Sign in to follow this  
PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

Grit And Grind 4Eva! The Grizz Future Lineup?

Since this FO seems to believe in and want to continue the "Grit and Grind" style of basketball...that had me thinking. So i looked at the current roster and look at what young players (25yrs and younger) fits the style of play...and i notice something. Its purely my opinion...but with how the org. is now so focused on player development i believe they have some of their future starters already on the roster...and they are

C-Kosta Koufos-7'1-265-25yrs

PF-Jarnell Stokes-6'8-260-20yrs

SF-Jon Luer-6'10-228-25yrs

SG-Jordan Adams-6'5-209-20yrs

PG-Mike Conley-6'1-185-26yrs...the reason i put Conley here is because i don't think Calathes(6'6-213-25yrs),along with franklin(6'5-191-23yrs), will ever be able to crack the starting line up with Conley and Adams on the team

And being that nba player don't usually hit their prime until age 28...most of our guys have 3yrs of development to go through with some having 8yrs

just think in a few years that could be our stating five with a bench full of vets

udrih,calathes,lee,franklin,allen,pondexter,carter,randolph,gasol

with that being said i think Pera has set us up to be competitive for a long time..Your Opinions GrizzNation

King Dork    0

This team is guaranteed to win at least 20 games.

And all of you thinking Jon Leuer can play SF are on drugs, that is all.

Well_Pete    0

Koufos is going to get a much larger contract after this season as he is a more than serviceable back up center. I would be shocked if he is back with the Grizzlies unless the FO can get him at a reasonable deal. Other than Conley the rest of that starting 5 you list is 100% expendable. Adams and Stokes haven't played a NBA game, Luer is a decent 10th man, and Koufos has an extremely limited offensive game. It's a little early to crown them the future of the franchise.

This team is guaranteed to win at least 20 games. And all of you thinking Jon Leuer can play SF are on drugs, that is all.

^This. Jon Leuer has enough mobility issues trying o stay with PFs. Jon is definitely not a SF.

Teddy.B    0

Stokes would be overachieving to be a 3rd big on a playoff team. You want him to be a starting PF with the likes of Davis, Blake, Love, Aldridge??

This team is guaranteed to win at least 20 games. And all of you thinking Jon Leuer can play SF are on drugs, that is all.

http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2014/7/28/5942259/memphis-grizzlies-jon-leuer-interview-nickname-improving

"I asked Leuer if he had ever been asked to try playing some small forward or if the coaches felt his skills were best used in a stretch power forward position. "I was split to the 3 (small forward) a little bit last year at certain times in certain match-ups, and I feel comfortable doing that. But, I think I'm most effective as a 4 (power forward), and I think that is what I will mostly be playing next year."

So who is on drugs? I don't think Leuer is a solution to our SF conundrum but if not being able to guard is the only argument. Then that should've taken Mike Miller out of the rotation and killed all that noise about drafting Kyle Anderson. I mean we still drafted the worst wing athlete in the NCAA and are working on improving his athleticism so he can guard his position. the key is if he can offer enough offensively to offset his inability to defend. Leuer is a poor defender in the post and on the perimeter so it's just a matter of picking your poison. But atleast he has the length to contest on the perimeter. That's how Tayshaun survives.

King Dork    0

http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2014/7/28/5942259/memphis-grizzlies-jon-leuer-interview-nickname-improving

"I was split to the 3 (small forward) a little bit last year at certain times in certain match-ups"

So who is on drugs?

According to this, the coaching staff last year.

It's not just about poor defense, it's about him having zero of the offensive skill required to play a wing position in the NBA. Say what you will about Mike Miller but he could still handle the ball well, and Tayshaun can also. Kyle Anderson is a good ball handler and shooter, supposedly, but he hasn't played an NBA min yet so I wont even use him for this.

People act like just because Leuer can shoot (which I'm not even convinced that the guy has real 3pt range) you can just plug him in at sf and forget anything else because he can shoot. But can he cut like a wing? No. Can he run off screens? No. Dude is a run of the mill pick and pop big. He's a 10th man at doing that, he's Israeli ball level at playing SF.

