srmjr23    0

Maybe a 2nd rd pick and some end of bench Center.   The CLee trade is more about opening up rotation minutes for Adams than what we get in return.

The notion that we should trade our best shooter when the absolute number one need we have is shooting is baffling 

Ace-is-high    0

Im on both sides with TA, im against trading him for peanuts, I agree he plays winning basketball, I think moving off him is a risk that could back fire .. we could find out the hard way when the team cant seem to muster any energy and goes through big slumps, but if we can address needs and flip him for a starting quality player who isn't a liability on either end of the court, I say we do it while he still has some value.... but I wouldn't trade him for a back up center or unproven rookie, TA is a unique weapon that shouldn't be given away easily

cdp    0

Side note- if they go after another big i really hope they take a chance on Henry Sims. He reminds me a lot of Lorenzen Wright (rip man its been 5 flippin years wow). If he can be half the player Ren was he'll be a solid backup to Marc.

Well_Pete    0

CAn we get rid of Stokes and Harrison already and go get KJ McDaniels?

No. That would require a sign and trade as the grizzlies are over the cap. McDaniels wouldn't see run on this Grizzlies team. Stokes, if he stays on the roster, fits a need for a back up bruiser. 

Teddy.B    0

Stokes fills zero need.

He is so lost on defense it is laughable and that is only in summer league.

I don't even want to think about him being in actual NBA games. Might make Leuer look good defensively.

Ndq0327    0

Stokes fills zero need.

He is so lost on defense it is laughable and that is only in summer league.

I don't even want to think about him being in actual NBA games. Might make Leuer look good defensively.

How is he so lost when he was the sole reason we had a chance to win the championship he was the one that took the charge.

I think sometimes posters just jump on the popular opinion of a player with critiquing themselves. Stokes had a pretty good summer league he showed improvement in both his jumper and free throws. He continued to be a force in the paint and he did pretty good operating out of the pick and rolls.

Ndq0327    0

Side note- if they go after another big i really hope they take a chance on Henry Sims. He reminds me a lot of Lorenzen Wright (rip man its been 5 flippin years wow). If he can be half the player Ren was he'll be a solid backup to Marc.

Sims or Justin Hamilton

Father Pat    0

How is he so lost when he was the sole reason we had a chance to win the championship he was the one that took the charge.

I think sometimes posters just jump on the popular opinion of a player with critiquing themselves. Stokes had a pretty good summer league he showed improvement in both his jumper and free throws. He continued to be a force in the paint and he did pretty good operating out of the pick and rolls.

I can't agree with you Ndq. I didn't watch all the games but the two that I did, Stokes was very lacking on D, to put it nicely. The thing with Stokes is that he doesn't do any one thing at a high level, and he's not pretty good at a couple things, he's just OK. A guy like Stokes also needs to do the "little things" to help get some minutes.

His play reminds me of someone that was a big fish in a small pond that's still playing like he's in the small pond, but he's in a lake.

The_PROOF    0

I can't agree with you Ndq. I didn't watch all the games but the two that I did, Stokes was very lacking on D, to put it nicely. The thing with Stokes is that he doesn't do any one thing at a high level, and he's not pretty good at a couple things, he's just OK. A guy like Stokes also needs to do the "little things" to help get some minutes.

His play reminds me of someone that was a big fish in a small pond that's still playing like he's in the small pond, but he's in a lake.

I think he does one thing on a high level and that's use his body to get what he wants. He's very strong down low, he just need to improve his low post skill. But his strength is definitely a Forte of his.

The notion that we should trade our best shooter when the absolute number one need we have is shooting is baffling 

I am actually one of the posters that is in favor of trading Tony but it isn't going to happen.  So may as well look for other solutions. 

pjoe    0

I wouldn't give up on Jordan or Jarnell just yet ... we knew they were on the young side when we drafted them a year ago.  They just need to keep working hard and improving.  Both still have a good shot at being solid pros.

I am actually one of the posters that is in favor of trading Tony but it isn't going to happen.  So may as well look for other solutions. 

I'm in favor of trading either of both. Both guys bring something the team needs but are also liabilities. At the same time, you have to look at them for what they could potentially offer as tradeable assets and not because of emotional ties.

The reason to consider trading one or both is to find an upgrade to the wing position and overall scoring while also clearing room to evaluate and develop young players like Adams.

Trade TA, hopefully you are able to get a starting level SG who adds shooting and moves CLee to the bench. This is an instant upgrade to the team's overall shooting as it practically adds two shooters in one move.

Trade CLee, hopefully for a young SF who can get buckets and manufacture points without being a primary option. This allows TA to go back to playing SG with Adams backing him up. Shooting stays the same or may go down slightly, but overall perimeter scoring goes up as Adams and the new SF should potentially score more than CLee +TA. The added bonus is that the team still has TA to wreak havoc and make winning plays without sacrificing defense for offense. 

Trade both, this option could potentially land an All-Star caliber (more likely a guy who just misses out like Conley) SG. That guy would eat up most of the minutes but would still give Adams the opportunity to get about 10-15 minutes and prove that he is part of a playoff rotation. The SF role then is easily filled by any combination of Jeff, Barnes, and VC that is left after the trades. With the right move the team doesn't need much offense from the SF position, or even a prolific shooter. They just need someone who is active on defense and can keep teams honest by hitting the corner 3.

