JWill4L

Draft And Free Agency '17

Semi Ojeleye is a guy I would try to get in and take if I were the Grizz 

Does anyone know what's normal for teams with a pick in the range we're in? 
Do they bring in people ranked within, say, 10 positions of their pick? 
Do they bring low-ranked people in to hide that they are trying to trade up? 

25 minutes ago, TimBC said:

Does anyone know what's normal for teams with a pick in the range we're in? 

Ride the air current in a circular manner, looking for carrion with the other vultures.

I think our best bet is to find a team with more than 1 first round pick that doesn't want to pay guaranteed money to more than 1 rookie and try and buy their extra pick. Portland has 3 first round picks and are paying a lot of salary so I would try and buy one of their picks.  

instead of turner i'd maybe look at wright for M. Leonard  with some fillers tossed in and us getting a 1st. maybe take on Dunleavy  if it helps ATL keep Milsap  

6 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

instead of turner i'd maybe look at wright for M. Leonard  with some fillers tossed in and us getting a 1st. maybe take on Dunleavy  if it helps ATL keep Milsap  

Sadly Dunleavy would be an improvement over most of our wings so that would be a no-brainer to me. 

How do people view Taj Gibson in comparision to JaM? Who would you pay more for?

How about Nikola Mirotic? Rudy Gay? Is JaM better for this team than all those guys and will he command as much/more/less money?

The way I see it if JaM is really getting $15M/year then we need to look at what these other guys are worth and how would they look slotted into JaM's minutes with the other players expected to be on our roster. 

13 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

How do people view Taj Gibson in comparision to JaM? Who would you pay more for?

How about Nikola Mirotic? Rudy Gay? Is JaM better for this team than all those guys and will he command as much/more/less money?

The way I see it if JaM is really getting $15M/year then we need to look at what these other guys are worth and how would they look slotted into JaM's minutes with the other players expected to be on our roster. 

I take JaMyke over all of them at that price.  Simply because none of them offer them same versatility or skillset that he does.   Taj is nice but his age and inability to space the floor and lack of versatility makes him a step down from JaMyke.    Mirotic doesn't offer any defense.  Rudy Gay as PF is an interesting proposition but no way is he worth the risk.  

JaM can defend all 5 positions, hustles, rebounds and is a solid 3pt shooter.   Plus he already knows the system, is only 27 and most importantly has chemistry with Marc.   We all know how much of a diva Marc is so the fact that JaM (and DD) already have his respect is a big deal.  

Another added bonus is that JaM has shown the ability to play well with any Big he is paired with.    JaM+ Gasol,   JaM + Zbo ,  JaM+ DD, JaM + Martin  his ability to fight in the paint or shoot from outside makes him the ideal complimentary player in any scenario.   

Dude is massively underrated here.  

13 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Ride the air current in a circular manner, looking for carrion with the other vultures.

I think our best bet is to find a team with more than 1 first round pick that doesn't want to pay guaranteed money to more than 1 rookie and try and buy their extra pick. Portland has 3 first round picks and are paying a lot of salary so I would try and buy one of their picks.  

Yep. We already have a bunch of lower-round draftees that we are hoping will suddenly get good somehow. 
Need to get someone with a notch more talent, higher chance of becoming a starter soonish. 

2 hours ago, TimBC said:

Yep. We already have a bunch of lower-round draftees that we are hoping will suddenly get good somehow. 
Need to get someone with a notch more talent, higher chance of becoming a starter soonish. 

After my post, I checked basketball-reference and according to them, Portland owes 140 million in salary this coming season. With all first round picks guaranteed money, there is no doubt that they will be moving at least 1 of those first rounders', if not 2 of their 3. If the Grizzlies don't intend on keeping ZBo, this could be a great opportunity. He still likes Portland and they still like him.

On 6/15/2017 at 10:13 PM, Father Pat said:

Agree with all of this, except I could see Portland dealing a 1st rounder for multiple future 2nd rounders, and the Grizzlies own several of those.  

After listening to John Hollinger on the radio yesterday, I'm convinced that the team is not looking to make any sort of noise on draft night aside from possibly grabbing a 2nd round pick.

31 minutes ago, The_PROOF said:

After listening to John Hollinger on the radio yesterday, I'm convinced that the team is not looking to make any sort of noise on draft night aside from possibly grabbing a 2nd round pick.

Yea it seemed like they would try and move into the early second round.  It makes sense cause we are pretty tight on cash and the bottom half of the first round isn't that much better than the top half of the second. 

I kind of prefer  them to get a second rounder it's less pressure if they screw it up. The only way I see them getting into the first round is if Wright is involved and they arent bringing any players back

20 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I take JaMyke over all of them at that price.  Simply because none of them offer them same versatility or skillset that he does.   Taj is nice but his age and inability to space the floor and lack of versatility makes him a step down from JaMyke.    Mirotic doesn't offer any defense.  Rudy Gay as PF is an interesting proposition but no way is he worth the risk.  