According to this, the coaching staff last year. It's not just about poor defense, it's about him having zero of the offensive skill required to play a wing position in the NBA. Say what you will about Mike Miller but he could still handle the ball well, and Tayshaun can also. Kyle Anderson is a good ball handler and shooter, supposedly, but he hasn't played an NBA min yet so I wont even use him for this. People act like just because Leuer can shoot (which I'm not even convinced that the guy has real 3pt range) you can just plug him in at sf and forget anything else because he can shoot. But can he cut like a wing? No. Can he run off screens? No. Dude is a run of the mill pick and pop big. He's a 10th man at doing that, he's Israeli ball level at playing SF.

from same article, "I found it interesting that Leuer specifically mentioned ball-handling. It is no secret that one of the Grizzlies' glaring weaknesses is the ability to make plays off of the dribble or create shots for themselves. "I think that's one of those things about my game. I do feel comfortable putting the ball on the floor and making plays for myself and my teammates."

in today's NBA Leuer actually has more advanced ball-skills than about half the wing players. Not many have the ability to do what you described anymore. They just are primarily transition dunkers and spot-up shooters. The wing has been watered down offensively over the years outside of the elite players.

He played PG in high-school which is why he is more comfortable on the perimeter than he is in the paint. I feel much better with Leuer trying to "play-make" than i do Q-pon. However, i will reiterate that i don't think he is a solution to our SF problem i am just terrified of him being Zbo primary backup.

According to this, the coaching staff last year. It's not just about poor defense, it's about him having zero of the offensive skill required to play a wing position in the NBA. Say what you will about Mike Miller but he could still handle the ball well, and Tayshaun can also. Kyle Anderson is a good ball handler and shooter, supposedly, but he hasn't played an NBA min yet so I wont even use him for this. People act like just because Leuer can shoot (which I'm not even convinced that the guy has real 3pt range) you can just plug him in at sf and forget anything else because he can shoot. But can he cut like a wing? No. Can he run off screens? No. Dude is a run of the mill pick and pop big. He's a 10th man at doing that, he's Israeli ball level at playing SF.

i posted this video because it proves that luer has all the skills you say he doesn't ...yes it is a highlight videos but what got my attention was how many of them start from the perimeter...to me it proves he could be use a sf if used properly

King Dork    0

i posted this video because it proves that luer has all the skills you say he doesn't ...yes it is a highlight videos but what got my attention was how many of them start from the perimeter...to me it proves he could be use a sf if used properly

So because he could ball in college he can in the NBA? Heck Brian Scalabrine balled out in college, quiet that noise.

So because he could ball in college he can in the NBA? Heck Brian Scalabrine balled out in college, quiet that noise.
it shows that he has an perimeter skill set...you think he couldnt do any of those things even if he was on the court by himself...sometimes players have more move set than they show because the coach tells them to do only certain things esp. role players...if luer was given the green light to go out and play his off game like he want...i wouldnt be surprise if he did show the ability to get to the rim and cut to the basket plus make 3pt shoots

it shows that he has an perimeter skill set...you think he couldnt do any of those things even if he was on the court by himself...sometimes players have more move set than they show because the coach tells them to do only certain things esp. role players...if luer was given the green light to go out and play his off game like he want...i wouldnt be surprise if he did show the ability to get to the rim and cut to the basket plus make 3pt shoots

Good video. At the very least it shows Leuer has more ball-skills and better perimeter game than Tony, Tayshaun, and Qpon. Heck if Steve Novak can be classified as a SF then surely Leuer can steal some minutes there too. Offensively he already has the skillset to be effective on perimeter its the defensive-end that is his problem. But that is the exact same issue he has as a PF too.

Dwash    0
Good video. At the very least it shows Leuer has more ball-skills and better perimeter game than Tony, Tayshaun, and Qpon. Heck if Steve Novak can be classified as a SF then surely Leuer can steal some minutes there too. Offensively he already has the skillset to be effective on perimeter its the defensive-end that is his problem. But that is the exact same issue he has as a PF too.

I don't really like Leuer as a SF. Novak has a lightning quick release as well, so it allows him to get his shot off. SF aren't as "lazy" about defending the perimeter as bigs are. They are used to it. He will also have a harder time beating them off the dribble with a head fake or whatever. I just don't think he will be able to get the same type of shots against SF that he does now, but we will see if it happens.

I don't really like Leuer as a SF. Novak has a lightning quick release as well, so it allows him to get his shot off. SF aren't as "lazy" about defending the perimeter as bigs are. They are used to it. He will also have a harder time beating them off the dribble with a head fake or whatever. I just don't think he will be able to get the same type of shots against SF that he does now, but we will see if it happens.

those points are valid and speaks to why i don't think he is a solution for the SF spot.

