Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

Will Last Night's Loss To The Spurs (And Marc's Loss) Nudge The Fo To Make A Move?

I don't know.

But a deal that needs to be seriously considered is:

Zach Randolph for Caron Butler and Ersan Ilyasova.

I am still not sure why this deal isn't being talking about. Except to say that it would be terrible to trade Zach over something like this given his desires to stay with the team. But the thing about it is, the grizzlies are boxed in if they don't upgrade the talent on this roster soon.

We just don't have enough quality players, and now with Marc being out and Zach playing great, it could be the time to strike a deal. I see no better deal than the milwaukee deal for Zach, it just makes too much sense.

The grizzlies get 8 million expiring contract (Butler) and Ersan, a big wing that can hit 3 pointers on a great 8 million a year deal.

Milwaukee needs low post scoring in the worst way to pair with their defenders: sanders and henson. They get one of the best in Zach.

That trade doesn't "upgrade the talent on the roster." Quite the opposite, really.

sorry Kevin, that would be horrible for obvious reasons. First we would have no post up game and too many old small forwards. EI is a nice player but not an all star/difference maker like zbo. Id trade Prince and ED for those two but not zbo- not now that zach is out. A griz team w/out the bruise bros on the floor seems sad.

That trade does "upgrade the talent on the roster." Quite the opposite, really.

your post confuses me. i assume that you are attempting to be sarcastic. i also assume there will be people on both sides of this argument.

however, the issue is how to improve the fastest, and one way to do it is to admittedly punt this season away so that we can get a higher draft pick, while at the same time getting a player that we need, a wing that can flat out score.

Does it leave a hole at pf, sure. But, the grizzlies weren't going anywhere WITH gasol and randolph playing well, so I don't see the grizzlies getting a very high seed or run in the playoffs without him.

I would rather punt this season and gets some young on the team.

We can't move Z-Bo he has proven that he still has something in the tank and with him saying he'd take less money I think he should stay. if this urges the FO to do anything it is make our expiring contracts plus either Q or Prince turn into something that will help once Marc gets back. We need an extra scoring option whether Marc is hurt or not. It's going to be rough without him but we should be able to maintain the next 1o or 11 games are at home, and they are favorable matchups so we should be able to rack up some wins.

Two important cliche's with regard to trades are; it is better to trade a player a year too soon than a year too late, and sometimes the best trade is the trade that you didn't make. ZBo can easily be one or the other cliche right now.

I think Ersan has yet to peak and could help this team, but he isn't worth losing ZBo right now. This year (from December 15th to February 20th) will be the best chance in many years for the Grizzlies to fleece a team in a trade. In another month there will be more teams joining the Wiggins sweepstakes, and they will be hitting the trade panic button. Only four of the fifteen teams in the East have a winning record. There is going to be some major trades made involving some very good talent, and the Grizzlies could be in a good position to benefit from those teams that throw the towel in.

I think the best move right now is no move.

We can't move Z-Bo he has proven that he still has something in the tank and with him saying he'd take less money I think he should stay. if this urges the FO to do anything it is make our expiring contracts plus either Q or Prince turn into something that will help once Marc gets back. We need an extra scoring option whether Marc is hurt or not. It's going to be rough without him but we should be able to maintain the next 1o or 11 games are at home, and they are favorable matchups so we should be able to rack up some wins.

The first thing you have to decide is what are your REALISTIC goals for the grizzlies.

Do you think the grizzlies are 1 piece away or more than 1 piece away? And if it is 1 piece away, which I am assuming that you believe they are, what KIND of piece is it?

It is my point of view is that the grizzlies are (when healthy) a ryan anderson player away from a real shot at a ring. The problem is that this is a little like saying, if the grizzlies only had Kevin Durant, they'd be a championship team.

Why? because there is no scenario that I can see, in which the grizzlies can trade for a ryan anderson type of player, or get one in free agency AND keep zbo.

If you think there is a way, then WHY haven't the grizzlies made that move?

So, people want to jump on me like I'm the bad guy for pointing out the obvious without seeing the reality of the situation. So, if you want to keep zbo, keep him. But you aren't going to convince me that the grizzlies have any chance of attracting a ryan anderson type a player without losing somebody significant, and the dorrel wrights of the world aren't going to get the grizzlies to the championship either.

So you might as well say that the grizzlies aren't playing for a championship, plain and simple.

Two important cliche's with regard to trades are; it is better to trade a player a year too soon than a year too late, and sometimes the best trade is the trade that you didn't make. ZBo can easily be one or the other cliche right now. I think Ersan has yet to peak and could help this team, but he isn't worth losing ZBo right now. This year (from December 15th to February 20th) will be the best chance in many years for the Grizzlies to fleece a team in a trade. In another month there will be more teams joining the Wiggins sweepstakes, and they will be hitting the trade panic button. Only four of the fifteen teams in the East have a winning record. There is going to be some major trades made involving some very good talent, and the Grizzlies could be in a good position to benefit from those teams that throw the towel in. I think the best move right now is no move.

this might be right if the grizzlies had salary cap space. Say the nets wanted to trade Paul Pierce, just how is that going to happen with the smallish contracts the grizzlies have on the team?

just about every player on the grizzlies team is important to the team, including ed davis. Your assumption just doesn't hold a lot a water because the teams interested in a trade would want young talent and the grizzlies don't have young talent to give them.

