Sign in to follow this  
LuvThem Grizzlies

I Think Baldwin Is Starting To Come On

Recommended Posts

tangogriz    0
3 hours ago, Iron Mike said:

Hard to be a backup 4 with those dinosaur arms, normal athleticism, and bad IQ.

Looks like a 3rd string player to me.

Rabb is a better fit.

I like Rabb but see a lot of adjustment challenges early on. He'll need strengthening and a deadly jumper.

Martin's normal wingspan is heavily outweighed by his extraordinary agility for his size.

I see progress in his shot, IQ, hustle and especially willingness to mix it up inside.

Right now, Martin is foul-prone but so is Green. They could be a good tag team for the first team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipc3    0
14 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Iavaroni pick.

No. Chris Wallace was the GM when Conley was drafted. If anything you could say that was a Jerry West pick more than Chris' but the truth is Wallace has to be given credit for that pick if people are going to criticize him for the Thabeet pick and the rest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas    0
54 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

No. Chris Wallace was the GM when Conley was drafted. If anything you could say that was a Jerry West pick more than Chris' but the truth is Wallace has to be given credit for that pick if people are going to criticize him for the Thabeet pick and the rest. 

Actually the one pass I give Wallace is Thabeet. That was all Heisley and Jerry West.

I remember reading that Iavaroni was the driving force behind the Conley pick but okay, I'll give you that one. So it has been a decade since he has drafted a contributor, and he tried desperately to jettison the one he did hit on in his second season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipc3    0
10 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Actually the one pass I give Wallace is Thabeet. That was all Heisley and Jerry West.

I remember reading that Iavaroni was the driving force behind the Conley pick but okay, I'll give you that one. So it has been a decade since he has drafted a contributor, and he tried desperately to jettison the one he did hit on in his second season.

DeMarre Carroll turned into an intelligent pick in the mid first round. Greivis Vasquez has had a decent career at the end of the first round. Tony Wroten was coming on before he destroyed his knee even getting some triple doubles along the way. 

I'm not justifying Wallace's draft picks mind you. They just haven't been as bad as described earlier. Considering where he's been drafting the only disaster was not being the GM and becoming a yes man when Heisley insisted on Thabeet. A real GM would have risked his job to stop him from that mistake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bhoyal    0

So ... the team was +13 with Baldwin on the floor and -18 with Simmons on the floor last game BUT you don't see any posts about that, do you?  No talk about WB4's 21 points, his 8-11 from the field, his 2-3 from three, his 3-3 at the stripe,  his 7 rebounds...

 

I guess if his name was "Kobi" instead of "Wade"... maybe if he hadn't gone to an academic private college...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ndq0327    0
9 hours ago, bhoyal said:

So ... the team was +13 with Baldwin on the floor and -18 with Simmons on the floor last game BUT you don't see any posts about that, do you?  No talk about WB4's 21 points, his 8-11 from the field, his 2-3 from three, his 3-3 at the stripe,  his 7 rebounds...

 

I guess if his name was "Kobi" instead of "Wade"... maybe if he hadn't gone to an academic private college...

 

 

 

Pretty sure GTF gave him props in the Summer League thread but yea Baldwin had his best game good for him. But he shown hes not a pg... And that's kinda the reason he's here right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen    0
1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

Pretty sure GTF gave him props in the Summer League thread but yea Baldwin had his best game good for him. But he shown hes not a pg... And that's kinda the reason he's here right 

He's here to be a good player. The days of the traditional PG are long gone. Keep up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen    0

Am I the only one that always reads that I pop ad at the top of the screen as " I poop"

They should look into changing their logo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bhoyal    0

I'm pretty sure when he signed with Vandy, some of the recruiting sites listed him as either a shooting guard or a combo guard.

VU signed a kid that same class out of Wisconsin named Riley LaChance to be the PG and when WB4 turned pro, LaChance was moved back to PG.  Ironically, last season back at PG... LaChance shot a blazing 49% from three, best in the SEC.

(makes some sense, seeing as notorious shooter Bryce Drew became the coach replacing notorious jerk Kevin Stallings)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ndq0327    0
5 hours ago, Allen said:

He's here to be a good player. The days of the traditional PG are long gone. Keep up

Didn't say he wasn't a traditional pg hes not any kind of pg. Not a pass first pg, not a scoring pg, not a defensive pg, hes not a pg at all hes an undersize 2 that was labeled as a pg and that happens to play the pg position. Which is why he was brought here if they were just interested in a good basketball player I doubt they would have drafted him considering he wasn't the best available player at his spot.

And the days of traditional pgs aren't gone idk which NBA you are watching but the only position that may still be alive is pg. All the other positions have basically been blended but aside from the rare Lebron, Greek Freak, Ben Simmons style pgs that position is still being played by the same style player it always has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

Didn't say he wasn't a traditional pg hes not any kind of pg. Not a pass first pg, not a scoring pg, not a defensive pg, hes not a pg at all hes an undersize 2 that was labeled as a pg and that happens to play the pg position. Which is why he was brought here if they were just interested in a good basketball player I doubt they would have drafted him considering he wasn't the best available player at his spot.

And the days of traditional pgs aren't gone idk which NBA you are watching but the only position that may still be alive is pg. All the other positions have basically been blended but aside from the rare Lebron, Greek Freak, Ben Simmons style pgs that position is still being played by the same style player it always has.

