Sign in to follow this  
Ndq0327

Name Me The Player The Grizz Can Sign For 9.4Mil

I have asked all the media members who believe Lance would be over paid at 9.4mil next season who else could they get for that money. No one has given me one surefire name that would come here for that.

I also had a conversation where it was said that it was too much of a risk to keep lance at his team option. At the same time maxing mike to 150mil was a risk they were willing to take. So I will ask here if the Grizz decline lances option for 1 yr at 9.4 who are they gonna for sure bring in that won't be overpaid as well?

For me, it's not who the Grizz can get for $9.4 million. It is "does Lance actually help us?" My answer is no. I don't care what the price is. He is a ball stopper/ over-dribbler that hinders any type of fluidity on offense. He gets his numbers at the expense of the team. I do not want him on this team. Same goes for Tony Wroten. Although it looks more and more like Chris Wallace is not of the same opinion. I think these decisions will come back to haunt us.

For me, it's not who the Grizz can get for $9.4 million. It is "does Lance actually help us?" My answer is no. I don't care what the price is. He is a ball stopper/ over-dribbler that hinders any type of fluidity on offense. He gets his numbers at the expense of the team. I do not want him on this team. Same goes for Tony Wroten. Although it looks more and more like Chris Wallace is not of the same opinion. I think these decisions will come back to haunt us.

We have two other ball stoppers on this team as well. Zbo and Marc! ZBo has been padding his stats for along time, but no one has been bothered by it before.

As much as Marc talks about playing the right way he is one of main people that slow down the offense by not making quick decisions with the ball.

We as a fanbase complain about not having players who can create their own shot then when we get one oh we don't like him he dribbles too much or he doesn't fit with the core four.

Yet this team has shown you that they run into patches where the only scoring play is throw it to zbo and see what he can do. Like why is there such a bias when it comes to new people who don't immediately assimilate to the status quo around here.

This team goes to the playoffs each year and is beat because their offense is predictable and they have a lack of scorers who can create for themselves. Yet this seems to be the only type of team that is accepted around here cause that style features or beloved core 4.

I think Lance can definitely help us out, at 20-24 minutes a game coming off the bence. Not saying we should pick up his option now, but it's a nice card to have in our back pocket if we have to play it.

Im all for keeping Lance and paying 9.4 mil. Hopefully he could mature with us just like ZBo did. He definitely has talent and when his maturity improves then we can definitely benefit from it. Although, that will take more than one season.

We have two other ball stoppers on this team as well Zbo and Marc ZBo has been padding his stats for along time, but no one has been bothered by it before.

As much as Marc talks about playing the right way he is one of main people that slow down the offense by not making quick decisions with the ball.

We as a fan base complain about not having players who can create their own shot then when we get one oh we don't like him he dribbles too much or he doesn't fit with the core four.

Yet this team has shown you that they run into patches where the only scoring play is throw it to zbo and see what he can do. Like why is there such a bias when it comes to new people who don't immediately assimilate to the status quo around here.

This team goes to the playoffs each year and is beat because their offense is predictable and the have a lack of scorers who can create for themselves. Yet this seems to be the only type of team that is accepted around here cause that style features or beloved core 4.

I find your rant hilarious. I never said anything about the core four or the team's style of play when it comes to Lance. I just spoke about how he does not help them team. You believe he helps because he can get his own shot. I would venture to guess most players could get their own shot if they took 18 seconds off the shot clock to do it.

As for the core 4, I was in favor of blowing them up last year, before everyone got hurt. The style of basketball that gives them the best chance to win is the slow down and bang style. Part of that is throwing the ball down low to ZBo and watching it stop. It is exactly why the offensive struggles to score. The changes in the rules in the NBA, the advances in scouting, all the information provided about player tendencies through the Stats SportsVU makes this offense easy to guard. It is why Joerger kept trying to change the offense.

Why some of the people on this board believe Lance was good for us last year is beyond my comprehension. What I saw was a guy who put up some average to maybe slightly above average numbers because he was the only option on the team (due to injuries). I also saw us go 3-18 in our last 21 games with Lance as the centerpiece of our bench. Yes plenty of our players were hurt. But that is an incredibly crappy number regardless of who is on your roster.

Agreed.  I don't think Lance does much to make us a better team.  We won't be able to find a star with the $9.4M, but I think that money would be better spent elsewhere.  

If we could realistically get Nicolas Batum then yea i could understand releasing Lance to have the caproom to obtain him.    But i don't think that's realistic plan of action.  

From a roster standpoint now that we added Wroten and appear to be adding Harrison too.     We now have Wade, TWroten, Tony, Jordan, and Harrison all with the ability to play SG spot and no true SF's.   

Mike/Andrew/TWroten

Wade/Tony/Adams 

That is the PG/SG rotation without Lance or Chalmers.   Unless we plan on waiving Adams and playing Tony at SF it's starting to get crowded with guys that need the ball to be effective.  Also now have multiple guys that can share ballhandling/playmaking duties with Mike at much cheaper than whatever Lance would command. 

