Sign in to follow this  
ThrobbingGrizzHater

Is The Fo's Goal For This Team To Compete Or Go Through The Motions Until The Offseason

It just seems to me that they are not concerned about making a legit distinct run at a title. That was strikingly apparent that that was a possibility when they didn't address the youth and 3 point shooting that was glaring then and still heavily looms. I love Matts hustle but not the FO's choice to bring him in to attempt to sustain GnG. I thought it was a poor decision to bring in Wright given his games played for his career to injury ratio never mind the fact that he is athletic.

They have already put an end to the Gasol/ Z-Bo pairing since the benching so I think they move Zach for more flexibility to reshape the roster.

The guys as a team look inexplicably tantalized like they don't have a solid foundation the sit on.

Southbluffsgrizzfan made a interesting post on how he had heard Tillery talk about how the FO isn't putting much emphasis on this season as far as the current roster goes. Is it just that the team still needs time to sync and flow with each other. Is it because of chemistry issues that result in inconsistent effort.

All just doesn't seem right here between a pretentious Wallace about the current situation or Jeorgers constant team bashing in post-game interviews or the 70+ DEGREE WEATHER HERE WHAT IS GOING ON FOR darn sakes it's winter LOL! But your thoughts please any posters with sense put my heart at ease Cousy, grizztigerfan, The Stro Show, Ndq, smrj, TimBC, Memphis X, KBM just to name a few. Your thoughts???....??

We have no direction or identity as a team. As it stands if we don't have a lead at beginning of a game we will lose it. No scoring to get us caught up. It's really a multitude if problems. Blame is shifting from coach to players and back. There is no consistency to our play style so we can't get settled.

You pinned it on the head. Our offseason just wasn't nearly enough. Matt had been solid, but he isn't a big factor. I don't think it's a chemistry issue, it is truly an identity problem. I hope we make some big moves. I don't think this will turn around on its own. I would be down to fire Joeger at this point too. I'm officially taking a leave of absence from the Sunshine Club. The front office needs to grow a pair and make some moves. But like your title, I'm afraid they will just go through the motions.

As far as the front office goes, I think Jeff Green deciding to exercise his player option altered several plans. I think the original idea was to target a small forward in free agency, one similar to Barnes, but younger. Secondary considerations would be backup center (Kosta, if he would come back), and then who would be available in the draft.

Jeff opting in meant that they really couldn't look at a small forward that could be inserted in the starting lineup. No one would believe the Grizzlies would be signing a younger forward to start over Green's $9 million contract.

So, that meant a change in who the Grizzlies could target. Barnes come in by trade, Wright comes on the radar because he was willing to sign a cheap contract. This season changes because someone the Front Office would have been happy to let go decides he wouldn't get more in free agency.

First, let's get the title stuff off the table. 

Warriors, Spurs, Cavs, fuggedaboudit. 

OK. Now to the team's problems.  We have a 2011 team in a 2015 league, and we're too old.

And, to top it off, we have very few options that have any chance to make us substantially better in the near future. 

We are AT BEST a squeaks-into-playoffs team now, and the rest of the league is going to improve faster than we are. 

We're done like dinner, and I don't see a path out of it except through the swamp. The one the Sixers are in. 

Marc & Mike for draft picks? Nope, the money doesn't work. 

Draft picks plus expiring bad contracts, maybe. Ugh. 

Find a contender whose center is a key player. Have that guy's leg break. Hope that team has three wings who are all good enough to be starters, and snag one of them plus a draft pick.  Not very likely. 

Give me a moment to collect all my thoughts I'm gonna like this thread.

to me the front office is doing what i thought they would do next season...

1.Turning the team over to conley and gasol

2.Changing playing styles

3.See if any of there young guys conproduce

alot of poster on here think the FO doesnt have an direction but i think Pera wants a certian type of team and Joerger is going to be the one to implement it...with the league going smaller...look at the type of young players the grizzs have picked up

adams-6'5 not athletic yet but the FO put a conditioning bonus in his contract

ennis-6'7 athletic

jam.green-6'9 athletic

martin-6'10 athletic

all those guys have the ability to play multiple positions and could switch defensively on most pick and rolls...I wouldn't be mad is we rolled out next season with a roster of:

conley/chalmers

adams/clee

jam.green/ennis

martin/randolph

m.gasol/p.gasol

We have no direction or identity as a team. As it stands if we don't have a lead at beginning of a game we will lose it. No scoring to get us caught up. It's really a multitude if problems. Blame is shifting from coach to players and back. There is no consistency to our play style so we can't get settled.

