Sign in to follow this  
BeBoutBidness

What If Lionel Hollins Leaves?

One thing no one has really discussed about if Lionel Hollins leaves. What if he takes Dave Joerger with him? or Coach Dave Joerger says no to the Grizzlies. It is not set in stone that he'll stay. What if the Cippers get Hollins and then Brooklyn goes after Joerger? Then what.....

I doubt Joerger would leave with him. DJ now sees the writing on the wall that he WILL be a head coach of a team and I doubt he wants to keep being an assistant.

If LH leaves? Then maybe the team can run a halfcourt offense that is not from his NBA playing days in 1978 or whenever.

Last I checked this is 2013.

Rocks Springs Middle School's girls basketball team has more motion in it's halfcourt offense than what he let the Grizz run.

Last I checked Joerger was a defensive coach, not an offensive one. But I can totally see how being a great defensive coach automatically makes you a great offensive coach.

You guys are making delusional assumptions just because you want change, not because it's whats best for the team.

One thing no one has really discussed about if Lionel Hollins leaves. What if he takes Dave Joerger with him? or Coach Dave Joerger says no to the Grizzlies. It is not set in stone that he'll stay. What if the Cippers get Hollins and then Brooklyn goes after Joerger? Then what.....

The FO is not stupid. They would not let Hollins go unless they had a solid back up plan, which is Joerger.

Joerger won't leave MEM for the same reason Hollins didn't want to leave: he help build the success of this team and has a good relationship with the players.

That continuity is EXACTLY WHY the FO let Hollins go. Continuity of players and coaches is a really underrated factor in NBA success and being able to maintain that continuity, while getting a solid coach who would actually listen to them, is why Hollins was expendable.

That continuity is EXACTLY WHY the FO let Hollins go. Continuity of players and coaches is a really underrated factor in NBA success and being able to maintain that continuity, while getting a solid coach who would actually listen to them, is why Hollins was expendable.

I feel like this post is a contradiction. If we wanted continuity then we would retain our head coach, right?

I feel like this post is a contradiction. If we wanted continuity then we would retain our head coach, right?

But decisions aren't made on one factor alone.

Joerger brings continuity without baggage.

Last I checked Joerger was a defensive coach, not an offensive one. But I can totally see how being a great defensive coach automatically makes you a great offensive coach.

You guys are making delusional assumptions just because you want change, not because it's whats best for the team.

Thank you!!! I am glad I am not the only one who sees this.

If we want a better offense bring in Shaw and the triangle - at least he has proven offensive success.

Think Shaw would come in as an offensive assistant?

He's been trying to get a HC job for years and has been passed over so its possible.

I don't think many people think much of the triangle unless its Phil.

Thank you!!! I am glad I am not the only one who sees this. If we want a better offense bring in Shaw and the triangle - at least he has proven offensive success.

Again, offensive success in the modern NBA is not just about a 'system'. What's the name of system would you say the Spurs had where they completely shredded our defense?

Their system is simple: run a pick and roll, move without the ball and have shooters to space the floor. The reason they were successful was because they have been working on this motion offense for years (basically since we shredded them in 2011) and had a comfort level with each other that Grizz did not have. This was clear to me watching the Tony Parker/Tim Duncan pick roll where Parker would pass the ball with like Tom Brady like accuracy. Those two players have had 10 years to work on this play.

I believe no matter who is coach, as longs as they are able to get reliable shooters, Conley/Gasol will be able to duplicate that success.

He's been trying to get a HC job for years and has been passed over so its possible.

I don't think many people think much of the triangle unless its Phil.

He turned down some offers last summer. Bobcats wanted him for sure.

Everybody talkin' bout Joerger and a month ago you didn't even know who he was. :ph34r:/>
-

Sure we do. We had this same discussion last year, although it was certainly more low-key.

And it has popped up again every time we lost two games in a row or even two out of three.

Nope. He's in the running for head coaching positions with teams.

Mike Wells@MikeWellsNBA16m

Frank Vogel may need a new lead assistant cause Nets GM Billy King has done a lot of background checking on Brian Shaw, according to sources

Mike Wells@MikeWellsNBA15m

Shaw sweepstake officially started last night. As @BA_Turner reported last wk, the Clips reached out to Shaw's rep to see if he's interested

Looks like Hollins may lose this battle of musical coaching chairs, which sucks for him and is a bad look for the Grizz FO.

Mike Wells@MikeWellsNBA16m

Frank Vogel may need a new lead assistant cause Nets GM Billy King has done a lot of background checking on Brian Shaw, according to sources

Mike Wells@MikeWellsNBA15m

Shaw sweepstake officially started last night. As @BA_Turner reported last wk, the Clips reached out to Shaw's rep to see if he's interested

Looks like Hollins may lose this battle of musical coaching chairs, which sucks for him and is a bad look for the Grizz FO.

I really think it would be worse if Hollins came into town with CP3 and Blake next year vs him sitting on NBA TV.