Sign in to follow this  
TheStephensonConundrum

Do We Have Assets To Go For Jahlil Okafor?

Just an overview, not that you guys don't know, but Embiid has shown he can play both the 4 and 5 spots, score inside and out and defend better than Okafor; Noel seems to be a better fit with him on defense, covering for Embiid against big lineups which allows him to take less punishment while Saric is just a better fit offensively with his combination of playmaking, running the floor, ballhandling and 3 point shooting ala Lamar Odom. It would make sense to develop those two guys moving forward. Adding to that is the trade for Ilyasova and the future return of Ben Simmons.

Maybe the Sixers, a team sorely lacking in veteran leadership and defensive identity, could be interested in the services of Tony Allen. Or maybe a team like the Toronto Raptors, reportedly interested in Zach Randolph, could help facilitate a trade.

Unless we are planning on trading zbo and TA in a package we dont have enough to trade for any player that is a known commodity. We can only swap role players or trade for old players

Bigs like Okafor who cannot defend are not considered great building blocks. Zbo was basically the last of a dying breed. 

Kanter is a big who has a great offensive game, but his defense is so bad that OKC cannot keep him on the floor for long periods of time. The big I would like to go after from Philly would be Noel. 

Bigs like Okafor who cannot defend are not considered great building blocks. Zbo was basically the last of a dying breed.

Kanter is a big who has a great offensive game, but his defense is so bad that OKC cannot keep him on the floor for long periods of time. The big I would like to go after from Philly would be Noel.

They would want a first for him too. But he'd be a perfect fit next to Zach or Marc he doesn't have the shooting ability as Green or Martin though. So where would he fit offensively

They would want a first for him too. But he'd be a perfect fit next to Zach or Marc he doesn't have the shooting ability as Green or Martin though. So where would he fit offensively

I think with Marc and Zbo both extending their range this season, having another stretch big out there with them at all times doesn't HAVE to happen. I know its something that's preferred, but we are still giving teams a different look. Having both Zbo and Marc out there at the same time was viewed more so as a strictly paint team. Right now? Marc is attempting more shots outside of the paint than inside. Zbo is still considered a paint player, but you still get the rim protection of Noel when Zach is out there. Zbo also has shown that he can knock down the 18 footer or the 3 ball. 

This would be more so of a defensive adjustment than looking at the offense. I feel like a lot of our games have been winnable, but due to having to make so many adjustments late in games due to defensive lapses is a big reason to why we lose. I'm completely fine with having Noel out there next to Marc or Zbo. At the same time, we can also use Davis, but it seems like the staff is content on not playing him. If we are planning to play Wright when he comes back, the spacing would be no different with Zbo/Wright or Wright/Gasol. 

Didn't know where else to post this but the Sixers tryin to move Okafor, again. It's funny when I heard they were tryin to move Speights I said to myself "we have to make that trade", sure enough it went down. I feel the same way again.

Baldwin/Martin/Wright/Daniels
for
Okafor/2nd rounder

It makes too much sense for both teams. Clears our roster logjam n gets us a legit 3rd big. Gets veteren help for the Sixers n some prospects they might actually be able to make somethin out of. Get it done FO, please.

2 hours ago, cdp said:

Didn't know where else to post this but the Sixers tryin to move Okafor, again. It's funny when I heard they were tryin to move Speights I said to myself "we have to make that trade", sure enough it went down. I feel the same way again.

Baldwin/Martin/Wright/Daniels
for
Okafor/2nd rounder

It makes too much sense for both teams. Clears our roster logjam n gets us a legit 3rd big. Gets veteren help for the Sixers n some prospects they might actually be able to make somethin out of. Get it done FO, please.

So that leaves the roster as 

Mike/Mario/Harrison

Ben/Tyreke/Selden

Parsons/Ennis/Rade/Brooks

JaM/Davis/Rabb

Gasol/Okafor

I would be good with the trade you propose.  no way in hades Philly does it.  Okafor is talented enough to be worth an investment and we are literally losing nothing in the trade.  

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

So that leaves the roster as 

Mike/Mario/Harrison

Ben/Tyreke/Selden

Parsons/Ennis/Rade/Brooks

JaM/Davis/Rabb

Gasol/Okafor

I would be good with the trade you propose.  no way in hades Philly does it.  Okafor is talented enough to be worth an investment and we are literally losing nothing in the trade.  

