Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ndq0327

So Are The Grizz Trading For A Big Or Waiving For Hollins

108 posts in this topic

I said I am happier supporting a winning team than a losing one.

Full blown captain obvious.

I just read an article that said having Lance is making LA miss Barnes. I know Lance has been bad in his last two spots but he's only 25 if we could turn this version of TA for Lance we'd have to pull the trigger. TA would be reunited with Doc and Pierce. The Clips could waive VC and go get another big if needed. With Doc as their GM I wouldn't surprised if it worked

Or they could go Lance + Cole for Tony + Vince.  Basically trade headcases and i am sure Doc would love to reunite with Tony and may even throw in a pick. 

Lance couldn't possibly be a worst fit than Tony at this point.    He is a credible playmaker for the SG spot and plays defense too.  

That move gives us our 4/5th big plus wing playmaker. 

That article was from October 1st. To imply that is how Joerger is thinking right now is interesting to say the least. 

However, I don't disagree with Joerger. He wants the team to play better offensively. From what I have seen the team is getting plenty of open looks. They just aren't hitting the shots. They aren't predictable. They just aren't efficient. They need to hit the shots they are getting. They need to set better picks to free up people. They need to attack the rim more and make better cuts. All within the system they have had. 

The predictability the team suffered from before the season isn't the problem they are facing today. Today they aren't hitting their shots. Today they aren't setting good enough picks. Today they are improving their cuts but still need to do more of this. They need to keep the ball moving (which they have improved on). The offense is fine when the shots are falling. The players aren't forcing up contested shots like they did at the end of last season. Joerger addressed those issues and he isn't complaining about these things today. Right now, in the present, the team needs to hit the shots that are open. They need to set picks better. They need to cut to the basket to get easier looks. They need to keep the ball moving. All these things have been implemented already and now the team needs to start executing the system in place. 

I have been under the assumption that you want a "new offense" and not to execute better with the current system. If that isn't the case then we are in agreement. 

Or they could go Lance + Cole for Tony + Vince. Basically trade headcases and i am sure Doc would love to reunite with Tony and may even throw in a pick.

Lance couldn't possibly be a worst fit than Tony at this point. He is a credible playmaker for the SG spot and plays defense too.

That move gives us our 4/5th big plus wing playmaker.

Don't think Cole can get traded till later either

Neither Smith or Cole can be traded till December 14. I think they would be willing to get rid of Smith and Stevenson especially if they continue to play the way they have been. The pick I think is a stretch because neither team wants to have these players in their future, except maybe Lance. He could reignite his career in Memphis; he did thrive with a veteran team in Indiana so who knows. Maybe Zbo and some of the other vets could help him channel all his emotions positively. Obviously the Clippers and young Hornets couldn't help him.   

That article was from October 1st. To imply that is how Joerger is thinking right now is interesting to say the least. 

However, I don't disagree with Joerger. He wants the team to play better offensively. From what I have seen the team is getting plenty of open looks. They just aren't hitting the shots. They aren't predictable. They just aren't efficient. They need to hit the shots they are getting. They need to set better picks to free up people. They need to attack the rim more and make better cuts. All within the system they have had. 

The predictability the team suffered from before the season isn't the problem they are facing today. Today they aren't hitting their shots. Today they aren't setting good enough picks. Today they are improving their cuts but still need to do more of this. They need to keep the ball moving (which they have improved on). The offense is fine when the shots are falling. The players aren't forcing up contested shots like they did at the end of last season. Joerger addressed those issues and he isn't complaining about these things today. Right now, in the present, the team needs to hit the shots that are open. They need to set picks better. They need to cut to the basket to get easier looks. They need to keep the ball moving. All these things have been implemented already and now the team needs to start executing the system in place. 

I have been under the assumption that you want a "new offense" and not to execute better with the current system. If that isn't the case then we are in agreement. 

This is basketball not football there aren't that many different plays to begin with.  So all the changes Dave mention does translate to a technically a "different offense" and that's why the CORE members complained and keep reverting back to their old ways.

"The emphasis is on early offense, generating easy scores, but more importantly, making a number of smart passes that keep the defense off balance and chasing the basketball.

The Griz rebelled against Joerger's offensive initiative when he took over as head coach before the 2013-14 season. Memphis got off to a slow start record-wise during the first month and quickly went back to its plodding ways."

