Sign in to follow this  
New_Sacred_Cow

Mike Conley Won’T Sign Contract Extension With Grizzlies

MemphisX    0

Yes, we are going to trade Gasoline and Conley when they reach the ZBo/TA phase of their career.

What makes our players valuable is the fact that our team has an air of success around it. The contracts are appropriate and the wins are also. With these new extensions...age/success/perception will torpedo the players value. We have zero young assets also and owe draft picks. Our last source of value is Marc and Mike. If we let them go from assets to liabilities, we could be looking a lt a Sacremento like scenario.

guillermo    0

I would fall out my chair in disbelief if it happened (a trade) but Gasol and Conley's stock might never be higher than it is right now

too risky to let them go honestly.. these guys are winners. Just don't overpay. Do as Spurs do.

Yes, we are going to trade Gasoline and Conley when they reach the ZBo/TA phase of their career.

What makes our players valuable is the fact that our team has an air of success around it. The contracts are appropriate and the wins are also. With these new extensions...age/success/perception will torpedo the players value. We have zero young assets also and owe draft picks. Our last source of value is Marc and Mike. If we let them go from assets to liabilities, we could be looking a lt a Sacremento like scenario.

The only problem is, I don't know that what you are wanting has ever happened in the history of the NBA. Ever.  Even if there were a theoretical argument for it.  This is still a team that, despite the late season slide, were never in danger of missing the playoffs this season, and for much of the season was a #2 seed.  You might see some changes in a team like that, but players who are currently key cogs that are also in their prime?  They will only go somewhere else of their own doing.

fanboyslim    0

Actually, right now Marc is neither an asset nor a liability. If he walks, he has no value to us. Mike on the other hand is worth $9M, he can land us picks because he vastly outperforms his contracts, but he's not going to get us equal value in terms of players coming our way.

As for the value perception of contracts, you have a valid point, but with the cap almost doubling in two years contracts that may look excessive today may look like a bargain in 2017.

Just for the sake of argument, a $20M contract in 2015 will be $23.1M in 2017. That's 21.4% of the cap. 21.4% of the cap in 2015 is $14.3M, or less than what Marc is making today. Sure, that would be for two years older Marc, but he'll be 32 then, it's not as if we're talking about VC.

Mike will be 28 when his contract is up, and we're talking sometimes as if he was already done. A reasonable contract would still make him valuable and tradeable. But again, if he walks he'll have no value for us.

I agree with you that we need to change our core better sooner than later (which doesn't necessarily mean dump all 4 players), but I don't think we are in a good position to do it this offseason.

There's always the option of trading them down the road, as early as December. But you can't get assets back if you have nothing to offer. I doubt we'll get many lottery picks or impact players by trading ZBo, TA or Green.

i thought VC had a buyout ?  could be a decent asset that last year .   if so & if used to its' full potential that signing could look pretty good in the long run .. something like that Salmons deal to atl  .. garbage player for a 6th man of the year & somewhat promising young prospect . 

fanboyslim    0

i thought VC had a buyout ?  could be a decent asset that last year .

VC's last year is partially guaranteed. If we waive him, he'll only count for $2M against our salary. So yeah, he could be traded as a way for some team to drop some salary and stay below the tax line.

VC's last year is partially guaranteed. If we waive him, he'll only count for $2M against our salary. So yeah, he could be traded as a way for some team to drop some salary and stay below the tax line.

eh so not that great. could save them like 3m or so i guess .. i would love to see him go to tor  one last year or just to retire, wish more teams did stuff like that . KG in MN was great to watch , bet those fans & KG loved it too . 

TimBC    0

Your reading comprehension only outpaces your lack of research skills.

Mike Conley has missed 28 games in the last 6 years including all playoff games with 47%(13) of those misses this year.

Yabbut, yabbut, what about replacing him with someone more durable, like Westbrook, Lowry, Rose, K.Walker, I. Thomas, Collison, Jennings, Holiday, MCW, Parker, D. Williams, Clarkson,Rubio, CJ Watson, Calderon, Rondo, Nelson, Smart, Mills, Larkin? 

Oh, wait, they all played fewer games than MC this season. 

Buzz, thanks for playing, OP. 

Why do people dig their heads into the sand on some issues? It's like some posters using Tony Allen's field goal percentage to say that he really isn't a bad offensive player. Please, we all follow the Grizz and do it on a message board so we're doing it at a fanatic level. Don't try to insult our intelligence by trying to state that Conley isn't always dealing with nagging and sometimes multiple injuries at the end of the season. 

Or is Conley shooting 40% and 29% from 3 in his postseason career for no other reason than he sucks? Nope 

Please share with us all the PGs that have been in the playoffs for at least 4 years that haven't been dealing with injuries during the end of the season or postseason.  

BLUEandGOLD    0

We need to get used to the core being here for one more year. I think MC, MG, TA and ZBO are already talking about one more shot at the title. ZBO and TA are locked up and MC is going to hold out for 1 more year. MG will sign for 1 year and look for bigger money next year. We need to try and figure out who we can get that makes a difference for a 1 year rental or could come in and actually be able to stay.

Allen    0

I'm down for 1 more run with this group. But if they come up short next year this era is officially over

Why do people dig their heads into the sand on some issues? It's like some posters using Tony Allen's field goal percentage to say that he really isn't a bad offensive player. Please, we all follow the Grizz and do it on a message board so we're doing it at a fanatic level. Don't try to insult our intelligence by trying to state that Conley isn't always dealing with nagging and sometimes multiple injuries at the end of the season. 

Or is Conley shooting 40% and 29% from 3 in his postseason career for no other reason than he sucks? Nope 

fo rreal . missed games doesn't mean he was healthy for the ones he played in .   it's good that he played and all but he's hurt a lot .

grizzgolf    0

I'm down for 1 more run with this group. But if they come up short next year this era is officially over

This is how I feel. I just want shooters added.

El Guapo    0

I would like to see what Conley could do in another system personally. I think he's a lot better than what he gets credit for and could possibly elevate his game to another level in a system more in line with today's NBA. I'm betting he's curious as well of his potential away from the grit/grind system he's played in.

Arkm110    0

I'd only move on from mike if we can get Russell. Maybe trade zach and mike for #2. It would save us a lot of money to go sign a good replacement for zach.

guillermo    0

conley would probably really excel in a more uptempo spread out offense.

nightmare scenario- Pops convinces him sign with spurs to be successor to TP. 

Arkm110    0

conley would probably really excel in a more uptempo spread out offense.

nightmare scenario- Pops convinces him sign with spurs to be successor to TP.

yea he probably would do better in a fast paced team that doesn't clog the paint

TT_Grizz    0

lmao getting so sick of everyone saying every FA or future FA will go to the Spurs as if they're the only team in the league that have a good front office/organization

Allen    0

This is how I feel. I just want shooters added.

Kinda feels like a farewell tour to me. I think the window is already closed

On 5/22/2015 at 9:43 AM, El Guapo said:

I would like to see what Conley could do in another system personally. I think he's a lot better than what he gets credit for and could possibly elevate his game to another level in a system more in line with today's NBA. I'm betting he's curious as well of his potential away from the grit/grind system he's played in.

Prophetic. 

El Guapo    0
2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Prophetic. 

Haha...nice blast from the past. Had to do a double-take on that post.

Definitely looking forward to seeing Conley unleashed this season. One of several things to watch this year that has me excited.