That roster lacks scoring, rebounding, and D. Parsons and Ben are hurt, so you should put Tyreke in at the starting 2 and Ennis in at the 3. Reke will be hurt by December with that amount of minutes. By that time Ben might be back (can't shoot though). Anything Parsons gives you going forward is gravy, but he's done. Those moves kill any bench whatsoever you may have if Parsons and Ben were healthy. I hope Ennis gains confidence and Seldon gets some run, but this squad simply lacks NBA competitive talent , especially in the West. But I hope I'm wrong.

37 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

That roster lacks scoring, rebounding, and D. Parsons and Ben are hurt, so you should put Tyreke in at the starting 2 and Ennis in at the 3. Reke will be hurt by December with that amount of minutes. By that time Ben might be back (can't shoot though). Anything Parsons gives you going forward is gravy, but he's done. Those moves kill any bench whatsoever you may have if Parsons and Ben were healthy. I hope Ennis gains confidence and Seldon gets some run, but this squad simply lacks NBA competitive talent , especially in the West. But I hope I'm wrong.

Man I hope you aren't right about Parsons but there's no reason to think he will come back from his injuries.  That was a thorough assessment though.

18 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

We don't know if Parsons is still hurt and he has been cleared to play. 

Everything else you describe is the same even if we keep Martin/Baldwin, Daniels, and Wright.    So why not trade them all to clear up roster space for a 21yr old #3 pick?   You are the same person that complains that we don't have a low-post scoring threat.  That's actually Okafor's specialty.   He is also much more of a true center than either Davis or Wright are too.    

I am not saying trade for him and make him some centerpiece of the offense.   I am saying he is only 21 and has proven ability to score in the NBA and IMHO a better investment as a player over Daniels, Baldwin, Martin and Wright.    Aren't we basically using the same type of logic with Ben McLemore why not see if change of scenery works for Okafor too.   

Reality is if we are involved in a trade of any of our scrub players we were not going to receive a stud in return. 

22 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

We don't know if Parsons is still hurt and he has been cleared to play. 

Everything else you describe is the same even if we keep Martin/Baldwin, Daniels, and Wright.    So why not trade them all to clear up roster space for a 21yr old #3 pick?   You are the same person that complains that we don't have a low-post scoring threat.  That's actually Okafor's specialty.   He is also much more of a true center than either Davis or Wright are too.    

I am not saying trade for him and make him some centerpiece of the offense.   I am saying he is only 21 and has proven ability to score in the NBA and IMHO a better investment as a player over Daniels, Baldwin, Martin and Wright.    Aren't we basically using the same type of logic with Ben McLemore why not see if change of scenery works for Okafor too.   

Reality is if we are involved in a trade of any of our scrub players we were not going to receive a stud in return. 

Parsons was "cleared to play" last year and all he did was drag his leg around for 20 games, effectively killing the Griz season. I hope he's healed, but he won't give the Griz what they need to be competitive in the West. He's just not the player for that.

I have no problem with the Grizz players you propose to trade, but I do not think the Sixers are working any deal that doesn't send them back picks. Plus, Okafor represents more upside than any of the players you proposed in the trade. I just don't think the Sixers play ball in that deal.

I agree the issues  I raise are the same whether those players are traded or not, hence my concern about the roster in general. I just think it was a grave mistake to go away from G-N-G at this point, seeing as though there wasn't much trade value for either Z-Bo or TA, and thus they walked for nothing.The players that were added do not make this roster any better than it was before. In fact, I would argue, the roster is far worse of now than before .

1 hour ago, Blackwatch said:

Parsons was "cleared to play" last year and all he did was drag his leg around for 20 games, effectively killing the Griz season. I hope he's healed, but he won't give the Griz what they need to be competitive in the West. He's just not the player for that.

I have no problem with the Grizz players you propose to trade, but I do not think the Sixers are working any deal that doesn't send them back picks. Plus, Okafor represents more upside than any of the players you proposed in the trade. I just don't think the Sixers play ball in that deal.

I agree the issues  I raise are the same whether those players are traded or not, hence my concern about the roster in general. I just think it was a grave mistake to go away from G-N-G at this point, seeing as though there wasn't much trade value for either Z-Bo or TA, and thus they walked for nothing.The players that were added do not make this roster any better than it was before. In fact, I would argue, the roster is far worse of now than before .

To be fair it wasn't my proposal it's CDP's.   I am taking a wait and see approach with the team this season.  I can see a scenario where things go horribly wrong and i can also see scenario where it goes right.     

Difference in your and my opinions is that i had the same viewpoint if TA and Zbo were still on the team.