Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

Take A Sobering Look At This Roster

The grizzlies have 4 players with less than 2 years in league and are 22,22,20,20 in age. That leaves 11 players. Of the 11 players, only Mike, Marc and Zach are averaging double digits in points.

Of the vets we have: Tony (35), Vince (40), Ennis, Jam. Green, Wright and Daniels, Douglas, all but one have major downsides.

tony (age), vince (age), Ennis (journeyman), Wright (injured significant amount of time), Daniels (can't defend anybody), Douglas (journeyman).

Only Jam Green has the makings of a starter and he hasn't progressed as much as we would like him to.

The grizzlies still have not solved the backup point guard spot or the Mike-needs-a-sidekick spot. Of course we are hoping that Baldwin and Harrison will be able to take on those roles, as soon as next year.

The biggest problem with the strategy the grizzlies employed when they signed a max deal with Chandler Parsons, isn't that he'd need years to rehab, but the fact that they didn't see how extremely thin they were making their depth.

Getting younger just made this even more apparent that the grizzlies were having to have an unbalanced roster.

I don't want to be the guy that said I told you so, but it was always my belief that the grizzlies should go for depth in free agency. I was asking for Lin a lot but I really wanted the grizzlies to get a rebounder and a sidekick.

Parsons (because of his contract) basically put a strain on our depth, which is a lot of the reasons that we are in this mess. And i'm not sure we can get out of it, but the grizzlies NEED to shore up the sickkick once and for all, by getting Rubio. 

Dwash    0

I thought "you told us" that this was a championship contender that would easily win over 50 games and close to 60. Now its "you told us" they didn't have enough depth.

I thought "you told us" that this was a championship contender that would easily win over 50 games and close to 60. Now its "you told us" they didn't have enough depth.

I said that when kd went to the warriors that the grizzlies were quite possibly the second best team in the west. I still believe that the grizzlies can beat any team in the league in a series not named the warriors, as long as they stick to their defensive principles. I am just pointing out that the grizzlies have a lopsided roster, and also my vote that the grizzlies were the second best team was more about my lack of faith in all the other teams in the west, and I did not account for (at least on the court, I did say that the grizzlies were better off with depth) parsons huge ripple affect on team chemistry.

Exactly, KBM was going around calling everyone names who didn't agree with them and how they didn't know basketball if they didn't agree that the team would win 60 games.

Exactly, KBM was going around calling everyone names who didn't agree with them and how they didn't know basketball if they didn't agree that the team would win 60 games.

Show me were I would say the grizzlies would win 60 games. Please. I'm waiting.

This is a thread topic i can get behind.  

If the idea was to transition away from CORE4 then Wallace failed miserably with the construction of this roster.  No coach would succeed under these present conditions

• mandate to rehab an injured player during games
  • develop young players while trying to appease veterans 
  • develop a new culture and integrate pioneers of the old era into a new style 
  • transform offense while not having roster to support transformation

That's an insane amount to be asked of rookie head coach.  Everyone knew that we needed a legit backup PG and an additional wing player.   After watching Hollins and Joerger crash and burn trying to change the play style of these CORE guys WHY ON EARTH would you expect a rookie head coach to be able to do it without negative repercussion or downfall?

Wilson Chandler, Shabazz Muhummad, Sean Kilpatrick, or even Nick Young are all guys that would've been significant upgrades over Tony Allen going forward.    Moving him would have been the easiest decision to make because what he provides (solid defense and bad offense) can be replaced.   

See the problem with guys like Ennis and JaM is that they are dependent on other guys to setup their offense.    They are best deployed as low usage offensively, versatile defenders  role players.    They cannot be counted on as your 3rd best offensive option, truthfully having them as 4th is a stretch.   Healthy Parsons makes Ennis and JaM as starters look much better.   To be fair JaMyke has already proven himself a viable starter so my breakdown is really about our wings.  

Ideally, it would have been nice to continue bringing along a rookie or two this season for development purposes.  However, due to the Parsons Initiative it makes it too difficult to be willing to take the lumps.   A healthy Parsons gives Fizdale the freedom to develop a Troy Williams or a Andrew Harrison.   Right now, no way he can afford to play those type of guys when you are already starting the worst starter statistically in the league. 

The poor roster construction hurts the development of rookies for this year.  The Parsons situation is also why we are experiencing this chaos.   Unfortunately, if Parsons was able to play earlier which would have allowed FO to see how bad he is.  Then maybe they would've made a move to address the wing or backup PG more aggressively. 

Show me were I would say the grizzlies would win 60 games. Please. I'm waiting.

You can keep waiting cause I'm not wasting my time. Once again, you were going back and forth with people (as always) and saying that if anyone thought this team was a .500 team then they don't know anything about basketball and how this will be one of the top teams in the league. Way too much material to search with all of your back and forths and opinions that you change a few days later.

You can keep waiting cause I'm not wasting my time. Once again, you were going back and forth with people (as always) and saying that if anyone thought this team was a .500 team then they don't know anything about basketball and how this will be one of the top teams in the league. Way too much material to search with all of your back and forths and opinions that you change a few days later.

I could go overboard myself and tell you that the people I was arguing with didn't even think the Grizzlies would make the playoffs but I'm sure you disagree with me on that too

TimBC    0

Don't let KBM make every thread be about him. It's just what he wants.

Just disagree and move on.

I could go overboard myself and tell you that the people I was arguing with didn't even think the Grizzlies would make the playoffs but I'm sure you disagree with me on that too

Not really. I'll believe you. I just know that I mentioned 42-45 wins for this season and you mentioned something like that to me. I don't discount that the majority of people you were disagreeing with were saying this team would miss the playoffs. This board leans very negative.

