Sign in to follow this  
BeBoutBidness

What If Lionel Hollins Leaves?

You may be right, but I have heard nothing about any offers and don't expect to. The truth is no one here knows what he is asking or what he has been offered. So we don't know if they are trying to lowball him or if he has received a generous offer.

We really don't know squat.

Mo was probably on a plane before we knew.he was gone.

You know Vasquez did set a record for most TOs for the Hornets, don't you? That's offensive, not defensive.

Also, I think we are beginning to see how valuable QPon is going to be now that his injury has healed and he has gotten through with his personal relationship problems. Dont get me wrong, I see what Greivis has done for the past couple years in NOLA, but I do undertstand wanting a player with the potential of Pondexter.

What I want Lionel to do (if he is retained) is to from the get go, play Wroten, Ed Davis, Dante Green or whoever else is on the bench. Sure, we will take some lumps and maybe lose a couple games we are supposed to win, but that is what Pops did with Splitter. He kept playing Splitter and look at what he has turned into now. And Pops does it with all his players.

Pops plays his players. He lets them learn by making mistakes in game situations. Lionel has never been good at doing that. Part of that is that Lionel felt pressure to win games. Just win games and get in the playoffs with the best seed. Pops doesnt have that pressure. Pops has 3 HOF players who have been with him at least 9-10 years. Lionel doesnt have that. As competitive as the West is, any game can be the difference between home court advantage and not having it, so I understand why Lionel didnt want to trust the youngsters. Its a fine line to walk but Lionel is going to have to use these players.

The FO that is going to require it, so he needs to start from the jump. Let these guys get game experience and start it in November. Let them learn how to play in pressure situations early in the season so that they wont be completely useless later in the year.

I felt so bad for TWroten who was put in against the Spurs only to look horrible as he kept driving to the basket and having TimmyD just keep blocking his shot. Wroten didnt know anything else to do. He had no real experience to draw upon.

If Lionel is able to save his job, I bet we are going to see more of the young/new players play. I think Jason is going to require it.

But we should just pay the man whatever he want lol!

Not many business minds on the board.

Ha!

Also, I think we are beginning to see how valuable QPon is going to be now that his injury has healed and he has gotten through with his personal relationship problems. Dont get me wrong, I see what Greivis has done for the past couple years in NOLA, but I do undertstand wanting a player with the potential of Pondexter. What I want Lionel to do (if he is retained) is to from the get go, play Wroten, Ed Davis, Dante Green or whoever else is on the bench. Sure, we will take some lumps and maybe lose a couple games we are supposed to win, but that is what Pops did with Splitter. He kept playing Splitter and look at what he has turned into now. And Pops does it with all his players. Pops plays his players. He lets them learn by making mistakes in game situations. Lionel has never been good at doing that. Part of that is that Lionel felt pressure to win games. Just win games and get in the playoffs with the best seed. Pops doesnt have that pressure. Pops has 3 HOF players who have been with him at least 9-10 years. Lionel doesnt have that. As competitive as the West is, any game can be the difference between home court advantage and not having it, so I understand why Lionel didnt want to trust the youngsters. Its a fine line to walk but Lionel is going to have to use these players. The FO that is going to require it, so he needs to start from the jump. Let these guys get game experience and start it in November. Let them learn how to play in pressure situations early in the season so that they wont be completely useless later in the year. I felt so bad for TWroten who was put in against the Spurs only to look horrible as he kept driving to the basket and having TimmyD just keep blocking his shot. Wroten didnt know anything else to do. He had no real experience to draw upon. If Lionel is able to save his job, I bet we are going to see more of the young/new players play. I think Jason is going to require it.
Pops hasn't been coaching for his job, has he? I saw someone say he bet Pops didn't tell R C Buford what to do, it wouldn't surprise me if he did, I do believe Pops resigned as GM and appointed Buford to the job. returned to San Antonio on May 31, 1994, as the Spurs executive vice president of basketball operations/ general manager (served as GM for eight seasons before turning the job over to R.C. Buford on July 1, 2002) … named the Spurs head coach in December of 1996

Mark Jackson has only been coaching 2 years, this is the first year his team has been in the playoffs, Lionel has had the Grizzlies in the playoffs 3 straight years.

Your point?

Gotta look at what coaches are paid now not in the future.

Gsw could miss the playoffs.

Unlike our FO gsws FO have left them stuck with Two really bad contracts.

Jack and landy can opt out gonna be hard to keep them.

Based upon Calkins article in the CA today, it sounds like Hollins has the popular support among the average Grizzlies fans in the city. Might explain why the grizzlies are back in negotiations with him. Vernon has been saying it was because "Lionel has been humbled", but I wonder if it is instead because the FO is seeing the PR implications.