BHZMAFIA    0

If it didn't happen this offseason, the likelihood of trading Tony or Zbo is extremely low. I don't expect their value to go up next season and it actually may go down considering their age. They will of course be a tradeable asset due to their contracts, but we probably are not getting anything that's going to help us improve.

I'm fine with keeping TA, but like many have expressed...I would much rather have him come off the bench. Eventually, this will HAVE to be his role anyway because I do not expect him to start throughout the duration of his contract. At the end of the day, you have to weigh the pros and cons of TA..

Pros:

Produced an average to above average PER during the season and playoffs over the last 2 seasons

Elite perimeter defender

Brings energy

Good valued contract

Cons:

Terrible outside shooter

Possible locker room problem (comments about doing anything to win, but always wants to start)

So, the pro's outweigh the cons and I think the cons can actually be removed if he's more open to coming off the bench. Maybe he will be since we added Matt Barnes (who is his friend). I cannot see TA going to war with him over starting, but he will attempt to do so with Lee.  I don't see Joerger bringing Lee off the bench, though. He tried it for a little while last season and it just doesn't make sense because he's worth more as a starter with Conley, Zbo and Marc than TA is.

cdp    0

Sims or Justin Hamilton

Ehhhh gimme Jeff Withey over him. Actually if we can get 2 of these guys for the minimum we'd be better off. Stokes would definitely need to be cut tho.

If it didn't happen this offseason, the likelihood of trading Tony or Zbo is extremely low. I don't expect their value to go up next season and it actually may go down considering their age. They will of course be a tradeable asset due to their contracts, but we probably are not getting anything that's going to help us improve.

I'm fine with keeping TA, but like many have expressed...I would much rather have him come off the bench. Eventually, this will HAVE to be his role anyway because I do not expect him to start throughout the duration of his contract. At the end of the day, you have to weigh the pros and cons of TA..

Pros:

Produced an average to above average PER during the season and playoffs over the last 2 seasons

Elite perimeter defender

Brings energy

Good valued contract

Cons:

Terrible outside shooter

Possible locker room problem (comments about doing anything to win, but always wants to start)

So, the pro's outweigh the cons and I think the cons can actually be removed if he's more open to coming off the bench. Maybe he will be since we added Matt Barnes (who is his friend). I cannot see TA going to war with him over starting, but he will attempt to do so with Lee.  I don't see Joerger bringing Lee off the bench, though. He tried it for a little while last season and it just doesn't make sense because he's worth more as a starter with Conley, Zbo and Marc than TA is.

You downplayed those Cons:

it isn't that he is just a terrible outside shooter; he is pretty much an offensive trainwreck outside of cutting.  His presence on the floor exponentially increases the offensive load on Conley. 

The_PROOF    0

it isn't that he is just a terrible outside shooter; he is pretty much an offensive trainwreck outside of cutting.  His presence on the floor exponentially increases the offensive load on Conley. 

We can probably even add more than that. He makes boneheaded plays most of the time on offense, refuses to make the "smart pass" on offense most of the time on fast breaks and isn't automatic from within <3 feet of the basket.

BHZMAFIA    0

Hey, you don't have to tell me that lol. Trust me I know more than some when it comes to TA. I guess what I was getting at is that those cons can at least be reduced if his minutes are limited and he's coming off the bench. Bench players can have these type of flaws, but it sucks for a starter to have these flaws ESPECIALLY on a team that features a post offense.

TA is a lot more tolerable coming off the bench in spurts. Using him to turn the water off when a player gets hot and a team goes on a big run. Eventually, the Grizz are going to have to completely  play without TA and its coming much sooner than later. Moving him to the bench to start that process considering what our weaknesses are will help.

The_PROOF    0

Hey, you don't have to tell me that lol. Trust me I know more than some when it comes to TA. I guess what I was getting at is that those cons can at least be reduced if his minutes are limited and he's coming off the bench. Bench players can have these type of flaws, but it sucks for a starter to have these flaws ESPECIALLY on a team that features a post offense.

TA is a lot more tolerable coming off the bench in spurts. Using him to turn the water off when a player gets hot and a team goes on a big run. Eventually, the Grizz are going to have to completely  play without TA and its coming much sooner than later. Moving him to the bench to start that process considering what our weaknesses are will help.

The rotation that was posted yesterday, not sure if it was by you or someone else, but it was pretty much perfect. Had Gasol, Z-Bo, Barnes, Lee and Conley starting with Russ Smith, Adams, Allen, Jeff Green and Wright as the 2nd unit. Allen could really flourish with that line-up.

BLUEandGOLD    0

I am a TA fan, but he obviously is a detriment on offense. We need plays drawn up to take advantage of what he does well which is cut. If we actually run plays when he is in there and not ONLY run ISO's to ZBO and if he is running and cutting every time down the court instead of sitting on the wing then we as a team can still be effective. if he moves constantly: 1) Someone has to at least stay with him somewhat. 2) He tires out quicker and needs some bench time. (Jordan gets more burn)

I know the chance is close to zero and many will say its impossible.

But I think we should make a run for Melo in a trade. Not now; but after NY once again fail to make a playoff run and continue their loosing way. Melo already has the money and he probably wants a ring and a ring as the main player on a team.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=o5n5eyp

This with some multiple picks.

MC/Udrih/Russ

TA/Adams

Melo/Barnes

Zbo/Jam/Martin

Gasol/Wright/Oden

This also would allow to attract cheap FAs.

Thomas    0

So Vivek Ranadive just made Jason Levien his unofficial advisor.

Anyone down for Rudy Gay still?