Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

Espn: Conley And Grizz Agree On 5Yr, $153 Million Deal

I really dont care "how much Mike Conley gets" in terms of living up the deal or whatever.

A. I feel like better ways to spread out that money could have come available. However this is debatable due to rising market.

B. Really most importantly he likely wont be very good by year 4 or 5. Maybe earlier. His decline the last two years with the amount of NBA minutes he has played imo was too big to ignore like the Grizzlies just did.

Thats the issue for me. Not just earning his money or whatver I could care less what these guys bank accounts look like.

I'm okay with contract IF we can develop the young guys and possibly find a gem among Wade Harrison or TWroten.

Reality is we were either giving that money to Batum HBarnes or Fouenier. We aren't going to get even B-level type alpha like Derozan.

Somebody on Grizz was gonna get that money it may as well be the one dude that actually DOES try to improve every season and isn't a prima Donna.

We just need to have one of the young guys ready when mike inevitably falls off.

But we know one thing for sure Mike unlike Marc is going to work his butt off to prove he was worth it:

I'm really hoping Wade Baldwin becomes the stud he talks himself up to be.

All our young guys must give us some production to we have a chance.

I'm okay with contract IF we can develop the young guys and possibly find a gem among Wade Harrison or TWroten.

Reality is we were either giving that money to Batum HBarnes or Fouenier. We aren't going to get even B-level type alpha like Derozan.

Somebody on Grizz was gonna get that money it may as well be the one dude that actually DOES try to improve every season and isn't a prima Donna.

We just need to have one of the young guys ready when mike inevitably falls off.

But we know one thing for sure Mike unlike Marc is going to work his butt off to prove he was worth it:

The reality is we would be trying to give that money to Batum, HBarnes or Evan F., but we would have been limited by the salary cap.

Because Conley is our own FA, we could exceed the salary cap, thus allowing the Grizzlies to spend more.

The reality is we could have been the Mavs who for years have been trying to land people with their attractive cap space, but look to now start to unloading for hopes of the lottery.

costarica2    0

I love Conley very much but this deal is the worst I have ever seen.

Is impossible for Mike to live up to this contract and I'm afraid this will set us back for years.

130 maybe but 150 no way.

The reality is we would be trying to give that money to Batum, HBarnes or Evan F., but we would have been limited by the salary cap.

Because Conley is our own FA, we could exceed the salary cap, thus allowing the Grizzlies to spend more.

The reality is we could have been the Mavs who for years have been trying to land people with their attractive cap space, but look to now start to unloading for hopes of the lottery.

Exactly, that is what people don't seem to get. If we didn't re-sign Conley, we would have had to spend that money in another way to reach the $85 mil salary floor. I'd rather have Conley and Parsons than giving Eric gordon $20 mil and Barnes $25 mil or whatever.  Does it give me a warm and fuzzy to see the team spend that much on Conley, not really, but we didn't have much of a choice. it just is what it is and we need to move forward, nothing anyone on this board can do about it. The people with actual money thought he was worth it so we just need to accept it and move on.

yeah those poor mavs  , they only won a ring and have been good for a long time,  they have mised the playoff once in like 15 year, we would be lucky as hell to have a run like that with out ever rebuilding and tanking.

Benji    0

I remember when everyone was bashing Conley's last contract. Now it looks like a steal.

This is a new NBA. You cannot compare new contracts this summer to existing contracts of superstars. Just wait a couple years and this will be NBD, especially after LeBron, Durant, Curry, and Anthony Davis get PAID.

Dwash    0

yeah those poor mavs fans , they only won a ring and have been good for a long time

Yeah the Mavs for homeruns every year and just get stopgaps in between when they miss. The result is still playoffs every time. Which is the Grizz ceiling too the Mavs just do it and keep cap room for next year.

Yeah the Mavs for homeruns every year and just get stopgaps in between when they miss. The result is still playoffs every time. Which is the Grizz ceiling too the Mavs just do it and keep cap room for next year.

it works too , we hear so much about the grizz being so good , well the mavs  made 2 finals and won a div/conf title a few times along the way ...   , 6 years of playoff for the grizz is better than 15 years for the mavs because we got chandler parsons and they struck out on a few stars ...... gimmie a break lol .

yeah those poor mavs  , they only won a ring and have been good for a long time,  they have mised the playoff once in like 15 year, we would be lucky as hell to have a run like that with out ever rebuilding and tanking.

The Mavs strategy after winning that ring was to strip down the core and open up cap space because they feared their core was too old.

Cuban didn't even let them defend the title.

They won the title because they weren't trying to strip down their core, but were adding pieces to it.  Cuban changed plans after the title.

some of yall need to read this piece :: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/grizzlies-conley-reportedly-agree-to-nba-record-153m-deal-things-to-know/

might learn a thing or two ...