It was time for Fisher to go. He's not building a winner in STL, He's building mediocrity, if he still has the same smashmouth philosophy he had in TN. the game has passed Fisher by. As far as Hollins and the Grizz, I like Hollins and what he brings, but is that the right fit for a small market team like the Grizz? Hollins doesn't seem to want to work to help develop young players or a bench. The analytics say that these are the bet routes to go with a small market team (can't do what Boston and Miami did in terms of roster development and building a winner, and that is what Hollins is better suited for). I personnally think that the Grizz had enough on the bench to counter what SA was doing to Z-Bo, but Hollins hadn't done enough in developing the bench to make it of much use in the playoffs (the Defensive deficiencies with Daye and Wroten could have been helped by more playing time in the regular season, and we sure could have used Daye's shooting and Wrotens speed against Parker).

Like I said earler, We Ram fans thank you everyday for giving him to us. As far as mediocrity goes, the Rams already have one of the best d's in the league and when Tavon, Steady, Cookie, & Stacey all get in sync with Sam and last yrs. rookies, nobody is going to want to play them. Oh yeah thanks for Cookie also.

Based upon Calkins article in the CA today, it sounds like Hollins has the popular support among the average Grizzlies fans in the city. Might explain why the grizzlies are back in negotiations with him. Vernon has been saying it was because "Lionel has been humbled", but I wonder if it is instead because the FO is seeing the PR implications.

The F.O. better consider the PR implications. Need those butts in the seats.

People will forgot about Lionel if we win 50+ games next year and make it to the second round.

Lionel leaving will be unpopular with fans, but, if they truly believe it's the right decision, I hope it happens.

The PR implications have been there from day 1. Nothing has changed. If things keep going as they are, I fully expect Lionel to continue to self-destruct publicly as we saw earlier this week. That guy is a nightmare if you put a microphone in his face.

People will forgot about Lionel if we win 50+ games next year and make it to the second round. Lionel leaving will be unpopular with fans, but, if they truly believe it's the right decision, I hope it happens. The PR implications have been there from day 1. Nothing has changed. If things keep going as they are, I fully expect Lionel to continue to self-destruct publicly as we saw earlier this week. That guy is a nightmare if you put a microphone in his face.

Did you listen to the 56 interview? That was far from a nightmare, plus around the nation a lot of people heard Lionel on the Mike & Mike show on ESPN multiple times during the playoffs. Lionel doesn't tolerate fools, and gets tired of hearing the same question asked repeatedly. To a lot of people, he comes off okay, like a normal guy that cannot understand why the reporter is asking such a dumb question.

Plus, what if we start off slow, and don't win 50 games or reach the playoffs? The front office will catch the heat for that. It is one thing to if Lionel was here and we are not as good as this past season. Most people would put that down to overachieving this year. But dismiss Lionel, and his departure will be seen as a reason for any drop off by the team and players.

Did you listen to the 56 interview? That was far from a nightmare, plus around the nation a lot of people heard Lionel on the Mike & Mike show on ESPN multiple times during the playoffs. Lionel doesn't tolerate fools, and gets tired of hearing the same question asked repeatedly. To a lot of people, he comes off okay, like a normal guy that cannot understand why the reporter is asking such a dumb question.

Plus, what if we start off slow, and don't win 50 games or reach the playoffs? The front office will catch the heat for that. It is one thing to if Lionel was here and we are not as good as this past season. Most people would put that down to overachieving this year. But dismiss Lionel, and his departure will be seen as a reason for any drop off by the team and players.

His interview with Sports 56 had some ridiculous statements. Lionel needs to keep his mouth shut. We've never heard anyone in the FO ever say anything critical of him.

I think the possibility of this team not making the playoffs is remote. I just don't see this roster being a lottery team. Will we win 56 games? I don't know. I don't know how much other teams will improve or who we will add or trade. The FO will catch heat if we don't win, but these guys want to win. There's more money in winning than losing.

If they really want to let Lionel go, he must have been a real jerk to work with behind the scenes. That's my thinking at least.

His interview with Sports 56 had some ridiculous statements. Lionel needs to keep his mouth shut. We've never heard anyone in the FO ever say anything critical of him. I think the possibility of this team not making the playoffs is remote. I just don't see this roster being a lottery team. Will we win 56 games? I don't know. I don't know how much other teams will improve or who we will add or trade. The FO will catch heat if we don't win, but these guys want to win. There's more money in winning than losing. If they really want to let Lionel go, he must have been a real jerk to work with behind the scenes. That's my thinking at least.

What matters most is that the players go all out for this guy. No matter what your opinion of how he is to the media he has the respsect of his players. That is what is important. That is why the Grizzlies kept winning.

His interview with Sports 56 had some ridiculous statements. Lionel needs to keep his mouth shut. We've never heard anyone in the FO ever say anything critical of him. I think the possibility of this team not making the playoffs is remote. I just don't see this roster being a lottery team. Will we win 56 games? I don't know. I don't know how much other teams will improve or who we will add or trade. The FO will catch heat if we don't win, but these guys want to win. There's more money in winning than losing. If they really want to let Lionel go, he must have been a real jerk to work with behind the scenes. That's my thinking at least.

