Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

James Harden Has Played Nearly As Many Games As A Pro As Gasol And He Is 27

For comparison's sake. Mike conley has played about 60 more games than Gasol. Another comparison: Tim Duncan was at the top of his game till he was at least 33. At 33, he had played 977 games or roughly 326 games by the end of the this season more than Gasol has played which is 631 as of today. Duncan ended up playing 1392 games, or double gasol.

Shaq was similar, he played 941 games: age 33, before he started to wear down.

Taken into account 82 game season: gasol has at least 4 more years of high level of play, given the fact that Gasol has taken very good care of his body.

What people fail to realize is that Gasol started really late. He was 23 years old when he played his first season in the nba. Also, you have to facor in that the spurs played more playoff games during tim duncans years so I could see gasol playing well into 36 years old at a high level.

Nah just a really dumb thread per usual

It doesn't matter if they are dumb or not people will usually argue with me. Anybody that thinks gasol doesn't have four more peak years after this, then they aren't looking at the facts.

Gasol and Mike are both perfectly situated to have about a 4 year window to the title.

KBM, it is crickets because you are arguing against yourself. No one cares that Marc will or won't play 4 more years at his "peak". The supporting cast is garbage right now. Chancun and co. aren't going to get the job done so your assertion that Marc has 4 more years of peak ball left is a moot point. 

How many more years of peak ball does Zbo have left to carry the rest of these chumps if we resign him? I'd say that is more important or how many more years this franchise gives Wallace to get an additional borderline start-able guard so we don't have to play the likes of Toney Douglas. 

The window has already closed unless the grizz add a player to the roster better than mike and marc.

Marc just turned 32.  Shaq and Tim Duncan (<--also played 4 yrs college) are two of the greatest players in nba history, and you're saying they started going downhill at the age of 33.  I get the point you are making about games played, but i doubt marc gasol can produce like we want and/or stay healthy to the end of his contract.(assuming he takes the player option and stays 3 more years).  He will be 35 during his last season.

As far as taking care of his body, he was a little out of shape to start last year.

Marc played 162 games in Euro competition before coming to the Grizzlies, in which he averaged 19 minutes per game. That's not counting the Spanish Cup and international FIBA competitions (which do have back to backs, and in the case of the Olympics, back-to-back-to-back-to-backs), I don't have a quick way to check those stats.

Of course FIBA-rules games are 40 minutes long.

How many more years of peak ball does Zbo have left to carry the rest of these chumps if we resign him?

Truth to a point.  I don't think zbo can carry them any longer due to father time, and so you're seeing the decline of grit and grind, because mike and marc can't carry the load by themselves.  Then add the anchor named chandler parsons to the mix.

Marc played 162 games in Euro competition before coming to the Grizzlies, in which he averaged 19 minutes per game. That's not counting the Spanish Cup and international FIBA competitions (which do have back to backs, and in the case of the Olympics, back-to-back-to-back-to-backs), I don't have a quick way to check those stats.

While I am not an expert on international play, I'm glad you were able to clarify the games he played and the minutes. It truly shows that Marc does have a lot less wear and tear on his legs than an average 32 year old in the league.

Also, for the person who wanted to bring up that Duncan and Shaq were hall of famers. Being healthy and playing at your ability has nothing to do with if you are a superstar or not. Your health doesn't depend on your level of superstar.

I kinda don't think Marc takes that great care of his body. He's lost weight over the years, but he shouldn't have been that out of shape to begin with as a basketball player

In 3 years, marc will be 35 years old.  That's how old zbo is right now, and we have all seen his decline.  How many zbeast sightings have you seen this year compared to the years in the past? 

What i'm saying is despite playing fewer games, marc will be on the decline by the age of 35 for sure.  He is in his peak now and getting close to his decline, imo.

Here's a list of current nba players 35 or older. 

Atl Jose Calderon 35

Atl Mike Dunleavy 36

Chi Dwyane Wade 35

Cle James Jones 36

Cle Kyle Korver 36

Cle Richard jefferson 36

Cle Chris Andersen 38 and now off the roster due to injury

Dal Dirk Nowitzki 38

Den Mike Miller 37

Den Jameer Nelson 35

GS Matt Barnes 37

GS David West 35

Lac Paul Pierce 39

Lac Jamal Crawford 36

Lal Metta World Peace 37

Mem Zach Randolph 35

Mem Tony Allen 35

Mem Vince Carter 40

Mia Udonis Haslem 36

Mil Jason Terry 39

Okc Nick Collision 36

Sas Manu Ginobili 39

Sas Pau Gasol 36

Utah Joe Johnson 35

Less wear, sure, but it's not like he just worked as an accountant or something before he got to the NBA.  His window might be open a little longer than your average NBA player, but not by much.  

