Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

Espn: Conley And Grizz Agree On 5Yr, $153 Million Deal

We have a bench full of young prospects to develop, which is what so many people have been clamoring for around here.

This is not about money. This is not about depth. People need to just own that the only argument against Mike Conley is Mike Conley. There are some people around here that are just convinced he is trash in disguise and can't wait to see him go so we can upgrade.

Im not one of those. I actually like Mike, but Im not one of those that say he is better than the elite pgs in the league also.

My problemn with the contract is only that we could have adressed our needs and use that money better. Look only guys with star potential or established stars will get that even in next year market, MC dont deserve that.

go back to 2008 and no way anyone in Memphis would believe he'd be highest paid player in league someday - remembering how unpopular he was for awhile now he's one of the most coveted players in the league this off season.

its pretty incredible how far his ascent has been- and the team's- kind of mind boggling if you remember the crap old days when we stunk and everyone except me and a few others hated Mike being on team

So a roleplayer who last season averaged 15 and 6 on 42% shooting 36% from 3 and was garbage on defense, has never been dominate or elite in any aspect offensively or defensively, has never been the best player on his own team in the regular season or postseason is as of now the highest paid player in NBA history.

D6qabSQ.gifm2XjBg7.gifjxUF01M.gif

You can't make this stuff up.

Something that seems to have been lost on folks in all this - we still had his Bird rights.  Doesn't that mean that re-signing him doesn't count against our cap?

I'm not saying we're about to become free spenders - but that's a good thing.  And any PG we would have replaced him with would have had to have been signed without that caveat.  Meaning less wiggle room.

He had a cap hold of 14.5 million. I dont think that was "lost" on hardly anyone here.

Enough with the "biggest contract ever" nonsense. The only reason it is is because of the huge increase in the cap and nobody in the higher tier of FAs (10+ years veterans) is signing 5-year contracts.

Lebron could get a $191M contract this season if he wasn't holding on for a $217M contract next season.

You know what's funny? The 2nd highest contract atm is Lillard who also isn't an all star. Kind of really funny. The two highest contracts in the NBA are two non-all stars that would have been all stars in the East like quite a few times. 

You know what's funny? The 2nd highest contract atm is Lillard who also isn't an all star. Kind of really funny. The two highest contracts in the NBA are two non-all stars that would have been all stars in the East like quite a few times. 

Wait a minute, Lillard whined his way on to the All-Star Team once before, so he has been an All-Star.

Lillard has played four seasons, is already a two time all-star and could have easily made it this year when he put up 25 and 7 and made a team win that had no business winning. Not comparable, Lillard was clearly playing at an all-star level last year.

Enough with the excuses, Conley needs to be flirting with 20 points or 10 assists plus be the main reason for winning games for the next 2 or 3 years. 

Wait a minute, Lillard whined his way on to the All-Star Team once before, so he has been an All-Star.

lol my bad. Anyway he was in as a replacement for BG. But anyway they would have bene there a lot of times if West wasn't West. 

2 time all star

All Nba second team this past year

Lillard has played four seasons, is already a two time all-star and could have easily made it this year when he put up 25 and 7 and made a team win that had no business winning. Not comparable, Lillard was clearly playing at an all-star level last year.

Enough with the excuses, Conley needs to be flirting with 20 points or 10 assists plus be the main reason for winning games for the next 2 or 3 years.

Totally agree. I hope he likes to play with pressure because that will be the case from now on.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.  Congratulations Mike!  Don't worry about these fantasy-league fans, just keep playing your game & leading the Grizzlies to victory.

Or what?

Or what?

:lol:

Seriously, my biggest problem with the contract is that now I can look forward to several seasons of hate filled posts about Mike Conley from posters who would have done the exact same thing if they were in Conley's shoes.  It won't even matter if we're winning, everyone will want a stat padder.

This is insane. 30+ mil a year for a player who is not (and most likely never will be) a star in this league. More than 30% of the salary cap for a middle of the class PG. Wooo..That will hurt the Grizzlies in many ways.

Cripples the franchise, want me to chew your food too?

No, I'm waiting for you to tell me how you're going to stop Conley from getting the contract, otherwise why are you complaining about something you have no control over. Cripples the franchise? That's funny because we are still going to sign at least 1 more FA this off-season and even with Conley's contract we will have cap space next offseason. How does that cripple the franchise?

We get it. You don't want Conley nor Parsons. We get it. What is your grand plan? Who are you going to get with no Conley and no Parsons and what contract what you offer?

This is insane. 30+ mil a year for a player who is not (and most likely never will be) a star in this league. More than 30% of the salary cap for a middle of the class PG. Wooo..That will hurt the Grizzlies in many ways.

exactly I get all the pros but the cons on this deal are just bigger .This will hurt us for years to come probably 8 to 10 years

No, I'm waiting for you to tell me how you're going to stop Conley from getting the contract, otherwise why are you complaining about something you have no control over. Cripples the franchise? That's funny because we are still going to sign at least 1 more FA this off-season and even with Conley's contact we will have cap space next offseason. How does that cripple the franchise?

We get it. You don't want Conley nor Parsons. We get it. What is your grand plan? Who are you going to get with no Conley and no Parsons and what contract what you offer?

Im telling you.