Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

Espn: Conley And Grizz Agree On 5Yr, $153 Million Deal

This may have already been posted in this thread:

Top 11 MC moments, Pt 1

Top 11 MC moments, Pt 2

Can't find it on YouTube, but I still think the best is when he drove past Shaq for the game winner, when Shaq was playing for Phoenix.  That was very early in GnG when Conley was still growing into the player he has become.

Great moments.  He may not be the right guy to be a main scorer, but I still think that he's a great go to guy when you need an important bucket.  Clutch.

I think the game you're speaking of was when Shaq was playing for the Cavs and Mike hit the game winner.

Conley has the option or the team?

Neither. Basically the early termination can be evoked if Mike plays less than 55 games in 2020. But this only affects about 12 million of the 34 million due.

• 2020 $22,426,383 guaranteed, becomes fully guaranteed if plays 55 games in 2018-19 or 2019-20 (@EricPincus)

fanboyslim    0

Neither. Basically the early termination can be evoked if Mike plays less than 55 games in 2020. But this only affects about 12 million of the 34 million due.

• 2020 $22,426,383 guaranteed, becomes fully guaranteed if plays 55 games in 2018-19 or 2019-20 (@EricPincus)

That's a different thing. An ETO can only be exercised by the player and there's a deadline on June 29 after the 4th contract season. If it's exercised the last season in the contract is waived and Conley becomes a free agent in 2020. It has nothing to do with salary guarantees.

That's a different thing. An ETO can only be exercised by the player and there's a deadline on June 29 after the 4th contract season. If it's exercised the last season in the contract is waived and Conley becomes a free agent in 2020. It has nothing to do with salary guarantees.

So technically Mike has a 5 year 141 million dollar guaranteed contract and that he can choose to terminate the 5th year just like he would if he had a player option.

I don't really get the ETO vs. Player option since it seems that they do basically the same thing. I know that there are a few rules that goven each, but not sure why they would choose the ETO over the players option and vice versa. 

Okay so I figured this out. A player option cannot be lower than the previous seasons. Whereas a ETO don't have that restriction.

So in order for the grizzlies to make only 22 million fully guaranteed they had to use the ETO rather than the player option, which basically means that, in this case, the ETO benefited the grizzlies and not Mike as much since he REALLY only has 141 Million fully guaranteed.  

fanboyslim    0

Okay so I figured this out. A player option cannot be lower than the previous seasons. Whereas a ETO don't have that restriction.

So in order for the grizzlies to make only 22 million fully guaranteed they had to use the ETO rather than the player option, which basically means that, in this case, the ETO benefited the grizzlies and not Mike as much since he REALLY only has 141 Million fully guaranteed.  

That's the gist of it. Here's a good summary of the differences between ETOs and player options:

http://midlevelexceptional.com/2014/07/17/difference-early-termination-options-player-options/