Exactly all your points are the reasons I believe stuff like what Mark stein reported on gets out. I don't believe their will be a coaching change The Stro Show or a big significant trade just an organization that is satisfied with the outcome no matter how far we get. It does look like they attempt to keep us at least somewhat competitive with the Chalmers trade and lineup change but in the grand scheme of things only want to sell tickets

to me the front office is doing what i thought they would do next season...

1.Turning the team over to conley and gasol

2.Changing playing styles

3.See if any of there young guys conproduce

alot of poster on here think the FO doesnt have an direction but i think Pera wants a certian type of team and Joerger is going to be the one to implement it...with the league going smaller...look at the type of young players the grizzs have picked up

adams-6'5 not athletic yet but the FO put a conditioning bonus in his contract

ennis-6'7 athletic

jam.green-6'9 athletic

martin-6'10 athletic

all those guys have the ability to play multiple positions and could switch defensively on most pick and rolls...I wouldn't be mad is we rolled out next season with a roster of:

conley/chalmers

adams/clee

jam.green/ennis

martin/randolph

m.gasol/p.gasol

Dude I promise you two guys that dont even play wont be starting next year.

This team has gone with mid 30's wings in 3 straight offseasons. No reason to think they have another direction.

First of all we just paid a guy over 100 million to put up 11 points and single digit rebounds on a regular basis, Zbo is just about washed up, and Conley has been just as inconsistent as Marc, reality is we are going to over pay Mike as well, I think its time for a overhaul

First of all we just paid a guy over 100 million to put up 11 points and single digit rebounds on a regular basis, Zbo is just about washed up, and Conley has been just as inconsistent as Marc, reality is we are going to over pay Mike as well, I think its time for a overhaul

Marc was my favorite player at one point. You guys don't understand my disappointment this season. (Actually yall probably do.) But I just watch Marc and I see him whine over calls where he was barely touched and whine over him missing shots. Then he goes on the other end and completely lets people run past him. It's exhausting. Absolutely exhausting. I thought he could be dominate. I was dead wrong. Z-Bo is 34. In my opinion, the way he is playing at 34 off the bench is exceptional. He isn't suppose to be one of our 1st options at this point, unfortunately no one else on the team can put the dang ball in the basket. Conley. I'm too drunk and tired to even get into Conley right now. I just really don't feel this team is playing to what they're capable of.

I think this all started when levien took over. He traded Rudy to open the door for Marc and Mike to eventually take over. I honestly believe they wanted to move on from GnG that off season but the WCF run ruined those plans cause it made no sense to break that roster up.

When they hired Joerger the first thing he talked about was quickening the pace and he wasn't initially talking about getting into sets quicker. I believe Levien and Joerger were on the same page roster wise if you take Zach's quotes into consideration he told Joerger "you've been wanting to do this for a while" so we all know that joerger never really wanted GnG. But when Wallace was put back in power the narrative changed but at the same time the decision making went from one person (levien) to multiple people Wallace,Joerger,and Hollinger.

This is where trying to figure out the direction of the team gets weird. Since it's impossible to tell who's in control its hard to see what the FO will do going forward. Wallace wants to keep the core intact for as long as possible Joerger wants to get younger faster and add shooting. While Hollinger is always looking for the diamond in the rough.

I think what's best for the team is to get one person thats incontrol of personnel. And I think that person should more than likely be the coach (and I ain't talking about Joerger.) I think Joerger has burned his bridges here by doing the same thing hollins did.

I think they are trying to make the playoffs to keep the draft pick but if I was them I would get an eight seed and have a pick in the teens. The draft is down this year which makes it a good year to give up our pic but I'm sure the FO has some type of plan.

As far as the front office goes, I think Jeff Green deciding to exercise his player option altered several plans. I think the original idea was to target a small forward in free agency, one similar to Barnes, but younger. Secondary considerations would be backup center (Kosta, if he would come back), and then who would be available in the draft.

Jeff opting in meant that they really couldn't look at a small forward that could be inserted in the starting lineup. No one would believe the Grizzlies would be signing a younger forward to start over Green's $9 million contract.

So, that meant a change in who the Grizzlies could target. Barnes come in by trade, Wright comes on the radar because he was willing to sign a cheap contract. This season changes because someone the Front Office would have been happy to let go decides he wouldn't get more in free agency.

So after using a first round pick to acquire him they where OK with him walking just 5 months later?

I think this all started when levien took over. He traded Rudy to open the door for Marc and Mike to eventually take over. I honestly believe they wanted to move on from GnG that off season but the WCF run ruined those plans cause it made no sense to break that roster up.

