Sign in to follow this  
bobblybook1

Darren Collison Being Shopped

The playoffs will bring clarity. Hopefully we get the Jazz.

I don't care who the Grizzlies get in the playoffs. I just hope they don't get 5th place. Worst possible outcome for the Grizzlies. They stand a chance against the Rockets even playing on the road and I'd rather play the Spurs than the Warriors on the 2nd round. 

So you are suggesting taking a risk of the lottery and a season of losing is better than making the playoffs and losing short of a title. Many teams make trades every year, usually with little positive impact to the team and often to the detriment of the franchise in the short run. 

As a fan who attends NBA games, I can tell you there is nothing worse than watching a losing team. When the Grizzlies started losing with Pau I understood the team was going to suffer in the short term for the long term benefit of the franchise and the team turned things around rather quickly from those dark days but I wouldn't want to return to those days right now while the team is among the best teams in the league. Not the best by any means but among the best.

My question is simply why give up a solid franchise base in the hopes of getting incrementally better if it won't make a real difference in outcomes? You said the franchise hasn't accomplished anything but being swept in the conference finals. What moves do you see this franchise doing today that would take them further than that this year? Do you see anything that Memphis could do short of an extended time in the lottery to replicate that or to surpass the Warriors?

If not why take the risk of losing fans, not making the playoffs and becoming even more irrelevant around the league simply to satisfy your desire to make a move?

Houston is the poster child for trade, trade, trade under Daryl Morey and what do they have to show for all these deals? How many teams have actually traded their way into an NBA Championship?  

I believe the team is trying to get better in a responsible manner. They want to improve which is why they resigned James Ennis, signed Chandler Parsons, drafted Wade Baldwin, traded for Dejonta Davis and prospect Rade Zagorac. They released Troy Williams to sign Tony Douglas to improve the backup PG position. The team has made a lot of moves in the last 12 months all in an attempt to improve the team. Just because they don't make a trade at the deadline this year doesn't mean the team isn't trying to improve. Sometimes improvement means having a greater time frame than 3-4 months. 

This has been my general premise all along. Good post.

You guys can be scared all you want of the lottery. But at least when we were getting high draft pics aside from Thabeet there was something to look forward to. There is nothing to look forward to with this roster and the direction they are headed. Yea we got young players and they are in Iowa great way to get your fans invested in your future by watching the rooks on Facebook.

Its the same crap year after year. Same excuses same BS "tough out" label in the playoff, same prayer to the basketball gods for good health, same questioning of effort when we go to over time with the Sixers, same hope that we can find rest for Mike n Marc. ITS ALL the same thing how can you be content with that every year?

The only thing that changes are the random pieces on the outside but no one is empowered to take on a bigger role no one is ever good enough to push TA out, we still need to feed the big fella cause we refuse to find someone that makes him obsolete. Yet I'm wrong for thinking this team is a joke?

Seriously name ONE thing they have done that even remotely looks like they care about a championship.

You guys can be scared all you want of the lottery. But at least when we were getting high draft pics aside from Thabeet there was something to look forward to. There is nothing to look forward to with this roster and the direction they are headed. Yea we got young players and they are in Iowa great way to get your fans invested in your future by watching the rooks on Facebook.

Its the same crap year after year. Same excuses same BS "tough out" label in the playoff, same prayer to the basketball gods for good health, same questioning of effort when we go to over time with the Sixers, same hope that we can find rest for Mike n Marc. ITS ALL the same thing how can you be content with that every year?

The only thing that changes are the random pieces on the outside but no one is empowered to take on a bigger role no one is ever good enough to push TA out, we still need to feed the big fella cause we refuse to find someone that makes him obsolete. Yet I'm wrong for thinking this team is a joke?

Seriously name ONE thing they have done that even remotely looks like they care about a championship.

That's your mindset, but you can't expect for the casual fan to get with that. They want to see a winning product on the floor, even if it is a 45-50 win team and a 2nd round playoff exit. I cannot fault the organization for remaining respectable and keeping fan interest where it needs to be.

You can say this team is a joke all you want to, but it's a joke that many, many franchises wish that they had. How many teams have made the playoffs 7 straight years? That's what the Grizzlies will accomplish in less than 2 months.

You can define actions on "care about a championship" that way, but how does the average fan think about that when they see the team blow it up and play the lottery every year? You seen how the fans reacted to that, winning 20 games a year while attendance plummeted.

You might disagree with their methods, but they are spending money and putting a product on the floor. It doesn't have to be your specific vision that they must have in order for them to be making a run at a championship. They signed Parsons, and if I recall, you thought he would be a productive signing. Maybe I'm mistaken on that.

The methods that this team has taken are the correct course of action, IMO. We've got some young pieces, and we've also got some veterans to keep the team competitive. A good mix of both is the best way to go.

So you are suggesting taking a risk of the lottery and a season of losing is better than making the playoffs and losing short of a title. Many teams make trades every year, usually with little positive impact to the team and often to the detriment of the franchise in the short run. 

As a fan who attends NBA games, I can tell you there is nothing worse than watching a losing team. When the Grizzlies started losing with Pau I understood the team was going to suffer in the short term for the long term benefit of the franchise and the team turned things around rather quickly from those dark days but I wouldn't want to return to those days right now while the team is among the best teams in the league. Not the best by any means but among the best.

My question is simply why give up a solid franchise base in the hopes of getting incrementally better if it won't make a real difference in outcomes? You said the franchise hasn't accomplished anything but being swept in the conference finals. What moves do you see this franchise doing today that would take them further than that this year? Do you see anything that Memphis could do short of an extended time in the lottery to replicate that or to surpass the Warriors?

