The_PROOF

Troy Williams Appreciation Thread

One thing you're not taking into account is that Andrew Harrison, at 6'6" can spend a few minutes at the SF position when necessary, but Troy Williams cannot play any PG. Oh, and since the new year began Harrison is shooting 44% from the field and 41% from three-point land.

I'm sure you'll disagree, so I guess this discussion has run its course.

No, I don't disagree with that. He's a big point guard so I don't see why he couldn't swing over in smaller lineups. And truthfully, I'm hoping for continued improvement from him. I might critique his production but I'm never going to root against one of our players.

No, I don't disagree with that. He's a big point guard so I don't see why he couldn't swing over in smaller lineups. And truthfully, I'm hoping for continued improvement from him. I might critique his production but I'm never going to root against one of our players.

And I am not rooting against Williams either.  I really hope he develops and is back for us.  

The Oklahoma City Blue beat the Iowa Energy 116-106 #NBADL

Troy Williams led Iowa with 32 points (12-15 FGs; 5-7 3P) in just 18 mins off the bench

Deyonta Davis posted 14 points (7-10 FGs), 9 boards and 4 blocks in 25 mins

Jarrell Martin posted 11 points (5-13 FGs), 5 boards in 27 mins

Wade Baldwin IV posted 9 points (4-12 FGs), 12 assists, 6 boards and 3 steals in 34 mins (4 turnovers)

Troy Williams led Iowa with 32 points (12-15 FGs; 5-7 3P) in just 18 mins off the bench

Wade Baldwin IV posted 9 points (4-12 FGs), 12 assists, 6 boards and 3 steals in 34 mins (4 turnovers)

Now if they could just learn how to get the W.  Nice stats though.

I think it is big that those key guys will get ample playing time together. That will hopefully help them gel as a unit so moving forward there is common ground for that bench squad.

Pretty much a short summary of what we already know:

TroyW should be on the Grizz bench and can really make contributions

DD has potential to be a starter in the future

Jarrell has trouble making shots and finishing at the rim

Bqldwin is not a good shooter and is turnover prone but seems to be good at running an offense

After reading this, I'm definitely looking forward to the D-League team at the Landers Center.

I would definitely pay $5-10 to watch those type of guys play there, and I could probably get to watch them up close.

Man watch someone good like the Warriors pick up Williams

My biggest fear, especially after seeing what happened with Yogi Farrell.

Smdh...

My biggest fear, especially after seeing what happened with Yogi Farrell.

At minimum it is clear that Williams is a better prospect that Martin or Baldwin, but the latter two are retained because of their first round status.

At minimum it is clear that Williams is a better prospect that Martin or Baldwin, but the latter two are retained because of their first round status.

Williams does appear to be a much better prospect than Martin..not so sure about Baldwin just yet. Let's not forget how bad Conley was his first few years.

Williams does appear to be a much better prospect than Martin..not so sure about Baldwin just yet. Let's not forget how bad Conley was his first few years.

Wow, this brings me back to another time. If I had to complain about something, I wish Conley didn't take so long to improve though.

Williams is not a better prospect than either.

I still think Jarell will be a player in this league. I also think someone shook his confidence in himself.

Williams is not a better prospect than either.

He who told me several times that James Ennis would not be in a playoff teams rotation this year.

I bet if they stay in the Dleague Williams will continue to out perform them.

Jarrell put up a 32 point & 6 rebound game the other day too.

Each of these guys have had a great game here and there. I think all these Grizzlies players can be rotational guys for the team.

There's no point in arguing against other people's opinions at this point. It's a waste of time. The fact is, Troy Williams is no longer a Grizzly because Andrew Harrison and/or Wade Baldwin aren't good enough to be trusted at this point.

Jarrell put up a 32 point & 6 rebound game the other day too.

Each of these guys have had a great game here and there. I think all these Grizzlies players can be rotational guys for the team.

I don't disagree with that. The real question is, assuming you only have 1 roster spot open, which of the 3 do you keep and why? My vote goes to Williams. He's all heart and brings that athletic spark off the bench 

There's no point in arguing against other people's opinions at this point. It's a waste of time. The fact is, Troy Williams is no longer a Grizzly because Andrew Harrison and/or Wade Baldwin aren't good enough to be trusted at this point.

Apparently the FO trusts them more than Williams.  Otherwise they would have let one of them go, or traded.

Apparently the FO trusts them more than Williams. Otherwise they would have let one of them go, or traded.

They have long term deals. They were given these deals in hopes that one could man the position. They both failed but they still have the contracts.

I don't disagree with that. The real question is, assuming you only have 1 roster spot open, which of the 3 do you keep and why? My vote goes to Williams. He's all heart and brings that athletic spark off the bench 

You don't have to pick. Martin, Davis, and Jarrell have guaranteed contracts. I think you can add Williams to the team next (assuming nobody snatches him up) in place of Carter or ever TA depending how much they are willing to spend on Jam. Hell, they could make the decision to let Jam go and let Martin take his place if the asking price get too high.

I'm very curious what they are looking to do with Jam, Carter, ZBo, and TA. Especially with guys like Troy Williams out there floating plus Rade coming over. Right now I can see the team offering Jam, then keep ZBo, then maybe offer a vet min to TA. That might not keep TA so he might walk to a contender.

The new CBA allows teams to have 2 two-way players on the team as well. So we could add Williams to one of those contracts to keep him but give us some flexibility. Rade could find himself in that position as well.

My hope is Harrison gets moved somewhere before the start of next season to open up the roster a little bit more and give Baldwin a real opportunity.

You don't have to pick. Martin, Davis, and Jarrell have guaranteed contracts. I think you can add Williams to the team next (assuming nobody snatches him up) in place of Carter or ever TA depending how much they are willing to spend on Jam. Hell, they could make the decision to let Jam go and let Martin take his place if the asking price get too high.

I'm very curious what they are looking to do with Jam, Carter, ZBo, and TA. Especially with guys like Troy Williams out there floating plus Rade coming over. Right now I can see the team offering Jam, then keep ZBo, then maybe offer a vet min to TA. That might not keep TA so he might walk to a contender.

The new CBA allows teams to have 2 two-way players on the team as well. So we could add Williams to one of those contracts to keep him but give us some flexibility. Rade could find himself in that position as well.

My hope is Harrison gets moved somewhere before the start of next season to open up the roster a little bit more and give Baldwin a real opportunity.

I get what you're saying that you don't have to pick 1. I was merely talking in a hypothetical situation, which would you choose. 

Regarding Jam, VC, Zbo, & TA, I think it all comes down to how the market goes with Jam. As long as a team doesn't throw an outrageous amount of money/yrs at him, I would imagine we'd re-sign him to a decent offer, then let VC & TA go. Re-sign Z-bo for a yr with a team option for a 2nd, pick up Williams, then keep a roster spot open for flexibility. Maybe even pick up a free agent backup PG if there's any decent one's out there.

Whatever happens, I think there will be a bit of a roster shakeup next season.

I get what you're saying that you don't have to pick 1. I was merely talking in a hypothetical situation, which would you choose. 

Regarding Jam, VC, Zbo, & TA, I think it all comes down to how the market goes with Jam. As long as a team doesn't throw an outrageous amount of money/yrs at him, I would imagine we'd re-sign him to a decent offer, then let VC & TA go. Re-sign Z-bo for a yr with a team option for a 2nd, pick up Williams, then keep a roster spot open for flexibility. Maybe even pick up a free agent backup PG if there's any decent one's out there.

Whatever happens, I think there will be a bit of a roster shakeup next season.

I agree. Jam will be the linchpin for everything.