JWill4L

Draft And Free Agency '17

21 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

I wanted to trade Marc so we wouldn't stupidly pay Conley which led to us stupidly pay Parsons for a mediocre team with no potential.

So trading Marc is on that same line of thinking...

Why was it stupid to sign conley?

27 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Because he is an oft-injured aging smallish PG who has never been an all star.

And if we hadn't sign him: what was your plan to make us MemphisX approved. Tell me what you would have done.

16 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

And if we hadn't sign him: what was your plan to make us MemphisX approved. Tell me what you would have done.

There was no need to give him a 5 year max cause there was no competition. Virtually every team rumored to have interest had already bailed out/went in another direction.

20 minutes ago, Dwash said:

There was no need to give him a 5 year max cause there was no competition. Virtually every team rumored to have interest had already bailed out/went in another direction.

They bailed out because Memphis was committed to making a fair offer and those teams knew conley wasn't leaving Memphis without a good reason. If Memphis had lowballed him, and there was an indication of friction, teams would have been out in droves to lure him away.

I guess you never been in a business situation before, because you can't go into a situation which is delicate and just ***** people off. Making a great first offer can make or break a situation as it did with dwade. 

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

They bailed out because Memphis was committed to making a fair offer and those teams knew conley wasn't leaving Memphis without a good reason. If Memphis had lowballed him, and there was an indication of friction, teams would have been out in droves to lure him away.

I guess you never been in a business situation before, because you can't go into a situation which is delicate and just ***** people off. Making a great first offer can make or break a situation as it did with dwade. 

Lol hardly no one would have had any money left. They all spent it somewhere else. Thats why teams usually setup max level meetings first few days.  Thats just common sense.

He had no market at his price. Thats why no one met with him. No one was going to match his demands. If they knew he would stay in Memphis its because they were the only team offering 30 million per. Just dumb. The hell with ******* him off.

Conley had one team setup a meeting with him. And then they went with Harrison Barnes after KD chose.  Typically the true max free agents have to narrow it down to three or four meetings even if its just to get a feel. This is a dog eat dog market, unless they are restricted, you go for what you want. 

39 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Lol hardly no one would have had any money left. They all spent it somewhere else. Thats why teams usually setup max level meetings first few days.  Thats just common sense.

He had no market at his price. Thats why no one met with him. No one was going to match his demands. If they knew he would stay in Memphis its because they were the only team offering 30 million per. Just dumb. The hell with ******* him off.

Conley had one team setup a meeting with him. And then they went with Harrison Barnes after KD chose.  Typically the true max free agents have to narrow it down to three or four meetings even if its just to get a feel. This is a dog eat dog market, unless they are restricted, you go for what you want. 

No need to get defensive. It's like you are screaming at me.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:11 AM, Ndq0327 said:

Well that should just about do it for Martin though I was really hoping they be more interested in a guard that can score. 

I like Josh Hart and Tyler Dorsey

I think it has more to do with Jam not resigning than them giving up on Martin.

Are y'all honestly still clowning about the Conley contract? Lord have mercy.

Yes, management has doubled down on riding this GNG thing until it dies. As we all expected and as they probably should.

When we get into the "dog days" of the Conley deal... years 4,5 when he's not worth it, the team will have its draft picks again and suck anyway, so Conley soaking up 35k of our payroll or whatever it balloons to will be moot.

Who is going to be lamenting what we're paying Mike Conley, when the team is jockeying for lotto position?

23 minutes ago, Acehigh718 said:

Are y'all honestly still clowning about the Conley contract? Lord have mercy.

Yes, management has doubled down on riding this GNG thing until it dies. As we all expected and as they probably should.

When we get into the "dog days" of the Conley deal... years 4,5 when he's not worth it, the team will have its draft picks again and suck anyway, so Conley soaking up 35k of our payroll or whatever it balloons to will be moot.

Who is going to be lamenting what we're paying Mike Conley, when the team is jockeying for lotto position?

We just gotta hope he his injury history doesnt get worse and those dog years dont start a little early. The drop is quick for small point guards.

Even with his career year, I do not think Conley is worth the max. But I would have still paid it to him. I am not mad we paid it to him. The alternative was to let him walk, which he would have; Dallas was very interested in him. I guarantee there would have been other teams interested as well if they thought there was an opening. Don't give me this crap about other teams having already spent their money. If they could have gotten Conley, they would find a way to make it happen. Watch the Spurs if CP3 says he wants to go there. They will make the cap room.

Same arguments every summer. The same people who want players traded away will be the same posters who criticize the team when the player that got moved does well somewhere else. Do we not remember Kyle Lowry, Mike Miller, Pau Gasol. etc. 

4 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Even with his career year, I do not think Conley is worth the max. But I would have still paid it to him. I am not mad we paid it to him. The alternative was to let him walk, which he would have; Dallas was very interested in him. I guarantee there would have been other teams interested as well if they thought there was an opening. Don't give me this crap about other teams having already spent their money. If they could have gotten Conley, they would find a way to make it happen. Watch the Spurs if CP3 says he wants to go there. They will make the cap room.

