Recommended Posts

Just now, grizz1016 said:

Giving away both Reke and Gasol is a bad idea IMO

Fair enough.

You can still find a handful of desperate/hungry teams jockeying for playoff seeding...and Tyreke is an attractive player in that setting too...big guard with handles who can score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Fair enough.

You can still find a handful of desperate/hungry teams jockeying for playoff seeding...and Tyreke is an attractive player in that setting too...big guard with handles who can score.

As long as we get a productive player or a young player with potential, it’s worth trading Reke. Your proposal of Oubre is an intriguing one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

As long as we get a productive player or a young player with potential, it’s worth trading Reke. Your proposal of Oubre is an intriguing one.

I think the Wizards and the Raptors are in win-now mode and are getting itchy to attempt to close the gap with Celtics/Cavaliers. If the Raptors start slipping off that 1 seed, they could be in the market.

Wizards at the 4 seed may be perfect too.

Bucks/Knicks/Sixers/Heat...they all could be options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I don't see a mistake in signing Tyreke, the mistake was in giving Conley so much money that they couldn't sign other players 2. He has replaced Zs scoring but the chemistry of the team was destroyed. Other players aren't just standing around when he gets 11 assists, I think he may have had a 12 assist game 2, not sure about that though. If he wasn't on this team they may have had about 4 wins. If the goal of the last game last year wasn't to win, why was the starters even playing? It could be said that Fiz screwed himself in that game by playing them.

I didn't get to watch the Kings or Pelicans enough to have an opinion about him but I know Cousins and Davis was the go to guys on those teams.  Wasn't Tyreke with the Kings when Rudy went there?

They signed 2 max players Conley and Parsons, which the entire board was in agreement with. So your claim that Conley was the reason they could not sign other players is factually incorrect.

Also, had they wanted to, they could have signed both zbo and ta and not lost one of them, in addition to signing Ben and Tyreke.

If anything, the grizzlies made a mistake thinking Jam could replace zbo.

Also, Mike has earned his contract. I don't see you saying the same thing about Curry, who signed for 200 million and is currently hurt. Oh, but if the grizzlies are a lottery team, no matter how conley plays, that's on conley too. If conley gets hurt, well they should have known better.

The fact is that before Conley got the big contract, excluding his rookie year where other factors where at play, conley in 8 seasons missed 46 games due to injury.

Steph Curry in 8 years, for perspective, missed 66 games due to injury. And it would have been worse if it weren't for the strike season.

So, your issue with Conley is obvious has to be based off more than just injury concern. 

Steph has always been 1 ankle injury away from a career injury. KD had a more horrific injury than Conley has ever had, but you'd have shelled out the big bucks for him too. Same for Paul George.

The fact is other than a freak injury to Conley's face he has been a pretty healthy and reliable player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

What's the difference in MC driving and dishing and Tyreke doing the same thing? If Conley could shoot, he would shoot 2.

Conley is for better at running plays that keep everyone involved on offense in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The roster is still going to be crap while we have a drought of talent on it.

Parsons, Green, Wright, Chalmers, Martin, Davis, all have to go.

Maybe even McLemore, Ennis and Harrison.

That's nearly 2/3 of the roster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

The roster is still going to be crap while we have a drought of talent on it.

Parsons, Green, Wright, Chalmers, Martin, Davis, all have to go.

Maybe even McLemore, Ennis and Harrison.

That's nearly 2/3 of the roster

The grizzlies have been in the playoffs for 7 years in a row. The law of averages says that teams that are drafting sooner will close the gap on teams that aren't.

Other than the spurs who have pop, and the warriors who have an allstar teams, which team currently in the playoffs are immune to this fact? Houston might have one more good year, if that. Washington and Toronto, nope. Cleveland is already getting worse by the day.

Again, the grizzlies have nobody worth much right now outside of conley and gasol, they just need to get some more talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/12/2017 at 5:26 PM, smit-tay griz said:

Gasol for Koufos and pick?  SAC would have to add in half their team to make up the $14,000,000 in salary difference, and then we would have to waive a bunch of player and still pay them since no team would claim them.

Henson, Dellavedova, and pick?  I don't see improvement unless we get lucky with the pick, which likely will not be very high.

Why would we want Booker?

Do we only want Portis so he can lose his cool and take out another member of the roster, or do you expect him to become the next Ron Arrest/Mega World War?  If the latter better warn the fans (might want to add a legal clause to the tickets to preclude any lawsuits).