That is a fantastic article.  Required reading for the namby pambys around here who are screaming the sky is falling.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.  This says it all.

Congratulations to Mike Conley.  Take the money and run, dude.  He is our PG.  Is he the best PG in the league?  No.  But he is our PG.  And he's been doing a fine job for us for years now.  I have said it in the past, and I'll say it again, but in terms of importance to the overall team, in terms of "if he goes, we go", Mike Conley is our most vital linchpin. 

Injuries - you have to deal with them, but you can't make plans based on their possibility.  We are doing something to our franchise I thought impossible just a few short weeks ago.

This team is being transformed.  The only question is whether or not the Grizzlies are going to complete the transformation this season or next.

But think about this; Tony Allen as our starting 2 now, on a transition team, is a very different creature than Tony Allen the halfcourt guy. 

Zach Randolph has now gone from being our bread n' butter in the GnG era to the biggest question mark in the new one.  How does Z-bo fit into this new look?  And yet, he's still got an 18+ per, still brings you 15/8. 

Tonight we stand at:

Conley/Wroten/Baldwin

Allen/Carter

Parsons/

Zach Randolph/Jam Green/Jarell Martin

Gasol/Wright/Deyonta Davis

I really do expect to see us shore up some depth at the wing, although not necessarily a "pure" SF.  But look at that big man rotation.  We are not 6 deep.  But we have 6 players who all have a case for some PT. 

Yeah - I'm really beginning to wonder if Z-bo is going to be here next year or not.  We may see a PF by committee, or we may see Wright play a somewhat healthy season, or Jam or Jarell step it up another notch or two.  But we need some wing depth.  It's possible we could re-sign Barnes, but I'm still betting Ennis is coming back.

In any event - we are very close to looking very different next season.

ShaneAus    0

Conley might be really good in Fiz's system. We don't know till we see it. Is he overpaid? Yeah but it was kind of necessary for us to keep him. 

Injuries are going to happen. I mean Curry was glass and then boom no injuries. We've seen players come back from big injuries like Bogut, Horford, Kevin Durant (x2), Paul, Griffin and so on. Injuries are a risk and you have to go for it thinking well then if injuries happen they happen.  It's sports. 

fanboyslim    0

If the Parsons and Conley contracts have the 1st year at the long-term average (23/Parsons, 30/Conley), then we are already over the 94mil cap by about 5mil (not even including Carter's 4.1mil) or so.

So what're we gunna do now?

I really like both players, but I don't see how we're going to round out our roster with both guys being so overpaid.

The maximum amount they can be paid the first year is $22.1M and $26.5M respectively. The total contract amount comes from applying 4.5% raises to Parsons and 7.5% to Conley. Do the math.

tjazz22    0

There is a high correlation between winning and being an all star.

It is no longer good enough for him to put up 15 and 6 even if the team wins. Conley is now at the level where he has to do both, where he has to be responsible for wins and not just play a part.

He is getting paid and has been treated as a franchise player, the bare minimum of what is acceptable is all star level play.

Period!

Thomas    0

Mike's contract will be a$$ in year four or five, but really who cares? We'll be entering a massive rebuilding phase, so having an albotross deal like that won't matter - we'll suck either way because our core will be over the hill.

So in my eyes, this is a great deal. We needed to do whatever we could to get Conley back if we wanted to stay competitive, and with him and Parsons in the fold, it's time to make some noise.

Dwash    0

Mike's contract will be a$$ in year four or five, but really who cares? We'll be entering a massive rebuilding phase, so having an albotross deal like that won't matter - we'll suck either way because our core will be over the hill.

So in my eyes, this is a great deal. We needed to do whatever we could to get Conley back if we wanted to stay competitive, and with him and Parsons in the fold, it's time to make some noise.

I still think a buch of stopgap moves like Rondo/Lin, Afflalo/Henderson and Joe Johnson and Ennis could have keep them as a competitive playoff team...but whatever.

You know why am angry and dont get that logic you guys are imputing...

No matter if we have a amazing starting 5, if we do not have a solid bench we cant compete. We spent to much on both those signs, in special MC.

You know why am angry and dont get that logic you guys are imputing...

No matter if we have a amazing starting 5, if we do not have a solid bench we cant compete. We spent to much on both those signs, in special MC.

We have a bench full of young prospects to develop, which is what so many people have been clamoring for around here. 

This is not about money.  This is not about depth.  People need to just own that the only argument against Mike Conley is Mike Conley.  There are some people around here that are just convinced he is trash in disguise and can't wait to see him go so we can upgrade.

Something that seems to have been lost on folks in all this - we still had his Bird rights.  Doesn't that mean that re-signing him doesn't count against our cap?

I'm not saying we're about to become free spenders - but that's a good thing.  And any PG we would have replaced him with would have had to have been signed without that caveat.  Meaning less wiggle room.