As I expected, crickets. Too much truth in this thread for the board to deal with.

Now the crickets are from you.  Do you still believe marc gasol will be playing at a "high" level at 36 years old?  Or will his stats start going downhill by that time?

Nah just a really dumb thread per usual

You nailed it.   I guess he didn't really think this one out, because as soon as i challenged him, kbm went silent.

Crickets.

It doesn't matter if they are dumb or not people will usually argue with me. Anybody that thinks gasol doesn't have four more peak years after this, then they aren't looking at the facts.

Gasol and Mike are both perfectly situated to have about a 4 year window to the title.

Still waiting on your "facts" that i'm not looking at concerning gasol being in his peak when he is 36 years old.

And perfectly situated to have a 4 year window at the title????  Seriously????  You make yourself look foolish saying such things and then the next day "you are having a sober look at the roster".

In 3 years, marc will be 35 years old.  That's how old zbo is right now, and we have all seen his decline.  How many zbeast sightings have you seen this year compared to the years in the past? 

What i'm saying is despite playing fewer games, marc will be on the decline by the age of 35 for sure.  He is in his peak now and getting close to his decline, imo.

Here's a list of current nba players 35 or older. 

Atl Jose Calderon 35

Atl Mike Dunleavy 36

Chi Dwyane Wade 35

Cle James Jones 36

Cle Kyle Korver 36

Cle Richard jefferson 36

Cle Chris Andersen 38 and now off the roster due to injury

Dal Dirk Nowitzki 38

Den Mike Miller 37

Den Jameer Nelson 35

GS Matt Barnes 37

GS David West 35

Lac Paul Pierce 39

Lac Jamal Crawford 36

Lal Metta World Peace 37

Mem Zach Randolph 35

Mem Tony Allen 35

Mem Vince Carter 40

Mia Udonis Haslem 36

Mil Jason Terry 39

Okc Nick Collision 36

Sas Manu Ginobili 39

Sas Pau Gasol 36

Utah Joe Johnson 35

This list says a lot. Look at how many former stars on are the list. The key word is former. None of them are carrying a team these days or worth a max contract.

I mean what would we get in arguing how many years Gasol has left?

Just sit, shut up and watch. Only the coaching staff and Team Doctors can assess that, not you.

It doesn't make any sense tbh, that's why you're getting crickets.

What IF Gasol has a freak injury/accident then? *knocks on wood*

That throws your argument out of the window  :rolleyes:

While I am not an expert on international play, I'm glad you were able to clarify the games he played and the minutes. It truly shows that Marc does have a lot less wear and tear on his legs than an average 32 year old in the league.

Also, for the person who wanted to bring up that Duncan and Shaq were hall of famers. Being healthy and playing at your ability has nothing to do with if you are a superstar or not. Your health doesn't depend on your level of superstar.

I beg to disagree, their health is also a part of why they're called Superstars.

Ever wondered why AI was considered on a higher tier than Vince Carter?

It's because he didn't had season-ending injuries.

Add in Grant Hill, Penny, Brandon Roy. After their injuries, they have been seen as lower-tier stars.

You can't call someone top 3 in the NBA if they miss a lot of games.

This list says a lot. Look at how many former stars on are the list. The key word is former. None of them are carrying a team these days or worth a max contract.

Bear in mind Marc no longer has a max contract, and with the upcoming cap increase he's going to be even farther away from the max. Next season his salary will be $22.6M, and the max he'd be entitled to would be $36.1M.

Bear in mind Marc no longer has a max contract, and with the upcoming cap increase he's going to be even farther away from the max. Next season his salary will be $22.6M, and the max he'd be entitled to would be $36.1M.

He still has a max contract because it was the maximum he could have signed at the time. It may be less than what he could sign for now, but it is still a max contract. 

He still has a max contract because it was the maximum he could have signed at the time. It may be less than what he could sign for now, but it is still a max contract.

It doesn't matter because it is no longer 35% (or 30%) of the cap, so the burden for our team salary (or for anyone willing to trade for him) is not a max salary. And don't forget he could have asked for a one year contract or player options in order to go for a higher contract the following season (yeah, I don't think he did it out of altruism, but still).

Normally max salaries grow more than the cap year over year. We're in a exceptional situation because the cap is growing faster than the salaries, so Marc's situation is rather unique in NBA history.