JWill4L

Draft And Free Agency '17

9 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Phil Jackson wanted him, but didn't bother scheduling a meeting because he had heard what the price tag was. I'm sure that that was many other teams as well.

So your point that the grizzlies had no copetittion for conley's services were false.

and the reason why was the grizzlies made sure that nobody could get into his ear.

oh and by the way Phil signed Derrick rose and how did that work out? Derrick rose, porzingis and melo playing in the weak eastern conference.

I don't know how many people said that Derrick rose could replace mike, but I'm sure you were onne of them.

Dude, Memphis had no competition at HIS PRICE TAG. You basically just repeated the main point of everything I am saying. No one was meeting with him because he wanted too much. Hence the Grizzlies spent too much.

21 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Dude, Memphis had no competition at HIS PRICE TAG. You basically just repeated the main point of everything I am saying. No one was meeting with him because he wanted too much. Hence the Grizzlies spent too much.

and thats the price of getting into the playoffs and going 31-51.

Congrats Phil, you saved money.

Also, the grizzlies wanted to make sure that conley had no suitors so their offer reflected that.

of course since you didn't mind if we lost conley you would have lowballed him, and he probably would have been gone.

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

and thats the price of getting into the playoffs and going 31-51.

Congrats Phil, you saved money.

Also, the grizzlies wanted to make sure that conley had no suitors so their offer reflected that.

of course since you didn't mind if we lost conley you would have lowballed him, and he probably would have been gone.

A bunch of crappy contracts for an old slightly above .500 team isnt a good price to pay for winning 2 playoff games.

33 minutes ago, Dwash said:

A bunch of crappy contracts for an old slightly above .500 team isnt a good price to pay for winning 2 playoff games.

also, i have to mention this: Derrick Rose is seeking 150 million. you still like Derrick rose.

4 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

also, i have to mention this: Derrick Rose is seeking 150 million. you still like Derrick rose.

Then you move on until he gets real.

I was doing maths on the current salaries we have. The current situation it's bad but it's not THAT bad.

With Wright, we have 92M in salaries for the next season. If they trade Wright, that's 6M off the books. The salary cap is expected to be at 102M, so you have to work with 16M.

Let's assume Carter is back at 3M and ZBo OR Allen (not both) is back at 5M. You have 8M to sign someone and then match any offer Green receives.

Would like to have a good cheap SG, but the free agent class this year is meh at its best.

13 hours ago, JWill4L said:

I was doing maths on the current salaries we have. The current situation it's bad but it's not THAT bad.

With Wright, we have 92M in salaries for the next season. If they trade Wright, that's 6M off the books. The salary cap is expected to be at 102M, so you have to work with 16M.

Let's assume Carter is back at 3M and ZBo OR Allen (not both) is back at 5M. You have 8M to sign someone and then match any offer Green receives.

Would like to have a good cheap SG, but the free agent class this year is meh at its best.

I like your thought process but I have a question. How exactly do you trade Wright and relieve his salary from the team's payroll? As I understand the rules if you trade a player you need to take back a similar salary. 

34 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I like your thought process but I have a question. How exactly do you trade Wright and relieve his salary from the team's payroll? As I understand the rules if you trade a player you need to take back a similar salary. 

Trading him for a draft pick. That can be done, right?

25 minutes ago, JWill4L said:

Trading him for a draft pick. That can be done, right?

Nope. You can trade for an substantially equal contract and a draft pick but draft picks don't have any value in a trade. However, if you delay the trade until after the pick is made then you can include the slotted salary of the pick in a trade. Check out the CBA FAQ page here and here for more explanations on trading players and the exceptions allowed. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Nope. You can trade for an substantially equal contract and a draft pick but draft picks don't have any value in a trade. However, if you delay the trade until after the pick is made then you can include the slotted salary of the pick in a trade. Check out the CBA FAQ page here and here for more explanations on trading players and the exceptions allowed. 

This makes me wonder ... 30 teams, 15 per = 450 players, plus 50 who cycle in and out as injuries happen, call it 500.   How many contract lawyers and CPAs does are employed just to work with the CBA? League + 30 teams + say 200 agents and THEIR lawyers?        

What if you trade him to a team under the cap? (I don't feel like reading the CBA FAQ. I always thought you could trade to a team with cap room and not take money back. Now you got me questioning myself)

3 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

What if you trade him to a team under the cap? (I don't feel like reading the CBA FAQ. I always thought you could trade to a team with cap room and not take money back. Now you got me questioning myself)

Yes thats true. You also receive a trade exception in return unless you are under the cap too I believe(Eg. Bogut to Dallas). Thats why team usually make you pay with a pick for salary dumps.

3 hours ago, TimBC said:

This makes me wonder ... 30 teams, 15 per = 450 players, plus 50 who cycle in and out as injuries happen, call it 500.   How many contract lawyers and CPAs does are employed just to work with the CBA? League + 30 teams + say 200 agents and THEIR lawyers?        

I have no idea but I'm not sure that is germane to the question of trading Brandan Wright to free up cap space. 

On Friday, June 09, 2017 at 9:50 AM, lsugrizzfan said:

Although you can you end up often trading a future draft pick because the other team is doing you the favor, so If you didn't want salary and the team had room it would be Wright plus a pick.

At least as I remember and have seen it.

On 6/9/2017 at 11:50 AM, lsugrizzfan said:

that would be a trade exception. you cannot reduce your cap wholly by making unequal  trades. you can trade for a player that is on an expiring deal. etc. 

correction: you could find a team that has a trade exception that is equal to wrights salary and dump him for an overseas player, a draft pick, etc.

On Wednesday, June 07, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Markey78 said:

I like TA but I rather he be a backup and a real scorer at the SG spot.

TA is still one of the top UFA SG this off-season.  

He will have a market for his services.

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

TA is still one of the top UFA SG this off-season.  

He will have a market for his services.

I rather market TA for a late pick or a under used younger player

On 6/9/2017 at 0:17 PM, chipc3 said:

I have no idea but I'm not sure that is germane to the question of trading Brandan Wright to free up cap space. 

Sorry I dared to stray from your argument.  I'll just leave this thread till you're done with it.  

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Markey78 said:

I rather market TA for a late pick or a under used younger player

There is no market that gets the Grizzlies those items in a trade.

He's a free agent.

18 hours ago, TimBC said:

Sorry I dared to stray from your argument.  I'll just leave this thread till you're done with it.  

A bit hyper-sensitive today aren't we? 

I wouldn't be surprised to see TA on the Cavs next season. LeBron needs someone on the team he can use just as a defender to help slow down the Warriors. It just seems a little too perfect of a scenario.

He would easily replace Richard Jefferson.

1 hour ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see TA on the Cavs next season. LeBron needs someone on the team he can use just as a defender to help slow down the Warriors. It just seems a little too perfect of a scenario.

He would easily replace Richard Jefferson.

Players that can't shoot are worthless vs the Warriors 

Since Portland is willing to depart with a 1st for a salary dump, I would ask about Allen Crabbe. Only 25, good shooter, decent D, a bit inconsistent, but he's worth the risk IMO