If not why take the risk of losing fans, not making the playoffs and becoming even more irrelevant around the league simply to satisfy your desire to make a move?

Houston is the poster child for trade, trade, trade under Daryl Morey and what do they have to show for all these deals? How many teams have actually traded their way into an NBA Championship?  

I believe the team is trying to get better in a responsible manner. They want to improve which is why they resigned James Ennis, signed Chandler Parsons, drafted Wade Baldwin, traded for Dejonta Davis and prospect Rade Zagorac. They released Troy Williams to sign Tony Douglas to improve the backup PG position. The team has made a lot of moves in the last 12 months all in an attempt to improve the team. Just because they don't make a trade at the deadline this year doesn't mean the team isn't trying to improve. Sometimes improvement means having a greater time frame than 3-4 months. 

The last one that I remember is the Celtics in acquiring Garnett and Allen.

The last one that I remember is the Celtics in acquiring Garnett and Allen.

If all you are looking at is teams making multiple trades to a title then there aren't many.  But going back over the past decade or so I would say Sheed to the Pistons was huge.  Ofcourse Shaq to the Heat was huge.  You mentioned the Celtics.  There was Pau to the Lakers.  Chandler to the Mavs.  The Spurs got Kawai Leonard on draft night for George Hill which seemed to turn their franchise in a new direction and I believe they traded for Boris Diaw (or picked him up off the wire one).  Those were huge moves.

It's just one of the three ways to acquire talent, but trades have had it's role in putting the finishing touches on a title team for sure.

Look, maybe this team isn't "better" today, isn't "improved" today, but the reality is this should have been a "two steps back" season for us.  Rookie coach, putting a lot of green players in our rotation.  There were (I would say legitimate) predictions that this team would win somewhere in the 30's this season.  The signs were there for a drop off, even with our "core 4" still around. 

The idea that this team has stayed in playoff mode despite all the changes this season is incredible.  Not to mention a major early injury to one of our key players, and no meaningful contribution from our big off-season signing.  

This is not the year for a shake-up, and it's not the year for an all-in move either.  This is a team that is in transition.  I said at the beginning of this year that this year was all about evaluation, and I'm sticking to that theory.  We have to understand what we have before we can declare we know where the gaps are.  If Parsons never gets back to form, it makes enhancing this team difficult, but not impossible.  In the meantime, being competitive for a playoff spot is winning in this year's book, in my mind anyway.

Keeping Douglas for the rest of the season will be the right move. But after that, I am fine with the Grizzlies standing pat.  It would be nice to see some activity in the offseason though, because Coach should know what his most glaring areas of need are then.  Of course, we're also going to have to rely on the ever ubiquitous "internal improvement" for some of these young pups.

Look, maybe this team isn't "better" today, isn't "improved" today, but the reality is this should have been a "two steps back" season for us.  Rookie coach, putting a lot of green players in our rotation.  There were (I would say legitimate) predictions that this team would win somewhere in the 30's this season.  The signs were there for a drop off, even with our "core 4" still around. 

The idea that this team has stayed in playoff mode despite all the changes this season is incredible.  Not to mention a major early injury to one of our key players, and no meaningful contribution from our big off-season signing.  

This is not the year for a shake-up, and it's not the year for an all-in move either.  This is a team that is in transition.  I said at the beginning of this year that this year was all about evaluation, and I'm sticking to that theory.  We have to understand what we have before we can declare we know where the gaps are.  If Parsons never gets back to form, it makes enhancing this team difficult, but not impossible.  In the meantime, being competitive for a playoff spot is winning in this year's book, in my mind anyway.

Keeping Douglas for the rest of the season will be the right move. But after that, I am fine with the Grizzlies standing pat.  It would be nice to see some activity in the offseason though, because Coach should know what his most glaring areas of need are then.  Of course, we're also going to have to rely on the ever ubiquitous "internal improvement" for some of these young pups.

+1

Look, maybe this team isn't "better" today, isn't "improved" today, but the reality is this should have been a "two steps back" season for us.  Rookie coach, putting a lot of green players in our rotation.  There were (I would say legitimate) predictions that this team would win somewhere in the 30's this season. The signs were there for a drop off, even with our "core 4" still around. 

You can include me in the group that expected a drop off. Rookie coach playing rookie contracts and the core 4 vets having major injury issues not to mention Z-Bo's attitude risk with the move to the bench. I said 41-41 for the year and couldn't be happier being wrong. 

I couldn't agree more. 

I am not sure about Douglas. Sure he's looked good at times but if the team can hold off a little while and see who gets dropped from teams after the trade deadline they may find someone better too. The good news is the deadline comes before the Grizzlies next game so they have some time to see what's available before making a permanent decision for the season. 

I was hoping Rade Zagorac would be a great sleeper addition this summer but his play seems to have plateaued in Europe this year. He's scoring more but less efficiently. Davis and Baldwin have physical ability to improve however. 

You can include me in the group that expected a drop off. Rookie coach playing rookie contracts and the core 4 vets having major injury issues not to mention Z-Bo's attitude risk with the move to the bench. I said 41-41 for the year and couldn't be happier being wrong. 

I tend to agree. They talk a good game but they are probably trying to stay just good enough to remain "interesting" to the fan base.

100% agree

We should pick up Brandon Jennings, he was just waived by the Knicks. 

How?  Our roster is full.  Why?  Isn't he broken?  We have people complaining about the Parsons signing since he was injured but we want to bring in more guys who had even more serious injuries (Chalmers, Jennings)?