Dwash    0

I thought they would be around a 45 win team myself like ODK.  But even those that predicted missing the playoffs aren't going around making "I told you so" posts either when they were dead wrong.  The fact is the team is closer to missing the playoffs than they are to winning the division (your call...it was so outrageous that I couldn't help but remember this prediction).. 

So don't expect us to all hop on board and agree with you when you say stuff like "I knew they should have gone for more depth."  Newsflash, these same people already knew the roster wasn't that good and had major holes.  That's the point.

2nd best team in the west???

A couple days ago, kbm said " Gasol and Mike are both perfectly situated to have about a 4 year window to the title".

He also said the team needed players like mike and marc plus a superstar when responding to "what's wrong with the grizz".

Now a sober look at the roster?

Kbm, are you bipolar?

Allen    0

Kevin this roster is essentially the same one you said was the 2nd best team in thee West

2nd best team in the west???

A couple days ago, kbm said " Gasol and Mike are both perfectly situated to have about a 4 year window to the title".

He also said the team needed players like mike and marc plus a superstar when responding to "what's wrong with the grizz".

Now a sober look at the roster?

Kbm, are you bipolar?

hqdefault.jpg

Look, you guys all know that KBM is the Kellyanne Conway of the Grizz Board replete with alternative facts and tales of microwaves taking pictures. Take it easy on him. 

Allen    0

I think he legitimately has trouble keeping up with the things he says

The grizzlies have 4 players with less than 2 years in league and are 22,22,20,20 in age. That leaves 11 players. Of the 11 players, only Mike, Marc and Zach are averaging double digits in points.

Of the vets we have: Tony (35), Vince (40), Ennis, Jam. Green, Wright and Daniels, Douglas, all but one have major downsides.

tony (age), vince (age), Ennis (journeyman), Wright (injured significant amount of time), Daniels (can't defend anybody), Douglas (journeyman).

Only Jam Green has the makings of a starter and he hasn't progressed as much as we would like him to.

The grizzlies still have not solved the backup point guard spot or the Mike-needs-a-sidekick spot. Of course we are hoping that Baldwin and Harrison will be able to take on those roles, as soon as next year.

The biggest problem with the strategy the grizzlies employed when they signed a max deal with Chandler Parsons, isn't that he'd need years to rehab, but the fact that they didn't see how extremely thin they were making their depth.

Getting younger just made this even more apparent that the grizzlies were having to have an unbalanced roster.

I don't want to be the guy that said I told you so, but it was always my belief that the grizzlies should go for depth in free agency. I was asking for Lin a lot but I really wanted the grizzlies to get a rebounder and a sidekick.

Parsons (because of his contract) basically put a strain on our depth, which is a lot of the reasons that we are in this mess. And i'm not sure we can get out of it, but the grizzlies NEED to shore up the sickkick once and for all, by getting Rubio.

I don't wanna be the guy, YEAH I DO, who reminds you that you said the Grizz had the 2nd best team in the west.

This is a thread topic i can get behind.  

If the idea was to transition away from CORE4 then Wallace failed miserably with the construction of this roster.  No coach would succeed under these present conditions

• mandate to rehab an injured player during games
  • develop young players while trying to appease veterans 
  • develop a new culture and integrate pioneers of the old era into a new style 
  • transform offense while not having roster to support transformation
That's an insane amount to be asked of rookie head coach.  Everyone knew that we needed a legit backup PG and an additional wing player.   After watching Hollins and Joerger crash and burn trying to change the play style of these CORE guys WHY ON EARTH would you expect a rookie head coach to be able to do it without negative repercussion or downfall?

Wilson Chandler, Shabazz Muhummad, Sean Kilpatrick, or even Nick Young are all guys that would've been significant upgrades over Tony Allen going forward.    Moving him would have been the easiest decision to make because what he provides (solid defense and bad offense) can be replaced.   

See the problem with guys like Ennis and JaM is that they are dependent on other guys to setup their offense.    They are best deployed as low usage offensively, versatile defenders  role players.    They cannot be counted on as your 3rd best offensive option, truthfully having them as 4th is a stretch.   Healthy Parsons makes Ennis and JaM as starters look much better.   To be fair JaMyke has already proven himself a viable starter so my breakdown is really about our wings.  

Ideally, it would have been nice to continue bringing along a rookie or two this season for development purposes.  However, due to the Parsons Initiative it makes it too difficult to be willing to take the lumps.   A healthy Parsons gives Fizdale the freedom to develop a Troy Williams or a Andrew Harrison.   Right now, no way he can afford to play those type of guys when you are already starting the worst starter statistically in the league. 

The poor roster construction hurts the development of rookies for this year.  The Parsons situation is also why we are experiencing this chaos.   Unfortunately, if Parsons was able to play earlier which would have allowed FO to see how bad he is.  Then maybe they would've made a move to address the wing or backup PG more aggressively.

It's hard for any player to do anything when everything is geared to go to 3 guys and you aren't 1 of them. JMG should be shooting the ball when he is open whether it is supposed to go to 1 of the 3.

Wallace is the BIGGEST problem with this team.

Wallace is not the problem this team has, he has only been in charge of 2 drafts. Baldwin doesn't look so hot to me but I think Davis is a keeper, if Fiz will play him some.

Wallace is not the problem this team has, he has only been in charge of 2 drafts. Baldwin doesn't look so hot to me but I think Davis is a keeper, if Fiz will play him some.

You sure about this?

In his whole tenure at the Grizzlies, only 2 drafts?

Kevin this roster is essentially the same one you said was the 2nd best team in thee West

I said the grizzlies were the second best team in the west. I never said that they'd be the second seed. I still think the grizzlies can beat any team in the west not named the warriors.