When they hired Joerger the first thing he talked about was quickening the pace and he wasn't initially talking about getting into sets quicker. I believe Levien and Joerger were on the same page roster wise if you take Zach's quotes into consideration he told Joerger "you've been wanting to do this for a while" so we all know that joerger never really wanted GnG. But when Wallace was put back in power the narrative changed but at the same time the decision making went from one person (levien) to multiple people Wallace,Joerger,and Hollinger.

This is where trying to figure out the direction of the team gets weird. Since it's impossible to tell who's in control its hard to see what the FO will do going forward. Wallace wants to keep the core intact for as long as possible Joerger wants to get younger faster and add shooting. While Hollinger is always looking for the diamond in the rough.

I think what's best for the team is to get one person thats incontrol of personnel. And I think that person should more than likely be the coach (and I ain't talking about Joerger.) I think Joerger has burned his bridges here by doing the same thing hollins did.

What He said!

All also add that Heisley had the "3yr plan" which was all about developing a playoff team.

Then it morphed into GNG which was supposed to be about creating a contending team.

Like NDQ said I believe Levien was going to take us into the next era but that got derailed. So because of a lack of clear vision and voice then it turned into "let's just keep it rolling" attitude. Rise these guys into the ground. Wallace always uses the excuse of "creating a winning culture" to cover up the fact that we had no planB.

It's frustrating because some of us recognized early on that type of shortsightedness would lead us back to futility quicker and harder than before.

Personally if the idea is for us to remain a playoff team only and maintain a winning culture. Then I am fine with building around Mike and Marc. however if we truly want championship then it's foolish to make those two the focal points.

But this mess we have currently where the FO still hasn't fully handed over the keys to mike and Marc or moved on from past era is the worst case scenario. Which is why we are struggling so badly now.

Pick a direction and them commit to it! Make roster moves that enhance and maximize what your cornerstones can do.

If Marc and Mike put up numbers consistent to last year, we wouldn't be having this problem. I love moving ZBo and TA to the bench, actually they played too many minutes against the Wizards. Jam Green, Ennis, and Martin would get most of the minutes off of the bench along with Chalmers. When JA is healthy, he'd get consistent minutes off the bench. Jeff Green is being utilized in the wrong way. We still don't run enough plays for him, Conley does not have the elite vision or playmaking skills of a John Wall, and Gasol is not playing up to his ability. When Wright comes back, I'd move ZBo to spot minutes to get him rested for the playoffs...the FO has leverage in dealing with ZBo. 

Dude I promise you two guys that dont even play wont be starting next year.

This team has gone with mid 30's wings in 3 straight offseasons. No reason to think they have another direction.

I don't know about that given how strong Pera's daddy Alibaba or whatever his name is influence I would say a coaching change may be imminent after this season's likely exit. I would completely change my mind if Adams knee gets better and Jeorger gives him a considerable amount of pt. Also if at some point Ennis and Martin are given chances to work towards becoming regular rotational pieces as to have the best chance at depth in the playoffs. Maybe TA returns back to form and along with 11-12 man rotation shocks the world and gets back to the WCF or maybe even the finals. Don't pinch me I like to dream lol

Greatly illustrated Ndq0327. I knew creating this thread would bring clear cut insight and peer into the minds through great post such as yours also thanks Wells, Stro and TimBC, GTF f-dizzle among others good stuff. The proof turned us on recently to Wallace saying that we weren't making any moves so I fully support the assumption that they're all content with just making the playoffs. I do believe that the Z-Bo move to the bench has more of an underlying meaning like to phase him out making it easier to accept moving on from him via trade. I believe Pera wanted to oblige Dave's philosophies hence the multi year contract but not the lack of Pt towards development that others besides Dave drafted i.e Adams and company.

So after using a first round pick to acquire him they where OK with him walking just 5 months later?

If you check most of the free agent forecasts last season around February (about a month after we acquired Jeff), you will see he was listed high on them. Then March and April came and his stock dropped.

I think the original plan was to use him as a playoff hired gun, a rental to get where they thought they could go, then shake his hand on the way out the door. But when his performance failed to deliver, the front office was left hoping he wouldn't opt in.

IMO Gasol should be dealt as soon he can be before perception kills his trade value. Hopefully to Boston to get our pick back plus some more. Then we should have all of our picks going forward and maybe an extra future pick or two after we fall out of the playoff race.

Then let the next offseason pass and let team blow their wads with all their capspace. The market usually gets crazy when the cap goes up and plenty of mistakes will be made.

Like someone said above get a GM that is the first, last and only voice on the direction of this team. Let him get a coach who he can work with long term.

FIND A PLAYER WHO WE CAN BUILD AROUND THAT WILL HAVE THE BALL IN HIS HANDS!!!!!!!

I'd like to add if Joerger is not back next season whoever we hire will be coach and Gm. I dont see Chris Wallace back either.

