Ndq0327    0

I didnt bring up Chris Johnson i was just replying to the post GTF put up but I'm just saying you are so concerned about our 50 win seasons and moderate playoff success now but what's going to happen when zach is too old and TA cant stop people anymore and Marc slows down.

All of these things are going to happen sooner rather than later and as constructed we are not built to sustain the level of play we are currently exhibiting when that happens.

Reasons why we waste FA signings on older vets to help in the short term, we trade draft picks in deals that haven't helped, our coach doesn't care about developing young players so the draft picks we do have are almost irrelevant. We rely tomuch on the core and it is always our downfall in the playoffs cause there is no help from the bench becuse we didnt bother developing them.

bobblybook1    0

I don't think keeping Vince, Green, and Calathes will do us any good. All three of these guys exhibited no offensive prowess. The only decent defender was Calathes. He just can't shoot well and lacks the ability to finish. Our 3, zebo,gasol, and Conley are a priority. Imagine bringing in an offensive threat! We could take a shot at the Harrison twins both exhibit an offensive game. I'll agree with keeping KK he's very underrated. Bring back Seth curry maybe? I mean anything is better than Calathes at ball distribution.

I didnt bring up Chris Johnson i was just replying to the post GTF put up but I'm just saying you are so concerned about our 50 win seasons and moderate playoff success now but what's going to happen when zach is too old and TA cant stop people anymore and Marc slows down.

All of these things are going to happen sooner rather than later and as constructed we are not built to sustain the level of play we are currently exhibiting when that happens.

Reasons why we waste FA signings on older vets to help in the short term, we trade draft picks in deals that haven't helped, our coach doesn't care about developing young players so the draft picks we do have are almost irrelevant. We rely tomuch on the core and it is always our downfall in the playoffs cause there is no help from the bench becuse we didnt bother developing them.

I agree that we have not developed our young players very well, but it doesn't help that we have not had many decent picks.

I know our guys are getting older.  If the FO moves any of our "core four" I'm not gonna cry.  I may disagree, but I'm just going to get behind the new guys.

Ndq0327    0

Only the pg seems to be worth drafting they seem like they are missing a trait that you find in most high level prospects. Though they could end up being legit players in the league.

I would use a second round pick on the pg and give him a shot through training camp

GrizzFan3    0

I like the idea of trading Jeff green and maybe somebody else to get monta in free agency. The only problem is he doesn't seem much like a team player.

Thomas    0

Been championing Ellis for years. Y'all can say whatever you want about him, but dude wants to play here and he's a very high-level scoring guard. I don't know why people - including those in our organization - keep turning their noses up at him. He's precisely what our backcourt has been lacking all these years, and he actually wants to sign here and play in this city.

Been championing Ellis for years. Y'all can say whatever you want about him, but dude wants to play here and he's a very high-level scoring guard. I don't know why people - including those in our organization - keep turning their noses up at him. He's precisely what we need the most in the backcourt and he actually wants to sign here and play in this city.

Maybe it was those games against us where he jacked up a ton of shots and finished with something like 2 points.

fanboyslim    0

Been championing Ellis for years. Y'all can say whatever you want about him, but dude wants to play here and he's a very high-level scoring guard. I don't know why people - including those in our organization - keep turning their noses up at him. He's precisely what our backcourt has been lacking all these years, and he actually wants to sign here and play in this city.

But would he sign for the MLE? Because that's all we can offer. If so, do it yesterday.

Thomas    0

Maybe it was those games against us where he jacked up a ton of shots and finished with something like 2 points.

He obviously let his love for Memphis get the best of him, so he threw the games.

Ellis all night.

Thomas    0

But would he sign for the MLE? Because that's all we can offer. If so, do it yesterday.

If you get off of Green, Carter, and/or Lee's deals wouldn't that create a pretty good chunk of cap space? I could see him coming here for 4/44.

it would have to be a trade more than likely , maybe a 2nd year option on a deal, can't see many dudes opting out to sign a long term deals this year . 

cdp    0

Resigning Gasol should be first priority. I see Calathes, Leuer, Koufos and even Udrih switching teams. Jeff will probably pick up his option which is alright, I don't see us being able to get anyone better to replace him.

