Sign in to follow this  
Michael D

What Is Wrong With The Grizzlies?

Am I blowing this out of proportion?

This last game against Brooklyn was a mess to put it lightly. The guys are disengaged, losing to Brooklyn who was 1-9 in their last 10. The coaching is atrocious. There's absolutely no excuse to have Harrison and Douglas in at the same time in the fourth quarter of a close game SMH.

On the bright side Parsons finally had a semi-decent game. Instead of closing this game out the Grizzlies completely fell apart in the fourth. Coach Fiz made horrible decisions tries to put Troy Daniels in with 90 seconds left. Grizzlies only scored once in the final seven minutes.

There's no excuses as the team had plenty of rest and was playing at home against an inferior opponent in the midst of a terrible slide of their own.

They gave up three minutes into the fourth quarter. If you ask me, this definitely is a cause for concern. The team is supposed to be rolling now and getting into playoff mode, not looking like a train wreck.

Fizz in the locker room like "My bad guys. Zbo I'm gonna get you more than 15 minutes next game. Sixth man of the year! Harrison I believe in you, I don't know why I just do. Starting shooting guard position is yours to loose. Don't let me down!"

Meanwhile Troy Daniels and James Ennis just shake their heads. Fizdale stops Toney Douglas from picking up the trash after a missed toss at the trash can and says, "Bro, you aren't the janitor anymore you're my backup point guard. I don't care how many times you miss just keep shooting it."

Sad but true

Too old Too young rookie coach. Blow it up

Seriously this team has a major opportunity for change this coming summer. ZBO and T.A off the books and Pelicans with likely two top 10 picks. With Boogie and AD in that front court they gonna be hungering for a stable do the right thing type PG like Conley. A real chance for a quick re-tool for us. Conley for Jrue Holiday and one of their picks. 

Gets that massive contract off the books for an impact free agent.

Off course reality is as long as Wallace is here. Need I say more? Damm I can't wait for that guy gone. Still shocks me how we do not have ONE rotational player from the draft his entire tenure here.

I don't think there is any doubt Utah has passed us on the scale and they are younger only going to get better while we are on the decline overall.

What's wrong with the Grizz is that they are not really a good team; and Fizz has destroyed any chance of team chemistry with his roster management.

The same thing that has been wrong through 2 owners and 3 coaches...Chris Wallace and the core 4.

Should have rebuilt around Mike/Marc or rebuiljt totally before the ZBo extension like I've said.

Nothing to do now but ride out the next 2 1/2 seasons.

Problem #1:Rotations. For multiple reasons. Chemistry, talent, offense/defense.

Our best players don't get minutes. Our worst players are focal points now to the rotation.

Problem #2: Fizdale needs to stop feeling sorry for players.

Fiz feels sorry for Parsons..he's injured this year, boo hoo, let's move on and work with what we got. But 'he works hard' 'ppl give him crap for social media'. Fiz literally says this. Give it up. I don't think even he wants to be there. He's a nice guy.

Fiz feels sorry for Douglas. 'its a **** shame nobody has picked this guy up'. This is his boy from Miami right? A backup he liked. He's out to prove this guy deserves a contract. This isn't your job Fizdale, your job is to coach, not get Douglas paid. He's a nice guy.

Fiz feels sorry for Conley. Okay, we get it, Conley deserves to make ASG. But there's a lot of great PGs in the west. No need to focus the entire offense off Conley now. He'd obviously our leader, but changing the entire dynamic of the team and rotation just to get him off ball as well is fkn stupid. It's like we're propping Conley up for an all star appearance AFTER the all star game has already passed. Conley's such a great guy tho..

Fiz feels sorry for every nice guy. Zbo and Daniels are edgier aggressive guys. Not Fiz's favorite.

Seriously this team has a major opportunity for change this coming summer. ZBO and T.A off the books and Pelicans with likely two top 10 picks. With Boogie and AD in that front court they gonna be hungering for a stable do the right thing type PG like Conley. A real chance for a quick re-tool for us. Conley for Jrue Holiday and one of their picks. 

Gets that massive contract off the books for an impact free agent.

Off course reality is as long as Wallace is here. Need I say more? Damm I can't wait for that guy gone. Still shocks me how we do not have ONE rotational player from the draft his entire tenure here.

Massive brain fart from me. Sactown has the likely 2 top 10 picks not Pelicans. Not really anyone on their roster I like though. Still, Conley would swing one of those picks and then some.

Massive brain fart from me. Sactown has the likely 2 top 10 picks not Pelicans. Not really anyone on their roster I like though. Still, Conley would swing one of those picks and then some.

Why are you trying to trade our best player

Why are you trying to trade our best player

Yes, he is our best player and I love his play, but this team is played out. ZBO and T.A free agency this upcoming summer. Opportunity for philosophy change is there. Like I said, Utah has passed us on talent level and they are younger. If we keep running the same guys we are not going to progress much further. This is like us back to trading Pau to take a step forward.

I'm a believer in continuity.. But you have to mix things up a bit to keep it fresh (a la the Spurs). We haven't ever, and now that we've tried to a little bit, it seems not only Fiz but the guys got scared and wanted to revert back to the old ways and then you get this... Played out.

Fiz, the rotation dumbass himself, nailed it when he said we've gotten stale. That's accurate.. The guys can go for like 5-8 games on something new, fresh, then fizzle out (no pun intended) and become bored, sulky, careless. The core 4 is TOO comfortable together for some time now. There's a reason why the core looked like new players when we had rookies playing, it was new, reminded them how good they are or needed to be.