If you trade Gasol, try to get an expiring contract and a decent player and/or some kind of pick.  Then, with Wright, Ennis, Chalmers, and unnamed expiring we have room to resign Tyreke or another desirable FA (or maybe two depending on talent level) to go along with a potential lottery talent.

If we keep Marc we could trade Green to Indiana for Jefferson, who doesn't seem to be in their plans.  He's a better rebounder and scorer and could give us that inside presence we lost with Zach leaving, and maybe Marc would be more comfortable having a strong post player on the floor with him.  Since Marc will likely never be an uptempo player we could play hard-nosed basketball inside with the starters and have an uptempo second unit.

I'm sure my ideas are just as amateur, but so are everyone else's on these boards.

Smit I said at the beginning that I would rather not trade Gasol, because I don't think he is the problem, most of the rest of the roster is because they lack talent, and almost all are unlikely to progress and improve short to medium term (while Gasol is still able to function as a BB player.

Also not my opinion but read the article in GBB about Marc's likely trade value. If they are accurate, then a move of Marc may not net us anymore than by Kings/Bucks trade scenarios. That's why I wasn't in favour of trading Zach, and at this moment, not in favour of moving Marc because we probably won't get the value back that each of them brings/brought to THIS  team and roster.

The biggest problem we have is at starting PF and pairing Marc with someone  who can complement Marc's skills and bring something to the areas he lacks. That's why I mentioned Booker, he has a motor, can rebound, post up, play with guts. Green has no guts and no heart.

I mentioned Portis because he is the same but more skilled. He is way better than Green and cheap, plus Chicago now has 3PFs with the new guy Markkanen now starting, and Mirotic is probably preferred next. I don't know how Mirotic-Portis dynamic will continue to function and it may be irreparable but according to your Artest comments, does that mean Portis is branded for life never to be worthy of playing NBA ever again?

Your suggestion of Jefferson is viable, I hadn't realised he'd fallen out of favour and the rotation.

But anyone who thinks Green is the answer and a keeper is going to continue to be sorely disappointed in this team's performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

The roster is still going to be crap while we have a drought of talent on it.

Parsons, Green, Wright, Chalmers, Martin, Davis, all have to go.

Maybe even McLemore, Ennis and Harrison.

That's nearly 2/3 of the roster

You got to be kidding me, you only giving Davis part of 1 year?  Chalmers and Martin have to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You got to be kidding me, you only giving Davis part of 1 year?  Chalmers and Martin have to go.

I know you like him quite a bit, but unless something drastically changes Davis will not be able to contribute more than 10mins per game because he'd be fouled out. A guy's that commits more fouls than playing time is no use to this team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

They signed 2 max players Conley and Parsons, which the entire board was in agreement with. So your claim that Conley was the reason they could not sign other players is factually incorrect.

Also, had they wanted to, they could have signed both zbo and ta and not lost one of them, in addition to signing Ben and Tyreke.

If anything, the grizzlies made a mistake thinking Jam could replace zbo.

Also, Mike has earned his contract. I don't see you saying the same thing about Curry, who signed for 200 million and is currently hurt. Oh, but if the grizzlies are a lottery team, no matter how conley plays, that's on conley too. If conley gets hurt, well they should have known better.

The fact is that before Conley got the big contract, excluding his rookie year where other factors where at play, conley in 8 seasons missed 46 games due to injury.

Steph Curry in 8 years, for perspective, missed 66 games due to injury. And it would have been worse if it weren't for the strike season.

So, your issue with Conley is obvious has to be based off more than just injury concern. 

Steph has always been 1 ankle injury away from a career injury. KD had a more horrific injury than Conley has ever had, but you'd have shelled out the big bucks for him too. Same for Paul George.

The fact is other than a freak injury to Conley's face he has been a pretty healthy and reliable player.

You're wrong about that, I was NEVER in favor of giving Conley a max contract and I wanted Harrison Barnes instead of Parsons.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I know you like him quite a bit, but unless something drastically changes Davis will not be able to contribute more than 10mins per game because he'd be fouled out. A guy's that commits more fouls than playing time is no use to this team

Hey, young guys get charged with fouls they don't commit all the time.  He's going to have to get more playing time, the unit he has been playing on has been in the + category most of the year and now JB has dropped him behind Wright. Crazy. I want JM and JMG come out looking to shoot the ball instead of passing it all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You're wrong about that, I was NEVER in favor of giving Conley a max contract and I wanted Harrison Barnes instead of Parsons.

