Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Have The Grizzlies Held On Too Long?

People around the boards seem to have this belief that Memphis hasn't changed their roster enough to adapt to the league. Perhaps that is right if we are talking about the identity of the team. However they haven't been the most stable of franchises when it comes to roster turnover. That honor goes to San Antonio and Oklahoma City. 

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2016/story/_/id/15473213/thunder-followed-spurs-model-success-continuity

The takeaway, though, is what stability and continuity have bred: success. The past five seasons, the Spurs have the best overall record in the NBA, winning 74 percent of their games. The second-best overall record? The Thunder, winning 68 percent. In fact, across the four major sports, only the New England Patriots have a higher winning percentage than the Spurs the past five seasons.

"That familiarity with your teammates is definitely something that's underrated in this league," Durant said. "I think that's one thing the Spurs are really great at, is knowing who they want on their team and knowing it's going to take time to build a really good team."

I don't think the problem is holding on too long. I think the problem is not having done enough on the fringes to either bring in or groom an impact player in the past 5-6 years.

I agree with Acehigh. The team's sticking together hasn't been the problem. The problem was blowing the #2 draft pick back in 2009 when so many superb players were available and the Grizzlies took "He who shall not be named" instead.