They don't view it as simple tweaks or being more efficient in what they already did.  

"it wasn't because they were tossing it inside and the low post was killing it."

That was/is our offense basically run plays to toss it for a lowpost attempt inside this is Lionel's legacy.  So all the wrinkles you see about more cutting to the basket and slashing comes from what Dave has been trying to implement. 

Also this article is extremely relevant because it is from beginning of the season and tells you that he has been trying for 3yrs to change our offense.   Which once again affirms that the Coach unlike yourself wasn't okay with the teams offense and sees the same problem i see. 

Joerger said in the article you quoted:

the Griz don't want to run and gun as much as Joerger expects to get the ball up the floor and operate in their sets more quickly. There's no reason they Griz can't accomplish that given the enhanced athleticism and depth on this roster.

Getting into the sets they have run for years is not a new offense. Right before that Joerger said:

The Griz want to recapture the dogged defense that led the league in steals off turnovers a few seasons ago.

Does this mean the team is running a new defense? Of course not. And like the defense, the offense is basically the same. 

Joerger isn't trying to recreate the wheel. He is simply wanting it to run quicker and when the open shots the team has missed so far start to fall it won't be because the team is finally changing their sets. It will be because they are making the shots from the sets and that will make the offense more efficient and effective. 

Don't think Cole can get traded till later either

Darn'it!

Well i don't want Smith - i would rather spend that time developing JaM.   Wonder if we could do a 3 team deal to acquire the 5th Big.

Darn'it!

Well i don't want Smith - i would rather spend that time developing JaM. Wonder if we could do a 3 team deal to acquire the 5th Big.

I doubt they do all of that for a 5th big it may be wise to just wait till the 14 when you have more options. But considering they probably just want another big body I don't think they wait that long. I'm not expecting this guy to be a world beater.

Joerger said in the article you quoted:

Getting into the sets they have run for years is not a new offense. Right before that Joerger said:

Does this mean the team is running a new defense? Of course not. And like the defense, the offense is basically the same. 

Joerger isn't trying to recreate the wheel. He is simply wanting it to run quicker and when the open shots the team has missed so far start to fall it won't be because the team is finally changing their sets. It will be because they are making the shots from the sets and that will make the offense more efficient and effective. 

Uhmm he never said he wanted to "recapture their offense" like he said about the defense so no that isn't the same.

Like i said Joerger has been adding wrinkles since he has been HC but he is struggling to get the CORE to fully embrace his changes.   Taking into account the new plays he added plus increasing the pace does equate to changing the offense IMHO.   But if you choose not to believe that more power to you.

What would it take to get Nerlens from Philly?    Dude is going to be stud defensive anchor sooner than later.  Just curios asking for a friend. 

Calm down Cowboy i was referring to Philly they don't have any real players and aren't trying to win.

Now that you understand that you can safely watch the rest of your argument implode upon itself from the comfort of your keyboard. 

One post you want a Philly player.  Next post they don't have any.  What's the deal?

One post you want a Philly player. Next post they don't have any. What's the deal?

Who cares I was criticizing Philly. Now are you running to there defense too?

Who cares I was criticizing Philly. Now are you running to there defense too?

I'm not running to anyone's defense.  Just trying to figure out your seeming contradictory statements.

Waiving either of the young players makes not Waiving Stokes look absolutely stupid. I could see us moving Russ for a big cause they have Harrison in the dleague and he should at least be as good as a third pg by next season. But I think Russ has gotten an unfair shake due to Joerger's inability to let him be himself and learn from his mistakes.

I really hope the reason they are playing VC is because they are showing that he can actually still play. It makes no sense to go through another season with VC playing ahead of a young wing when VC is not in your future plans. All the BS about not knowing the plays is an excuse cause Chalmers doesn't know the plays but he is a more important player than Ennis.

good point about how it would look if we waived either of the young players.  I had forgotten about Harrison in the D League.  If someone would give something for Russ, then I could see that.  I also thought that the sudden minutes for VC might be a showcase for some team who might want his expiring contract and might need some 3pt shooting from time to time. 