JaM can defend all 5 positions, hustles, rebounds and is a solid 3pt shooter.   Plus he already knows the system, is only 27 and most importantly has chemistry with Marc.   We all know how much of a diva Marc is so the fact that JaM (and DD) already have his respect is a big deal.  

Another added bonus is that JaM has shown the ability to play well with any Big he is paired with.    JaM+ Gasol,   JaM + Zbo ,  JaM+ DD, JaM + Martin  his ability to fight in the paint or shoot from outside makes him the ideal complimentary player in any scenario.   

Dude is massively underrated here.  

You certainly think very highly of JaM. I agree with you that defensively he is clearly better than the other options, but I am also anxious about what to expect when dialing up the minutes into the 30s because of his seemingly constant foul trouble. 

Is the "risk" with Gay that he is injury prone? 

You guys who are expecting we trade into the mid 1st round.... I can't say that it won't happen, but the last time we did something like that it took Battier to get us the #8. Do we really even have someone like that to give up?

Unless we can get into the lottery I don't think there is much difference from 20-40 he'll look at what we got at 17 last year and look at how many players picked after him looked better. 

3 hours ago, The_PROOF said:

Sounded like they're trying to bring all the free agents back too.

Greeeeeeaaaaaat. Super stoked.

8 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

You certainly think very highly of JaM. I agree with you that defensively he is clearly better than the other options, but I am also anxious about what to expect when dialing up the minutes into the 30s because of his seemingly constant foul trouble. 

Is the "risk" with Gay that he is injury prone? 

You guys who are expecting we trade into the mid 1st round.... I can't say that it won't happen, but the last time we did something like that it took Battier to get us the #8. Do we really even have someone like that to give up?

Yes the risk with Rudy is his injury.  We cannot afford to invest big dollars into another player coming off major injury.  

I am am not worried about JaM foul issue because he will have another year of acclimation and refs tend to be loser with the whistle as you gain exepeience.   

I want us to trade into the second round and take a player that is an upperclassmen that can score and preferably create his own shot or at least create for others. 

Here's my list with video:

Sindarius Thornwell

Josh Hart

Dillon Brooks

Semi Ojeleye

I don't see the point in the Grizz drafting a pg or center so either they take a versatile wing or a player who can replace either Jam or Martin. There is too much smoke around green for me to think they won't bring him back though I think Ojeleye will probably  end up being better than Jam.  So that means we should take a wing who can play both 2 and 3 at least.  

My pick would be Brooks he seems to be the more versatile of the 3 wings he actually  played the 4 for Oregon.  I hope we get into this draft and take someone that can help now and later. And not some random young player with upside. 

I wish we courage enought to trade Marc to Lakers and get the 2nd and some sort of players like Mozgov + Randle.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yazv5fwg

Draft Josh Jackson.

Resign Jam, VC if possible. Sign Monroe and Troy Williams if available.

MC/Harrison/Baldwin

Selden/Williams/Daniels

Jackson/Ennis/VC

Randle/Jam/Martin

Monroe/Davis/Mongov

We will be fighting for the 8th spot, but that what we usually do.

On 2017-6-17 at 7:15 AM, The_PROOF said:

I just wish PJ Dozier is available and we get him. 

53 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

I just wish PJ Dozier is available and we get him. 

Why we already have the equivalent in Harrison no need to get another player with limited scoring ability 

The Grizzlies have been secretly working out players before the draft. They aren't releasing any names like they have in the past which makes me believe this is more than simply not wanting to let other team's know who they are looking at since all the teams know who, where and when the players are working out already.

Which makes me wonder are the Grizzlies are being quiet because they don't want fans to get their hopes up that the Grizzlies are working out 1st round talent so they must be buying into the draft? Or are they not working out 1st round talent because they are looking for free agents to sign after the draft? Or is it simply that the team is working out prospects for the Hustle? 

No matter what the reason the front office is being extremely secretive about who they are working out. They won't even confirm a printed story about a french player who said he has signed with the Grizzlies to play on the summer league team. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies have been secretly working out players before the draft. They aren't releasing any names like they have in the past which makes me believe this is more than simply not wanting to let other team's know who they are looking at since all the teams know who, where and when the players are working out already.

Which makes me wonder are the Grizzlies are being quiet because they don't want fans to get their hopes up that the Grizzlies are working out 1st round talent so they must be buying into the draft? Or are they not working out 1st round talent because they are looking for free agents to sign after the draft? Or is it simply that the team is working out prospects for the Hustle? 

No matter what the reason the front office is being extremely secretive about who they are working out. They won't even confirm a printed story about a french player who said he has signed with the Grizzlies to play on the summer league team. 

What French player?