Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

Espn: Conley And Grizz Agree On 5Yr, $153 Million Deal

There is a high correlation between winning and being an all star.

It is no longer good enough for him to put up 15 and 6 even if the team wins. Conley is now at the level where he has to do both, where he has to be responsible for wins and not just play a part.

He is getting paid and has been treated as a franchise player, the bare minimum of what is acceptable is all star level play.

Boogie Cousin? The Brow? I see your point.

Deals like this lead to lockouts!!

I just said the same thing to a buddy of mine. Another 55-60 game season incoming of we're lucky.

On a positive note, I'm actually kind of excited for this upcoming season. Way more than the last one.

This is absolutely ridiculous. As much as I like Conley, there's no way on Earth he's worth this kind of money. Even with a higher cap, you can't justify paying $153 million to a guy who's never even made an All Star appearance, and who's stats are half of what players like Lebron/Curry/Durant put up each game.

Think about this: what we just paid to Parsons and Conley today was the same cost as the FedexForum. Frankly, I would have preferred a new arena...

The fact he got 153 is all due to CW. If he had not run his mouth about how he would sign Conley or else there could have been some negotiating....maybe. 

But....Good for MC11!!

This is absolutely ridiculous. As much as I like Conley, there's no way on Earth he's worth this kind of money. Even with a higher cap, you can't justify paying $153 million to a guy who's never even made an All Star appearance, and who's stats are half of what players like Lebron/Curry/Durant put up each game.

Think about this: what we just paid to Parsons and Conley today was the same cost as the FedexForum. Frankly, I would have preferred a new arena...

A few things. LeBron has had cut deals to build teams around him. Curry's contract was cheap because of his ankles. He got injured like every year. Durant will get paid, massively paid in 2017 if he takes the 1 year with OKC and then takes the other OKC contract.

These guys will get paid when the cap rises again. 

Remember context. 

Good gracious!!!! Former owner Michael Heisley is turning over in his grave!!!! $153 millions!

How many games have he missed in the past 2 years? Don't even matter! Hey Mike can I borrow $5 dollars for a sandwich?

Congrats!!!!

We could have signed Curry with that kind of money! Hope it all works out for him and the team.

Well can't blame the team for going all out. We have blamed the team for going cheap a lot. Parsons, Conley, Gordon (please no) and some shrewd drafting. 

Is Gordon an upgrade over Lance or no?

And the real loser is the Coaches only making on average 4.1 million per year! OUCH!

A few things. LeBron has had cut deals to build teams around him. Curry's contract was cheap because of his ankles. He got injured like every year. Durant will get paid, massively paid in 2017 if he takes the 1 year with OKC and then takes the other OKC contract.

These guys will get paid when the cap rises again. 

Remember context. 

Your words went right over a lot of the heads of people reading this.

Context is too difficult of a concept for them to understand.

Terrible deal. Man Im angry Couldn't they give him 120-130 in 5 years?

Mike better become a diffirent player or will be 1st to hate on him and Wallace for that crap.

Move on then.  I'm rooting for Memphis.

The pressure is on Mike to have a big season. I hope he does, I love the guy.

He needs more than a big season, he needs 4 good seasons at least in a row.

Per Conrad Kaczmarek - "you can’t say Mike Conley isn’t worth $150m because if the Grizzlies didn’t give him the max, somebody else would have. therefore, he is."

Per Conrad Kaczmarek - "you can’t say Mike Conley isn’t worth $150m because if the Grizzlies didn’t give him the max, somebody else would have. therefore, he is."

no one else could give him that much money. 

no one else could give him that much money.

Totally agree. If we had give even the 130 I think that would be too much, but I could understand in the FA. Derozan and Drummond got about 20 mil. under MC contract; thats crazy.

He needs more than a big season, he needs 4 good seasons at least in a row.

Nope. Just needs 1, maybe 2.

After this season, Westbrook and Curry will eventually surpass in next year's massive market, and barring an injury, so will Rose. 

In 2018, Lowry and Chris Paul will surpass, and possibly others like Isaiah Thomas.  Lillard took his big money this year.

At that point, Grizz fans on this board will only be upset if Damian Lillard outplays Mike because they are totally rational like that, just like these past couple years when he was outplayed by others, but those other guys were paid more than him, and fans, in the warm, caring, and logical ways, expressed no displeasure because he was paid less.

Not true, the most any other team could offer him was 4 years, $114 mil, which the Mavs had planned on doing until Parsons signed right before Conley's meeting with the Mavs,

I really dont care "how much Mike Conley gets" in terms of living up the deal or whatever.

A. I feel like better ways to spread out that money could have come available. However this is debatable due to rising market.

B. Really most importantly he likely wont be very good by year 4 or 5. Maybe earlier. His decline the last two years with the amount of NBA minutes he has played imo was too big to ignore like the Grizzlies just did.

Thats the issue for me. Not just earning his money or whatver I could care less what these guys bank accounts look like.