The question is not if someone wanted him but who was paying the max. If teams want to give you the max they usually meet with you within the first few days cause max guys are priority 1.

Dallas met but no indications of an offer. Then they paid Barnes.

16 hours ago, Dwash said:

The question is not if someone wanted him but who was paying the max. If teams want to give you the max they usually meet with you within the first few days cause max guys are priority 1.

Dallas met but no indications of an offer. Then they paid Barnes.

I guess no one was interested in paying Gasol either? No one met with Gasol because they knew he was resigning in Memphis. Look, I don't think either of them are max caliber players, but both would have got paid the max by someone. 

26 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I guess no one was interested in paying Gasol either? No one met with Gasol because they knew he was resigning in Memphis. Look, I don't think either of them are max caliber players, but both would have got paid the max by someone. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/13172167/marc-gasol-not-taking-meetings-other-memphis-grizzlies

Gasol didnt accept any other meetings. Conley was clearly open for business and got one meeting. Kinda big difference wouldn't you say?

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/13172167/marc-gasol-not-taking-meetings-other-memphis-grizzlies

Gasol didnt accept any other meetings. Conley was clearly open for business and got one meeting. Kinda big difference wouldn't you say?

I'd agree with you....if I believed that was true. Where is the link that says Conley was "open for business" or actively trying to meet with other teams and got no requests? I think no one asked for meetings because they knew Conley was resigning. After all, he promised his best friend on the team, Marc, that if Marc resigned, he would, too. Not to mention, he was actively recruiting Chandler Parsons to the team. You don't think other teams knew this? You think  teams are scheduling meetings with players they clearly do not expect to sign when they can meet with players that have a chance to sign?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/16630553/free-agent-mike-conley-meeting-dallas-mavericks-friday

Conley was setup to hear the Mavs out. Why would you assume that he wasnt willing to hear other teams out. The article says he will meet with Memphis after meeting with other interested teams and he only had one known team to set up.

There are other signs too such as the stacked pg position. Many rumored teams who need a pg quickly spent their money elsewhere.

New York went Drose. (Phil Jackson later called the Conley contract insane btw after everyone said they wanted him. So you actually have one gms opinion on record).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/knicks-phil-jackson-mike-conley-free-agency/amp/

His hometown Pacers went with Teague.

Jazz went with George Hill.

Rockets called in Gordon/Anderson.

Spurs also backed out it was said.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:34 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

Why was it stupid to sign conley?

Not at all look how the national media respond to him. What's stupid is we're yet to find him a backcourt mate on the level of a real SG

1 hour ago, Markey78 said:

Not at all look how the national media respond to him. What's stupid is we're yet to find him a backcourt mate on the level of a real SG

Aye aye

But then we would be denigrating the GrindFather. That's blasphemous to some.... 

49 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Aye aye

But then we would be denigrating the GrindFather. That's blasphemous to some.... 

I like TA but I rather he be a backup and a real scorer at the SG spot.

11 hours ago, Markey78 said:

I like TA but I rather he be a backup and a real scorer at the SG spot.

I like TA. I think at his age he is best suited coming off the bench as a stopper. I don't want to see him ever think of himself as a scorer! 

18 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I like TA. I think at his age he is best suited coming off the bench as a stopper. I don't want to see him ever think of himself as a scorer! 

But he has one of the highest FG% on the team.

On 6/6/2017 at 4:23 PM, Dwash said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/16630553/free-agent-mike-conley-meeting-dallas-mavericks-friday

Conley was setup to hear the Mavs out. Why would you assume that he wasnt willing to hear other teams out. The article says he will meet with Memphis after meeting with other interested teams and he only had one known team to set up.

There are other signs too such as the stacked pg position. Many rumored teams who need a pg quickly spent their money elsewhere.

New York went Drose. (Phil Jackson later called the Conley contract insane btw after everyone said they wanted him. So you actually have one gms opinion on record).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/knicks-phil-jackson-mike-conley-free-agency/amp/

His hometown Pacers went with Teague.

Jazz went with George Hill.

Rockets called in Gordon/Anderson.

Spurs also backed out it was said.

Phil Jackson wanted him, but didn't bother scheduling a meeting because he had heard what the price tag was. I'm sure that that was many other teams as well.

So your point that the grizzlies had no copetittion for conley's services were false.

and the reason why was the grizzlies made sure that nobody could get into his ear.

oh and by the way Phil signed Derrick rose and how did that work out? Derrick rose, porzingis and melo playing in the weak eastern conference.

I don't know how many people said that Derrick rose could replace mike, but I'm sure you were onne of them.

16 minutes ago, Dwash said:

But he has one of the highest FG% on the team.

And that is because he ISN'T a scorer. Giving someone with a high FG% the go ahead to score doesn't mean he'll continue to shoot at that percentage. This isn't a computer simulation after all.