I really wish they could figure out a way to get Hollins back at least for this year.  Not saying I would want to commit to a multi year contract with Ryan but he added something to the team during the preseason and Marc is surely going to "tweak" a knee or his neck or something playing all these minutes.  Makes you just sick at your stomach to think we had Hassan Whiteside and waived him twice.  Such a brilliant move that was. 

I realize the move needs to be toward youth and Ennis is "youthful"  LOL, but if it just sucks to be needing a back up big and cannot get one who is available and would want to sign with us because we have to hold a roster spot for a player who Dave will never play any meaningful minutes (Ennis).

good point about how it would look if we waived either of the young players. I had forgotten about Harrison in the D League. If someone would give something for Russ, then I could see that. I also thought that the sudden minutes for VC might be a showcase for some team who might want his expiring contract and might need some 3pt shooting from time to time.

I really wish they could figure out a way to get Hollins back at least for this year. Not saying I would want to commit to a multi year contract with Ryan but he added something to the team during the preseason and Marc is surely going to "tweak" a knee or his neck or something playing all these minutes. Makes you just sick at your stomach to think we had Hassan Whiteside and waived him twice. Such a brilliant move that was.

I realize the move needs to be toward youth and Ennis is "youthful" LOL, but if it just sucks to be needing a back up big and cannot get one who is available and would want to sign with us because we have to hold a roster spot for a player who Dave will never play any meaningful minutes (Ennis).

The only person that should on the waive block should be carter

What is Larry Sanders doing?   Man he would be a monster with an athletic lineup.    If in basketball shape and focused mentally he would def be an upgrade over Ryan Hollins.  

What is Larry Sanders doing?   Man he would be a monster with an athletic lineup.    If in basketball shape and focused mentally he would def be an upgrade over Ryan Hollins.

I think he opened up a "shop" in Denver.

Larry Sanders from wiki;

It was announced on February 21, 2015, following his second suspension for marijuana use, that the Bucks were buying out Sanders' contract.[16] On February 25, a video of Sanders was released where he explained that he entered into a program at Rogers Memorial Hospital for anxiety, depression and mood disorders. He claims that the program led him to realize "what's important, and where I would want to devote my time and energy" and that ultimately he realized that "for [basketball] to be consuming so much of my life and time right now ... it's not there for me. It's not that worth it." He did however claim to still love the game and that "if I get to a point where I feel I'm capable of playing basketball again, then I will."

Larry Sanders from wiki;

It was announced on February 21, 2015, following his second suspension for marijuana use, that the Bucks were buying out Sanders' contract.[16] On February 25, a video of Sanders was released where he explained that he entered into a program at Rogers Memorial Hospital for anxiety, depression and mood disorders. He claims that the program led him to realize "what's important, and where I would want to devote my time and energy" and that ultimately he realized that "for [basketball] to be consuming so much of my life and time right now ... it's not there for me. It's not that worth it." He did however claim to still love the game and that "if I get to a point where I feel I'm capable of playing basketball again, then I will."

Good for him trying to get his life together and realizing what is most important.   Sucks that he had to leave BBall to do it. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2592280-breaking-down-each-nba-teams-early-season-trade-bait/page/25

bleacher report article discussing potential trade bait for teams.   There are a few big men on it that could be useful for us.

Kyle O'Quinn

Alex Len

Cody Zeller

Josh McRoberts *Chris Wallace alert*

Terrence Jones

O'Quinn and McRoberts are probably the most obtainable.  

What is Larry Sanders doing?   

That is only just, only BARELY more sensible than asking about Gilbert Arenas and Allen Iverson. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2592280-breaking-down-each-nba-teams-early-season-trade-bait/page/25

bleacher report article discussing potential trade bait for teams. There are a few big men on it that could be useful for us.

Kyle O'Quinn

Alex Len

Cody Zeller

Josh McRoberts *Chris Wallace alert*

Terrence Jones

O'Quinn and McRoberts are probably the most obtainable.

I'll take O'Quinn. I still think he has room to grow here. But McRoberts would be cool. Looks like he still has the Athleticism we Need

I'll take O'Quinn. I still think he has room to grow here. But McRoberts would be cool. Looks like he still has the Athleticism we Need

I think either one of them can be had for some combination of CLee or Tony and Vince.    O'Quinn is my preference too and Porzingas has made him expendable.  Len and Zeller have way more upside but them being former lottery picks im sure the asking price would be too high.