grizz Medical Staff should have seen this coming. This just validates that the Grizz F.O is arguably the worst in the NBA.

Traded for Marc Gasol, traded for ZBo, drafted Mike Conley, made it to the Western Conference Playoffs. Hmm, perspective is interesting isn't it? Arguably worst franchise...give me a break.

The REF    0

Somebody should be held accountable and I'm putting this nicely!!!

(This has been removed)

Edited by New_Sacred_Cow

Dwash    0

Doesn't like Chandler Parsons as a FA target because he's injury prone; but instead lists Danilo Galinari and Jrue Holiday.

4 of those guys you listed have significant injury history, and if signed, you probably would have stayed silent...until they were injured, then you would complain about not saving more cap space for the following year.

Just because you can list free agents, doesn't mean they have any interest in signing them without overpaying them.

I would like to hear why you think Gordon Hayward would choose Memphis over Utah or Boston.

Then I'd love to hear the George Hill reason instead of Spurs or Utah.

Greg Monroe.....perfect for when the Grizzlies match up with the Pelicans.....and no other team.

I think you are missing that while Holiday and Gallinari have injury history, Chandler was actually hurt when signed.