Firstly, Merry Christmas to all.

Secondly, that comment by Wallace about standing pat stunned and disappointed me. I'm am left clinging to the hope that he said this so as not to upset further the chemistry of the team as happened prior to the Rudy trade, but if the opportunity presents itself he will make a move.

If no move is made by the deadline, then it's either because

a) They seriously plan on extending an offer to Jeff, and maybe even Clee

B) They want both those 2 to drop off the books and go hard in FA

I still need to have a good look at the list of FA but I can't see a difference mover (Durant) coming to Beale Street, so that means a BIG contract for Mike, and they will be hoping to sign Jeff. Not sure how they feel about CLee, but indications from Courtney are that he won't be here next season. I don't know where Rio stands, I hope the FO will make a big effort to keep him, but he may just command too much FA dollars

So, all this means to me (I don't wanna jump to conclusions) is one big mediocre, steady as she goes outlook. I'll be disappointed if this is the case.

I'll leave the trade scenarios for that thread but if it was me, I'd be looking to move Jeff and Courtney before the deadline and get something before they walk. I'd have no intention on attempting to extend Jeff, and probably same with Courtney. I'd be doing EVERYTHING possible to shift Vince, and I'd take a deal for Tony and Wright is a bust, I'd be moving him too

And yes, I agree that the FO now is in sand-bagging mode, desperate to keep the pick, so expect Joerger to go with 8 or 9 man rotations well into March, even April

Merry Christmas fellas.

This year has been a disheartening one for me. While it was never truly realistic to believe this team, as currently constructed, could compete with GS or SA it is surprising to see how badly our level of play has dropped off.

To me, it is a combination of factors:

1.) Our "star" players are underperforming. No matter how much MemphisX hates it, Marc Gasol is a top 3 center in this league based on all-around skill set. His offensive performance has really fallen off, but I attribute this to the team requiring him to be something he is not - a 1st option. Gasol is an elite 2nd option and facilitator. Mike Conley has likewise completely fallen off a cliff as far as consistent production is concerned. MC11 is my favorite player on this team and a guy who I respect tremendously as a person, but the front office has to take a really long look at whether it makes sense to bring him back for the money he will command on the open market this offseason. 

2.) Joerger has lost control of the team. Personally, I do not believe that the team ever truly respected DJ, but this year it is abundantly clear that they are completely out of synch. The fact that he has throw the team as a whole and individual players under the bus this year has also not helped him in any respect. To me, DJ is acting like a guy that wants to get fired because he knows he has the Minnesota job in his back pocket. Completely unprofessional and bush league behavior by this guy. As some people have already stated he is conducting himself the same way that Hollins did, but the FO/ownership is catering to him for some unknown reason.

3.) Our secondary role players are completely inept. Matt Barnes is our best role player. That sums this up.

4.) Lack of player development over the past 5 years has finally caught up to us. This was evident all along. It is shameful that any professional sports franchise would have such a complete lack of foresight, but it is what it is. We have no young talent and no way to acquire any.

To answer the question of the OP it is fairly evident that the team/FO/ownership are currently just "going through the motions", and I really can't blame them because barring serious injuries to at least 3 teams we have no chance of reaching the NBA Finals. Wallace's comments about not making any moves hold absolutely no weight to me however, because he is clearly not the decision maker for this franchise (and really has never been) plus he would be compromising his position in any future trade by saying something along the lines of "Yes, we desperately need to make a change and we are actively shopping everyone." 

My belief is that in a market like ours sustaining some sort of playoff success is vital. We cannot afford to go through a period like the Lakers or 76ers have gone through the past few years. This is why I do not believe we can afford to jettison Marc. We need to surround him with efficient scorers. We have had ample opportunity to do so, but have failed miserably over the past 3-4 years. No more washed up vets like VC. No more one way specialists like TA. Most importantly no more inefficient overpaid wings like Jeff Green or Rudy Gay. 

Merry Christmas fellas.

This year has been a disheartening one for me. While it was never truly realistic to believe this team, as currently constructed, could compete with GS or SA it is surprising to see how badly our level of play has dropped off.

To me, it is a combination of factors:

1.) Our "star" players are underperforming. No matter how much MemphisX hates it, Marc Gasol is a top 3 center in this league based on all-around skill set. His offensive performance has really fallen off, but I attribute this to the team requiring him to be something he is not - a 1st option. Gasol is an elite 2nd option and facilitator. Mike Conley has likewise completely fallen off a cliff as far as consistent production is concerned. MC11 is my favorite player on this team and a guy who I respect tremendously as a person, but the front office has to take a really long look at whether it makes sense to bring him back for the money he will command on the open market this offseason

When did players get ranked on skillset and not performance?