This belongs in trade talk or one of the other "trade everybody" threads that are on the main board.

But Marc is only out like 3 weeks

The first thing you have to decide is what are your REALISTIC goals for the grizzlies. Do you think the grizzlies are 1 piece away or more than 1 piece away? And if it is 1 piece away, which I am assuming that you believe they are, what KIND of piece is it? It is my point of view is that the grizzlies are (when healthy) a ryan anderson player away from a real shot at a ring. The problem is that this is a little like saying, if the grizzlies only had Kevin Durant, they'd be a championship team. Why? because there is no scenario that I can see, in which the grizzlies can trade for a ryan anderson type of player, or get one in free agency AND keep zbo. If you think there is a way, then WHY haven't the grizzlies made that move? So, people want to jump on me like I'm the bad guy for pointing out the obvious. So, if you want to keep zbo, keep him. But you aren't going to convince me that the grizzlies have any chance of attracting a ryan anderson type a player without losing somebody significant. So you might as well say that the grizzlies aren't playing for a championship, plain and simple.

I didn't even have to finish reading...I personally think the Grizz need a few pieces.

1) A starting caliber wing player that is a two way threat.

2) Athleticism from the bench

3) A heir to Z-Bo for when his decline really begins

4) Better outside shooters.

we don't need a big name player just the right role players to fill in around our core.

That's the 4 things I think we need for this team to be real contenders. The trade you are proposing only takes care of two but both are short term solutions. Caron Butler is old he isn't athletic but he can shoot I don't think he is much of a defensive threat either. Ilyasova can also shoot but he is a short tearm solution rather than a long term one he's not that athletic but he can also shoot, he could likely match Z-Bo production now but EI turns 30ish he won't be producing like he is now so we'll just be in this predicament all over again.

I think it takes a year or two to get the pieces in place to make us real contenders, but as of now we really need better scoring from the wings which we should be able to get by moving Davis Bayless Q or Prince in some package we don't have to use the big gun right now.

This belongs in trade talk or one of the other "trade everybody" threads that are on the main board. But Marc is only out like 3 weeks

it should be longer than three weeks unless "The Wolverine" is his cousin he can't heal that fast.

I didn't even have to finish reading...I personally think the Grizz need a few pieces. 1) A starting caliber wing player that is a two way threat. 2) Athleticism from the bench 3) A heir to Z-Bo for when his decline really begins 4) Better outside shooters. That's the 4 things I think we need for this team to be real contenders. The trade you are proposing only takes care of two but both are short term solutions. Caron Butler is old he isn't athletic but he can shoot I don't think he is much of a defensive threat either. Ilyasova can also shoot but he is a short tearm solution rather than a long term one he's not that athletic but he can also shoot, he could likely match Z-Bo production now but EI turns 30ish he won't be producing like he is now so we'll just be in this predicament all over again. I think it takes a year or two to get the pieces in place to make us real contenders, but as of now we really need better scoring from the wings which we should be able to get by moving Davis Bayless Q or Prince in some package we don't have to use the big gun right now.

I don't agree moving davis bayless q or prince will get us better scorers on the wings. bayless and q can shoot the 3, prince's contract is untradeable and if you want to deal ed davis, be my guest but you do it and there is no backup pf.

and by the way, who are we going to get on the wings with those guys and what will it do for the grizzlies playoff run?

be specific

this might be right if the grizzlies had salary cap space. Say the nets wanted to trade Paul Pierce, just how is that going to happen with the smallish contracts the grizzlies have on the team? just about every player on the grizzlies team is important to the team, including ed davis. Your assumption just doesn't hold a lot a water because the teams interested in a trade would want young talent and the grizzlies don't have young talent to give them.
The Nets can win their division with a losing record, which will get them in the playoffs. The Nets first step in hitting the panic button will be firing Kidd, and until that happens, they are still all in.

Tanking teams don't care about young talent. You obviously don't realize how important this draft is to many teams. There will be trades made that make no sense to most fans, and this year there will be more teams wanting to tank than in many years, making it a buyers market.

My assumption does hold water, and makes more sense than getting rid of our best scorer because of a short term injury. You never gain the upper hand by panicking and that is what you are claiming the Grizzlies should do.

it should be longer than three weeks unless "The Wolverine" is his cousin he can't heal that fast.

