Sign in to follow this  
Wells

Pick 11: Tombstone

For games 62-72 of the 2015-16 season...  

6 members have voted

1. 1. the Grizzlies win loss record will be...

• 10-1 or better. (Card carrying Sunshine Patrol member)
    • 9-2.
    • 8-3.
    • 7-4.
    • 6-5.
    • 5-6.
    • 4-7.
    • 3-8.
    • 9-2.
    • 1-10 or worse. (Charter member of the Miserables)

Wells    0

Welcome, one and all, to the seventh Pick thread of the 2015-16 NBA season, Pick 11 – Tombstone. First, allow me to congratulate the winner of the last set, smit-tay griz, with a fine job of prognosticating around trades and injuries.  Second, let me apologize for not getting this thread up until today, but life intervened last night and I was away from my computer.

The Grizzlies, through 61 games, stand at 37-24, thirteen games over 0.500, and comfortably in fifth place in the Western Conference playoff race.  While they have not already clinched a playoff spot like the Golden State Warriors and the San Antonio Spurs, the ESPN Basketball Power Index has them as one of five locks to make the playoffs in the West.  Facing thirty games without Marc Gasol, there were many who would not have believed that just a month ago.

With a whole new cast of characters, the Grizzlies just have to keep doing what they do.  In many ways, this season brings back memories of 2010-11 and the birth of Grit ‘n’ Grind.  A shaky start of the year, lots of shuffling around of players in the starting lineup trying to find chemistry, a season ending injury to a star player, and a deadline trade to solidify the rotation were features of that year and this one.  In that year and this, it comes down to doing the job in front of you, regardless of what obstacles are in your way.

When I made my picks for the entire season back at the beginning of October, and set the Pick ‘Em games, the original random draw for this set would have fallen on March 17th.  As I researched for my theme then, I realized that this was also the date of the Pick ‘Em game last season, and I didn’t want to reuse the birthday of Kurt Russell, no matter how much I love the basketball scene in Escape from L.A. 

So, I shifted up one game, to March 19th, where the Clippers escape L.A to come to the Grindhouse.  Coincidence struck a second time, as I discovered that March 19th was Wyatt Earp’s birth date.   Surely, the fact that Kurt Russell portrayed the marshal in the movie Tombstone confirmed that Fate approved of my choice.

So, fill your hands, partners, and let’s get to pickin’!

03-06 v. Suns – W.  The Suns beat the new look Grizz just a week ago, to break a thirteen game losing streak.  Brandan Wright was injured early in the game, and the Grizzlies failed to find new chemistry on the fly.  Earl Watson used to call Memphis home, but his team is not gonna shine on Sunday this time.

03-07 @ Cavaliers – L.  Second night of a travel back-to-back has the Grizz going to the “Mistake by the Lake” to face King James and his Court.  While I expect Born Ready to get in LBJ’s head and for Zach to crush KLove like usual, I just don’t see it being a win unless Tyronn Lue benches LeBron for ignoring his game plan.  Oh wait, LeBron sets the game plan, not the Cavs’ coach.  Guess that ain’t happening.

03-09 @ Celtics – L.  Second game on the road trip has the Blue Bears in Beantown to face Brad Steven’s Leprechauns.  It was a close game back in January in FedExForum, so the Ghost of Red Auerbach and home court gives the Celtics the edge in this one.

03-11 v. Pelicans – W.  Back to the friendly confines, and the Birds fly in from NOLA.  This is the last game between the Pels and Grizz this season, and our Bears complete the sweep against the Brow.

03-12 @ Hawks – L.  Another travel back-to-back against a strong Eastern Conference opponent as the fifth game in seven days?  Somebody making the schedule decided they needed to make life difficult for any bears coming out of hibernation in March.

03-14 @ Rockets – L.  Houston has been a mess this season, and Morey may be on the carpet in front of the owner at the end of the season.  His experiment with Ty Lawson was a failure, he lost Chandler Parsons, and the Beard and Dwight Howard don’t get along.  But Toyota Center has given the Grizz fits for years.  If something can go wrong, it will there.

03-16 v. T'wolves – W.  Young and talented versus old and experienced.  The meme is that the old guys win because they’ve know what to do at the end of the game while the young guys lose their composure.  I’ll go with that, even though Karl Anthony Townes is very impressive

03-17 @ Bucks – W.  Third travel back-to-back of the set.  Luckily, the Bucks are not as good as the Cavs and Hawks.  Venison dinner in Milwaukee for the Grizz.

03-19 v. Clippers – W.  Is Flake back by this game?  If so, I doubt the Flopper chemistry will be as good as it has been while he was out.  Keep the Clone on the bench and let the real Jeff Green play.   Grizzlies gun down the Clippers, holding them to 101.

03-21 @ Suns – W.  Back to the Valley of the Sun, on the first game of a three game road trip.  Jonny Badger gets schooled by Zach at the end for the win.

03-22 @ Lakers – W.  Last of the set is the fourth back-to-back of the set with a Tuesday game in Staples Center.  Luckily, neither Phil, Pau nor Shaq are walking out on the court this time to help the old Bean.  Three Shades of Blue overpower the Purple and Gold in this last showdown against Kobe.

That’s all eleven, and I’m calling 7-4, with the Floppers scoring 101.  Next!

Wells    0

Understatement of the year (So far) ^_^

Maybe, but the Cave game definitely was not disappointing.

I think I mentioned the 2010-11 season above and the coincidences and similarities to this season. Add in a underdog win against a top team in the League, on the road starring Tony Allen.

Wells    0

I never did a summary post on this thread, as the injury deluge broke again immediately afterwards.  Since the Grizzlies have already lost six games, The Stro Show has the win, no matter what happens the rest of the way.  I'll start working on a new thread for the last ten games.