Sign in to follow this  
New_Sacred_Cow

Mike Conley Won’T Sign Contract Extension With Grizzlies

Report: Mike Conley won’t sign contract extension with Grizzlies http://dlvr.it/9vvQ3T 

LINK

Conley has a base salary of $9,388,426 next season. An extension, officially signed after June 30, could start at just 107.5 percent of that and last just three years. That’d be $32,548,499 over three seasons, though the Grizzlies could offer Conley a chance to earn 15 percent more each year in incentives.

But a new contract signed in 2016 – when the salary cap will skyrocket – could be much more lucrative. Conley’s max won’t be known until that summer, but it projects to be about $145 million if he re-signs and about $108 million if he signs elsewhere.

The_PROOF    0

We already knew this. Why would he sign an extension with he can make an additional $20M+ if he waits until his contract expires?

LadPro    0

He wants more money, go figure.

Is he worth it? Not at all.

In today's NBA, you need an elite point guard on your roster.

And you need a point guard who's not so injury prone.

Let him go.

The_PROOF    0

And what elite point guard is going to come to here?

I mean, free agency isn't the only way to acquire an elite point guard.

I do feel like Conley deserves a nice raise, but not an unreasonable one. He's not going to get a whole lot better than he is right now.

Ndq0327    0

Thats why either we make the necessary moves to extend the window or both He and Marc will leave after next season and they could possibly both end up in SA which would be devastating right???

fanboyslim    0

Mike is never going to get a max contract (his max would be $26.7M in 2016) anywhere with the abundance of quality PGs in the league. But with the increase in the cap I think he could easily net somewhere in the realm of Marc's current contract ($57M, 4 years) or a bit more for less years. That's not going to break the bank in 2016.

The_PROOF    0

I don't think Mike will demand the max either, but if he does, I honestly would let him walk.

I'm with fatboyslim, there's so many young talented point guards that can be developed if given the opportunity. We shouldn't handicap ourselves.

I honestly don't think he'll demand the max though, he's not a superstar and he probably has peaked in terms of his development.

fanboyslim    0

tying up big time money in back to back years with Gasol and Conley is a nightmare scenario 

$35M combined is not big money with a salary cap of $89M that's probably going to $108M in 2017. It's the equivalent of $24.9M at the beginning of 2014-15. Marc and Mike made a combined $24.2M this season.

fanboyslim    0

I don't think Mike will demand the max either, but if he does, I honestly would let him walk.

I'm with fatboyslim, there's so many young talented point guards that can be developed if given the opportunity. We shouldn't handicap ourselves.

I honestly don't think he'll demand the max though, he's not a superstar and he probably has peaked in terms of his development.

Basically it's a matter of how much one would be willing to pay for Mike's next 3-4 seasons. He's a known commodity but there is a risk of him breaking down physically at the tail end of his contract.

I would pay him $15M to start, 3-4 years, preferably with a team option in the last year. More than that I'd have to look at other available options. I might overpay a bit if the contract is shorter.

If he demands the max in 2016 he's going to be laughed out of every front office in the league. He's too smart to shoot that high.

The_PROOF    0

If he demands the max in 2016 he's going to be laughed out of every front office in the league. He's too smart to shoot that high.

Never say never. There may be a team in desperate need of a PG, that feels like Conley could be the missing piece to elevate their franchise. The LA Lakers come to mind. Say they draft a big in the draft next month, they'll probably still have a glaring need at PG if they don't address it this summer (Rondo has been mentioned). They could feel like Conley is worth a max contract for his leadership, character and basketball abilities.

Arkm110    0

I feel like we should move on from mike. I'd love it if we could get dangelo Russell. We could trade mike and lee to the lakers for the 2nd pick. Idk if that's enough but I'm sure they would prefer a player who has already found himself in the league so he can help Kobe in his last year. If it's not enough, we could throw in our 25th pick. Then if green opts out we can spend the money on signing monta.

Russell/ beno or whoever we can get as a replacement

Monta/ adams

Allen/ Vince

Zach/ jam green

Marc/ koufos is probably gone so sign ajinca

That's a solid lineup. We keep our smash Bros while adding monta who is a proven scorer in the league and Russell to build around. Not gonna happen. I know. But it's still worth considering. Mike is too injury prone

fanboyslim    0

Never say never. There may be a team in desperate need of a PG, that feels like Conley could be the missing piece to elevate their franchise. The LA Lakers come to mind. Say they draft a big in the draft next month, they'll probably still have a glaring need at PG if they don't address it this summer (Rondo has been mentioned). They could feel like Conley is worth a max contract for his leadership, character and basketball abilities.

Frankly, I don't see the Lakers (or anybody) signing Mike to a max contract the year Kobe retires and KD and (probably) LeBron become free agents, not to mention all the 2015 FAs that will sign one year deals.

I love how so many fans expect athletes to play on the cheap but not a single person in this string would tell their bosses to pay them less money so the company can go out and hire more talent...

You wanna be a skinflint owner, go make a billion and buy a team.  Otherwise, don't expect for someone else to do what you darn well would never do yourself.

Mike's not going to get the max, but he's definitely getting paid.  And we should all be happy for him.

fanboyslim    0

Mike's not going to get the max, but he's definitely getting paid.  And we should all be happy for him.

He'll be paid, and I'll be happy for him, whether he plays for us or not. The question is what would be his market value in 2016. There's a huge gap between the $9M he makes today and the $26.7 he could theoretically make. We can argue all we want but we have no idea how much teams will actually pay once the cap shoots up.

To be honest, I think $15M in his first year is the minimum he could be gotten for but I'm not sure today if offering that would be considered lowballing in 2016. I would personally be fine with us paying him more than that, maybe even significantly more, but all I'm saying is we'd have to look if other options exist. Heck, he may actually want to play elsewhere!

Again, compare the percentage of team salary he and Marc make today with what they would make then. Even if they earned $20M each it would be less than half the salary cap and only slightly more than one third of the tax line. It wouldn't be exactly breaking the bank.

He wants more money, go figure.

Is he worth it? Not at all.

In today's NBA, you need an elite point guard on your roster.

And you need a point guard who's not so injury prone.

Let him go.

Your reading comprehension only outpaces your lack of research skills.

Mike Conley has missed 28 games in the last 6 years including all playoff games with 47%(13) of those misses this year.

tjazz22    0

Scary next couple of years. Mike and Marc will get PAID!

Classic catch 22 situations. Now the lack of development of youngsters are creeping up on us. It always pays to have "just in case" guys behind your main guys.

Mike is smart to not sign the extension. He is considered by some to be borderline elite. And yes someone will give him close to elite money. What do you do with him AND Marc? Either way this team has a feel to look VERY different in a year or two. Maybe it's best to start making moves now. There's a couple of desperate teams out there now. Do we dangle Marc and Mike? Do we pay them and dangle every one else? Whew tough choices.

fanboyslim    0

Remember that Green, Lee, Beno and VC's guaranteed money expire in 2016. That's $21M off the books. We'll have plenty of options and a lot of money (Mike's cap hold will be just $14.4M).

fanboyslim    0

If we double down on this group who has proven they have peaked, we are just being silly.

There's always the option of trading them down the road, as early as December. But you can't get assets back if you have nothing to offer. I doubt we'll get many lottery picks or impact players by trading ZBo, TA or Green.