The only free agents I think they need are a ball-handling 3pt threat capable of goin off any night (Lou Williams, CJ Watson) and a cheap Koufos replacement (Henry Sims, Cole Aldrich). That plus a rookie (Anderson) plus a vet 15th man (Chuck Hayes, anyone?) will make for a big roster upgrade. It's only half of what actually needs to be done; the rest is on Joerger and co switchin things up. Ideallly the rotation would look like;

Starters: Conley/Lee/Green/Randolph/Gasol

Bench: Williams/Adams/Allen/JaGreen/Sims

3rd stringers: Smith/Carter/Anderson/Stokes/Hayes

Ndq0327    0

Resigning Gasol should be first priority. I see Calathes, Leuer, Koufos and even Udrih switching teams. Jeff will probably pick up his option which is alright, I don't see us being able to get anyone better to replace him.

The only free agents I think they need are a ball-handling 3pt threat capable of goin off any night (Lou Williams, CJ Watson) and a cheap Koufos replacement (Henry Sims, Cole Aldrich). That plus a rookie (Anderson) plus a vet 15th man (Chuck Hayes, anyone?) will make for a big roster upgrade. It's only half of what actually needs to be done; the rest is on Joerger and co switchin things up. Ideallly the rotation would look like;

Starters: Conley/Lee/Green/Randolph/Gasol

Bench: Williams/Adams/Allen/JaGreen/Sims

3rd stringers: Smith/Carter/Anderson/Stokes/Hayes

You left out the draft picks

Ndq0327    0

Also the Lee plus Green lineup if very ineffective and Green doesnt play well with zbo and marc on the floor. I think we look to move green for a stretch big type and replace him with a wing with size that can shoot better

Cheap options kyle Singler, Omri Caspi, Wes Johnson, Joe Ingles, Jeff Taylor, Gerald Green, Jared Dudley, Dorell Wright.

Expensive options Kris Middleton Damare Carroll, Wes Mathews, Afflalo.

cdp    0

You left out the draft picks

I think we only have one? Whoever we draft will spend more time in Iowa than Memphis no doubt.

As for Green he'll have a full offseason/training camp with the team, time to rehab his back, and he'll be playing for a big contract next summer. He'll be a better fit next season.

fanboyslim    0

If you get off of Green, Carter, and/or Lee's deals wouldn't that create a pretty good chunk of cap space? I could see him coming here for 4/44.

You'd have to find teams to absorb all of Carter and Lee's salary, and still wouldn't get us under the cap due to all the cap holds we have. The problem is no matter how much space we have below the tax line, as long as we are one dollar over the cap all we can use for FAs other than our own is the MLE and QPon's TPE.

. one thing i think we do that sucks as a fan watching FA's go left & right is wait around a bit and let the market settle down . 

You'd have to find teams to absorb all of Carter and Lee's salary, and still wouldn't get us under the cap due to all the cap holds we have. The problem is no matter how much space we have below the tax line, as long as we are one dollar over the cap all we can use for FAs other than our own is the MLE and QPon's TPE.

i think the last time we used a tpe was to make the Courtney Lee trade work ... we've had tons of these that mostly just expire .

Ndq0327    0

We shouldn't have that many cap holds we haven't waived anyone with a big contract i think if we moved of of green and carter or lee and carter then we would have close to that amount of money to work with.

I'm unfamiliar of the cap hold thing sp i could be wrong but we shouldnt have many if any outstanding contracts on our cap.

fanboyslim    0

We shouldn't have that many cap holds we haven't waived anyone with a big contract i think if we moved of of green and carter or lee and carter then we would have close to that amount of money to work with.

I'm unfamiliar of the cap hold thing sp i could be wrong but we shouldnt have many if any outstanding contracts on our cap.

- Marc Gasol: $20.1M (7-year veteran, 30% of the projected $67M 2015-16 salary cap)

- Kosta Koufos: $5.7M (Bird-free agent, less than avg. salary, 190% of previous salary)

- Nick Calathes: $1.1M (RFA, qualifying offer)

- Our first round draft pick: $1M (25th pick)

- Our non-taxpayer MLE: $5.5M

- QPon's TPE: $3.1M

For a total of $36.5M in cap holds, to add to our current salary total of $50.5M, which leaves us at $87M or $19.9M over the cap.

Cap holds have nothing to do with waived contracts. In fact waiving a contract automatically eliminates its cap hold.