If you answer this question with anything besides Chris Wallace and this team should have started over years ago you're in denial and its sad. Multiple posters have been foreshadowing this for a while now. Yet people wanted to believe the nonsense on the radio or fall in love with the meaningless accomplishments the Grizz throw out every now and then to give the people something to cling on too.

This team should have been broken up the year Marc got his contract. Chris Wallace should have never been brought back as the GM I blame that on Pera he is so hands off with this Franchise that he doesn't see how bad of a GM Wallace is.

If we had a Cuban type owner Wallace would have been gone. Its funny how every other NBA team can trade there vets for assets n young players except us. Its funny how every other team can evolve except us.

If you wanna know what wrong with the Grizzlies its not coaching, or Parsons sucking, or players not knowing their roles, it is simple the culture that has been established here.

This team is a grind it out play in the mud make it ugly and squeak out a win type team. Sure they will get lucky and have a game where they score a lot and look like a different team but the core of this roster will never change what has been hammered down in them for so long. Mike and Marc are still subservient to Zach and Tony. A real leader would have went to the FO and said we need a change cause its been obvious that they need one.

My only guess about what is wrong with the Grizz is coaching. I don't understand how you could possibly put the blame anywhere else. The rotations are a complete fustercluck. I don't see how the players know what to expect each game.

My only guess about what is wrong with the Grizz is coaching. I don't understand how you could possibly put the blame anywhere else. The rotations are a complete fustercluck. I don't see how the players know what to expect each game.

How can you blame the coach when they have done these types of things before with a different coach? Its the core mentality of this team. Things have been the same for far too long. Blaming the coach is just a way to ignore the real problem

I feel sorry for ME for watching that craptastic 4th quarter.

Couldn't agree more

How can you blame the coach when they have done these types of things before with a different coach? Its the core mentality of this team. Things have been the same for far too long. Blaming the coach is just a way to ignore the real problem

I blame the coach the same way you blame the players. That's what I see. A strong coach wouldn't have these problems. Blaming the players is just a way to ignore poor coaching.

I hate to bring up an old topic but does anyone worry that the team is turning on Fizdale?

You know, I made a comment about Fizdale's rotations way back in December and I was told to give him a chance and people told me how great a coach Fizz was. Here we are in March and his rotations are still a question. i have no idea if the front office is putting pressure on him to play Parsons but he needs to stop and just shut him down for the rest of the season. he needs to stop the scrub love for Harrison. He needs to get over whatever grudge he has against Daniels. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded Daniels in the off-season. He is making tons of mistakes.

With that being said, i wouldn't rule out that this collection of players just sin't anywhere near as good as the average fan on this board thinks they are. 

You know, I made a comment about Fizdale's rotations way back in December and I was told to give him a chance and people told me how great a coach Fizz was. Here we are in March and his rotations are still a question. i have no idea if the front office is putting pressure on him to play Parsons but he needs to stop and just shut him down for the rest of the season. he needs to stop the scrub love for Harrison. He needs to get over whatever grudge he has against Daniels. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded Daniels in the off-season. He is making tons of mistakes.

With that being said, i wouldn't rule out that this collection of players just sin't anywhere near as good as the average fan on this board thinks they are. 

I don't want to sound like I am basing my opinion on one game because that's not the case. I've been on the fence for awhile about this. Last night's game just pushed me off of it. I think it's time to blow it up. It will probably take three years or more to get back to the playoffs because we don't have much to work with on a rebuild, but it sure seems this bunch is toast.

If you answer this question with anything besides Chris Wallace and this team should have started over years ago you're in denial and its sad. Multiple posters have been foreshadowing this for a while now. Yet people wanted to believe the nonsense on the radio or fall in love with the meaningless accomplishments the Grizz throw out every now and then to give the people something to cling on too.

This team should have been broken up the year Marc got his contract. Chris Wallace should have never been brought back as the GM I blame that on Pera he is so hands off with this Franchise that he doesn't see how bad of a GM Wallace is.

If we had a Cuban type owner Wallace would have been gone. Its funny how every other NBA team can trade there vets for assets n young players except us. Its funny how every other team can evolve except us.

If you wanna know what wrong with the Grizzlies its not coaching, or Parsons sucking, or players not knowing their roles, it is simple the culture that has been established here.

This team is a grind it out play in the mud make it ugly and squeak out a win type team. Sure they will get lucky and have a game where they score a lot and look like a different team but the core of this roster will never change what has been hammered down in them for so long. Mike and Marc are still subservient to Zach and Tony. A real leader would have went to the FO and said we need a change cause its been obvious that they need one.

Many people believe that Marc is the best center in the league. Many, many people believe that Mike is the most underrated point guard in the league. And this year they are both having career years.

Anybody that believes the grizzlies should have broken the team up has been proven wrong, time and again. Both Mike and Marc could fetch more on the market after this year than they ever could have at any point in their careers. The grizzlies have lost absolutely no value in those two players.

The grizzlies have made mistakes, but keeping Mike and Marc aren't one of them.

I don't want to sound like I am basing my opinion on one game because that's not the case. I've been on the fence for awhile about this. Last night's game just pushed me off of it. I think it's time to blow it up. It will probably take three years or more to get back to the playoffs because we don't have much to work with on a rebuild, but it sure seems this bunch is toast.

Understood. I think a lot more people are openly questioning Fizz in recent weeks.