It's just that i dislike him being the main backup to Zbo due to our style of play. Last season Leuer best games were always when we played more uptempo and when he was paired with Ed. Slowdown games exposed him too badly on the defensive side.

I think Zbo's backup should have the ability to either guard PF or C respectably and Leuer can't. His skillset is a nice to have but only as the 4th Big at best. Hopefully Kosta improves his face-up game so he can co-exist better with Zbo and fully secures the 3rd Big spot and Dave never puts Leuer and zbo in same lineup again.

Dwash    0
those points are valid and speaks to why i don't think he is a solution for the SF spot. It's just that i dislike him being the main backup to Zbo due to our style of play. Last season Leuer best games were always when we played more uptempo and when he was paired with Ed. Slowdown games exposed him too badly on the defensive side. I think Zbo's backup should have the ability to either guard PF or C respectably and Leuer can't. His skillset is a nice to have but only as the 4th Big at best. Hopefully Kosta improves his face-up game so he can co-exist better with Zbo and fully secures the 3rd Big spot and Dave never puts Leuer and zbo in same lineup again.

Well just curious, why does Z-bo's backup HAVE to be a good defender? Doesn't a Leuer-Koufus reserve front court get the job done against most reserve frontcourts?

If you need a bigger backup PF who can defend somebody that night, just go with KK. You need one to defend perimeter faceup bigs that night just go (gulp) Prince. In the end, I don't think this issue will cost us many games.

Stokes would be overachieving to be a 3rd big on a playoff team. You want him to be a starting PF with the likes of Davis, Blake, Love, Aldridge??
aldridge and blake are the only ones i see him having problems with but who doesn't....love only has an average post game...davis...well im'ma put it like this 6'10 220 vs 6'9 265...davis would prob have issues guarding him

Well just curious, why does Z-bo's backup HAVE to be a good defender? Doesn't a Leuer-Koufus reserve front court get the job done against most reserve frontcourts? If you need a bigger backup PF who can defend somebody that night, just go with KK. You need one to defend perimeter faceup bigs that night just go (gulp) Prince. In the end, I don't think this issue will cost us many games.

Because Zbo cant guard athletic PF's and gets destroyed on PNRolls. If you recall DAL SAS and OKC ate us up on PnRolls due to Zbo inability to defend it. They simply exploited him to death. The "Brandon Wright" game was a prime example when Joerger refused to play Ed to combat BW athleticism and PNRoll finishing ability.

The objective for the roster should be versatility on offense and defense. Healthy DA + Gasol + Zbo was the best 3big rotation we have ever had. Simply because that trio had pretty much every skillset needed to combat every team in the league. DA value was in his athleticism and ability to defend which was a great counter to Zbo. Ed also provided those same traits as well as James Johnson last season. joerger just didn't know how to maximize them.

Right now we have no one that can provide that unless Kosta really takes it up a notch. Basically we have 3 PFs and none of them are above average defenders, athletes, or even shotblockers. If Jarnell had the hops and athleticism of Joey Dorsey in his undersized frame i wouldn't be concerned at all.

All the top teams in the league are effective PickNroll teams. We have never won a series without some effective PickNroll coverage from our Bigs.

Hope that makes sense.

TimBC    0
aldridge and blake are the only ones i see him having problems with but who doesn't....love only has an average post game...davis...well im'ma put it like this 6'10 220 vs 6'9 265...davis would prob have issues guarding him

Hmm -

6'8" 245 lbs is Paul Millsap

6'7" 265 lbs is DeJuan Blair

6'9" 258 lbs is Carlos Boozer

6'9" 255 lbs is Nick Collison

6'9" 250 lbs is Karl Malone

to name just a few bulldozers.

Hmm - 6'8" 245 lbs is Paul Millsap 6'7" 265 lbs is DeJuan Blair 6'9" 258 lbs is Carlos Boozer 6'9" 255 lbs is Nick Collison 6'9" 250 lbs is Karl Malone to name just a few bulldozers.

you do notice that the only guy his weight is 2'inches shorter than him and the guys he is the same height as is atleast 7lbs lighter,the most being 20lbs

also i like the nickname young bull for stokes