 

Everybody wanted barnes instead of parsons but barnes wasn't available. He only became available after the decision. And let me point out that even with a healthy barnes and Andrew bogut that the mavs still suck worse than the grizzlies.

The point is about conley that you were wrong then and you are still wrong. Mike had no significant injury history when the grizzlies signed him to a max deal prior to that year. And even with his 18 to 20 game injury that year he still went out and went up 2-1 against the warriors after major facial surgery, his contract also is now 50 million less than the super max deals of Curry and Harden, and that won't change, and yes he still has immense value despite what you think, if the grizzlies ever wanted to trade him. There would be suitors lined up to trade for him, if he were available.

Conley is always judged by championships that he didn't win, or allstar games he didn't go to, and that's fine, but Mike was worth the money and he still is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Everybody wanted barnes instead of parsons but barnes wasn't available. He only became available after the decision. And let me point out that even with a healthy barnes and Andrew bogut that the mavs still suck worse than the grizzlies.

The point is about conley that you were wrong then and you are still wrong. Mike had no significant injury history when the grizzlies signed him to a max deal prior to that year. And even with his 18 to 20 game injury that year he still went out and went up 2-1 against the warriors after major facial surgery, his contract also is now 50 million less than the super max deals of Curry and Harden, and that won't change, and yes he still has immense value despite what you think, if the grizzlies ever wanted to trade him. There would be suitors lined up to trade for him, if he were available.

Conley is always judged by championships that he didn't win, or allstar games he didn't go to, and that's fine, but Mike was worth the money and he still is.

 

About me being wrong about Conley is just your opinion and it's hard to tell when you are on your meds and when you aren't. 

He will NEVER be worth 30M a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

About me being wrong about Conley is just your opinion and it's hard to tell when you are on your meds and when you aren't. 

He will NEVER be worth 30M a year.

And you believe this because....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

The roster is still going to be crap while we have a drought of talent on it.

Parsons, Green, Wright, Chalmers, Martin, Davis, all have to go.

Maybe even McLemore, Ennis and Harrison.

That's nearly 2/3 of the roster

I can agree with all that except Davis. He's only 20 and he can fix the foul problem, one would think. I think he's going to be solid player in time. 

I still like What Parsons gives us all things considered. 

The rest of those guys...all I know is that I've seen enough to know I've seen too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You think Conley has had a bad achilles ever since he was a pro? Tyreke just came off a 30 point 11 assist 7 rebound game where he shot over 50% from 3 game, can you ever show me stats like that from Conley. I like ball stoppers who can do that. :) Quit trying to put the blame on Tyreke for all the inadequacies the teams he has played on. I like team ball but sometimes you just got to have a guy who can either put it in the hole or get fouled.

Conley had a 30 point/10 assist game last season as well as a 38 point/9 assist and a 27/12 and 29/8, and 29/7, as well as a few 20/10s, etc.  Don't act like Conley can't put up numbers like Tyreke does because it just isn't true.  I think Conley accomplishes it within the flow of the game better too.

Oh yeah, he also had a 35pt/9reb/8ast game  .... in the playoffs.  When has Tyreke done that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Conley never has put up numbers like that and still somehow the team has made the playoffs 7 consecutive years. I like winning more than losing while stuffing individual stats. I'm strange that way. 

Wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

I know you like him quite a bit, but unless something drastically changes Davis will not be able to contribute more than 10mins per game because he'd be fouled out. A guy's that commits more fouls than playing time is no use to this team

Learning how not to foul always takes time, especially for young defensive players.  Davis is challenging opponents when they get inside and that is good.  He may or may not pan out, but I think it's too early to decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

About me being wrong about Conley is just your opinion and it's hard to tell when you are on your meds and when you aren't. 

He will NEVER be worth 30M a year.

...and neither will any other player in the NBA but they will get paid what the market will bear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

About me being wrong about Conley is just your opinion and it's hard to tell when you are on your meds and when you aren't. 

He will NEVER be worth 30M a year.

And you believe this because......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's and interesting story on the Portis-Mirotic dynamic.

As I said, if we could somehow turn Green for Portis I'd be real happy with that.

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/21895942/niko-mirotic-bobby-portis-burying-hatchet-sparked-chicago-bulls-hot-streak

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now