Personally i would rather trade Tony than Lance but we know that isn't happening.   I think the difference between our opinion(NDQ and myself) and others is that we view Lance as a potential piece for the future Core.   They view him as just another role player.  As a role player only i can see the logic of using him as an asset to gain a true SF.    He is pretty much the only real asset we have.

To be fair asking Fiz to deal with developing Wade, Deyonta, Jarrell, Andrew, Twroten, and unlock Lance may be a bit much.   

I am still on team keep Lance simply because i believe he can be the dynamic scorer playmaker we need. 

Lance at 9.4 million is a bargain. He played on a depleted team last year. Let's see what he can do with a healthy team.

Like the Hornets two years ago or the Clippers last year?

Like the Hornets two years ago or the Clippers last year?

He played better for the Grizzlies than he ever did with them. Did you not even watch him play?

I think we should keep him.  He's a wild card, which is a good thing to have on a team that is predictable.  And we are definitely predictable!

He played better for the Grizzlies than he ever did with them. Did you not even watch him play?

I think you're missing the point that was made. That point is he didn't play well on those teams when they had a full roster yet he played well on a depleted Grizz team. Will he continue to play well once we are back at full strength or will he struggle like he did with Charlotte and the Clips?

The best course of action to take is to sign whoever you plan on signing and make any trades that you can make and then decide on if it's a good idea to bring Lance back depending on fit. Even if we don't pick up the option, I don't think there will be many suitors for Lance. He's left a bad smell in 3 cities already. He was okay on a depleted Grizz last year but who's to say he will be able to contribute if we make upgrades? It's pretty much the same situation with Tony Wroten. Wroten put up some nice numbers on a bad team in Philly before falling to injury. Lance put up nice numbers on a depleted Grizz team. 

Regardless, he will play primarily with the second unit. Let's see what he can do with Conley creating shots for him before we say he's not worth what he's getting paid. Memphis isn't a free agent haven. Lance is the kind of guy we need to try and embrace. Let Fizdale ger his hands on him then make a decision after this year.

Regardless, he will play primarily with the second unit. Let's see what he can do with Conley creating shots for him before we say he's not worth what he's getting paid. Memphis isn't a free agent haven. Lance is the kind of guy we need to try and embrace. Let Fizdale ger his hands on him then make a decision after this year.

So you say he will primarily play with the second unit and then say let's see what he can do with Conley creating shots for him? Is Conley going to be on the second unit or something? I get the feeling Lance would primarily dominate the ball on the second unit, so Conley isn't going to be creating many shots for him.

Regardless if Lance played well or not on those previous two teams, most people know he didn't particularly fit well on either team. 

Clipper fans continually mentioned how Doc underutilized him and he played with a ton of ball stoppers in the lineup (Rivers, Crawford, etc.). No way he was a good fit next to CP3 either considering CP3 needed the ball in his hands for most of the time. The same thing in Charlotte next to Kemba. It just didn't make sense. In Memphis where we could see a guy like Conley playing more off the ball? Yes, I believe he would fit well.

For a team that's starving for NBA starting caliber talent, we need to give him a chance this season. Unless we are promised to replace him with another starting caliber player and one of our young guys becomes a starting caliber player, I'll say keep him. Considering our success with drafted players compared to our success with players traded for, I'll take keeping Lance on board for the time being. I'll like to see how Fizdale can utilize him. 

As someone mentioned, if we have to move him in order to sign a big time free agent, so be it. Moving him only to bring in Lance Thomas or moving him for a trade exception that we will not use is wasting an asset IMO. 

I like lance for 9.4 million.  I like how he handled himself last year.  I'm not including anything i heard from the past.  Just know that after he plays his contract this year, he could get more money with the cap going up.  Might just be a one year deal with us, and i'd do unless there are problems behind doors that fans are not seeing.

A little off subject, but i liked matt barnes game this past year.  Hope we can retain him.

So you say he will primarily play with the second unit and then say let's see what he can do with Conley creating shots for him? Is Conley going to be on the second unit or something? I get the feeling Lance would primarily dominate the ball on the second unit, so Conley isn't going to be creating many shots for him.

No, I'm saying he will likely play primarily with the second unit. Also, he will also play with Conley. They can coexist.

If he were a perfect fit then I think I could justify some of the negatives such as being a headcase and also not being able to run plays in a half-court set.

Playing individual defense and playing Team defense are two different things and unfortunately I don't see him fitting into our team defense either

A little off subject, but i liked matt barnes game this past year.  Hope we can retain him.

Barnes sucked last year

LMAO!

Back on topic though I say keep Lance. We all know we aren't going to be able to sign anyone better. If we somehow run into the problem of too many good players wanting to sign here we can certainly figure something out then. 

If he were a perfect fit then I think I could justify some of the negatives such as being a headcase and also not being able to run plays in a half-court set.

Playing individual defense and playing Team defense are two different things and unfortunately I don't see him fitting into our team defense either

I don't understand how he wouldn't fit into our team defense, but he fit into the Pacers elite defense between 2012-2014. 

Barnes sucked last year

According to many fans throughout the history of grizz basketball, hasn't every bench player sucked ??? 

He is not a bad bench/role player.

Marc Gasol sucked last year if you want the truth.  From the beginning to the end, he let the team and the fans down.