Sign in to follow this  
tennesseessio

2 Rebuilding Trades

Memphis Trades: Marc Gasol

Boston Trades: David Lee, Terry Rozier, 2016 1st (from NJN - top 1 protected), 2016 2nd (76ers)

Memphis Trades: Mike Conley

Orlando Trades: CJ Watson, Andrew Nicholson, 2016 1st, 2nd 2017

- For Gasol we get a high lottery pick, a solid PG prospect and the likely 1st pick of the 2nd round. I don't think Boston would risk a shot a Ben Simmons so I left that pick top 1 protected. My dream choice would be Kris Dunn of Providence, but there's plenty of time to speculate on that. David Lee is an expiring so we end up saving a ton of room/money for a rebuild.

- Boston gets an all-star who would fit nicely with Brad Stevens team basketball culture. Rozier they don't really need with Thomas, Smart, and Turner who can play PG when needed. They will still have two 1sts and two 2nds in 2016.

- If they do happen to land #1 (Simmons), then we'd be screwed out of a high lotto pick so there would have to be some contingency in the trade to reimburse us. For example, we'd get both their other 1sts and a future 2nd or something amenable like that. It makes the whole thing kind of an interesting gamble.

- For Conley we get a likely mid-1st round pick, a future 2nd, a decent backup PG and a look at Nicholson who is a solid backup PF on an expiring.

- The Magic get a veteran for their solid team, without giving up any of their young players.

- You might expect to get more for Conley, but I kind of doubt you could do much better. Almost every team has a solid PG (like Holliday or R. Jackson) or a young PG (like Mudiay or D. Russell) that they are grooming. It just isn't an in-demand position. Also, Mike is an expiring and there is no guarantee he'll resign.

- All in all we come away saving about 25 mil (not figuring the salary increase we'd be paying to resign Conley). Add that to Green, Lee, Chalmers, Carter, Barnes coming off the books and we are pretty much in fiscal heaven, w/ a large cash of picks to play with: Rozier, #3, #15, #20, #32, 2nd 2017 (currently estimated scenario). We still have Randolph and Allen who one would hope to be able establish a winning culture for the young players. I think this gives us as solid a foundation to build on as one could hope for.

Rozier has a negative PER for the season and is being  sent to the D-League. Why would we want him? I like the Conley trade much better but feel we could get better more established players but I just don't see why we would even entertain the Gasol trade. You're basically giving him up for a broken down David Lee and a 1st round pick. Rozier and the 2nd round pick wouldn't add any value at all. I would get at least 2 first round picks for Gasol, if not 3. They have nice young talent like Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart. To me, we would need to get at least one of them with 2 first round picks for Marc. I would go for Crowder, Smart and Sullinger plus a first for Marc.

I would put Green and Lee at the top of any trades, just my opinion.

chipc3    0

Great trades if the objective is to be a lottery team for a number of years and hope that the team wins the lottery once and gets a franchise player. Otherwise these trades make no sense at all. 

lsugrizzfan    0

We are going to be a lottery team in the next couple of years regardless. We also gave away picks. We need to recoup some. Otherwise we will be a lottery team for longer.

As far as the Gasol trade, I would not protect the pick for Boston and I would want our pick back more so than the 2nd round pick. If Boston won't do the trade, then oh well. I am not for blowing up the team just to blow it up. If we can put ourselves in position to rebuild, then yes I want us to blow it up.

I think we can get more for Conley though. My proposal has always been check with Chicago and see if they are ready to move on from DRose. For taking on DRose's contract and upgrading them to Conley, I think we could pry McDermott away from them, giving us a legitimate shooter for once and a young rotational player. Jeff Green's contract would have to be used to make salaries match. I've given up on the possibility of prying away Bobby Portis. I'd see if try for a pick, too. But would be happy to just have legitimate shooter. And then hope Rose regains some form. If not, at least, he will keep some of the fanbase excited through the rebuild.

Rozier has a negative PER for the season and is being  sent to the D-League. Why would we want him? I like the Conley trade much better but feel we could get better more established players but I just don't see why we would even entertain the Gasol trade. You're basically giving him up for a broken down David Lee and a 1st round pick. Rozier and the 2nd round pick wouldn't add any value at all. I would get at least 2 first round picks for Gasol, if not 3. They have nice young talent like Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart. To me, we would need to get at least one of them with 2 first round picks for Marc. I would go for Crowder, Smart and Sullinger plus a first for Marc.

I would put Green and Lee at the top of any trades, just my opinion.

I wouldn't expect Rozier to have a positive PER being a rookie who plays behind an established PG and a higher-drafted PG and isn't getting hardly any mpg. Most rookies get sent to the D-League. I happen to have liked him going into the draft, but if you don't and want to get one of Boston's other 1sts then I don't have a problem with that. One of the best things about dealing with Boston is that they have a lot of rearrangeable assets negotiate for.

As for David Lee, well... yeah he's really just there b/c he's an expiring contract that makes the trade work. I thought that was obvious. You want to rebuild w/o a lot of fat on the books.

Great trades if the objective is to be a lottery team for a number of years and hope that the team wins the lottery once and gets a franchise player. Otherwise these trades make no sense at all. 

Ummmm... yeah, that's exactly the point. That's why I called them rebuilding trades, as opposed to "Trades that make us a viable championship contender NOW".

I'm not 100% gung-ho about blowing up the team, but one does have to start to wonder as the current team sputters against good teams and dives against great ones. Trading Mike & Marc would hurt my heart all the same. This is just an idea I had that I thought was interesting and makes sense for all parties.

We are going to be a lottery team in the next couple of years regardless. We also gave away picks. We need to recoup some. Otherwise we will be a lottery team for longer.

As far as the Gasol trade, I would not protect the pick for Boston and I would want our pick back more so than the 2nd round pick. If Boston won't do the trade, then oh well. I am not for blowing up the team just to blow it up. If we can put ourselves in position to rebuild, then yes I want us to blow it up.

I agree about blowing up the team just for the hell of it. One of the reasons I like dealing with Boston is they have so many assets that can be negotiated for. Perhaps i'm selling us short. I'm just remembering the Pau trade and how what we got for that (cap space and two late 1sts) was much less than what I proposed in this thread.

chipc3    0

I agree about blowing up the team just for the hell of it. One of the reasons I like dealing with Boston is they have so many assets that can be negotiated for. Perhaps i'm selling us short. I'm just remembering the Pau trade and how what we got for that (cap space and two late 1sts) was much less than what I proposed in this thread.

I think there was another player involved in that trade named Marc Gasol.