Lionel never claimed the FO said anything. He claims several members of the media are blowing things out of proportion, and making false claims about friction between himself and the front office, and between him and some of the players. The media is who are escalating this contract negotiation into being a done deal that he is gone, even though he doesn't want to leave.

What matters most is that the players go all out for this guy. No matter what your opinion of how he is to the media he has the respsect of his players. That is what is important. That is why the Grizzlies kept winning.

So what?

Am I to believe he's the only coach who these guys will play hard for?

Which players does he have the respect of? The two most beloved Grizzlies (Zach and Tony) have strained relationships with him, if we're to believe what's been reported.

Lionel is a good coach. But, he comes with certain baggage that the FO may not want to deal with for the next four years. He's publicly criticized them on more than one occasion. I just don't think that will work with these new guys.

Lionel never claimed the FO said anything. He claims several members of the media are blowing things out of proportion, and making false claims about friction between himself and the front office, and between him and some of the players. The media is who are escalating this contract negotiation into being a done deal that he is gone, even though he doesn't want to leave.

That's just not true. The negotiations between the two sides stalled because of differences in philosophies. They didn't even discuss money or the amount of years on his contract extension. Those differences existed since day one. The media just reported why the negotiations went south.

Even if the media is blowing things out of proportion, where there's smoke there's fire. It's been an unhappy marriage for awhile now.

The two most beloved Grizzlies (Zach and Tony) have strained relationships with him, if we're to believe what's been reported.

Reported by Peter Vecsey (who is a rumor monger), Adrian Wojnaroski (who has been righting anti-Grizz stories for the last two seasons) and Chris Vernon (who has been anti-Lionel for the last few months). Consider the sources of the reports.

That's just not true. The negotiations between the two sides stalled because of differences in philosophies. They didn't even discuss money or the amount of years on his contract extension. Those differences existed since day one. The media just reported why the negotiations went south. Even if the media is blowing things out of proportion, where there's smoke there's fire. It's been an unhappy marriage for awhile now.

And there are backing talk now, so negotiations are not stalled. Even Vernon has reported they are back talking.

Reported by Peter Vecsey (who is a rumor monger), Adrian Wojnaroski (who has been righting anti-Grizz stories for the last two seasons) and Chris Vernon (who has been anti-Lionel for the last few months). Consider the sources of the reports.

Zach has taken shots at Lionel publicly in the past. Look at some of his comments last year after the Clippers series. I really don't think all the guys in that locker room like Lionel.

But, I'm not in that locker room. Nor are you. All I can say is that there are some negative reports and some comments made by an unhappy player.

And there are backing talk now, so negotiations are not stalled. Even Vernon has reported they are back talking.

Vernon just told his audience about the report in the CA by Lionel's buddy Ron Tllery.

I imagine both sides will continue to talk, but it doesn't appear a deal will be reached because of their fundemental differences in how to run a team. Maybe they will sign a short term deal, but even Tillery doesn't put it at more than a 20% chance.

Zach has taken shots at Lionel publicly in the past. Look at some of his comments last year after the Clippers series. I really don't think all the guys in that locker room like Lionel. But, I'm not in that locker room. Nor are you. All I can say is that there are some negative reports and some comments made by an unhappy player.

LH is very politically incorrect for sure but he has his players back and they know it. That makes for a very strong team. His players know that he will take as much as he gives and that is something. I don't know if any of you might have seen the post game interview of Parker. He was asked about his coach and he said that for the first couple of yrs. he was scared to death of Pops but now he understands him. Also I don't know of how many times I have heard about how Pops treats the media. YOU HAD BETTER MAKE SURE YOU'RE ASKING HIM A RELEVANT QUESTION!!!

One more thing Wells is absolutely right about next yr. If LH is gone & the team doesn't do as good or better than this yrs, the people will quit buying tickets and the FO will be blamed. That's just the way it works.

Zach has taken shots at Lionel publicly in the past. Look at some of his comments last year after the Clippers series. I really don't think all the guys in that locker room like Lionel. But, I'm not in that locker room. Nor are you. All I can say is that there are some negative reports and some comments made by an unhappy player.

I promise you the only player that is fully in Hollins corner is Mike Conley(for obvious reasons). His whole Coach by feel and old school cussing of players has not endeared him to the roster as some people may try to make you think. They do respect him, which is important, but majority of the main guys will be fine with Joerger replacing Hollins.

Teams can be successful even if they don't all love each other and aren't all BFF's. (see any championship Laker team).

I promise you the only player that is fully in Hollins corner is Mike Conley(for obvious reasons). His whole Coach by feel and old school cussing of players has not endeared him to the roster as some people may try to make you think. They do respect him, which is important, but majority of the main guys will be fine with Joerger replacing Hollins. Teams can be successful even if they don't all love each other and aren't all BFF's. (see any championship Laker team).

How do you know this?

How do you know this?

Well I was chilling with Jon Leuer yesterday eating some chicken fingers at Gus's and he said that he's got Lionel's back too...

I kid, I kid.