What are you basing this off of? Ive seen baldwin throw pinpoint passes with a flick of the wrist. Running a team might be a differnt story, but he has the skill to make good passes. The main thing for him is to be a threat so that he can draw defender to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ndq0327    0
1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

What are you basing this off of? Ive seen baldwin throw pinpoint passes with a flick of the wrist. Running a team might be a differnt story, but he has the skill to make good passes. The main thing for him is to be a threat so that he can draw defender to him.

Have you not also seem him turn the ball over because of his lose dribble? Or what about the 2nd game where he over threw an outlet pass out of bounds? Have you noticed he cant finish going to the right? Im basing my opinion on my observations.... Im happy he can throw the occasional pin point pass but those passes dont outweigh all the other things he does wrong throughout the course of the game. 

 

Id rather he be a secondary playmaker and not the primary ball handler but im not sure if ive ever seen him playing next to a good pg so who knows how that looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will repeat what I said about Baldwin when we drafted him, a 2 guard that is too small to play the 2 and can't shoot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bhoyal    0

WB4 had a crappy game today.  OK.  It's been said.

But it was a win.  He can be crappy as long as we win.  If he's crappy in a loss, then we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lsugrizzfan    0
19 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I will repeat what I said about Baldwin when we drafted him, a 2 guard that is too small to play the 2 and can't shoot. 

Wade is a 6'4" SG who can't shoot worth a lick but has had a Hall of Fame career, Dwyane Wade. Wade Baldwin is no Dwyane Wade, but to say he is too small and can't shoot thus cannot play SG is to ignore one of the all time greats. I'm not sure Wade Baldwin will ever be a good NBA player. Every time I watch him, he looks as if he has no clue. But I am not ready to write him off because he is short for a SG or can't shoot. (Also Wade Baldwin has a longer wingspan and higher vertical than Dwyane Wade had at their respective combines)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dwash    0
1 hour ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Wade is a 6'4" SG who can't shoot worth a lick but has had a Hall of Fame career, Dwyane Wade. Wade Baldwin is no Dwyane Wade, but to say he is too small and can't shoot thus cannot play SG is to ignore one of the all time greats. I'm not sure Wade Baldwin will ever be a good NBA player. Every time I watch him, he looks as if he has no clue. But I am not ready to write him off because he is short for a SG or can't shoot. (Also Wade Baldwin has a longer wingspan and higher vertical than Dwyane Wade had at their respective combines)

Dwade was a great midrange shooter so you mean he cant shoot threes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Wade is a 6'4" SG who can't shoot worth a lick but has had a Hall of Fame career, Dwyane Wade. Wade Baldwin is no Dwyane Wade, but to say he is too small and can't shoot thus cannot play SG is to ignore one of the all time greats. I'm not sure Wade Baldwin will ever be a good NBA player. Every time I watch him, he looks as if he has no clue. But I am not ready to write him off because he is short for a SG or can't shoot. (Also Wade Baldwin has a longer wingspan and higher vertical than Dwyane Wade had at their respective combines)

I wrote him off before the draft because he's too short to be a SG and he doesn't know how to shoot to make up for it nor is athletic enough to make up for it plus his BBIQ is terrible. 

Horrible pick from day one, truly indefensible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I don't like Baldwin's shooting form.  Sometimes it looks as if he is using only his arms to shoot.  Watch his free throws, hardly any leg movement at all in his shooting motion.  I've seen him take shots a few times during play that look the same, shots that would normally be jumpers for most guys but look like a no leg set shot.  Sometimes he gets up in the air for a jumper, but the motion still looks a bit funny.  Maybe I'm wrong because there are some guys who were in the league a long time with the ugliest of shots (Shawn Marion comes to mind, and others) but I don't expect a lot of consistency with that motion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One good thing I'll say about Baldwin is that he has been gobbling up rebounds this SL. Always nice when your guards pitch in, esp. if Gasol is your 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ndq0327    0
1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Honestly I don't like Baldwin's shooting form.  Sometimes it looks as if he is using only his arms to shoot.  Watch his free throws, hardly any leg movement at all in his shooting motion.  I've seen him take shots a few times during play that look the same, shots that would normally be jumpers for most guys but look like a no leg set shot.  Sometimes he gets up in the air for a jumper, but the motion still looks a bit funny.  Maybe I'm wrong because there are some guys who were in the league a long time with the ugliest of shots (Shawn Marion comes to mind, and others) but I don't expect a lot of consistency with that motion.

Finally people are starting to notice Baldwin does not jump unless he has too that's why I have been discrediting his athleticism..He knows he has long arms and he uses it as a crutch to his detriment. He has no lift when he shoots so when he gets tired his shots are flat cause he isn't using his legs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dwash    0
1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

Finally people are starting to notice Baldwin does not jump unless he has too that's why I have been discrediting his athleticism..He knows he has long arms and he uses it as a crutch to his detriment. He has no lift when he shoots so when he gets tired his shots are flat cause he isn't using his legs

You dont have to jump to shoot (eg.Ginobili). You do have go be consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dwash said:

You dont have to jump to shoot (eg.Ginobili). You do have go be consistent.

Ginobili has way, way better shooting form than Baldwin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen    0
On 12/9/2016 at 11:51 AM, The Truth is OUT said:

 

Mario Chalmers, then Nick Van Exel.  What gives? Is this their penance?

Naw our young players will never improve no matter how many hours they put in  the gym. Just cut him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this