Its only a grade 2 mcl sprain. For a normal person the average recovery time is 2-4 weeks so a professional athlete with all the treatment options they have should be fine. He will probably be back in 3 weeks

The Nets can win their division with a losing record, which will get them in the playoffs. The Nets first step in hitting the panic button will be firing Kidd, and until that happens, they are still all in. Tanking teams don't care about young talent. You obviously don't realize how important this draft is to many teams. There will be trades made that make no sense to most fans, and this year there will be more teams wanting to tank than in many years, making it a buyers market. My assumption does hold water, and makes more sense than getting rid of our best scorer because of a short term injury. You never gain the upper hand by panicking and that is what you are claiming the Grizzlies should do.

I don't see, even a tanking team, trading PP for Tay Prince. That just ain't going to happen. As much as people like to ship ed davis everywhere, ed davis is a pretty important piece to the grizzlies team.

probably the most expendable players on the grizzlies are: Q? Even bayless has worth in small ball basketball the grizzlies might want to play. But I suspect that since Q got a contract that he'll be in the grizzlies plans for the future, also.

This belongs in trade talk or one of the other "trade everybody" threads that are on the main board.

But Marc is only out like 3 weeks

Probably more like 6, he needs to really let that knee heal before he even thinks about coming back. It's a long season but i expect him back around the new year

I don't see, even a tanking team, trading PP for Tay Prince. That just ain't going to happen. As much as people like to ship ed davis everywhere, ed davis is a pretty important piece to the grizzlies team. probably the most expendable players on the grizzlies are: Q? Even bayless has worth in small ball basketball the grizzlies might want to play. But I suspect that since Q got a contract that he'll be in the grizzlies plans for the future, also.
If the Nets are still at the bottom of their division in mid February, they will be dumping salary in any way imaginable. They are on pace to pay over 80 million just in luxury tax penalties, which has never been seen before. There is no way to figure out who they would take being faced with that before the trading deadline, but it is safe to say that they will want to minimize their penalties if they are a non playoff team.

I don't agree moving davis bayless q or prince will get us better scorers on the wings. bayless and q can shoot the 3, prince's contract is untradeable and if you want to deal ed davis, be my guest but you do it and there is no backup pf. and by the way, who are we going to get on the wings with those guys and what will it do for the grizzlies playoff run? be specific

Scorer thats 1 not multiple if you look at it right now out of just those three guys we are barely getting any help so turn two of them into a guy that can get you at least 12 a night plus the occasion hot night where he blows up for 20+ then we have our offense from the wing. You put Davis in the deal because we aren't using him anyways so sell him off his potential and expiring contract to help get something we need.

Moses, not to pile on, but that is an asinine trade. Not a fan of either of those players -Zbo worth WAAAAY more than that to our team.

For the life of me, I can't understand the desire to trade the best player in the history of the franchise for peanuts... Do you even like the team? Why do you watch?

Scorer thats 1 not multiple if you look at it right now out of just those three guys we are barely getting any help so turn two of them into a guy that can get you at least 12 a night plus the occasion hot night where he blows up for 20+ then we have our offense from the wing. You put Davis in the deal because we aren't using him anyways so sell him off his potential and expiring contract to help get something we need.

a guy?

what guy, let's be specific. And which two guys can turn those guys into a guy. again, folks keeping saying lets get a guy, but which guy is that?

wing scorers command a price. you want guys like ryan anderson, gordon heyward, klay thompson: so does the rest of the league. I don't think arron affalo is that good, but even him, you ain't getting him without giving up something big in return.

again, you have no solutions to the problem, and that's why you can't be specific. and while you certainly can make the claim that my solution isn't a solution either, at least it DOES something rather than sitting still and praying.

even if you don't think ersan is that good, the grizzlies get flexibility in the deal that they didn't have before.

Moses, not to pile on, but that is an asinine trade. Not a fan of either of those players -Zbo worth WAAAAY more than that to our team. For the life of me, I can't understand the desire to trade the best player in the history of the franchise for peanuts... Do you even like the team? Why do you watch?

what do you believe is a valid deal then? or are you trying to convince me that the grizzlies are championship material standing pat? if so, man up and say it.

a guy? what guy, let's be specific. And which two guys can turn those guys into a guy. again, folks keeping saying lets get a guy, but which guy is that? wing scorers command a price. you want guys like ryan anderson, gordon heyward, klay thompson: so does the rest of the league. I don't think arron affalo is that good, but even him, you ain't getting him without giving up something big in return. again, you have no solutions to the problem, and that's why you can't be specific. and while you certainly can make the claim that my solution isn't a solution either, at least it DOES something rather than sitting still and praying. even if you don't think ersan is that good, the grizzlies get flexibility in the deal that they didn't have before.

we've already discussed different players in multiple threads I'm not really sure why you made this thread since we already had a "do we need to make a trade thread" that we have discussed multiple players. You keep name dropping big names where it's obvious we can't get one of those guys. I'm not going to make a list of guys that would fill this need because I'm sure I already have somewhere else. there are multiple wing players sitting on benches in the league not getting any burn or just not playing because their respective teams are tanking. We just need to wait till the firesale starts and we will get what we need then.